Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Agreed. They should go back doing what they used to. Inventing cool stuff and gods.
Back when they were good at something. ;)

I think I love Greece. The food, the weather (sometimes), the scenery.
Poor Maguire though, he’ll probably never want to go back there.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Back when they were good at something. ;)

I think I love Greece. The food, the weather (sometimes), the scenery.
Poor Maguire though, he’ll probably never want to go back there.
Never been to Greece, but watching so many documentaries about them. It does sound an amazing place.

This whole thing reeks someone or some people want to get worldwide publication. "police refusing bribery" because of a brawl in a bar? feck me sideways. Yeh.. right.

Drainy

I am pretty certain I mentioned that in the developed countries of Asia, and there a few, what you describe is not the case and has not been for a while now. Nothing to do with TikTok but more to do with social justice and fixing wrong and unfair situations. Especially one where you have to apologize just because you're younger or weak, even if you did nothing wrong. And the societies are embracing it. It doesn't mean the culture disappears, only that the culture continues to develop in a positive way.
Thank feck someone has said it.

Cultures change over time, hopefully for the better and better is fairer, which is systems that work to equalise power dynamics and take an evidence based approach.

Having a 'this is how it is' attitude is bullshit..

Also calling another poster narcissistic for stating their lived experience as an Asian person as a European person stereotyping Asia!!!! That's the twitter generation :lol:

Drainy

Mistake or otherwise is important. If a plain clothes officer failed to identify him/herself as police officer, and shot a suspect dead, they should face a murder charge.

Don't think you care much about context here.
And they do. Even in the US it's law that if a police officer does not identify themselves as a public official before exercising authority they do not get the protections they would otherwise be afforded if the other party becomes physical.(but you know, they often just say they did)

Not sure about Greece though, and as is clear there is a disconnect between right and legal.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Do you reckon Maguire slept with Samsky’s mum, seems to be very keen for Maguire to go down for what was clearly a miscarriage of justice.

Withnail

So you admit Asia is huge yet presume to talk on its entire behalf? As for what I know about Asia, i’ll take my chances.

Again total lack of empathy and utter narcissism: You may be a modernist, good for you. Doesn’t mean 100s of years of culture has been removed because the Tiktok generation arrived.
How tiresome.

Its acceptable for you to talk on behalf of Asia though, seeing as you brought it up in the first place.

Once again when someone disagrees the condescending tone and snarky insults appear.

You really add value to every discussion I've seen you involved in. I'll never understand how do you get away with this constant trolling.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Do you reckon Maguire slept with Samsky’s mum, seems to be very keen for Maguire to go down for what was clearly a miscarriage of justice.
"Clearly a miscarriage of justice" because the media says so? You're not privy to anything other than tabloid junk who claims they know shit. Yet you somehow think it's a miscarriage of justice?

The irony

So far :

Maguire has assaulted an officer
Maguire has attempted to bribe them
Maguire has resisting arrest
He's still left without Jail/fine

Let's be real, if that's a Greek footballer doing the same shit kicking the police in travalgar square you guys would be baying for his head

Last edited:

Drainy

"Clearly a miscarriage of justice" because the media says so? You're not privy to anything other than tabloid junk who claims they know shit. Yet you somehow think it's a miscarriage of justice?

The irony
Do you not think that receiving the charges and evidence 2 hours before a hearing and then the hearing not being postponed is unfair?

In the UK the judge would have lost their minds if a prosecutor did that

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Do you not think that receiving the charges and evidence 2 hours before a hearing and then the hearing not being postponed is unfair?

That's how they do it, that's how their book of law stated, that's how they treat everyone equally tourist or citizen, how's that not fair?

You do now that postpone is a request, it may or may not be granted. Do you?

What's not fair? That Harry Maguire is treated according to their law? The same ruling that has been created years before Harry Maguire gets in trouble? It's not like they created one rule specifically for him.

Drainy

That's how they do it, that's how their book of law stated, that's how they treat everyone equally tourist or citizen, how's that not fair?

You do now that postpone is a request, it may or may not be granted. Do you?

What's not fair? That Harry Maguire is treated according to their law? The same ruling that has been created years before Harry Maguire gets in trouble? It's not like they created one rule specifically for him.
Because the pursuit of a court should be to enact justice, not to clear its own caseload.

If Greece has a policy to have one joke trial to just 'get through them', then a proper one on appeal then fine but people like you should accept that the first trial was not a reflection of the guilt or innocence of Maguire.

dev1l

This is from last April.....and he got insulted by the Twitter scum for it. It seems that for certain people he can do nothing right.

Smores

I keep seeing people say this but Harry pleaded not guilty to charges days before and it was adjourned to give his legal reps time to consider the case.

