Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I'm only going to report stuff that was reported by various sources across the board:
  • Harry, his sister, and his mates were out enjoying themselves in Mykonos.
  • At a bar, Harry's sister was drugged by a couple of Albanian dudes.
  • Harry and his mates called for some help to take his sister to a hospital. A van came over to pick them up, and Harry, his sister, and his group all boarded it.
  • Instead of taking them to the hospital, the van took them to a police station.
  • They were met by police officers in plain clothes. Harry + his group and the officers in plain clothes had an altercation.
  • Afterwards, Harry and a couple of his mates were arrested on the charges that we now know about.
  • There is video footage of the altercation that happened outside of the police station, but this was never brought up in court.
Somewhat speculative info:
  • Maguire and his group were assaulted by the plain-clothed officers first.
  • The officers told Maguire that his career would be over, that he'd never play football again.
  • Maguire and his group acted in self-defence.
So his legal team didn't get access to it?

::sonny::

Greece is a member of the EU so could just issue an EU Arrest Warrant. On entry to any EU country he'd be subsequently arrested and sent to Greece, where he'd then also be facing more charges.
EU Arrest Warrant have to be accepted by the other country, is not automatic

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If I remember correctly you are studying law. Is it normal to be given two hours to prepare a legal defence? Does that indicate a trustworthy judicial system? I’m happy to be proven wrong, I wonder what you think.
I know nothing about their judicial system but it is possible, in France you can be judged the same day "comparution immediate" for simple criminal cases but the defendant has the right to refure in order to prepare his defense.

Amarsdd

Are you trying to say this is just one massive conspiracy by the Greek Government to lockup Maguire?
It doesn't have to be one. I'm just questioning why you 100% believe the Greek police's side of the story, while you give Maguire's side no chance at all.

NotThatSoph

Mate. Do you honestly think you could prove beyond reasonable doubt, in a 1 day trial, that someone committed aggravated assault and bribery? Without any evidence other than police testimony?

I don't even think he was found guilty of those charges either. The twitter post said he was given a suspended sentence due to being found guilty of misdemeanours. So they may have reduced the charges at sentencing.

I think we're all getting a little heated and emotional about this. Its fascinating to see some peoples sense of right and wrong.

It also reveals how different of backgrounds/cultures we come from.
Obviously a one day trial is enough, that's the norm. Trials aren't like on TV. The only possibly unusual thing here is how fast the trial started after the incident, but that might be normal in Greece.

Not sure where you're getting that police testimony was the only testimony, did they not include the testimony of the at least three reported independent witnesses?

Withnail

Evidently it's not a joke. It's a very serious issue. A court found him guilty. you can make up as much 'corrupt' deflection as you like, doesn't change the fact that Maguire has fcuked up big time.

We as a club are screwed because we paid £80m so we can hardly sack him, and quickly need to rehabilitate his confidence to make him perform.
But on a personal level, I'm not going to back a drunk who fight cops and now been handed a prison sentence just because he plays for my club. No thanks.
More balanced posting!

Why in the feck would we sell him?

Is he going to forget how to play because of this?

Nice to see the rush to judgement. If the charges are quashed at he retrial what will you say.

DevilRed

Obviously a one day trial is enough, that's the norm. Trials aren't like on TV. The only possibly unusual thing here is how fast the trial started after the incident, but that might be normal in Greece.

Not sure where you're getting that police testimony was the only testimony, did they not include the testimony of the at least three reported independent witnesses?
:lol::lol::lol:

Dearie Me.

NYAS

I know nothing about their judicial system but it is possible, in France you can be judged the same day "comparution immediate" for simple criminal cases but the defendant has the right to refure in order to prepare his defense.
Well exactly, I would expect that in any respectable judicial system, there are reports his legal team tried to do that but it got rejected. In that case I’m sure you’d agree that’s fishy.

hobbers

Real talk the whole thing sounds like the Albanian mobsters and the plain clothes police were in cahoots to start trouble and trap wealthy tourists. Maybe didn't quite bargain one of them would be a famous footballer, or maybe he was targeted all along, who knows. Either way they'll probably still get their pay day.

That may be a bridge too far, and it's just that the police were confronted by angry British tourists and rather than listening and offering help they just did what they're famous for and thought beating and detaining them would be simpler.

Knowing who the hell was driving this van that took them to the police station rather than the hospital would clear a lot of this up.

I don't know how people are taking such firm stances on such limited information.

