Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alek M

Da manic one
This position has needed the most to be filed in this summer. Wish we got him last year, but maybe that would have meant Jose to still be around.

Don't care about the fee. He is proven player, yhe stability in the back is the most vital for our rebuild.

Get in!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Imagine being pissed because United have bought your CB for 80m :lol:

Despite United’s current decline every player outside of the top six would still be gagging to join them.

I think he's a United fan!

Which makes his meltdown even more bizarre.

mu4c_20le

Good bit of business. People laughed at the fee Liverpool paid for Van Dijk as well until the collective balance and lift he gave the entire squad with his presence, leadership and aerial dominance. Maguire won't be the same level of an athlete as Van Dijk but he adds up to another core player in a position of need.
One of the main reasons we laughed was because VVD originally cost 50-60m, but SOuthampton caught them tapping up their player so the scousers for forced to pay extra. In the end it still paid off, but it also had a nasty knock on effect for future transfers, like ours.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dybala and Longstaff and the squad is gonna look strong and balanced with only a RW missing.

MalcolmTucker

I think his immediate partner will be Smalling tbh. Smalling is rapid, which is Maguire's Achilles heel. He's also been at OT for a long time which will give time for Maguire to settle down.
You're wrong, it will definitely be Lindelof. Ole wants us to build from the back and Smalling is the worse of all of our defenders in that aspect.

GazTheLegend

It's similar to the AWB transfer. You have paid well over the odds, but he is miles better than any of your current options.

If the Lukaku Dybala swap comes off then you've actually had a really good window.
It’s a lot of money and people will take the piss but it’s probably the best window we’ve had for a while.., us signing players that actually want to play for us and improve us straight away is rare, without there being somewhat of a gamble.

I dunno what other Liverpool fans will think, whether they’ll laugh at it or secretly applaud it... hard to say.

SirAF

Ageist
You're wrong, it will definitely be Lindelof. Ole wants us to build from the back and Smalling is the worse of all of our defenders in that aspect.
Yeah, it will defintely be Lindelof. I think that’s obvious from pre-season so far.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lindelof can play as RCB where he looks more comfortable.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We'll wait and see. Maguire seem to be an upgrade on Lindelof. They are both comfortable with the ball with Maguire being physically stronger, better in air and a better leader. They also share the same weakness ie lack of pace. If we play a trio of Maguire-Lindelof-Matic then pace will be a concern.

Smalling provides good aerial dominance + pace. A duo Maguire-Smalling will be lethal at corners.

Bobski

Hope I am wrong about him. Fun player to watch but I don't think he is at all proven as a defender.

Utd have to defend better as a team though, expecting one player to make a huge difference is foolish. VVD gets a lot of credit, rightly so, but their improvement coincided with a massively improved keeper, losing a flawed Lovren and marked improvement at full back. Utd need the same, still an insane price.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hope I am wrong about him. Fun player to watch but I don't think he is at all proven as a defender.

Utd have to defend better as a team though, expecting one player to make a huge difference is foolish. VVD gets a lot of credit, rightly so, but their improvement coincided with a massively improved keeper, losing a flawed Lovren and marked improvement at full back. Utd need the same, still an insane price.
That's what United did by also buying AWB. He's possibly one of the best 5 defensive fbs in the world and a clear upgrade on Young, Dalot & Valencia. We're also recalling Tuanzebe.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Well done to the club for making the most absurd transfer of all times to happen. Harry fecking Maguire becoming the most expensive defender ever for nearly 100 million euros. What a fecking joke :lol: It's even stupider than Carroll to Liverpool, Higuain to Juve or any other deal. We're about to become the laughing stock of the football world offically. Well done really.

And when you think that last year Ed refused to give the manager the funds to sign him (for far less) or any other defender which disrupted our season before it's even started and we have 6 CBs now that makes things even more absurd and stupid. So Ed admits he made a mistake by that or what? Feckin idiot.

