Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red4Life_#7

Maybe that is or isn't true, but most importantly, he ticks all of the boxes for Solskjaer.
Sign Maguire and our defence would be sorted for the next 5 years...
De Gea - 28
Wan Bissaka - 21
Shaw - 24
Lindelof - 25
Maguire - 26

Dalot - 20
Tuanzebe - 21
Smalling - 29

We can then start the attempt to shift some of those surplus defenders, Rojo, Bailly, Darmian, Young & Jones.
I agree he is an upgrade on Mike and Phil, but the lack of real pace of both Lindelof and Maguire isn't ideal, hopefully he is bought as part of a restructure.

UncleBob

I agree he is an upgrade on Mike and Phil, but the lack of real pace of both Lindelof and Maguire isn't ideal, hopefully he is bought as part of a restructure.
Lack of pace isn't that much of a concern as long as the defender is good at positioning himself. The importance of pace is, to an extent, overrated.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I reckon it's dead.

Leicester aren't in a need to sell, Maguire isn't making enough noise and we clearly aren't interested in paying an absurd fee.
If Maguire told his board that he is keen to move, maybe it's not dead.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems like it'll go to the wire. I still expect a deal to be done as I can't see why Leicester would want to keep an unhappy player there.

RkkMan

I reckon it's dead.

Leicester aren't in a need to sell, Maguire isn't making enough noise and we clearly aren't interested in paying an absurd fee.
Reports have suggested we haven't walked away as of yet this one will go till deadline day it seems

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I reckon it's dead.

We already submitted a £70 million offer. The club is clearly willing to pay an absurd fee. Not just more absurd.

But for all we know the fee is already agreed on, and all they stick on now are normal things like sell on% and add-ons.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Seems like it'll go to the wire. I still expect a deal to be done as I can't see why Leicester would want to keep an unhappy player there.
Maybe like a Ronaldo / Van Dijk situation though where the player agrees to stay one more season on the promise of getting his big move after that (probably to City!)

Red4Life_#7

Lack of pace isn't that much of a concern as long as the defender is good at positioning himself. The importance of pace is, to an extent, overrated.
Yes I agree, players like Terry did great. But the modern game is getting faster and faster and CB are required to be very nimble. Just look at the body builds of modern CBs compared to Sol Campbell, Terry etc.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We already submitted a £70 million offer. The club is clearly willing to pay an absurd fee. Not just more absurd.

But for all we know the fee is already agreed on, and all they stick on now are normal things like sell on% and add-ons.
They want £90m don’t they? We’d be mad paying that, and like Bob said Maguire himself isn’t making enough commotion to force it through at a lower price.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
They want £90m don’t they? We’d be mad paying that, and like Bob said Maguire himself isn’t making enough commotion to force it through at a lower price.
There's been many more reports that Leicester want £80 million. £90m has only been mentioned a couple times, but of course the figure is higher than what the club originally offered.

Maguire has everything to lose by making noise in the public eye so I can't fault him for not turning on his club and potentially fans by going public or handing in a transfer request.

UncleBob

Yes I agree, players like Terry did great. But the modern game is getting faster and faster and CB are required to be very nimble. Just look at the body builds of modern CBs compared to Sol Campbell, Terry etc.
No idea what you mean ref Terry, Sol Campbell is the outlier in terms of size, and I doubt either of them would struggle in modern football.

Eric's Seagull

This! Leicester don't want to sell. They've put a price on Maguire that reflects that. They've created a win / win. They either keep the player or raise enough to improve their squad. I'd do the same.

Even though it's a shed load of cash I would just pay it and get I done. It is what it is.
At this point in time I would just pay them what they want as well but can't see that happening and don't think we will sign him.

Eric's Seagull

This is exactly what they are trying to do, but if It's true that Maguire is pushing for a move it could be a different matter. They still won't let him go for any less than 80million which Woodward don't want to pay. This saga will go on until into next week and maybe last day. Hope we have an alternative lined up.
I can see this going on unti;l the end and see us ultimately failing. Leicester said they wanted time to go for a replacement. We are not leaving them much time unless they have someone immeditely lined up. Totally agree with your point in bold as I think if we dont sign a central defender it is going to negatively affect come the start of the season.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
There's been many more reports that Leicester want £80 million. £90m has only been mentioned a couple times, but of course the figure is higher than what the club originally offered.