When we see the court transcripts, when the appeal takes place...that seems like the time to make a judgement. Not now.

Right now, we have a small amount of information from both sides, and a lot of it doesn't pass the smell test:

The trial seems to have been extremely rushed, and if it's true that the defence were given just a couple of hours to prepare then you can see why it's being appealed. Maybe this will be explained in the transcripts, maybe rectified on appeal.

On the other side, the 'Albanian' story doesn't really feel right either. If some monster is trying to date rape, or abduct a girl - it's generally done covertly, a substance dropped into a drink...not two Albanian gangsters casually walking up in the middle of a busy party street with a syringe. This should be easily provable... because nobody on earth is going to be injected with any type of substance and not immediately be desperate to find out what it is - so there should be medical records from the same night.

These are things that will likely be explained in the transcripts, or at appeal.

Until then, as a club, we should support Maguire - or any player - through the legal process and not make any rash judgements until we have all the information at hand to make an informed, smart decision.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
So if someone murders someone out of the blue they should be released without charge as there was no evidence of them ever murdering anyone before ?

This isn't a conspiracy against England and every other country is not corrupt and out to get you .

The guy was on holiday went out to a party had lot to drink got into a brawl and that is pretty much that .

Whatever way you want to paint it it doesn't paint a good picture of him . Rashford and Williams were in Greece too they didn't get get arrested for fighting or anything else .

Maguire needs to look at why he got himself into this situation and ensure it doesn't happen again . Maybe he needs to have people around him to keep things like this happening .

I remember Giggs always had people looking out for him . When you are in the public eye you need to be aware of yourself at all times especially if you are Captain of Manchester United
Head's properly gone hasn't it? Maybe an early night would help.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Evidently it's not a joke. It's a very serious issue. A court found him guilty. you can make up as much 'corrupt' deflection as you like, doesn't change the fact that Maguire has fcuked up big time.

We as a club are screwed because we paid £80m so we can hardly sack him, and quickly need to rehabilitate his confidence to make him perform.
But on a personal level, I'm not going to back a drunk who fight cops and now been handed a prison sentence just because he plays for my club. No thanks.
Big clubs dont sell key players for stuff like drink driving let alone what the court called a misdemeanor.

Eg
Firmino.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-38827722

Flexdegea

Greece has a higher GDP than Luxembourg, Croatia, Estonia and Hungary to name a few. It is lots of things, but "third world" (what a derogatory term) it is not.

I get you are annoyed that Maguire has been found guilt in a Court of Law. But maybe you should be annoyed with him.

Did you not cringe a bit writing that last sentence out. I'd be amazed if you kept a straight face :lol:

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
It seems crazy how this has blown up.

Ultimately, no one really knows what has happened and it’s all hearsay.

Does it reflect badly on Manchester United. Not at the moment; however they may want to strip him of the official captaincy until further notice. A real captain will lead on / off the pitch, arm band or not.
I suppose the only thing you could angle at Harry Mags, is why he allowed himself to be in this situation. I’m sure that will be dealt with internally and he’ll be reminded of his conduct as a

It’ll blow over .... these things always do.

Johnny Evans and co stole a taxi

Dickov, Sinclair and Gillespie were banged up in Malaga accused of rape.

Leicester had the best season ever after “that incident” in Thailand .....

NotThatSoph

:lol::lol::lol:

Dearie Me.
What do you think is going on in a simple trial like this? Forensic evidence, continued cross examinations, Ally McBeal having an ex parte with the judge and Alicia Florrick delivering a powerful closing argument after her third request for a continuance got rejected?

The case is presented, a verdict is made. It's not a drawn out process.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm only going to report stuff that was reported by various sources across the board:
  • Harry, his sister, and his mates were out enjoying themselves in Mykonos.
  • At a bar, Harry's sister was drugged by a couple of Albanian dudes.
  • Harry and his mates called for some help to take his sister to a hospital. A van came over to pick them up, and Harry, his sister, and his group all boarded it.
  • Instead of taking them to the hospital, the van took them to a police station.
  • They were met by police officers in plain clothes. Harry + his group and the officers in plain clothes had an altercation.
  • Afterwards, Harry and a couple of his mates were arrested on the charges that we now know about.
  • There is video footage of the altercation that happened outside of the police station, but this was never brought up in court.
Somewhat speculative info:
  • Maguire and his group were assaulted by the plain-clothed officers first.
  • The officers told Maguire that his career would be over, that he'd never play football again.
  • Maguire and his group acted in self-defence.

