Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That’s exactly the attitude that has got us where we are. We’ve signed several CB’s already, though none were fit for purpose.
Key qualifier was slightly below that though: "As long as we're sure they'll improve us at least somewhat". In other words once I know they're good enough to supplant Chris Smalling and make us a better side, I won't worry about whether they can or can't be much better than that.

The likes of Bailly & Rojo fell at that first hurdle.

George The Best

Key qualifier was slightly below that though: "As long as we're sure they'll improve us at least somewhat". In other words once I know they're good enough to supplant Chris Smalling and make us a better side, I won't worry about whether they can or can't be much better than that.

The likes of Bailly & Rojo fell at that first hurdle.
Yes, I did see that. So who, other than Maguire, that is available for less than Harry would you suggest?

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I still think you could get a player for CB and CDM for £80,000,000 from my previous list and you’d be better off (team wise).

Cliche Guevara

Wouldn’t you say it is a fair strategy in order to not inflate a price for a replacement? Meaning that they leak fake news to the media via intermediaries, and secure a better deal? Would think Leicester could afford Dunk/Tarkowski easily without the Maguire transfer, but after it, they could be asked for silly money - like United are btw.
I agree with him. It seems a bit daft:

Leicester: Can we have Dunk?
Brighton: Yes
Leicester: How much?
Brighton: £40m
Leicester: Deal
Brighton: Wait, wait, wait, you’ve not just sold Maguire for more than £80m have you?
Leicester: (Shuffles nervously) Nooooo (high pitched)
Brighton: Have you? Tell the truth...
Leicester: Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh
Brighton: £60m you cnuts

Mr. Ant

Just pay what they want and sign him, I doubt that the club will have the time to sign somebody else in three weeks and if we don't spend our budget Glazers will just put it in their pockets.

urbanspacefox

Supports
Leicester City
What is that 10 games? anyhow, Leicester have all the right to think they can cut the line to the big 6, but that aint going to happen, weather they hold on onto Maguire or not.
I was using your own metric to illustrate how a new manager mid season can provide a boost to a team’s form. Ole clearly had an impact with you guys but by the time Rodgers came to Leicester, you’d hit poor form.

Also, do you really think you can still write off Leicester City?

You’re a Leicester fan so of course you are going to say all the above.

1. The club is so ambitious you have lost your best players since you won league. United are far more ambitious and whether you like it or not United are always going to bigger than Leicester City.

6. Extremely debatable he’s one of the best CB in the league. Maybe the best CB outside the top 4.

11. You were bullied for Kanté and Mahrez. The only reason you kept Vardy from leaving was because you put him on stupid money. I expect Maguire to leave as well.

The only thing in your favour is he signed a 5 year contract only last year.
After we won the league Khun Vichai made sure we aggressively protected our assets.
Kante had a clause in his contract to go to a club with European football for £20m. This contract was signed the summer after we pulled off the Great Escape and so wasn’t set up from the perspective of us being Champions. Chelsea came in for him, even though they didn’t have Europe, and could offer him huge wages (STCC rules meant that we couldn’t increase our wage payments by a certain amount). Kante wanted to play for Chelsea as he was a fan as a boy. We managed to squeeze £32m out of them though.
Everyone else signed new contracts - with no more release clauses. Vichai also refused to let more than one major player to leave per year.
2017 - as everyone knows, Mahrez wanted to leave so badly he spent transfer deadline day in an airport hoping someone would come in for him. Nobody did. Chelsea came in for Drinkwater though, for £37m which in hindsight is genius business.
Man City tried to bully us into selling them Mahrez in January 2018 by coming in the last 2 days of the window with a bid we felt was derisory and left us with no time to source a replacement. They also disrupted the player, who went AWOL for 2 weeks. Man City offered £60m + an injury prone player we didn’t want, so Vichai told them it was £90m. .

We’re in a strong enough position now to demand the fee we want. United know our valuation, it’s up to them to meet it. We’re not going to lower it. If I were Khun Top I'd be adding a million quid a day to until from now on. Rodgers also said there may be a cut off date.

Personally I can see him staying.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
LCFC fan here.

What I dont like about this transfer saga is every single day media are reporting something new, either they are just spinning from nothing or someone from man utd keeps pushing them to do it, I have never seen this kind of relentless activity media before for a player leaving our club. If Man utd are pushing for daily harassment by the media then its lowest of the low.

Also If these rumours are led to be believed then.

Maguire is effectively been held prisoner yet hasnt even made a transfer request.

