Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

You said there's no reason to believe he's a nice guy based on his ruthlessness, I responded with something you didn't want to hear so it's "bashing".
You came in with an irrelevant point, which is often used as a stick to beat him with.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to say.

Players that weren't sold were given extended contracts... And?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So if someone murders someone out of the blue they should be released without charge as there was no evidence of them ever murdering anyone before ?
:lol: Shit, this is the most ridiculous bit of whataboutery I've seen on the caf. Well done. No one has said he should be released without charge. The defendant's character is a valid argument at trial, though, and despite the sham trial, seems to have been considered by the court.

This isn't a conspiracy against England and every other country is not corrupt and out to get you .
I'm not English, so not sure what this is about? :confused: What we do know is that Greece is the second most corrupt country in the EU. This is verifyably true and counts for something when considering the whole sketchy affair. From the one sided arrests, unfair discovery, speedy show trial and inflated sentence that's conveniently suspended.

The guy was on holiday went out to a party had lot to drink got into a brawl and that is pretty much that .
Gosh, this makes it all seem so simple. Why is everyone in such an uproar about it then? A player shouldn't be sacked, sold or stripped of the captaincy for a wee bust up on the lash.

Whatever way you want to paint it it doesn't paint a good picture of him . Rashford and Williams were in Greece too they didn't get get arrested for fighting or anything else .
Let's see, someone apparently attacked his sister and he stood up for her. Some other people intervened and weren't recognizable as cops, maybe got shoved to the ground. Seems like a stand up guy to me. It's not like he was pummeling uniformed officers.

Since we don't know how they spent their evening, Rashford and Williams actions are irrelevant to the discussion.

Maguire needs to look at why he got himself into this situation and ensure it doesn't happen again . Maybe he needs to have people around him to keep things like this happening .

I remember Giggs always had people looking out for him . When you are in the public eye you need to be aware of yourself at all times especially if you are Captain of Manchester United
Not why, how. He may need people around him to tote the biscuit, so to speak. What we probably know is that Harry hasn't ever felt a need to have that sort of safety net before. Until now, I doubt that Maguire has seen a need for that. By all accounts he's a down to earth, normal guy who, perhaps naively, didn't think that there'd be people out there potentially wanting to exploit who he is.

Superunknown

I'm only going to report stuff that was reported by various sources across the board:
  • Harry, his sister, and his mates were out enjoying themselves in Mykonos.
  • At a bar, Harry's sister was drugged by a couple of Albanian dudes.
  • Harry and his mates called for some help to take his sister to a hospital. A van came over to pick them up, and Harry, his sister, and his group all boarded it.
  • Instead of taking them to the hospital, the van took them to a police station.
  • They were met by police officers in plain clothes. Harry + his group and the officers in plain clothes had an altercation.
  • Afterwards, Harry and a couple of his mates were arrested on the charges that we now know about.
  • There is video footage of the altercation that happened outside of the police station, but this was never brought up in court.
Somewhat speculative info:
  • Maguire and his group were assaulted by the plain-clothed officers first.
  • The officers told Maguire that his career would be over, that he'd never play football again.
  • Maguire and his group acted in self-defence.
Cheers for that summary. I appreciate it.

Points 4 and 5 are the crucial ones. Sounds like a stitch up, to be honest. Van taking them to a police station instead of the hospital and then coming across plain clothes officers, resulting in a scuffle. It doesn't really add up.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So, what will happen next? Will he get fine? Or go to jail? Or appeal??

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Cheers for that summary. I appreciate it.

Points 4 and 5 are the crucial ones. Sounds like a stitch up, to be honest. Van taking them to a police station instead of the hospital and then coming across plain clothes officers, resulting in a scuffle. It doesn't really add up.
What makes it worse is that the defence team didn't get the charges until 2 hours before the trial. They had little time to prepare for this case.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
:lol: Shit, this is the most ridiculous bit of whataboutery I've seen on the caf. Well done. No one has said he should be released without charge. The defendant's character is a valid argument at trial, though, and despite the sham trial, seems to have been considered by the court.

I'm not English, so not sure what this is about? :confused: What we do know is that Greece is the second most corrupt country in the EU. This is verifyably true and counts for something when considering the whole sketchy affair. From the one sided arrests, unfair discovery, speedy show trial and inflated sentence that's conveniently suspended.

Gosh, this makes it all seem so simple. Why is everyone in such an uproar about it then? A player shouldn't be sacked, sold or stripped of the captaincy for a wee bust up on the lash.

Let's see, someone apparently attacked his sister and he stood up for her. Some other people intervened and weren't recognizable as cops, maybe got shoved to the ground. Seems like a stand up guy to me. It's not like he was pummeling uniformed officers.

Since we don't know how they spent their evening, Rashford and Williams actions are irrelevant to the discussion.