You forgot he was just back from helping out the homeless and had spent the previous day volunteering in an old people's home .

If only those Albanians hadn't tried to kidnap his daughter and take her to be auctioned off this would never have happened

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Just realised I’m still a newbie and I’ve been posting here on / off for 12 months!

Prodigal7

The charges were reported once he was arrested . We have all known what the charges were they went to court the next day to get charged
No those were the charges the police planned but they only found out the prosecutors charges 2 hours before. There’s also reportedly evidence of these plain clothed police officers abusing Harry and his mates to begin with. Let’s wait and see how this plays out, it’s clear that regardless of what happened there’s an agenda to tear him down in Greece.

ManUArfa

With all his money he should have gone to Saint Marie in the Caribbean.

On second thoughts he'd have probably found himself being investigated for murder by Ralf Little or Ardal O'Hanlon

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
More balanced posting!

Why in the feck would we sell him?

Is he going to forget how to play because of this?

Nice to see the rush to judgement. If the charges are quashed at he retrial what will you say.
He's properly lost it in this thread. You'd think this wasn't a bunch of corrupt officials looking to get paid the way he's posting.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I suppose the issue if he doesn’t comply, was that he’d get arrested the next time he goes to Greece and face greater charges. Can you imagine if he had to play a UCL final and he couldn’t get into Greece!

Give it two weeks and the media will have found something better to spin hyperbole on.

clarkydaz

On the other side, the 'Albanian' story doesn't really feel right either. If some monster is trying to date rape, or abduct a girl - it's generally done covertly, a substance dropped into a drink...not two Albanian gangsters casually walking up in the middle of a busy party street with a syringe. This should be easily provable... because nobody on earth is going to be injected with any type of substance and not immediately be desperate to find out what it is - so there should be medical records from the same night.
the defences version is they were taken to a police station and not a hospital. IF she never went there will be no medical record

Dante

Average bang
Greece
Today, Greece experiences some of the highest levels of police corruption in Europe, with 99% of its citizens believing that corruption in the country is widespread.[91]

Transparency International surveys show that Greece ranks high among European Union nations in terms of perceptions of corruption. From 2013 to 2016, during the height of the Greece's debt crisis, the annual Transparency International reports showed that Greeks ranked second-most corrupt among EU countries, behind only Bulgaria.[92][93] (the country's relative position among European countries was more favorable before and after this period).

Bribing police officers is common in Greece. Citizens may offer the police monetary sums as a way of avoiding getting a ticket or in order to obtain a drivers license. 96% of Greek citizens believe that this is an acceptable practice and 93% believe that it is the easiest way of obtaining public services.[94][95] The Hellenic Police Internal Affairs Unit has investigated cases of corruption among police, including police acceptance of bribes from traffickers.[96] Human trafficking has become a more prominent issue in the realm of police bribery in recent times. Particularly as the state is an optimum destination for those seeking asylum, due to its many small islands and borders being difficult to patrol. It is not unusual for Greek police to provide fake documentation and plane tickets to illegal immigrants. A trafficker's circuit was discovered in the Santorini police department as recently as June 2015.[97] It was reported that airline employees contacted the local police, concerned about passengers who may be travelling to European countries using forged documents. However, the police performed only rudimentary checks, and permitted the migrants to board the flights.[97] According to the US Department of State 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report, police also recently dismantled a sex trafficking ring involving two police officers, who were then suspended from duty.[96]

Greece is a member of the European Partners Against Corruption (EPAC). It is housed in Greece within the Hellenic Police Internal Affairs division, established in 1999 and has 120 staff.[98] The National Strategic Reference Framework has also put forth €340,000 to fund "transparency and anti-corruption for good governance in public administration-police" seminars.[99] The program will be made available to graduates of the Police Officers Academy of Greece. However, only 14% of Greeks believe that the government's efforts to combat corruption are effective.[91] Furthermore, unlike other member states, the amount of corruption in Greece has increased rather than decreased, with its global ranking falling from 80th in 2011 to 94th in 2012.[100] This is likely because of the states financial difficulties. Data collected by the Greek anti-corruption task-force in 2012 showed that corruption in the state had spiked, with 1,060 cases investigated – a 33% increase on 2011.[101] Moreover, 710 (or 66.9%) of these were concerned with police officers.[101]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_corruption#Greece

Even within Greece, there's a widespread perception of corruption within the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.