Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we spent the last 4 weeks negotiating it down to £80m from £95m.

There was plenty in here who just wanted us to stump up what Leicester wanted to get it done. £15m is no chump change and it just goes to show how clueless a lot of people are when it comes to both transfers and basic finance in general.
Indeed, this is where ‘fans’ have zero patience. Just get them in, pay whatever they want. Idiots.

We can never be certain clearly, but there’s a good chance that Palace asked for £60m for AWB and Leicester asked for £95m for Maguire. Utd have negotiated potentially £25-30m off what the other clubs wanted.

ReallyUSA

There was plenty in here who just wanted us to stump up what Leicester wanted to get it done. £15m is no chump change and it just goes to show how clueless a lot of people are when it comes to both transfers and basic finance in general.
Bailly went out for 5 months that's what happened.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bailly went out for 5 months that's what happened.
Oh right, well thats very gracious of Leicester to use that as a reason to reduce their asking price by £15m.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Exactly. It also sets bad precedent if we keep paying whatever is the initial price.

If club fails to sign the player after prolonged discussion then it's a problem as club could have walked away and move on to next targets, but if they are successful in signing the player then it's all good.

Anyways now only thing that matters is, finally we have dominant CB who is very good ball player and carry the ball. So we have addressed 2 weak positions with one of the best in the league.

Adamsk7

I actually detest the name Koulibaly now because it seems to be used constantly to make derisory remarks about our player or to make that person seem ITK about “good” defenders around Europe.

I guarantee that most of you have barely watched him play - he’s not very good. Reminds me of Bailly in fact and think he’d get found out in our league.

Rolaholic

I actually detest the name Koulibaly now because it seems to be used constantly to make derisory remarks about our player or to make that person seem ITK about “good” defenders around Europe.

I guarantee that most of you have barely watched him play - he’s not very good. Reminds me of Bailly in fact and think he’d get found out in our league.
Some strange logic there...

Him and Bailly have completely different profiles as players,comparison is beyond lazy

JK-27

So we wanted him last summer but at that time Woodward blocked the move because he believed Maguire was too expensive at £70million/not better than the defenders we had, and wanted Varane instead.

A year later we're paying a word record transfer fee for the very same defender? Shows how clueless Woodward is. WOODWARD OUT.

Ekeke

So we wanted him last summer but at that time Woodward blocked the move because he believed Maguire was too expensive at £70million/not better than the defenders we had, and wanted Varane instead.

A year later we're paying a word record transfer fee for the very same defender? Shows how clueless Woodward is. WOODWARD OUT.
That doesnt mean he was wrong last time. Although Varane had a stinker last year so I guess its also hard to be right

Chillosophy

Is this the 3rd or 4th time you are posting this exact thing in different threads? :lol:

Dante

Average bang
He's had a bit of a preseason for Leicester, but obviously not had a chance to strike up a partnership with any United defenders. I expect him to make mistakes in his first few games because of that. I also expect him to get pelters for it, and his performance thread to be full of "I told you so" type posts.

He'll be a top defender for United by the end of the season, though.

AJ Bullet

He's had a bit of a preseason for Leicester, but obviously not had a chance to strike up a partnership with any United defenders. I expect him to make mistakes in his first few games because of that. I also expect him to get pelters for it, and his performance thread to be full of "I told you so" type posts.

He'll be a top defender for United by the end of the season, though.
Exactly, we have half a new back line this year with AWB as well, there's bound to be teething problems, Lindelof needed Matic to hold his hand in the early days to get through games and he has at least improved this season, at least Maguire and AWB wont need time to adapt to the league though so thats a big bonus. Remains to be seen who his main partner will be yet as well so that will take sometime too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It’s funny when people look at things that way. If Leicester price Maguire at 200m and we managed to convince them to sell us at 100m, is it deal of the century then?

Havak

Pokemon master
I've been one of the biggest critics of the deal, but with money it's just a matter of clubs will pay what they want and clubs will charge what they want. If a club pays it, they probably think the player is worth it.

We've got him now, so regardless of what you think his overall ability is, you just have to get behind the lad and team now. No sense in anyone eagle-eyeing him for mistakes and 'worth' right way just to give it the old 'I told you so'. If he's rubbish and continues to be rubbish over about 18 months then fair enough, but hopefully he is that step up we need and he continues to improve.