Maguire has everything to lose by making noise in the public eye so I can't fault him for not turning on his club and potentially fans by going public or handing in a transfer request.
Transfer request wouldn't lose fans support, Muzzy Izzet once played half a season for us after handing in a transfer request as he wanted us to let him move to West Ham, he still performed, was still loved, still is to this day, and ended up withdrawing the request and signing a new contract.

I would back Harry, if he handed in a request but no deal was agreed to perform in much the same way and retain his popularity with the fans

PieCrust

Been negotiating deal for two years and now up against the deadline yet again with no back up targets. Shameful really. Either pay what Leicester wants or move on. It's obvious they don't want to sell him and he won't have in a transfer request, so that's that. Circus.

Rajma

75m is an absurd sum of money for Maguire and more than a reasonable compensation for Leicester, so all in all, ball is Maguire's court to make this move happen as surely even he can't expect us to pay 90m.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If Leicester said £90m straight off and we were only prepared to go top £70m. We should have moved on a long time ago in my opinion.
I think that figure is just paper talk.....If we do manage to sign Maguire I'd be surprised if its for much more than £75m

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
First it was that we need to match the £75m van Dijk fee. Then it was we need to pay £80m. Now it's £90m. Paper-talk nonsense. Complete guessing game from the English media just because it hasn't been done yet. I imagine it will be done for £80m (which is still absurd money) and we are just waiting for Leicester to find a replacement. As Di Marzio says "one step away".

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First it was that we need to match the £75m van Dijk fee. Then it was we need to pay £80m. Now it's £90m. Paper-talk nonsense. Complete guessing game from the English media just because it hasn't been done yet. I imagine it will be done for £80m (which is still absurd money) and we are just waiting for Leicester to find a replacement. As Di Marzio says "one step away".
Agreed.

I think it's a chain of events that'll eventually pinball into action in the last week or so.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get a Berbatov style last minute in the window jobbie :drool:

Gopher Brown

See, people going on about Maguire being over priced at £80m, but if we end up with the forever-injured Umtiti for £50m that is dreadful value for money.

croadyman

Is this dead in the water? Surely it should be wrapped up by now.
Personally I think this has been leaked out to show Leicester that Utd have other options and are willing to walk away. I am still confident of signing him and this tactic might see the deal suddenly pick up pace again. Maybe I am completely wrong but going to remain positive on the situation.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Transfer request wouldn't lose fans support, Muzzy Izzet once played half a season for us after handing in a transfer request as he wanted us to let him move to West Ham, he still performed, was still loved, still is to this day, and ended up withdrawing the request and signing a new contract.

I would back Harry, if he handed in a request but no deal was agreed to perform in much the same way and retain his popularity with the fans
Thanks for the feedback from a fan of the team. I guess my opinion might be wrong in that case :)

You have a fantastic player in Maguire, I really hope he does join Man United in the end.

moodyred

It isn't my money so pay what we need to get the man. After last season, everyone should be taking a pay cut, starting from management and players to fund these purchases

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Personally I think this has been leaked out to show Leicester that Utd have other options and are willing to walk away. I am still confident of signing him and this tactic might see the deal suddenly pick up pace again. Maybe I am completely wrong but going to remain positive on the situation.
leaking something to show you are willing to walk away only works if the other team is trying to sell, which we aren't

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't think they give a shit about our options tbh. They don't want to sell him.

peridigm

Reports have suggested we haven't walked away as of yet this one will go till deadline day it seems
I think Leicester are just calling United's bluff and will accept an offer on deadline day if it goes that long. On the other hand, if it fails to happen, I doubt Maguire is the type of player to go on strike or throw a fit. He'll be irritated but play on and maybe be sold for more in the next window depending on his performances.

Alemar

leaking something to show you are willing to walk away only works if the other team is trying to sell, which we aren't
You will definitely not sell him at the same or higher price next season, as he will be a year older already. He may still command say 70m, but not more any longer - and that’s if he has a good season (which is never a guarantee if the guy is pissed by being denied a move).

It only makes sense if you don’t plan to cash in on players at all - that’s another story of course

Status
Not open for further replies.