Not why, how. He may need people around him to tote the biscuit, so to speak. What we probably know is that Harry hasn't ever felt a need to have that sort of safety net before. Until now, I doubt that Maguire has seen a need for that. By all accounts he's a down to earth, normal guy who, perhaps naively, didn't think that there'd be people out there potentially wanting to exploit who he is.
He might have even been there before and had no trouble. The fact they let him leave the country tells me they had absolutely no intention of jailing him, then that fool saying if he had apologised it would have all gone away also says a lot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well exactly, I would expect that in any respectable judicial system, there are reports his legal team tried to do that but it got rejected. In that case I’m sure you’d agree that’s fishy.
I'm not sure if I follow, he was arrested Thursday, his lawyers have been on the case since at least Friday, they had more than two hours to build their case and find witnesses. Now they may use the fact that the prosecution confirmed the charges and provided their own evidences yesterday but there is nothing special about it and there is nothing fishy about it either, it's fairly normal for that type of basic cases pretty much everywhere. If they want to appeal, they can and that's what they have done but without more elements I don't see where is the fishy part.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He might have even been there before and had no trouble. The fact they let him leave the country tells me they had absolutely no intention of jailing him, then that fool saying if he had apologised it would have all gone away also says a lot.
Please stop. This is not the thread for sensibility. Let's hang the cnut.

neilptnms

the guy has been an idiot it would seem but sheesh, he's a pro footballer - he's let himself and the club down, but if the club supports him after this then I'm ok with their decision. No more hols or club tours to the US either?

Cloud7

It’s fascinating how strongly people feel about this issue in both directions. On the one hand the calls for him to be sacked, captaincy stripped etc are unnecessary suggestions. On the other hand, the folks who are so rabidly declaring that it’s a farce and there’s no way he would have done this, the police are probably making it up, the trial is a sham etc are also going a bit too far. Can we not just accept that it’s somewhere in the middle?

He’s a young, rich guy. Young rich guys do stupid things quite a lot. In fact they’re probably prone to doing things like this more most other groups. It’s life, it happens. No need to sell him or remove his captaincy or whatever, but at the same time we can accept that he’s probably in the wrong here without needing to try to prove that he’s an angel and this is them trying to nail him to a post.

DomesticTadpole

I'm not sure if I follow, he was arrested Thursday, his lawyers have been on the case since at least Friday, they had more than two hours to build their case and find witnesses. Now they may use the fact that the prosecution confirmed the charges and provided their own evidences yesterday but there is nothing special about it and there is nothing fishy about it either, it's fairly normal for that type of basic cases pretty much everywhere. If they want to appeal, they can and that's what they have done but without more elements I don't see where is the fishy part.
If they have requested certain evidence to be released to help their case and it hasn't, it could be seen as dodgy.

edcunited1878

He and his brother and friend are all charged with misdemeanors. Those don't result in being in prison long term.

Can see the Greek police try to use Maguire as an example because of the public figure he is, which is not uncommon for countries or cities to do so they can have the light shine on them a little bit, or prosecutors. What we haven't heard about are the instigators of this circumstance, not that anybody cares.

And yes, because if they're plain clothes officers, and when you're a visitor and when things get a little bit hairy in terms of an altercation with the group you're with, pushing and shoving and getting physical with others is going to happen.

This has already gotten blown out of proportion. I honestly do not believe this should be used against Harry and him getting the armband taken away. In fact, it could be (but probably won't) used as an us against everybody else (siege mentality) because he's going to get stick from everyone and United will do their best to protect him and just move on. Nobody fecking got hurt or die. There was a clear altercation and context must be given.

Shark

@NotShark
You came in with an irrelevant point, which is often used as a stick to beat him with.

I'm not sure what you wanted me to say.

Players that weren't sold were given extended contracts... And?
My point was irrelevant because you simply didn't want to hear it it seems. Your claim that Ole is a ruthless coach is something I disagree with. If that's beating him with stick in your mind, you should probably take a break from being on discussion forums.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm only going to report stuff that was reported by various sources across the board:
  • Harry, his sister, and his mates were out enjoying themselves in Mykonos.
  • At a bar, Harry's sister was drugged by a couple of Albanian dudes.
  • Harry and his mates called for some help to take his sister to a hospital. A van came over to pick them up, and Harry, his sister, and his group all boarded it.
  • Instead of taking them to the hospital, the van took them to a police station.
  • They were met by police officers in plain clothes. Harry + his group and the officers in plain clothes had an altercation.
  • Afterwards, Harry and a couple of his mates were arrested on the charges that we now know about.
  • There is video footage of the altercation that happened outside of the police station, but this was never brought up in court.
Somewhat speculative info:
  • Maguire and his group were assaulted by the plain-clothed officers first.
  • The officers told Maguire that his career would be over, that he'd never play football again.
  • Maguire and his group acted in self-defence.
Sounds like a total stitch up. Time for the fans to get behind him as I'm sure his teammates will knowing the true story.

DomesticTadpole

It’s fascinating how strongly people feel about this issue in both directions. On the one hand the calls for him to be sacked, captaincy stripped etc are unnecessary suggestions. On the other hand, the folks who are so rabidly declaring that it’s a farce and there’s no way he would have done this, the police are probably making it up, the trial is a sham etc are also going a bit too far. Can we not just accept that it’s somewhere in the middle?