A deal is closed to been made yet our manager has confirmed our valuation hasnt even been met.

Man utd only have one CB target and cannot even meet the valuation for him?

It is ok for Man utd to ask for large money for pogba but not ok for LCFC to do the same for Maguire.

I will be annoyed if you suddenly meet the valuation and we sell him at last minute, why wait weeks to meet the valuation, if you not prepared to meet the valuation why not move on to a new target? its as if you think we will suddenly flip for no reason.

Is this how all your transfers play out?
This is pretty normal.

Axle17

After watching the second half against Leeds, it was quiet obvious how cringeworthy our number one centre backs are. We really need a new CB, no doubt about it.

But I'd happily use the money to fund a DM, RW and a new CM if it means Rodgers can go do one!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I actually think you need more than the one player and need to replace Matic too.

In terms of CBs-

Aké
Romagnoli
Skriniar
Elvedi
Djene
Akanji
Tah
Konate
Milenkovic
Upamecano
N’Dicka
Llorente

CDMs

Gbamin
Neves
Brozovic
Zubeldia
Roca
Tonali

If you spread the £80,000,000 over two of those, I actually think you’d be better off personally.
Skriniar and Neves would cost considerably more than £80m and I'd say those are the only obvious 2 from your list that would significantly improve us now.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I actually think you need more than the one player and need to replace Matic too.

In terms of CBs-

Aké
Romagnoli
Skriniar
Elvedi
Djene
Akanji
Tah
Konate
Milenkovic
Upamecano
N’Dicka
Llorente

CDMs

Gbamin
Neves
Brozovic
Zubeldia
Roca
Tonali

If you spread the £80,000,000 over two of those, I actually think you’d be better off personally.
We do need more. Mourinho said so, Solskjær has said so. We've bought two players, only one of whom is expected to slot into the starting 11.

RobbieBerns

I still think you could get a player for CB and CDM for £80,000,000 from my previous list and you’d be better off (team wise).
We can’t afford to take another swing and a miss on a CB. Maguire is the safest option mentioned given we know how he’ll perform in this league, he’s entering his prime currently, and his skill set + experience is exactly what we need in a partner for Lindelof.

As for a Matic replacement, McTominay supplanted him already at the tail end of last season, and I have no reason to believe we’re not entering next year with Scott as first choice, for better or for worse. Links to Longstaff also lend credence to the fact that we’re actively looking to move on from Matic.

Redcy

IMO:

Aké - Not much better, or not obviously so, is a possible though
Romagnoli - Doesnt want to leave
Skriniar - Doesnt want to leave or come to us

Nowhere near good enough:
Elvedi
Djene
Akanji

Good players, coming from a different league as talent/punts for at least 50m:
Tah
Konate
Milenkovic
Upamecano

Not good enough:
N’Dicka
Llorente

And that is the problem, we have seen our share of "potential world class" defenders, and none of them have been so, the difference between paying 40m for Ake and 75m for Maguire is the argument. Ake doesnt have the quality of Maguire. The others who do are completely unproven in a new country/massive club atmosphere.

urbanspacefox

Supports
Leicester City
No, they weren’t. They had to sell because Van Dijk forced the move.
Maguire won’t force a move. So we don’t have to sell. Therefore we can set our own valuation and it’s up to United or someone else to meet it. It’s literally that simple.

Bondi77

I have just seen a link to Merih Demiral and he looks like a player with real potential so it will be interesting to see what happens there.
If we are all in agreement that we probably will not challenge for the title this year but will be happy for top 4 and play an attractive attacking style of football and possibly win a trophy then I am happy to see a Milenkovic or a Demiral type player come to the club then spend upwards of 65mil on Maguire.

SamVimes

Toby Alderweireld release clause is £25 million. What the fxxk are we doing here?

WPMUFC

Toby Alderweireld release clause is £25 million. What the fxxk are we doing here?
Well if the leaks around the last time he was available were true, woodward did not want to buy him because we had just bought 2 prospects and have about 5 CBs on the squad list, and didn't want to spend 200k+ in wages for what was deemed toby's last contract.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire won’t force a move. So we don’t have to sell. Therefore we can set our own valuation and it’s up to United or someone else to meet it. It’s literally that simple.
That’s what happened earlier with Van Dijk. If this keeps up then the player will be unhappy with the silly asking fees that the club is asking & will have no choice but to force for a move.

