Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Don't expect the press to do any research. This is the lot who will report favourably on a club because they give them good food.
To be fair if you feed me well, I will say nice things about you too.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If you think being a captain means more than just some guy who's made to watch the coin flip these days you're having a laugh.

Captains are just titles, unless they really command genuine respect from teammate (something you can't buy or make) it doesnt matter who are our captain. If it's not someone like keane i doubt that armband means shit.

Footballers are pros these days. They're either colleague or friends. You dont expect someone who the manager givens an armband to suddenly decides to play godfather.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol: Is this something we are doing wrong as well?:(
Probably, several managers have mentioned that they appreciated the fact that SAF would have a glass of wine with them after games. Being a great host goes a long way when it comes to building good relationships and while you shouldn't do it just for self interest it will definitely play in your favour at some point, humans are easily influenced and they like to compare situations.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Probably, several managers have mentioned that they appreciated the fact that SAF would have a glass of wine with them after games. Being a great host goes a long way when it comes to building good relationships and while you shouldn't do it just for self interest it will definitely play in your favour at some point, humans are easily influenced and they like to compare situations.
I agree.

Matriac

Spending 63k on drinks... he should have spare 1/10th on it to employ a security man to help him do the fight instead.
I'd heard that was the total bar bill for everyone there, not specifically his/his group. Basically nobody really has a clue what has gone on or the finer details of it.
Don't expect the press to do any research. This is the lot who will report favourably on a club because they give them good food.

Actually The Sun did the research, but buried the lede to garner clicks. You are correct that it was the full group of celebs that racked up the bill, including a Love Island guy, Snooker Champion, Chelsea player etc.

Maguire paid a fraction of it cause he mostly drank beers, whereas half the bill came from two very expensive champagne bottles.

More details in my post earlier in the thread here, including a link to a non-Sun hosted version of the article.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/har...nt-with-police-in-greece.457003/post-25955487

Grande

Yes thats embarrassing too. Our team is average but we still have multiple world cup winners and a few CL winners. As to the Andersonsons point, someone could make a case he is the best option(I obvs disagree) but the larger point is he didn't have to do anything to earn the captaincy. His only credential is he's English and we have some weird fetish that only British players should be captain.
Very often, captains are chosen because of particular leadership skills, attitude and influence on the team spirit. You see, many of us felt that prior to Harry Maguire’s arrival, there seemed to be a dearth of players at the club with those qualities. You may believe Ashley Young was made captain because of his Nationality, but for most who followed the club, it was clear that even with a lack of quality, he had a kind of attitude that was found lacking in the regular starters for various reasons.

I don’t know who you felt was a prime candidate for that role last summer. Pogba had been tried, but his refusal to commit to the club made him a bad candidate. There’s also the issue that he seems to have a hard time rising above himself when the going gets tough. De Gea was tried, but I don’t think anyone ever felt he was a good candidate, as leadership and command is one of his few relative weaknesses. Matic was a shout, but at the time he seemed fifth choice in midfield, and on merit too. Lindelöf you might suggest, but to me seems like he needs security rather than excuding so far. Many are young, of course. Rashford was also an option, in spite of being very young, because of his attitude, ambition, social awareness and confidence to always try. He was English, so it might surprise you that he wasn’t chosen. To me it makes sense, though. At his age, he should be allowed to focus on developing his own play for a few more years I think. Luke Shaw? Fred? Martial? I don’t think so. McTominay, Wan Bissaka or Bailly? No. Dan James or Mason Greenwood? Come on!

I think it was quite clear why so many at the time were screaming about lack of natural leadership skills, and as Maguire for some reason or other was renowned for showing suchlike at every team he had been in. You would be surprised, some even suggested that we spend 10m£ extra on him just for those skills, and others advocated making him captain upon entering Carrington. That didn’t happen, Solskjær waited until the 17th of January, at which point I think everyone inside the club seemed to think he was the only natural candidate. Up until then, he had shared vice captaincy with De Gea, Matic, Rashford, Tuanzebe (!) and Jesse Lingard (!!). I guess you could say he earned it, and that it wasn’t difficult to earn neither. And if you think De Gea, Matic or Pogba were natural candidates at the time, overlooked because of their nationalities, I can’t help you with that.

Matriac

As for Maguire being made Captain so early. Ever think that's a big part of the reason why we paid so much for him? He was seen as the future Captain when he was bought. But we also thought that Young would be with us until the summer at least, so he'd have a full season in the team before the official appointment. It was obvious to me when we bought him that Harry was groomed to be our next captain.

For the years before we only had captains due to seniority that rarely started. We didn't have any real candidates in the team.

