Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Kinell. All sorts in here.
This will blow over. No one got really hurt so the most Harry will get is a fine.

Btw. It got me thinking; I don’t remember even seeing Greek police on the islands but then again when it was late in the evening I typically had tunnel vision.

Crashoutcassius

Surely banging out an Albanian gangster after he stabbed your sister should be viewed as admirable and certainly forgivable. Especially compared to some other shit we’ve seen in football (besides the really bad rapist/nonces). Richard Keogh just signed for MK Dons, Rooney did some dodgy shit, didn’t Barkley have a fight recently too?

Why’s this so blown out of proportion?
Because he's not a hipster centre back and there's a wierd agenda that Fernandez should be captain among the forum FIFA players

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Because he's not a hipster centre back and there's a wierd agenda that Fernandez should be captain among the forum FIFA players
I think he may lose his captaincy to be honest, especially if he’s found guilty of something and further details come to light - but even if he just smacked someone who was being annoying it’s not outrageous. Our own previous captains have done worse before.

And if he does by the way, why not Bruno? A fighter that’s guaranteed to start.

Crashoutcassius

I think he may lose his captaincy to be honest, especially if he’s found guilty of something and further details come to light - but even if he just smacked someone who was being annoying it’s not outrageous. Our own previous captains have done worse before.

And if he does by the way, why not Bruno? A fighter that’s guaranteed to start.
If ole and team thinks it's right then no reason why not. Laughable to think any of us would know the best captain, especially to the point we would wish something happen to our best defender to secure it

Jibbs

The racist pigs at "The Sun" are reporting: "It is understood she was stabbed by Albanian-type gangsters".

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Spending 63k on drinks... he should have spare 1/10th on it to employ a security man to help him do the fight instead.

Son

We kinda do have hipster CB’s. You always want the thing you do not have though.

It’s only the reason his name is Harry and not Rafael Maguire he’s not a hipster CB.

I actually think he’s a top player on his day and one of our best but the guy is an embarrassment for what happened.

I had so much hope for this summer but it’s been a disaster so far. Can’t give us much of a hope of titles next year. At least right now with the mood around the club and terrible exit in the Europa league.

Sevilla was a shocker, disaster really after the money we’ve spent.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Nothing to do with his name. Roy keane didn't come in and become captain straight away. A player who has never won anything and never played for a big club or in the CL comes in and is captain day 1 without having played a single game for us. It's completely ridiculous and embarrassing.

Andersonson

Nothing to do with his name. Roy keane didn't come in and become captain straight away. A player who has never won anything and never played for a big club or in the CL comes in and is captain day 1 without having played a single game for us. It's completely ridiculous and embarrassing.
Why? What if he's the best choice? You think the squad seems to be filled with captains?

Kostov

Roy Keane came in in 1993 to a team consisting of Schmeichel, Steve Bruce, Cantona, Irwin and Bryan Robson among a long list of big characters, Maguire came in into a team being captained by Ashley Young. Yeah not that embarrassing and shocking in my book. The embarrassing thing is how we managed to assemble such a spineless squad with lack of leaders and proper characters.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Roy Keane came in in 1993 to a team consisting of Schmeichel, Steve Bruce, Cantona, Irwin and Bryan Robson among a long list of big characters, Maguire came in into a team being captained by Ashley Young. Yeah not that embarrassing and shocking in my book. The embarrassing thing is how we managed to assemble such a spineless squad with lack of leaders and proper characters.
Yes thats embarrassing too. Our team is average but we still have multiple world cup winners and a few CL winners. As to the Andersonsons point, someone could make a case he is the best option(I obvs disagree) but the larger point is he didn't have to do anything to earn the captaincy. His only credential is he's English and we have some weird fetish that only British players should be captain.

Kostov

Yes thats embarrassing too. Our team is average but we still have multiple world cup winners and a few CL winners. As to the Andersonsons point, someone could make a case he is the best option(I obvs disagree) but the larger point is he didn't have to do anything to earn the captaincy. His only credential is he's English and we have some weird fetish that only British players should be captain.
It means feck all that we have World Cup winner and CL winners when those players are Paul Pogba and Juan Mata, none of them is a better captain than Maguire and that has nothing to do with him being British or them being French imo. Pogba was given the captaincy and we know how it ended, combine that with his mouthing agent and it was a total clusterfeck. The closest we had to captain was DDG and he was not one either imo. Maguire probably showed leadership credential to be given the captaincy, since then we've added Bruno who seems like a leader and a potential captain/vice-captain which is good.

A new player coming in and getting the captaincy it's not that strange in the last few years, I can think of VVD who is captaining Liverpool in the absence of Henderson.

led_scholes

The last 12 years we have had Evra, Vidic and Valencia as captains, i dont think we have any fetish about British players being our captains.

Honestly, who could be our captain? Pogba? He was about to leave and he was injured. DDG? He is not commanding enough. Herrera had gone. Rashford? Perhaps yes, even though he goes missing too much. Matic maybe? Lindelof? No way. Mctominay? Too young and not a regular starter. Mata? Not a starter too.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The last 12 years we have had Evra, Vidic and Valencia as captains, i dont think we have any fetish about British players being our captains.