Also, thought Ole knows the profile of a Man United player with keeping the likes of Fellaini, Lukaku etc. out of his selections but turns out he doesn't care about the balance of the squad or know what he wants to do with the players he's got. Good luck playing a high pressing system with Maguire & Lindelöf pairing. He tries to copy Sir Alex but we never made such a stupid deal under Fergie. I swear all Man Utd managers after Sir Alex have an agreement to make it hard for fans to support them.

We all said since he took the job we needed a big summer but what an underwhelming window this has been. Still glaring weaknesses in this squad and we're wasting our money on ridiculously overpriced players.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The football world new our desperation. The fee is what it is! The transfer fee had to be paid. Hopefully, this signing together with WB improves the backline. I still think more than our obvious lack of quality at the back last season we desperately need an agile (Matic is fine on the ball but his powers have waned) defensive midfielder.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Why the feck is he called Foxtrot then? I thought he was part of the recent Leicester influx :lol:
Yeah the name threw me a little. But going by his other posts he seems to be a United fan.

Why he would post something like that after we just massively upgraded our defence i have no idea. The price is irrelevant to fans (at least it should be). Only thing that should concern fans is whether he's an upgrade. Which he categorically is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just endured durham on talk sport. Apparently maguire is making a sidewards step.

Just :lol::lol::lol:

Our worst season since moyes still 14 points ahead of them "on the up".
What a wum

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
So Lindelof and the big man Harry Maguire at the back with AWB and Shaw. All of a sudden, we look extremely strong in those areas. Having Smalling, Jones Tuenzebe as back up is not as bad as people are making it out to be. I’m delighted we got this done. Now I’m praying Leicester are forced to spend 50m+ on his replacement for being such mugs with us. Weird how he was announced before they had a replacement in. Doesn’t make sense to me but I’m not complaining.

As each day passes I feel like we actually need to sign someone like Longstaff along with either Fernandes or Dybala.

One can dream.

roonster09

Scout
And that's a back 4 who is seriously comfortable playing out from the back.
Yeah. Now back 4 looks good. Also Maguire is very good that from set pieces. He is good in both boxes.

Rocknrolla69er

I never saw Pallister.

But Blanc had a rough time. You could clearly see he was over the hill.

He was slower than Maguire but did just fine, good positional play and under estimated recovery made up for lack of pace

I expect and have seen Maguire to cope very similarly

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah. Now back 4 looks good. Also Maguire is very good that from set pieces. He is good in both boxes.
That's just it. He might not be worth £80mil, but he fits the profile of CB Ole wants and we need. We need someone to compliment the other 3 and he does that perfectly.

Sparky Rhiwabon

How ? Why ? Where's the logic in any of this ?
No reason the price should have been more at the start of the window. Possibly a touch less as Leicester would have had more time to source a replacement. But I certainly can't see it would have cost us any more and then he could have gelled with the team on tour.

SirAF

Ageist
Yeah the name threw me a little. But going by his other posts he seems to be a United fan.

Why he would post something like that after we just massively upgraded our defence i have no idea. The price is irrelevant to fans (at least it should be). Only thing that should concern fans is whether he's an upgrade. Which he categorically is.
Absolutely. I’ve been critical of United’s dealings but this was an important one to get over the line. As long as the fee doesn’t rule out other signings it is completely irrelevant.

Kearnkoff69

Our defense has improved drastically over the last couple of years. A healthy Shaw, Maguire, Lindelöf, and AWB is so superior to the old days of Young-Smalling-Jones-Valencia it's shocking to think we used to line up like that on a regular basis. If we can pull of a deal for Bruno or(/and?) Dybala, we will have strengthened quite significantly throughout the team this summer.

Ranchero

That's just it. He might not be worth £80mil, but he fits the profile of CB Ole wants and we need. We need someone to compliment the other 3 and he does that perfectly.
At long last. Now let's get Fernandes. We desperately need quality in midfield.

Robertd0803

Enjoying watching Sky Sports News. Also watching SSN for the first time in years.

Also scary that Rio and Vidic were his childhood heroes. Im getting old.

