Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

talksport isn't breaking anything, that rumor has been doing the rounds for hours. They added the deadline part though.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
talksport isn't breaking anything, that rumor has been doing the rounds for hours. They added the deadline part though.
Going by Leicester forum, Geoff Peters is reliable and he works for Talk sport.

But not sure if the source for this story is Geoff Peters.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
It's all so fragile though, isn't it?

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.
Its a fair post, and many of us acknowledge this.

I have no issue with how we responding other than I think we maybe should have told you "not for sale", But we gave you a price and I think its reasonable to hold you to it.

I think the way its been handled with someone harassing the media (I assume his agent and possibly also your club) has been wrong and disrespectful to our club. All the fake tweet stories are ridiculous.

What I will agree with you on though is of course you are and will always be above us in the food chain.

Not only that we will never be able to hold a successful team together, at least if they young players. I have even said on foxestalk a club like ourselves might be better buying more players like Evans, because buying a 29-30 year old means their age will deter bigger clubs. Keeping a 29 year old for 3-4 years is better than losing a 22 year old after 2 years. We kept Vardy because of his age really. We was lucky only Arsenal showed interest who I think are the least attractive club out of the big 5.

We "will" lose Chilwell, Maddison, Maguire, Ricardo, and Tielemans at some point, also with the way Ndidi is improving probably him as well, they will not be playing for us until their 30s, no chance. We might keep one of them for 4 years maybe, but that will be about it, I accept this, essentially we need a season where everything falls into place and just maximise the opportunity, like our title winning season.

I want us to maximise our chance hence holding firm on Maguire, but I am also a realist.

Reactions: Jippy

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Trouble is our other options really are

1) nobody
2) diop for around 65m
3) name any other decent potential for 50m aka Tah, Konate etc
4) nobody
In my view it is a serious failure of policy at your club if you put all eggs into one basket here, Maguire or nothing. You have had the entire summer to sign someone. There would be another CB somewhere, that would have been a suitable alternative. I get a feeling though that your club wants the easy option of someone already proven in the EPL, as foreign transfers are always higher risk.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
In my view it is a serious failure of policy at your club if you put all eggs into one basket here, Maguire or nothing. You have had the entire summer to sign someone. There would be another CB somewhere, that would have been a suitable alternative. I get a feeling though that your club wants the easy option of someone already proven in the EPL, as foreign transfers are always higher risk.
Koulibaly and De Ligt were our options before we got to Maguire

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
I know it's talksport but Geoff Peters who also works for them is apparently reliable, at least that's what i saw in Leicester forum and Geoff Peters also posts there.
I do believe a new bid has actually gone in this time unlike all those fake reports, its not quite 80m though, but it is close.

I think we will reject it, but this is my opinion only on the rejection, its an educated guess based on how we have reacted so far.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Tell us about it

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think we will reject it, but this is my opinion only on the rejection, its an educated guess based on how we have reacted so far.
I do get the feeling that LCFC would reject any bid, even if it meets their earlier valuations.

stevoc

Unless we have an alternative (which if we did is the best kept secret this summer) then I dont know why we'd put a deadline on it?
Doubt the deadline part is true but if it is maybe to give us time to look into some alternatives we hadn't considered yet.

El-Manos

If they don’t accept that they’re insane. If we weren’t so bloody desperate i’d be calling our board mad. Leicester can easily make 2-3 new signings with that money. Several reports have highlighted Maguire’s desire to leave, why doesn’t he submit a bloody transfer request then?

ForestRGoinUp

It's all so fragile though, isn't it?

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.
Reminds me of Dallas Cowboys fans in the late 90s. All these years later now, and they’re still just a mediocre rich team.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Koulibaly and De Ligt were our options before we got to Maguire
We also had a nibble at the likes of Diop and others but were quoted around the £60m region anyway.

stevoc

I have no issue with how we responding other than I think we maybe should have told you "not for sale", But we gave you a price and I think its reasonable to hold you to it.

I think the way its been handled with someone harassing the media (I assume his agent and possibly also your club) has been wrong and disrespectful to our club. All the fake tweet stories are ridiculous.

What I will agree with you on though is of course you are and will always be above us in the food chain.

Not only that we will never be able to hold a successful team together, at least if they young players. I have even said on foxestalk a club like ourselves might be better buying more players like Evans, because buying a 29-30 year old means their age will deter bigger clubs. Keeping a 29 year old for 3-4 years is better than losing a 22 year old after 2 years. We kept Vardy because of his age really. We was lucky only Arsenal showed interest who I think are the least attractive club out of the big 5.

We "will" lose Chilwell, Maddison, Maguire, Ricardo, and Tielemans at some point, also with the way Ndidi is improving probably him as well, they will not be playing for us until their 30s, no chance. We might keep one of them for 4 years maybe, but that will be about it, I accept this, essentially we need a season where everything falls into place and just maximise the opportunity, like our title winning season.

I want us to maximise our chance hence holding firm on Maguire, but I am also a realist.
Man Utd have and will continue to plant certain stories in the press if they think it will further the clubs aims. But don't kid yourself that Leicester don't do the exact same thing on a smaller scale mate.