CM

Absolutely mental amount of money for a player who I think still has flaws in his game but this is the precedent that was set by Liverpool when they signed van Dijk.

I don't see Maguire as the solution to our defensive problems but he ticks a few boxes - plays in the left channel, aerially dominant, can play a bit on the ball and clearly a player who the manager rates. If nothing else, it gives us the opportunity of having a settled back 4 for the first time in however many years, though it's still a pretty fecking massive premium to pay for that luxury.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s funny when people look at things that way. If Leicester price Maguire at 200m and we managed to convince them to sell us at 100m, is it deal of the century then?
The point of the post has gone completely over your head apparently. To reshape it to your scenario, there is plenty of people on here that would have been telling wOoDWarD to get on with it and just pay the £200m asking price so he can have a couple of pre-season games under his belt when 4 weeks later we could have saved ourselves £100m.

Smores

We just using trash paper numbers to have a go at people now? Plucked 95m out of your arse really.

It was nearly always 80mil reported and that's what we got him for, there's no negotiated lesser fee here.

Eric's Seagull

Where did you get the £95m quote from please? I would generally prefer doing transfer dealings at the beginning of the window than at the end of the window as clubs can ask even stupider fees as they know we are desperate.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The point of the post has gone completely over your head apparently. To reshape it to your scenario, there is plenty of people on here that would have been telling wOoDWarD to get on with it and just pay the £200m asking price so he can have a couple of pre-season games under his belt when 4 weeks later we could have saved ourselves £100m.
We are not going to buy Maguire at Leicester asking price anyway, if the price is at 90m or 95m or 200m. At the end of day, we've paid 80m, its way overpriced and I don't think anyone can argue against that. But just that its the price we can still afford, because we are so fecking rich, so that's ok.

Andersons Dietician

Where did you get the £95m quote from please? I would generally prefer doing transfer dealings at the beginning of the window than at the end of the window as clubs can ask even stupider fees as they know we are desperate.
It’s been in the papers, it’s been reported on Sky most of this week and last, that the magic number they wanted was 95mil.

WireMUFC

Buzzing with this me! Maguire is quality. He will change a lot of the moaners minds after a few games.

Cloud7

I’m really glad this is done and settled. I think big Harry is gonna be great for us, and our defense is gonna be much better this season.

BarstoolProphet

Really caught my eye during that three-game run vs. Hull a few seasons ago. He absolutely bullied us back then, but rightfully people were sceptical about his true level because he came out of nowhere. Was a bit hit and miss this past season, but like VVD has the tools and the potential to transform our team by being a rock in defense. Not saying he will have the same impact as VVD, because that has been nothing short of remarkable, but VVD stood out at Soton not because of performances (where he looked lazy and disinterested at times and being prone to costly errors) but because of his attributes.

Mr Smith

It’s been in the papers, it’s been reported on Sky most of this week and last, that the magic number they wanted was 95mil.
The problem with this is that a few weeks before that we were told the magic number was 80 and then 85 mil. I think Leicester have raised the price on us at least once this summer, and I think we should have walked away when they did that.

Not that I'm saying I don't think Maguire is a great signing (I think he is), I'm just worried about the precedent we continue to set letting clubs bully us over prices.

DancingPanda

VVD is the best CB in the world right now, I think everybody can agree with that. Maguire in my opinion is not even on the top 10.

VVD
Ramos
Godin
Chiellini
Koulibally
Thiago Silva
Varane
De Ligt
Lenglet
Laporte
Umtiti
8 out of 10 are among highest ranked CBs on fifa. Just saying.

BarstoolProphet

Most reliable Leicester journo (JPercy?) according to visitors on here said that the club's asking price always been £85m+10m in bonuses I think.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We are not going to buy Maguire at Leicester asking price anyway, if the price is at 90m or 95m or 200m. At the end of day, we've paid 80m, its way overpriced and I don't think anyone can argue against that. But just that its the price we can still afford, because we are so fecking rich, so that's ok.
You've had problems in the last few years with players coming just because of the huge money. Seems like history repeating itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.