Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRedDevil

Are all the little Leicester fans still hanging around or? Dragging this out for many weeks to then give in and settle for £80m must be deflating. 6 days left for you to find a replacement. Tick tock. £50m should get you Dunk.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Upamecano is not available, and he certainly wouldn't be cheaper. Zagadou is not good enough, he gets killed in every big game (Bayern ripped him to shreds this spring). I like Akanji, but again, not that level yet and probably also not available.
If the money is no problem and he improves your team, it’s a good deal for you guys.

Will Singh

He’ll improve your lot no doubt. But feck me, what a fee. I think there are probably 10 better CBs playing in Europe attainable for half that price.

I hope all the posters criticizing the VVD fee are behaving the same way right now.
10 better CB's at £40m!!! Please enlighten us.

KennyBurner

Welcome to the club Harry Maguire. Very happy with this transfer but the price was a lot. Hope this doesn't affect us bringing any additional players this window. We also have to offload a defender or 2. Im thinking Jones or Rojo. Rojo still has some use as he could play as backup to Shaw/young so Im guessing we sell Jones this window. he also has more value than Rojo to any potential english teams.

With the size of this transfer we have no more excuses in regards to our defense. We have bought him as starting material and not one for the future. 200 million on our defense alone.

Nico87

If Leicester do buy Dunk for £45 million after they have give Hull their cut of this £80 million, how much profit will they have actually made?. I don’t think this deal will work out as lucrative as some of their fans would like to imagine.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’m not a professional scout mate. But it seems to me you went after the most obvious target and got rinsed by Leicester.

Upamecano, Zagadou, Akanji, on the top off my head and that’s Germany alone. I refuse to believe there isn’t Maguire type of talent out there (which is, let’s be real, a tier below world class).
look at Mangala et al. Highly rated means feck all until you’re in the premier league getting drilled.

Maguire is a proven PL player that fits Ole’s profile.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I’m not a professional scout mate. But it seems to me you went after the most obvious target and got rinsed by Leicester.

Upamecano, Zagadou, Akanji, on the top off my head and that’s Germany alone. I refuse to believe there isn’t Maguire type of talent out there (which is, let’s be real, a tier below world class).
It's hard to see any of those hitting the ground running in the PL straight away.

Upamecano for example has only played 88 games at club level. Maguire has played over 300 games and gone to a world cup.

We are signing Maguire to make an instant impact.

We are hoping he will be the experienced CB we are missing. We can then sign one of these young CBs and bring them into the team gradually without the pressure of being the "leader" we need from day one.

Smalling,Rojo, Jones,Bailly are on borrowed time.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Ridiculous fee. But we really, really needed something done in the CB department so it might actually not be the worst deal we'll ever make.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
Due to his price tag he will be constantly compared to Van Djik. And he is nowhere near as good as Van Djik.

IrishRedDevil

If Leicester do buy Dunk for £45 million after they have give Hull their cut of this £80 million, how much profit will they have actually made?. I don’t think this deal will work out as lucrative as some of their fans would like to imagine.
Maguire cost them £20m and if Dunk or replacement costs £45m, that’s a total outlay of £65m with £80m incoming. £15m profit.

TheLittleOne

Shocking fee for Maguire. He is a decent defender but my god is that an over payment. You can find defenders of that quality for 40-50 million across Europe.
Maybe, but maybe they wouldn't come for the right reasons and would be off if things get difficult? I can see Maguire finish his career here if things go right and i don't mean due to injury. We'll see.I think its a very good deal all things considered.

Will Singh

Bottom line is he wanted to come to United and conducted himself in a professional manner, what more can you ask for? The fee I'm blaming Woody he gave it the Billy big bollox a few years ago with he's quote about "we can do things in the transfer window other clubs can only dream about"

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He’ll improve your lot no doubt. But feck me, what a fee. I think there are probably 10 better CBs playing in Europe attainable for half that price.

I hope all the posters criticizing the VVD fee are behaving the same way right now.
Posters that criticised the VVD fee would surely have learnt a lesson by now. We'll only find out based on how he performs for us.