Having said that we can be certain that 99% of the speculation surrounding Maguire this summer is coming from the media themselves. Its the nature of the business these days, they are all under pressure to generate clicks. And no club generates more than United.

Redcy

Don’t think it’s an easy option, we have bought our fair share of diamonds in the rough, but it has come down to the fact then when we polished them they have turned out to be turds. We need a proven quality defender who doesn’t need time to adapt

RkkMan

I do get the feeling that LCFC would reject any bid, even if it meets their earlier valuations.
Maybe as deadline day approaches but surely they'd accept a world record fee now?? Especially with the player wanting out and time still left to get a replacement??

Nialinho

Leicester will surely give up eventually! I mean £80M would be a world record deal (Defender) for a player who isn't in the top 10 CB's in the world. They can sign a capable replacement in Tarkowski and still have £30 left to play with. I get they have a billionaire owner and don't need to sell but he wants to leave, might not be the same player for them now his heads been turned and they would be getting a very fair deal. I accepted we'd be massively overpaying for Harry but £90M is too far. If they won't budge we should move on to Plan B presuming we have one :wenger: There were quite credible links to Milenkovic and Issa Diop. Perhaps they're the alternatives?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Harry needs to push for the move more on his end if he really wants the transfer.

If that means handing in a transfer request and giving up his loyalty bonus, then so be it. That’s easy for me to say though I guess!

Perhaps another reason he hasn’t handed in a transfer request is because he is confident he will still get the move anyway.

Bestietom

Leicester don't want to sell and don't have to sell. They will keep putting price up now.
We play AC Milan on Saturday, maybe we could talk Romagnoli into signing. He's a strong CB with good skill and reads the game well. Only turned 24, left footed, good passer, and can come out with the ball

DickDastardly

It's all getting a bit annoying isn't it.

Somehow, i think he'll stay, get injured in the first ten games and then we'll be bumping this thread laughing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Have this feeling that while Ed drags his feet about Maguire, $hitty sells Sane and buys Maguire infront of our faces.
As if City are going to drop £80m on a defender.

Maccus21

Big if, but if we get Bruno and Dybala - they will give us more going forward (hopefully), so maybe opponents may be less adventurous against us - meaning our defence may get an easier time and we can also give Alex some minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

dogwithabone

It’s clever negotiating by us on a few fronts. Time running out, the player will be now be getting very edgy and there’d be major doubts from a Leicester perspective that his head would be right if this doesn’t happen. Time running out too for Leicester to replace him The fee eclipses VVD, who is probably the better player, so they can’t quibble about that. Putting a Monday deadline on it puts the focus very much back on Leicester and Maguire to sort this out.

AltiUn

Well it was reported that they also bid £70m for Maguire when we bid for him. Was english media i think that reported it.
Pretty sure they bid £60m and then never bothered doing so again due to Leicester's asking price.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Maguire or nobody.
Forget the fee - if you would genuinely rather Smalling/Jones/Lindelöf for this season than breaking the bank for Maguire, you deserve the misery to come.

Look, I'd rather us have looked elsewhere and actually had scouts doing their job. We seemingly are incapable of that. I am tired of our CBs letting us down every season - I think this will happen at the last minute and I'll accept it as necessary and vital to the season ahead.
I'm reluctantly coming around to this way of thinking. Absolutely terrible planning by the club. I don't think he's particularly good but if he comes in and tightens up the defence to the point we get to 4, leading to us getting some genuinely top class players next summer (Eriksen and Sancho perhaps), I won't be complaining too much, I guess.

Josep Dowling

When your clubs starts doing that you're more likely for a relegation battle than pushing for Europe. The only reason Leicester are doing well now is because they are targeting talented youngsters. If sold you make decent profits which can be added to the transfer budget. I'm not trying to patronise you as a Leicester fan but surely you must know the football pyramid, players want to move to the best clubs in the world to win trophies. Leicester aren't one of those clubs so unless you get a Man City situation your current position is probably about as good as it will ever get.

Hammondo

I do not know why anyone believes these tweets when they are clearly bullshit.
utdxtra literally looks like they will post any made up crap.

AltiUn

Okay, i thought it was 70m.But nonetheless when Ed and his pal Matt are slower than Lukaku at the buffet table, they leave the door open for other clubs to steal players.
We can be slow I just don’t see City paying the astronomical price being touted.

Eric's Seagull

Harry needs to push for the move more on his end if he really wants the transfer.

If that means handing in a transfer request and giving up his loyalty bonus, then so be it. That’s easy for me to say though I guess!

Perhaps another reason he hasn’t handed in a transfer request is because he is confident he will still get the move anyway.
Perhaps the reason he hasn't handed in a transfer request is that the transfer may not go through anyway and he wouldn't want to upset the Leicester fans if he is still playing there this season.

romufc

Whats gonna happen is we sign no one new before the window shuts and sell Pogba :lol:
I wouldn't be surprised. I can see this happening.

Negative transfer spend - what an achievement by the biggest club in need for a major rebuild!

Status
Not open for further replies.