Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’ll improve your lot no doubt. But feck me, what a fee. I think there are probably 10 better CBs playing in Europe attainable for half that price.

I hope all the posters criticizing the VVD fee are behaving the same way right now.
Name them because that is bollocks

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Everybody who is saying “he wanted to join us or he wanted to come here” when exactly did he come out and say it?

matt10000

Yeah, I refuse to believe there aren't better players out there who could have been got for significantly cheaper. Is being EPL proven really worth an additional £30m? I'm not so sure.
Yeah but if this is a success I can see him staying for the beat part of his career whereas if we bought someone from outside epl there is the risk they wont adapt and the risk that if they do adapt and become a superstar they want Real, Barca etc....so paying for minimising risks and consistency. If we were at the top the risks may be worth taking but we are trying to build abd need consistency

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He’ll improve your lot no doubt. But feck me, what a fee. I think there are probably 10 better CBs playing in Europe attainable for half that price.

I hope all the posters criticizing the VVD fee are behaving the same way right now.
That is literally what everyone was saying when you bought VVD, that worked out for you didn't it ? Lets wait to see how this works out before all this bollocks.

DBT85

pick the right stats and anything is possible.

We needed a CB that could just drop in and wouldn't need time to get used to the league. The joke is that they didn't do this last fecking year.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think he has similarities to Gary Cahill as a player and if he stays healthy can have a similar career. That's not a bad thing at all. But if United does end up getting back to the top of the pile in the league and CL I bet its partly because you've found a partner that is better than him, not with Maguire as your best CB.

Eddy_JukeZ

Everybody who is saying “he wanted to join us or he wanted to come here” when exactly did he come out and say it?
Briefed by the press.

He wasn't going to come out and say it. Press said he's been respectable to Leicester all along, despite making it known to them he'd like to join us.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Yeah it's expensive but who cares its not like we cant afford it. He will improve our defense and I am far more bothered about that than how much we paid for him.

MattyB1986

Not too fussed about the fee, we've needed a cb for a few seasons. Should have bought him last year. With AWB and hopefully now Maquire our back 5 will look a lot stronger. That's the main thing to me. Money is obscene in football these days, everyone knows that.

Gerald G

While we paid £20m over what we should have, please name these CBs

DSG

80m. Had to do it really. Okay, so world record for a CB, but clearly, he’s not the best CB in the PL, much less the world. Starting back line v Chelsea?

AWB Lindelof / Smalling Maguire Shaw

MrBest

Excitement comes from attack, we have the same players at the front this year. For now.
Fair point but i think with bruno it will be enough to get fourth. I am really excited to see greenwood gomes and Chong get more minutes and if dybala comes in, there minutes will be reduced. The main signing is a leader from the back and hopefully this gives a boost to the rest of the team and allows us to play more creatively from the front.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
80m. Had to do it really. Okay, so world record for a CB, but clearly, he’s not the best CB in the PL, much less the world. Starting back line v Chelsea?

Lindelof over Smalling any day of the week.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

You will know as well as anyone that VVD has improved your team by more than just his personal ability? Liverpool are a MUCH better team because (1) he's good (2) he organises the defence and (3) it gives your team (FBs as well as forwards) a more stable footing to attack from.

Some players (usually CHs, CMs or a personable 'leader') do that to a team... Liverpool aren't just better by the level of VVDs defending in the same way United weren't just better by the level of Robson or Keane. They play well, they lead, they organise, they inspire.

There's no guarantee that Maguire will do that but I honestly think he will be a very good addition and (along with Wan Bissaka) gives us a much better defence (that can't be hard?!) and allow other players to focus on attacks, assists, goals.

Is he worth £80m? No idea. (I didn't think VVD was worth £75m... I was wrong)

Would I have paid it if it was my decision? Yes... ability, age, PL experience, international experience, British (no worries about fitting in/lifestyle). Plus Leicester had a lot of the cards and the market has risen dramatically.

I think we can definitely get third and hopefully be more of a challenge to the top two. We get a top DM, we're very close (though CF/goals will depend on how Rashford, Martial, Greenwood develop/kick on and that's unknown yet).

(PS. Are there ten better defenders for half the fee? Not a chance ... and you know it? :):nono:, you little tinker you)

(Watch the Zagadou game v Bayern. Yowsers!!)

Ander herrera the warrior

To those moaning about the fees, do you all think it's anywhere close to the amount we paid for Rio Ferdinand in 2002? I know he is not Rio, but look at it this way. We paid 30 million pounds in 2002, the same year, Real Madrid paid a similar amount or slightly higher than 30 million pounds for Brazilian Ronaldo who just won the 2002 world cup with Brazil.

MrBest

Remove smalling and you have a solid back 4. I would also put Maguire in the top 5 centre backs in the league, especially based on last year and the world cup.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Posters that criticised the VVD fee would surely have learnt a lesson by now. We'll only find out based on how he performs for us.
That’s fair yes. I am quite sure he will not reach the Van Dijk level at United as I think he’s just a very good defender with only his ability on the ball as a difference between him and quite a few others at midtable teams, but I do agree that he’ll immediately improve your defence and that’s what you needed. Still though, €93m...

Flexdegea

That’s fair yes. I am quite sure he will not reach the Van Dijk level at United as I think he’s just a very good defender with only his ability on the ball as a difference between him and quite a few others at midtable teams, but I do agree that he’ll immediately improve your defence and that’s what you needed. Still though, €93m...

Why are you writing euros and why are you getting on like the money is an issue........it ain't yours or mine........they can afford it :)

DSG

While we paid £20m over what we should have, please name these CBs
Ramos
Varane
Marquinhos
Chiellini
Koulibaly
VVD
Gimenez
Umtiti (fully fit)
De Ligt
Bonucci
LaPorte

I like my defenders with a streak of nasty, so I tend to lean that way.

Still, a pretty good buy considering most of these guys weren’t available.

Varun

Staff

Do name them

SAFMUTD

Less likely to wanna move abroad
Still if Madrid or Barca come calling for him I think it wouldn’t make a difference, those clubs seem to attract any kind of player, even germans that are deeply in love with bayern.

Status
Not open for further replies.