Bondi77

If we have a price ceiling of 65mil and Leicester want at least 75mil up front then let us just move on to something else.
For that price we get Alderweireld and Milenkovic which gives us short term and long term cover and at worst an asset with good resale value and we ship out Rojo and Bailly.

macheda14

Conspiracy theory (that is bullshit). United leaked that we’d signed him to less reputable sources. A club/company that takes too much stock in its perception wanted to float the idea that Maguire would be the most expensive CB in the world. Mocking ensued, we don’t want to pursue.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I feel like We need to sign a top class CB now. Not sure if Maguire fits that profile, I rarely see him play. We simply can't afford to buy more average CB.

We have :
1. Jones <average because his injury keeps screwing his rythm>
2. Smalling <average due to inconsistency, overall decent but sometimes He forgets how to defend>
3. Bailly <same as Smalling but more rash, when He pull those harsh tackles off He looks top class otherwise looks clueless>
4. Lindelof <bought as a "future potential", so far decent but nothing suggest He's a top class CB>
5. Rojo : The spanish drug dealer who ran away from The Polícia and pretends to be a football player for ManUnited to avoid them

We have 5 fecking CBs. None of them are good and consistent enough to be our main CB. If Maguire is only slightly better than Jones, let's say, then We'll have 6 CBs that We'll struggle to get rid of and be in the same situation as We are now in a few season.

If We must break the bank for a CB, make sure it's a top top CB. Otherwise let's just go with the same CBs and invest elsewhere.

Last edited:

United Roar

The club are well within their rights not to pay the eye watering 80 million for a bang average mid table player. We already have 6 centre backs buy him and we have 7 and 5 of those we can't shift out.

Maguire won't force the move he isn't the sort of person to kick up a fuss he knows which side his bread is buttered. People only want him because he is English he only looked good at Leicester because of Puels system which like Jose's can make any player look better than what they are.

kerryman

We were in a position to gamble back then, given the squad we had. We aren't in a position to gamble in every position today. We are gambling in hoping our raw youngsters in attack can step up, and we've gambled enough at the centre back position for a few seasons now. An established player in the heart of defence is long overdue.
If we aren't willing 'to gamble' then we have to pay the super high fee Leicester have quoted or any other team will quote for experienced, top level players. Simple! Those teams have gambled and won so why should they sell on their prized assets, unless it's for silly money. United either have to pay way over the odds to get these players or else suck it up and take a chance and buy up and coming players and hope they develop into world class players. No club has the right to expect others to sell them their best players for modest fees just because we are United.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hopefully not.

He'll still come. not at all surprising we are leaking stuff that we are moving on. Clearly a leak from us given the lack of names he has used.

He's our number 1 target and should be brought in for the manager.
First of all I don't think he was our number 1 target. I think Koulibaly was and for good reason. Koulibaly is way better then Maguire. Secondly a big club needs to have alternatives. We can't just throw money for a player we think is not worth that money.

devilish

There are countless CBs that weren’t deemed wc before they signed. Vidic was a surprise. Stam was coming from the Dutch league. Brilliant ‘lesser’ players like Berg and Johnson wouldn’t have been anyone’s first choice. Point being Maguire is a good player. I suspect a great many, me included, don’t watch 90 mins week in week out...and it just might be that upon signing we actually realise how good/great he really is. He could be CB saviour in the mould of VVD at Liverpool. And if his attitude and application is what the media suggest, then the attitude of the squad will also be greatly improved
The problem is that VVD, Vidic nor Stam had any glaring weaknesses in their game. Maguire is slow, very very slow. At 80m-90m we can do better.

Eric's Seagull

We can’t afford to take another swing and a miss on a CB. Maguire is the safest option mentioned given we know how he’ll perform in this league, he’s entering his prime currently, and his skill set + experience is exactly what we need in a partner for Lindelof.

As for a Matic replacement, McTominay supplanted him already at the tail end of last season, and I have no reason to believe we’re not entering next year with Scott as first choice, for better or for worse. Links to Longstaff also lend credence to the fact that we’re actively looking to move on from Matic.
Hopefully we move Matic on when his contract expires next summer. If we give him new contract, I think it would be insane and make me have even less faith in Woody than I have in him at the moment, which is currently not a lot.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
If, I said if, the price is 80mil up front, no bonus, no nonsense; then Utd need to pay it and stop faffing about if he is top target.
Utd’s behaviour here is looking quite arrogant or feckless, and despite the attempt to change the rhetoric to paint Leicester as the bad guys here, you really have zero excuse having just paid 50mil for a kid with 1 year in the EPL (don’t give me that potential crappy argument, as you have been awful with potential of late)
Guessing you will walk away, hope you strike lucky with who you do get, if any one.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Thank you, nice to see a balanced viewpoint. As for where we finish all I can say is I think we're assembling a fine young balanced team that is going to be very creative and attack minded.