TheLittleOne

Bottom line is he wanted to come to United and conducted himself in a professional manner, what more can you ask for? The fee I'm blaming Woody he gave it the Billy big bollox a few years ago with he's quote about "we can do things in the transfer window other clubs can only dream about"
how? even without that quote its not a well kept secret that united is one of the very richest club. This is just stating the obvious... (cant reply max 3 post)

Adnandos

What happens if we play Maguire and Tuanzebe together to cover eachothers weakness and have Lindelöf at DM alongside McSauce and Pogba :smirk:

lex talionis

Only time will prove whether this is the right move, but based on what we know Maguire is a great addition to the squad. We all know we needed an upgrade at CB and we picked up a significant upgrade who wanted the join the club.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Agreed.

But also post Neymar the market has gone crazy.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Upamecano for example has only played 88 games at club level. Maguire has played over 300 games and gone to a world cup.
To be fair, Maguire is what, 26? He's only just become an International and has like 20 odd caps for England. That's hardly experienced. It's not like he's some young player thats been involved with the England squad and amassed 40/50 caps.

Do agree with your general point though, we've signed him to make an immediate impact and not require a settling in period which other players from abroad may require. But lets not pretend he's some experienced international, he's only played 90minutes in the Europa League for example and has never been at a top club. We have no idea how he'll handle a high pressure environment.

RedRoach

Who gives a toss about the money. The team was seriously deficient last year in two key areas: defense and more importantly IMO lack of leaders who are were willing to step up and lift those around them.

This second point is more critical for me. There may have been cheaper and possibly better defenders around but the team lacks british leaders that all of United’s past league winning teams have had.

This lad has personality which he has demonstrated time and again for England and Leceister. We need players with balls and he at least has a pair which you can’t say of many of the existing personalities in the dressing room.

The defense and the team has just received a serious upgrade. We should all be bloody delighted. I certainly am!

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If you’re 80m desperate for a CB why would you a) give a shit one at the club a raise? b) not be desperate to sell the shit ones we have?

You can try and make an argument that we’d rather buy before we sell but Ed is clearly not following that logic with Lukaku - or at least he wasn’t until Juve decided to save his ass

Fer

And so we finally acquire Maguire!

Great. On to Bruno and Dybala.
That would be a great transfer window. Although we didn't sign any of my dream transfers (De Ligt, Sancho, Felix, etc). I hope we can sign Dybala, he could be important to attract top players in the next transfer window.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Yeah, I refuse to believe there aren't better players out there who could have been got for significantly cheaper. Is being EPL proven really worth an additional £30m? I'm not so sure.

LJJT

Don’t care about the fee, if we don’t but players with it it just lines others pockets. improves our defence greatly so more than happy with this. Getting a good starting 11 together now

davidmichael

Personally I’m delighted this is now seemingly done, I’d also make Maguire our captain as he’s a natural leader and a guaranteed starter as well as the fact there’s no other standout candidate.

Irwin99

Finally!!!! Let's hope he adapts quickly and we partner him with Lindelof .

Hughie77

If he comes, looks like it now? He's better than we got, it's big money, it's the market now. I think he will give us more confidence to our midfield, and front men.

Oles seems to want us to keep the ball more, press more, that has to be a plus with better CB. Shaw , lindelof, Maguire, awb, not a bad back 4.

Gordon S

We needed a cb with some experience, composure, at least a hint of leadership and ability to organize a defence.
A cb that is comfortable playing on the left side of defence, has decent passing up the field, strong in the air.
Maguire seems hugely underwhelming for that price but it is hard to find another cb that ticks all the boxes like he does.

There are a bunch of young interesting cb's around, like the ones you mentioned, but they need more time to develop. Most of them are still very raw. We needed a player that can be first choice cb right from start.

Rista

Absolutely ridiculous fee. But if he's the right player then it needed to be done. We're not getting back to top by hunting for bargains and top 4 is a must this season.

MiceOnMeth

PROS:
Immediately improves us
Young
British
Wanted to join us
Wont try to leave for Real

Whatever about the fee, this is a top signing.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah, I refuse to believe there aren't better players out there who could have been got for significantly cheaper. Is being EPL proven really worth an additional £30m? I'm not so sure.
We bought Lindelof as a cheaper, non EPL proven CB (at a time when we could have bought Maguire for £16m) and he was a disaster in his first season and still only average at best now. There will be bargains out there somewhere but our scouts have shown they can't spot them.

montpelier

£ 85M & 16 pages, :lol:.

I hope I'm one of ones who is keeping quiet about being wrong in a couple of years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.