Which charges changed or what evidence changed so much that not only was a lack of postponement not just unfair but apparently a miscarriage of justice?

reelworld

And they do. Even in the US it's law that if a police officer does not identify themselves as a public official before exercising authority they do not get the protections they would otherwise be afforded if the other party becomes physical.(but you know, they often just say they did)

Not sure about Greece though, and as is clear there is a disconnect between right and legal.
Yes, and from what I can gather, either Maguire being a massive idiot and got violent when he knows he's facing the police or he was confused when he thinks he will be taken to the hospital and assumed that he was in danger.

I think it could be a big misunderstanding here:
- the police thought Maguire and his family and friends were being the usual English tourist troublemaker
- Maguire didn't know that they were taken by police

For what it's worth, I think the fact that the Greek authorities would accept an apology is a sign that the cops probably made a mistake as well, but can't admit that. Otherwise every drunk foreign tourist who got violent would just say that they don't know they're dealing with cops

Drainy

I keep seeing people say this but Harry pleaded not guilty to charges days before and it was adjourned to give his legal reps time to consider the case.

Which charges changed or what evidence changed so much that not only was a lack of postponement not just unfair but apparently a miscarriage of justice?
They provided a 50 page bundle 2 hours before the hearing. A lawyer would normally be afforded the opportunity to read and consider the bundle and form a coherent defence.

2 hours is not enough time to do that effectively and undermines the verdict. Is that really hard to accept?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Because the pursuit of a court should be to enact justice, not to clear its own caseload.

If Greece has a policy to have one joke trial to just 'get through them', then a proper one on appeal then fine but people like you should accept that the first trial was not a reflection of the guilt or innocence of Maguire.
Not happy with verdict : Corrupt, joke trial.

Well done. It's only justice if they let harry off with a full apology

Yes, and from what I can gather, either Maguire being a massive idiot and got violent when he knows he's facing the police or he was confused when he thinks he will be taken to the hospital and assumed that he was in danger.

- the police thought Maguire and his family and friends were being the usual English tourist troublemaker

For what it's worth, I think the fact that the Greek authorities would accept an apology is a sign that the cops probably made a mistake as well, but can't admit that. Otherwise every drunk foreign tourist who got violent would just say that they don't know they're dealing with cops
That's not the fact, that's just opinion. It's not stipulated anywhere in the verdict that "This verdict will be overruled if the defendant offers sincere apology"

THe judge didn't says that, the one who says that are probably just speculating for clicks

Drainy

Yes. The cops likely messed up and have been using a rather shoddy legal system to stick it to him because they got shown up and he wouldn't apologise because they were the ones who grabbed him first without identitying themselves. The local authorities are just institutionally biased to the local police.

Drainy

Not happy with verdict : Corrupt, joke trial.

Well done. It's only justice if they let harry off with a full apology

That's not the fact, that's just opinion. It's not stipulated anywhere in the verdict that "This verdict will be overruled if the defendant offers sincere apology"

THe judge didn't says that, the one who says that are probably just speculating for clicks
Not happy with the way the verdict was reached, you mean. Happy to correct for you.

Justice is just a word right.

Smores

They provided a 50 page bundle 2 hours before the hearing. A lawyer would normally be afforded the opportunity to read and consider the bundle and form a coherent defence.

2 hours is not enough time to do that effectively and undermines the verdict. Is that really hard to accept?
So the charges thing isn't true then? I was genuinely asking as I've not followed every detail, it was getting too silly in here.

I'd be surprised if it's not normal for some new materials to be appear late in the day. His legal team really should be able to consume that within that timeframe and under the context of their other preparations. Unless we know what was in that document then definitive statements on undermining the trial are silly but the judge made a decision and I'd lean with it being more likely reasonable than corruption.

There was a Twitter thread that went viral recently I think it was shared by the Secret Barrister explaining how little time they actually get. I get the impression some think you get massive trials for even petty crimes such as this.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not happy with the way the verdict was reached, you mean. Happy to correct for you.

Justice is just a word right.
What do you honestly thinks happened that night?

It's just a straightforward scuffle, statements are gathered, evidence if any is there, witnesses,etc are all there.

It's not some serial killer / corporate fraud that needs years and years of investigation.

You either : Punch the cop, or not punch the cop.

It's not like you'll need 2 months to compile new witness, or collecting additional information. It's all there.

If you think the court is heavy handed, I agree with you. 21 months shocked me as well, I thought he was just gonna be given a small fine. But do I think they're corrupt and bogus? nope. Maguire is a fecking footballer, he's not edward Snowden or Huawei's daughter. There's nothing to gain from all this other than bad publicity. The fact that harry refused to apologize (which I think is a fair ask if it's all a misunderstanding) means he thinks the Greek hasn't been fair, then by all mean appeal.