Classical Mechanic

When you factor in Ronaldo’s wages that transfer is something like £270m. If you guess Maguire will earn, let’s say, £250k a week, then you’re looking at £140m with Maguire’s contract being a year longer than Ronaldo’s as well. Not to mention Ronaldo signed for them aged 33.

So Ronaldo is about £67.5m a year and Maguire is about £28m a year, meaning that a 33 year old Ronaldo is about 2.5 times more expensive to employ than a 25 year old Maguire.

GoldanoGraham

Well done to the club for making the most absurd transfer of all times to happen. Harry fecking Maguire becoming the most expensive defender ever for nearly 100 million euros. What a fecking joke :lol: It's even stupider than Carroll to Liverpool, Higuain to Juve or any other deal. We're about to become the laughing stock of the football world offically. Well done really.

And when you think that last year Ed refused to give the manager the funds to sign him (for far less) or any other defender which disrupted our season before it's even started and we have 6 CBs now that makes things even more absurd and stupid. So Ed admits he made a mistake by that or what? Feckin idiot.

Also, thought Ole knows the profile of a Man United player with keeping the likes of Fellaini, Lukaku etc. out of his selections but turns out he doesn't care about the balance of the squad or know what he wants to do with the players he's got. Good luck playing a high pressing system with Maguire & Lindelöf pairing. He tries to copy Sir Alex but we never made such a stupid deal under Fergie. I swear all Man Utd managers after Sir Alex have an agreement to make it hard for fans to support them.

We all said since he took the job we needed a big summer but what an underwhelming window this has been. Still glaring weaknesses in this squad and we're wasting our money on ridiculously overpriced players.
Whoever we signed was going to cost a lot. That said there are certain factors that make this a good signing:

1. He can head the ball well
2. He can play out from the back
3. He wants to come
4. He is a Utd fan
5. He is a natural leader
6. He looks like he gives a shit
7. He won’t down tools and sulk
8. He won’t disappear as soon as we get a frost
9. He won’t wear gloves in the winter
10. He doesn’t need to acclimatise

It’s a lot of dough but I’m really pleased that this saga has finally come to a head although why it wasn’t sorted 3 weeks ago is beyond me

Reactions: roonster09

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think his immediate partner will be Smalling tbh. Smalling is rapid, which is Maguire's Achilles heel. He's also been at OT for a long time which will give time for Maguire to settle down.
Probably the strongest arial partnership we’ve had since Rio and Vidic.

Rocknrolla69er

Youl find Fergie pushed for us to sign Maguire hahahahahaha

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Great signing. You guys have a very nice back four that should provide a solid foundation to grow the team around. If you manage to get Dybala and Fernandes or Milinkovic-Savic I can see a big improvement in the next season.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Youl find Fergie pushed for us to sign Maguire hahahahahaha
He also signed Bebe when he was manager. He isn’t some God. He is human and is capable of mistakes. Also you ll find most people aren’t against the idea of signing of Maguire. It’s signing him for the world record fee that’s the issue.

roonster09

Scout
According to BBC and times fee is 80 million. Also times reported the initial asking fee was 95 million. Ducker, Percy also reported the asking fee was 90 million plus. So at least it's not waste of time.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good signing, and should make our defence a lot better, and hopefully will pop up with three or four goals from set pieces. Overpriced, but then again, looking at the fees that some clubs are wanting for their players, it's not outlandish. Wan Bissaka could be a steal at the end of the day. Looking for a CM now, in my opinion, someone like Matuidi would fit the bill for a couple of seasons until Garner and hopefully a couple of others from the academy, will be knocking on the CM door.

SirAF

Ageist
Whoever we signed was going to cost a lot. That said there are certain factors that make this a good signing:

1. He can head the ball well
2. He can play out from the back
3. He wants to come
4. He is a Utd fan
5. He is a natural leader
6. He looks like he gives a shit
7. He won’t down tools and sulk
8. He won’t disappear as soon as we get a frost
9. He won’t wear gloves in the winter
10. He doesn’t need to acclimatise

It’s a lot of dough but I’m really pleased that this saga has finally come to a head although why it wasn’t sorted 3 weeks ago is beyond me
Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.