Many others in here have evaluated the other candidates and (like me) found them lacking. The only other option I could have liked would be Rashford, but he is too young in my opinion, plus you rarely want an attacking player to be captain if you have other options. You want the attacker to focus on getting into positions of play, not keeping an eye on the over all field to make adjustments if we look uneven or lacking focus in certain areas.

One of the most important roles for a captain on the field these days is he's the one person allowed to talk to the ref in big situations. You'd want someone that's calm, cool and collected. Not someone running over with emotions fuming cause their clear goal chance was just cut off.
We finally have a Captain that starts every game. He has the character, and will get the trophies.

Crashoutcassius

My point is I think if Harry maguire was not english/irish/British he would not be captain of Manchester united. Its certainly not because of his stellar pre united career or his amazing performances for us.
who would you appoint based on all they have won? who is our most successful player? pogba for italian title and world cup?

DomesticTadpole

So do police station in these islands not have CCTV. They do here don't they? They usually show people when they are being charged etc.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So what does caf believe. Did the get away car go to the wrong place :lol: Did police kick Harry’s shins, did Harry say do you know who I am, did one of his friends shout feck the police and punch one of them. Apart from his sister allegedly being stabbed with a needle and feinting the rest is all comedy

DomesticTadpole

Come on. Some of you lot must have been arrested on a Greek Island. Do they not have CCTV in their police stations showing all that is supposed to have happened there?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Very often, captains are chosen because of particular leadership skills, attitude and influence on the team spirit. You see, many of us felt that prior to Harry Maguire’s arrival, there seemed to be a dearth of players at the club with those qualities. You may believe Ashley Young was made captain because of his Nationality, but for most who followed the club, it was clear that even with a lack of quality, he had a kind of attitude that was found lacking in the regular starters for various reasons.

I don’t know who you felt was a prime candidate for that role last summer. Pogba had been tried, but his refusal to commit to the club made him a bad candidate. There’s also the issue that he seems to have a hard time rising above himself when the going gets tough. De Gea was tried, but I don’t think anyone ever felt he was a good candidate, as leadership and command is one of his few relative weaknesses. Matic was a shout, but at the time he seemed fifth choice in midfield, and on merit too. Lindelöf you might suggest, but to me seems like he needs security rather than excuding so far. Many are young, of course. Rashford was also an option, in spite of being very young, because of his attitude, ambition, social awareness and confidence to always try. He was English, so it might surprise you that he wasn’t chosen. To me it makes sense, though. At his age, he should be allowed to focus on developing his own play for a few more years I think. Luke Shaw? Fred? Martial? I don’t think so. McTominay, Wan Bissaka or Bailly? No. Dan James or Mason Greenwood? Come on!

I think it was quite clear why so many at the time were screaming about lack of natural leadership skills, and as Maguire for some reason or other was renowned for showing suchlike at every team he had been in. You would be surprised, some even suggested that we spend 10m£ extra on him just for those skills, and others advocated making him captain upon entering Carrington. That didn’t happen, Solskjær waited until the 17th of January, at which point I think everyone inside the club seemed to think he was the only natural candidate. Up until then, he had shared vice captaincy with De Gea, Matic, Rashford, Tuanzebe (!) and Jesse Lingard (!!). I guess you could say he earned it, and that it wasn’t difficult to earn neither. And if you think De Gea, Matic or Pogba were natural candidates at the time, overlooked because of their nationalities, I can’t help you with that.
Check this out for a sensible, balanced post. A drop of water in a desert (make that @Desert Eagle ) of nonsense.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So if the Police never saw them fighting Albanians why did they try to arrest them in the first place?

lots of missing information and holes here, all seems very strange.

Sylar

If Liam Neeson isnt in the retelling of this story, ill be disappointed.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

This is all very strange. If your sister had been attacked by some thugs of course you would be angry and angry if you.were being put in handcuffs.

Something isn't right with this at all.

DomesticTadpole

So if the Police never saw them fighting Albanians why did they try to arrest them in the first place?

lots of missing information and holes here, all seems very strange.
It's really weird. Why have these Albanians not been arrested, but there again if you were the police on a small Greek Island would you want to be messing with Albanian gangsters.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Come on. Some of you lot must have been arrested on a Greek Island. Do they not have CCTV in their police stations showing all that is supposed to have happened there?
Did they say this happened inside the station?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's really weird. Why have these Albanians not been arrested, but there again if you were the police on a small Greek Island would you want to be messing with Albanian gangsters.
Yes this does seem strange, who did they say they were breaking up a fight between

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Nothing will stick here, this is all based on hearsay and unsubstantiated claims.

Wilt

Where’s cctv to backup police allegations ?

There must be cctv inside the police station

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What I don't is why are the police saying they arrested Maguire in the town? and Maguire is saying they got arrested at the police station after being driven there by their own hired van?

And when they got arrested what happened to his sister? so many things need cleaning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.