Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think he’s the best defender we could have bought. Don’t get what everyone sees in Koulibaly and he would have cost us more.

Maguire is one of the best ball playing defenders in the league and is arguably the best header of the ball in the whole of the Premiership, defender or attacker. He’s a leader, he’s a good age, he’s home grown and he has scope to improve. Quality
Am very happy are have gotten him. Ticks many boxes, especially as a genuine leader and with passing capability. Plus he's hard as nails and can hit the ground running.

Koulibaly is older and would take time to adjust. DeLigt still raw potential with much development ahead.

meamth

...and then you realized that man utd transfer announcements usually takes at least another 24-48 hours after the signing.

C*cks down lads.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well it’s clear Ed is willing to go through a wall head first for Ole. All excuses end here...

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Everyone is fixated on the fact that Maguire is an improvement over all our CBs. While that is probably true, people are forgetting that he has no European experience. Like, none at all. Even VVD played in the CL for Celtic way back, and that probably helped him in his Southampton days. So the jury is still out for him. Thats why a record fee wasn't the greatest deal, like at all.
Like, right, like. Absolutely, like.

Like.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its a lot of money, but I think we can be very confident that he will settle quickly and perform at least on the same level as he has done for Leicester. Its perhaps worth the premium because it feel like a risk free signing.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Everyone is fixated on the fact that Maguire is an improvement over all our CBs. While that is probably true, people are forgetting that he has no European experience. Like, none at all. Even VVD played in the CL for Celtic way back, and that probably helped him in his Southampton days. So the jury is still out for him. Thats why a record fee wasn't the greatest deal, like at all.
He's a national team player for England, he has international experience and was quite frankly great in the world cup. So there's always that, he's not a total newbie to foreign teams.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Heard this on the radio and thought it was a wind up. Great news, terrific player and seriously improves our options in defence. feck the price tag, it's done now.

BigBebe

Don't want to sound ungrateful but Woody should have done this deal 6 weeks ago.

We could have given him 5 games playing with his new teammates, instead, we could end up with his first game for us being against Chelsea. Justsayin'

mu4c_20le

He's a national team player for England, he has international experience and was quite frankly great in the world cup. So there's always that, he's not a total newbie to foreign teams.
Hopefully it's enough. Because this is the sort of fee you pay to not only get back to the top, but to continue challenging for top honours in the future. He'd better turn out WC

ThinkTank@Cafe

I can’t think of any defender of Maguire’s level And attributes (proven with track record, stats, etc) in the whole world who we can realistically buy THIS window. Unless we want a gamble. I wouldn’t gamble on cornerstone CB. Leicester know that we have to buy a CB this window. Our defense is a mess, its our biggest problem. They have footballing department and they analyze buyers too. Buying a player is very much like buying a company. A lot of research and strategic thinking. Plus City is in the race. Maguire will not come cheap. 80M is a minimum we can hope for.
It was a very difficult transfer. Meanwhile, RedCafe witnessed a Renaissance of Muppetry and Sour Arts. “Stupid poor Man United” and “Tale of Greedy Dumb Ed” being the most favorite plots of the artists.

Lemansky

Superb signing. Our starting 11 is looking very solid now. Imagine Dybala coming in also. Would be a great window.

DiceRoller

I’m not too fussed on the fact we’ve spent the money it’s just the fact we could’ve probably found a better talent for that price that would be a much more obvious upgrade such as Koulibaly or Varane
Never getting Varane as he’s not going to go from Madrid to Utd - currently a step down.
And Koukibaly would cost more than that I feel and unproven in the PL.
I don’t think we’ve done too bad.

reddevil80

Why didn't Ed just get the ky and say ok 5 or 6 weeks ago? Could've had some game time with the rest of the squad. But hey-ho, done now. Pass the medical and get ready to watch our defence tighten up.

MAME DIOUF 32

The game is awash with money and this is how it's going to be now. He improves us, so I'm happy.

Red Rash

Happy that we should have a settled backline with Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire and AWB.

How do people think he will do with Lindelof as a partner?

Also the fee is crazy but I'm glad we have this sorted. He is only 26 so his best days are ahead of him plus he knows the league and has performed consistently

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Pair him with Smalling or Bailly or Axel and this Speed concerns will be addressed.

Lindelof should be his preferred partner but against a pacey front line, these guys can come in.

Very happy with this signing.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Please people never complain about the fee.

You complain we don't sign players, you complain when we say there's no value in the market.

We finally splash out and now you say "OMG TOO EXPENSIVE"

he's a good player. Let's be happy.
He is a good player but you don’t have to pay through the nose for your signings. There is a middle ground, you pay scouts and execs a lot of money to find it.

RedDevilRoshi

Thank God this is all but done now pending a medical!

Very good signing. The sort of CB we have been crying out for. With a backline of DDG; AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw. That is pretty solid and I like that.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Thank God this is all but done now pending a medical!

Very good signing. The sort of CB we have been crying out for. With a backline of DDG; AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw. That is pretty solid and I like that.
I think the onus is on Shaw now to really prove himself this year, he’s a good full back but if he steps it up a notch it’d be the difference between a good back 4 and a great one. If he gets injured though we’re back to Young

Fully Fledged

With Maguire for 80mil and Tuanzebe added to our defence, surely we need to recoup by offloading Darmian, Rojo and Baily. These sales would cover at least 40m. I would rid of one of Smalling/Jones if possible. 5 Cbs will be sufficient.
Baily has just had an opp he won't be back for about 5 months. So he's going nowhere this window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally. Annoying that we wasted having a full pre season to blend him in with the team. Thankfully our CBs and back 4 should be sorted now. Now get Dybala done and itd be a very good window.

tyunited

Leicester fan here.... congratulations on your signing but my god that is a lot of money. The other half of my family are United fans and I have just said to them that I don't think he is as good defensively as people realise. Don't get me wrong, he is fantastic on the ball but he has his flaws.
We have Smalling and Jones to show him the ropes :lol:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Great signing!

Nothing to complain about, the fee is what it takes to buy England’s best defender from a direct rival.

Finally we have a settled defense who complements each other. Congratulations to all involved. I’m so happy.

The Bloody-Nine

Don't want to sound ungrateful but Woody should have done this deal 6 weeks ago.

We could have given him 5 games playing with his new teammates, instead, we could end up with his first game for us being against Chelsea. Justsayin'
He should have done it a year ago, for a lot less, rather than deciding he isn't better than what we already had. Still, guess it's pretty much done now.

Infra-red

Do think we need some pace beside him if we're going to play a pressing game and squeeze a high line. Tuanzabe or Smalling ahead of Lindelof for me.

Has all the other attributes.
Agreed. He's not the best partner for Lindelof - I think we might see them rotating.

GM K

I am absolutely excited about this news! There is no doubt our defence has massively improved.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Who watched Maguire last season and believed he was worth £80m or is one of the best defenders in the world?

I have to be honest, I taught he was decent/good defender similar to Smalling, but never world class. I was even glad that City might be after him.

For some strange reason, that perspective has changed and I feel that he will become a top defender at United. Maybe because he is being supported by better players, but regardless his addition has given us the strongest “defensive” unit in the league.

Ace of Spades

Seems mad money, but we needed a CB. Hope we now start clearing up the deadwood like Rojo, Baily and Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.