Harry Maguire - Manchester United Player

Devil may care

I'd never heard anything about him being a United fan so those tweets and pics were cool to see.

SATA

This guy is mint. He absolutely wants to be here which is great to see. I’m getting a United shirt tomorrow with his name and number on the back

Ventura

Well, at least nobody can say we didn't show him the money. Good signing though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Not good if he decides to team up with Beanz.
I'm not saying that Lingard is a 26 year old man child who cares more about bantz and his social media than he does football, but that's exactly what I'm saying.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Could have saved ourselves a lot of money by buying him from Hull like many shrewd people wanted but I'm glad he's here now. Good player, powerful, can play football and is at a good age now.

fps

Not good if he decides to team up with Beanz.
Oh no. Could they not have kept Lingard in a cupboard or something, until Harry had met some of the grown-ups at the club?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Seen this a lot with reference to Jesse. ‘Beanz’ is Rashford’s nickname.
I like to pretend the nickname doesn’t exist nevermind correcting people about who it refers to

Classical Mechanic

Reading the Maguire article in the athletic. A few interesting points:

Fergie was interested in him after the 2011 FA youth cup game and rang him to wish him well after he suffered concussion in that game.
Phelan recommended both Maguire and Robertson to United after he left Hull.
Phelan was a big advocate in the transfer after being impressed with his leadership qualities and desire to learn. He would ask Phelan about how Rio and Vida approached certain situations etc.
City tried to use Otamendi (wages too high) and Mangala (they weren’t falling for that) as makeweights before walking away after their offer worth £70m was rejected.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
More people like Maguire over moneybags dybala please!

These types will take us back to the top with heart and passion, not sulking counting their money.

Red Bilko

Last Man Standing Hard Mode champion 2023/24
"Never saw one of the old clubs wishing the player on the transfer"

I heard they got £9m or something for a buy on clause. So they will be happy.

Jack-C20

Getting more and more excited about this coming season now so we can see how the new signings do in competitive football for us. The back four should be solid now. Actually hoping we’re a threat from corners now as well!

Oh and obviously I look forward to seeing if people spelling his name wrong online transfers over into getting his name on a shirt...

Spielmacher

Wow, with Wan-Bissaka and Maguire in the team how could we possibly concede any goals this season?

Thiagoal

Always knew he’d be a United player since watching him against Pogba, Ravel and J Lingz in youth cup final in 2011!

Red4Life_#7

All that money because he's homegrown. If he were foreign he would be at least half. I'm sorry for coming across negative but I'm just baffled how bad we are at signings when we could've had him a lot cheaper. Not excited about this one.
I understand you, but we just have to forget about the money and let the club worry about that. He is an upgrade on all our CBs.

We could have had him 10million cheaper last year but no idea what went wrong there. Maybe Jose didn't want him that badly.
Board didn't back Jose, didn't want to give him more money to spend. Leicester wanted 65m .

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I like to pretend the nickname doesn’t exist nevermind correcting people about who it refers to
Okay. It does exist though, and is the nickname of Marcus Rashford. But you are right in your implying that it matters little either way, as it doesn’t so let me go back in my box.

el3mel

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
"In May, Ed Woodward asked Leicester City how much they wanted for Harry Maguire and was told £80m. On Monday, the master of negotiation completed the deal, paying £80m finally to secure the centre-back six days before Manchester United’s first game of the season."
:lol:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/05/harry-maguire-control-authority-manchester-united
Players cost is always going up. So 80m today is different than 80m last year. It's not that hard to understand.

But yeh, it doesn't fit the narrative.

fps

Players cost is always going up. So 80m today is different than 80m last year. It's not that hard to understand.

Does it go up by more than the defensive collapse that meant we missed Champions League football cost us?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

He's not talking about the fee rising over a year, he's talking about us procrastinating over the same fee for 3 months, wasting time that could've been spent helping Maguire adapt.

Cloud7

AON are wasting their money.
Buying naming rights to an existing structure is stupid in my opinion. If it’s an entirely new structure like the emirates then fair enough, but a long established name like Carrington or Old Trafford, no one is likely to call it anything different.

Cloud7

He looks like a United center back doesn’t he? It’s hard to put my finger on what it is, but in the United kit he looks like he belongs here. Haven’t felt that way about a CB since Rio and Vida.