Honestly, who could be our captain? Pogba? He was about to leave and he was injured. DDG? He is not commanding enough. Herrera had gone. Rashford? Perhaps yes, even though he goes missing too much. Matic maybe? Lindelof? No way. Mctominay? Too young and not a regular starter. Mata? Not a starter too.
The last 25 years we've had 2 non British captains in Vidic and Valencia. I'm not counting players who get it for a few games cause of injury or suspension. Anyway thats beside the point. We could have made Pogba, Matic, Rashford or De gea captain like you said. The point again is for all the faults you list for each player at least they have played in big games for us, most have won big trophies, they have done something to EARN the captaincy unlike Maguire.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It means feck all that we have World Cup winner and CL winners when those players are Paul Pogba and Juan Mata, none of them is a better captain than Maguire and that has nothing to do with him being British or them being French imo. Pogba was given the captaincy and we know how it ended, combine that with his mouthing agent and it was a total clusterfeck. The closest we had to captain was DDG and he was not one either imo. Maguire probably showed leadership credential to be given the captaincy, since then we've added Bruno who seems like a leader and a potential captain/vice-captain which is good.

A new player coming in and getting the captaincy it's not that strange in the last few years, I can think of VVD who is captaining Liverpool in the absence of Henderson.
Even Vvd who most consider one of the best CBS in the world was not handed the captaincy as soon as he signed for 80 mil in a liverpool team that hadn't won Jack for years. He earned it through his play on the field. Maguire didn't have to earn anything he was handed something he never worked for.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The last 25 years we've had 2 non British captains in Vidic and Valencia. I'm not counting players who get it for a few games cause of injury or suspension. Anyway thats beside the point. We could have made Pogba, Matic, Rashford or De gea captain like you said. The point again is for all the faults you list for each player at least they have played in big games for us, most have won big trophies, they have done something to EARN the captaincy unlike Maguire.
Roy Keane isn’t British and Cantona was within the last 25 years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
3 in 24 years. You got me.
Roy Keane and Cantona, that makes 4 players.

Not sure what your point is. Our captains didn't change every year and they stayed for many years, so obviously any number would be low.

Kostov

Even Vvd who most consider one of the best CBS in the world was not handed the captaincy as soon as he signed for 80 mil in a liverpool team that hadn't won Jack for years. He earned it through his play on the field. Maguire didn't have to earn anything he was handed something he never worked for.
Maguire only became club captain after Ashley Young left the club in January I think. How do you think he should earn his captaincy? And who should have been appointed instead? How did they earn it?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
My point is I think if Harry maguire was not english/irish/British he would not be captain of Manchester united. Its certainly not because of his stellar pre united career or his amazing performances for us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My point is I think if Harry maguire was not english/irish/British he would not be captain of Manchester united. Its certainly not because of his stellar pre united career or his amazing performances for us.
Ole wants an English captain of an English club? why is than an issue with you.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Captain is about more than longevity or performances for the club

led_scholes

Evra was vice captain for 4 years, eventually being the captain many times. No offence but using the last 25 years is absurd. I can name any team and use another number, e.g. how many non british captains has had Liverpool or Chelsea the last 150 years? The point is that we have no fetish for me since we have foreigners as captains the last years. Of course, in the 60s it was more difficult to have foreigners as captains. I also believe i gave valid reasons why other players were not made captains. You can disagree but dont blame it on a fetish. I would personally prefer Pogba, but he wanted to leave and essentially he missed 70% of our campaign through injuries and when Maguire was named captain, in January, he was injured again.

Adam-Utd

I want a player to earn the right to captain the club not having nationality being a criteria. Why is that an issue with you
Ole obviously feels he has? he is the one that made the decision. He works and talks with him every day and obviously feels he is the right man to be the leader of our team, and I agree.

Who else is a better candidate?

Rolaholic

You must play too much FIFA/FM if you don't think 4 months on the job is skipper worthy...

Not being serious at all

RonaldoVII

Spending 63k on drinks... he should have spare 1/10th on it to employ a security man to help him do the fight instead.
I'd heard that was the total bar bill for everyone there, not specifically his/his group. Basically nobody really has a clue what has gone on or the finer details of it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ole obviously feels he has? he is the one that made the decision. He works and talks with him every day and obviously feels he is the right man to be the leader of our team, and I agree.

Think most want Bruno. Harry knows the PL and the refs. It is a big advantage. It really is.

Rolaholic

The only 2 in Ole's preferred XI with premier league winners medals for example

DomesticTadpole

I'd heard that was the total bar bill for everyone there, not specifically his/his group. Basically nobody really has a clue what has gone on or the finer details of it.
Don't expect the press to do any research. This is the lot who will report favourably on a club because they give them good food.

Adam-Utd

Didn't we have Valencia who could barely speak a word of English, just because he had been there the longest.
Valencia can speak English fine, he was just shy about it on camera. He did an interview with sky before where he talks fine - but yes sometimes coaches choose a captain because of experience. Jose usually chose Valencia/Young because of that.

Ole obviously wants something different in a captain otherwise he would have chosen De Gea or Phil Jones. When you put it like that Maguire was the clear choice!

The only 2 in Ole's preferred XI with premier league winners medals for example
Being a captain has a lot more to it than just playing the most games or winning a league title before.

In that case why not pick Phil Jones?

Rolaholic

Isn't one of them DDG who some don't even want in goal and hardly speaks to his own defence never mind lead a team.
As mentioned above, Tony V hardly ever spoke English and was still a longtime skipper :lol:. Carrick wasn't the rah rah type either so I doubt its got much to do about being visibly vocal.

Dave's had 400 club appearences and was a contributor to our last title, I'd 100% have him as captain before most in the squad

DomesticTadpole

Valencia can speak English fine, he was just shy about it on camera. He did an interview with sky before where he talks fine - but yes sometimes coaches choose a captain because of experience. Jose usually chose Valencia/Young because of that.

Ole obviously wants something different in a captain otherwise he would have chosen De Gea or Phil Jones. When you put it like that Maguire was the clear choice!
Could you imagine Phil Jones 'The Absent Captain'.

Status
Not open for further replies.