I personally think Wolves will be impacted by Europa League participation.

If we see attractive never say die football I certainly wouldn't rule us out from being on the premises, time will tell.
No worries.

I actually really like what is happening at both Wolves and Leicester – both examples of squads being well built in an organic fashion.

I know the former have taken a lot of stick for their Mendes connection, but Nuno has still done all the right things in how he's assembled his team and there is not a bad egg in sight.

Leicester make me a bit envious in how they have continually plucked great players from relative obscurity – and it's not even going back to Mahrez and Kante. Chilwell, Maguire, Pereira, Ndidi, Maddison and Vardy would all considerably upgrade our squad – probably even the starting eleven.

I know what you mean about Wolves and the EL – I suppose time will tell. I have been surprised at their lack of transfer activity so far, but there's still time.

Arsenal, Chelsea and United are most in danger of getting caught by that chasing duo, but think they still have the edge as things stand.

West Ham are also having a go, and Pellegrini is a very good manager, so it's a seriously strong top half of the table potentially.

Back to Maguire, I think it's a pretty simple situation:

- Does he improve us? Yes.
- Are we that far off Leicester's valuation? Not really. So just fecking pay up and we can all get on with our lives.

devilish

If, I said if, the price is 80mil up front, no bonus, no nonsense; then Utd need to pay it and stop faffing about if he is top target.
Utd’s behaviour here is looking quite arrogant or feckless, and despite the attempt to change the rhetoric to paint Leicester as the bad guys here, you really have zero excuse having just paid 50mil for a kid with 1 year in the EPL (don’t give me that potential crappy argument, as you have been awful with potential of late)
Guessing you will walk away, hope you strike lucky with who you do get, if any one.
80m is a ridiculous amount of money for a non WC defender with no pace.

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

The club are well within their rights not to pay the eye watering 80 million for a bang average mid table player. We already have 6 centre backs buy him and we have 7 and 5 of those we can't shift out.

Maguire won't force the move he isn't the sort of person to kick up a fuss he knows which side his bread is buttered. People only want him because he is English he only looked good at Leicester because of Puels system which like Jose's can make any player look better than what they are.
Personally I think we should have paid the £75m I hear West ham were quoting for Diop mate.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Can I ask, why isn't Maguire worth £80m? Because he's English?, Because he's young?, Because he has little European experience?, Because he's only won the Prem once? VvD was a gamble for £75m and look at him now, potentially a Ballon D'or candidate and he went from a mid table, so-so team to a top 6 team and has made a massive difference. He's big, strong, athletic, determined and can lead from the back. I personally think in Maguire, if we purchase him, we will have the English version. If it takes £5m more than VvD to get him, then so be it. For christ's sake, we are still paying a fortune for barely average players, maybe Woody should bite the bullet and get him, god kknows we need someone like him. As fans, we would have happily sanctioned £100m+ for Koulibally.
To correct you he hasnt got a EPL title, I noticed some of the press think he has as well but he wasnt in our squad in our title season. But I guess this is what happens with the press when they not reporting on big 6 club players they dont fact check properly.

I think you guys really need to have another target, its poor going if maguire is your only plan.

devilish

Last year the defence was bombarded on three fronts.

a- We had DDG who wasn't fully focused on what he's doing due to his contract problems.
b- We had Matic who was becoming too slow as DM
c- We had a non existent RB

Rather then just add another slow CB in the mix (Lindelof-Maguire-Matic would be like watching a movie on slow motion), I think we're better off sorting DDG's contract situation, add a mobile DM and maybe bring a decent CB whose good in air, whose decent with the ball and has some real pace. That's the type of player who would compliment Lindelof greatly.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
80m is a ridiculous amount of money for a non WC defender with no pace.
50m is a ridiculous amount of money for a non WC full back with very little experience :)

See what I did there? As a wise man once said, "you do it to yourself you do, you and no-one else"

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I totally agree but it's a crazy market and Leicester don't need to sell for financial reasons from what I've read and in my opinion it would be more advantageous for them to keep him to build on the season they had last year mate.
That’s right. They need him. We need a CB but we don’t need to pay 80m for one. It’s odd to me that Leicester and a lot of people in here seem to think he’s our only CB transfer prospect... If they truly asked 80m then I’m sure Ed laughed them off by now

Status
Not open for further replies.