He’s a young, rich guy. Young rich guys do stupid things quite a lot. In fact they’re probably prone to doing things like this more most other groups. It’s life, it happens. No need to sell him or remove his captaincy or whatever, but at the same time we can accept that he’s probably in the wrong here without needing to try to prove that he’s an angel and this is them trying to nail him to a post.
Don't think it is even that we don't think Harry is innocent of everything, more the police have embroidered it to make it look worse than it was, while overlooking what apparently happened to his sister.

Giggzy P

Haven't had a post in a while, I have become more of a thread voyeur (Sancho thread being my current aphrodisiac)

Interesting reading some of the comments here. This is like the Cantona issue, if reports are to be believed about Harry's sister. His reaction is understandable if that was the cause of the whole incident.

In hindsight or if he would have been sober, the reaction would probably have been different, especially if he did in fact resist arrest and assault the police. Regardless if the Greek police is corrupt or not, I don't think that Harry had no fault in the matter. He will learn from this and move on. The club should just fine him, and that's it, stripping of the captaincy would be excessive. United should support him, but that doesn't mean overlooking that that fact he should done better.

Zed 101

Maguire has my 100% support, best captain in a good while and feck all y'all who think differently :nono::drool:

starman

It's amazing how we had a full on 4 months of hearing how police are lairs, and any altercation with them is their word against the publics and the only way they are believed is to release CCTV/Body cam footage

Yet we have people (some even posting in the current events forum along the basis described above) just believing the police, without seeing any CCTV or no body cam footage. Talk about having a agenda..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You really don't like Maguire do you? Seems you're brushing over what actually is being reported happened, bizarrely bringing in the poor media treatment of Sterling and also taking the word of the Greek police as gospel.

This happened on Thursday with a trial and conviction by Tuesday? And the court was uncharacteristically kept open due to ' extenuating circumstances' ... come on, grow up.
Check who wrote the maguire vs hipster defender thread. I love him as a player. But I dont like these personal traits.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's amazing how we had a full on 4 months of hearing how police are lairs, and any altercation with them is their word against the publics and the only way they are believed is to release CCTV/Body cam footage

Yet we have people (some even posting in the current events forum along the basis described above) just believing the police, without seeing any CCTV or no body cam footage. Talk about having a agenda..
We need a "Cops in Greece doing a bad job" thread.

NotThatSoph

A Greek paper reported at least three independent witnesses describing Maguire and co as the aggressors. It's perfectly possible that Maguire is innocent and that this is nothing, but the constant repeating of "just believing the police" is a bit rich while simultaneously throwing around agenda accusations, no?

DomesticTadpole

A Greek paper reported at least three independent witnesses describing Maguire and co as the aggressors. It's perfectly possible that Maguire is innocent and that this is nothing, but the constant repeating of "just believing the police" is a bit rich while simultaneously throwing around agenda accusations, no?
There are quotes earlier in the thread from witnesses saying the opposite.

Dve

He and his brother and friend are all charged with misdemeanors. Those don't result in being in prison long term.

Can see the Greek police try to use Maguire as an example because of the public figure he is, which is not uncommon for countries or cities to do so they can have the light shine on them a little bit, or prosecutors. What we haven't heard about are the instigators of this circumstance, not that anybody cares.

And yes, because if they're plain clothes officers, and when you're a visitor and when things get a little bit hairy in terms of an altercation with the group you're with, pushing and shoving and getting physical with others is going to happen.

This has already gotten blown out of proportion. I honestly do not believe this should be used against Harry and him getting the armband taken away. In fact, it could be (but probably won't) used as an us against everybody else (siege mentality) because he's going to get stick from everyone and United will do their best to protect him and just move on. Nobody fecking got hurt or die. There was a clear altercation and context must be given.
Suspended sentence = you don´t go to jail at all.

Shimo

How the heck can a trial that leads to 21 month prison term be held only hours after giving the actual charges to the legal team just hours before and said trial only take a few hours? Sounds like it was already pre-determined that was going to be the verdict, not giving a proper change to counter the charges.

It's a complete sham of a trial and at least for now, till all evidence and testimony is able to be given, Maguire should be considered innocent until proven guilty in a proper trial.

starman

You don't seem understand my post.

Going off what's happened over the last 4 months, it should work both ways, unless you have a agenda.

DomesticTadpole

How the heck can a trial that leads to 21 month prison term be held only hours after giving the actual charges to the legal team just hours before and said trial only take a few hours? Sounds like it was already pre-determined that was going to be the verdict, not giving a proper change to counter the charges.

It's a complete sham of a trial and at least for now, till all evidence and testimony is able to be given, Maguire should be considered innocent until proven guilty in a proper trial.
Yeah. If it was something that was just going to be a couple of nights in the slammer for being drunk or parking in the wrong place, but the sentence and the time given to build a defence do not add up.

SATA

Was it ever established that where did the van come from when it was supposed to take them to the hospital instead of a police station? Reeks of a total set up. Were the people in the van one of the accomplices with the gangsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.