I'm not going to defend someone how assaulted a police officer, and refuse to admit he's wrong.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yes. The cops likely messed up and have been using a rather shoddy legal system to stick it to him because they got shown up and he wouldn't apologise because they were the ones who grabbed him first without identitying themselves. The local authorities are just institutionally biased to the local police.
This doesn't happened, stop making shits up.

They were plain clothed officers, they told Harry who they were. Harry doesn't believe them (rightly so), but that doesnt mean they don't identify themselves.

He was detained rightfully, he wasn't being tasered, he wasn't being shot. He was sent to police station, in his own van, not some shoddy kidnap van. There's no violence in the arrest.

What more do you ask of the police? A judge warrant to break a scuffle and arrest the perps?

Jonno

He's been sentenced already. Is there some other court date planned where they come up with this fine?

What's the source for this info?
Yep, the re-trail, where he won't be able to appeal and thus will get a final punishment. Which will be a huge feck off penalty and a suspended sentence.

cyberman

Didnt they submit a 400 odd page document as evidence without giving the defence a chance to analyse it?
Im not being funny but its as if certain Utd fans wants him to he found guilty.

Jonno

Amazing isn't it. When found guilty, the world brands him guilty.

When he appeals and is therefore innocent until proven guilty, the world still brands him guilty.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
@Damien @Niall @Invictus

Usually threads like this are moved to general forum isn't it, which involves cops, legal system and on going court case. Remember threads were locked as the case was handled in courts or moved to General forum.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Amazing isn't it. When found guilty, the world brands him guilty.

When he appeals and is therefore innocent until proven guilty, the world still brands him guilty.
That is factually incorrect to be fair. You are innocent until proven guilty until you are found guilty which he was. He is now guilty until proven innocent by appeal.

Jonno

Didnt they submit a 400 odd page document as evidence without giving the defence a chance to analyse it?
Exactly this. The whole thing has been a farce and he's literally been deemed innocent until proven guilty. Some "fans" need to give their head a wobble. In fact, not even specifically United fans, but every fan within football need to realise, he's innocent until proven guilty, and the original trial was an absolute farce.

Jonno

Smores

I honestly don't care if he's guilty or not, it's not the big issue some are making it out to be.

Balance on the discussion is useful though isn't it?

Rather than just accusing anyone who doesn't automatically jump to the support of Maguire at all costs as some how being agenda driven? That's what you've done and it kind of nullifies sensible discussion, it's also a bit ironic (don't you think).

So we've gone from 50 to 400 pages, is this all rumour again? The facts of this case change a lot on here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
400 odd page?

So the DA / Judge has the time to submit 400 page of document and Harry's lawyer can't prepare shits on time?
Eh? The prosecutors are required to compel the judge of the defendants guilt beyond reasonal doubt, while the defendant should be given every opportunity to prove their innocence. That's very hard to do when you all you have is the charge sheets.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
All the talk about players having security with them will be fine for the likes of Harry who were with his family. What happens if a group of footballers go on holiday? Do they all have their own bodyguards? The island will be full of bodyguards. Also this might protect the footballers, but why don't we just try to get the holidaymakers to fecking behave themselves. The footballers shouldn't need security. It won't stop the local having to deal with the yobs that arrive in their thousands every year. I know everybody needs to let their hair down but this lot behave like that every weekend here as well. Maybe some of them should take a look at themselves.

Drainy

This doesn't happened, stop making shits up.

They were plain clothed officers, they told Harry who they were. Harry doesn't believe them (rightly so), but that doesnt mean they don't identify themselves.

He was detained rightfully, he wasn't being tasered, he wasn't being shot. He was sent to police station, in his own van, not some shoddy kidnap van. There's no violence in the arrest.

What more do you ask of the police? A judge warrant to break a scuffle and arrest the perps?
the police have ID for that reason and they swore that they showed it.

where is the cctv, where are the body cams proving it?

It's more believable that the police messed up by not identifying themselves than a professional footballer with a great reputation to start attacking police officers.

They even said that Maguire wasn't that drunk and was walking straight. It's not a straight forward drunk brawl. Plausibly there was legitimate confusion caused by police incompetence.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

The irony

So far :

Maguire has assaulted an officer
Maguire has attempted to bribe them
Maguire has resisting arrest
He's still left without Jail/fine

Let's be real, if that's a Greek footballer doing the same shit kicking the police in travalgar square you guys would be baying for his head
Considering I know the Maguire family being from the same area I know how quiet and normal the guys are. Sure anyone can get into trouble especially when alcohol is involved but I think it’s clear we aren’t being given the full story here. I’d rather give Maguire the benefit of the doubt against an often corrupt police force.

Status
Not open for further replies.