Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

Agree with all of your points.

At least name a couple, or perhaps you can’t! It’s ok to go back on your comments...

It’s all good and well saying there are better options out there, but where? Everyone knows Maguire is not a world class player, but he’s available, of the right sort of age, has PL experience, and is looking to step up.

The reality is that the very best players rarely move in their prime. Everyone would be happy to pick up a great CB for £20-40m, but where from?
Why would I need to go back on my comments, it’s just common sense. I can’t say for certain who is better/worse than Maguire just as vice versa you can’t as no guarantee. But you seriously think you can’t find a good CB in the whole of world football for less than 80-90m?.

Anyone who thinks there aren’t other options like Konate, Upamecano, Tah, Milenkovic, Andersen etc etc is out of touch. It’s the exact category Vidic would have been in, the category Diop was in a year ago and Maguire two years ago.

Roboc7

He can't name any man.

He wants a Vidic, which is always a gamble a la Bailly, Rojo, Lindelöf, Blind. Personally I'm sick of these risks and don't want the club to throw our eggs into that basket again, it's been 6 fecking years since we lost Rio and Vidic.
What you want is a VVD and it’s a huge gamble to assume that’s Maguire. How you can assume any transfer is not a gamble let alone Maguire is strange, especially when fee would be highest ever paid for a defender.

I go back to my original point we’re pursuing a player we aren’t prepared to pay a world record fee for which is what he will cost so that should be the end of it.

Last edited:
What you want is a VVD and it’s a huge gamble to assume that’s Maguire. How you can assume any transfer is not a gamble let alone Maguire is strange, especially when fee would be highest ever paid for a defender.
Because Maguire has clearly proven himself to be the best centre half in the Premier League outside of the top 5 teams. He's more more guaranteed and less of a gamble than say Tah or Andersen who would no doubt cost United 45m anyway.

Konate, Upamecano, Tah, Milenkovic, Andersen fall into the cheaper but riskier category, just as Blind, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelöf did. Surely you can see that right?

We went for Vidic when we had a Premier League proven top drawer centre half first and I'm all for us buying Koulibaly, MDL or Maguire and then next year trying to find a Vidic and taking a chance on the kind of names you mentioned. Something I'm not happy about 6 years down the line is us lining us with fecking Smalling and Jones because our new CB turns out to either not be ready, or not good enough. We've been doing that shit for 6 years man, 6 fecking pain staking years.

Roboc7

Because Maguire has clearly proven himself to be the best centre half in the Premier League outside of the top 5 teams. He's more more guaranteed and less of a gamble than say Tah or Andersen who would no doubt cost United 45m anyway.

Konate, Upamecano, Tah, Milenkovic, Andersen fall into the cheaper but riskier category, just as Blind, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelöf did. Surely you can see that right?

We went for Vidic when we had a Premier League proven top drawer centre half first and I'm all for us buying Koulibaly, MDL or Maguire and then next year trying to find a Vidic and taking a chance on the kind of names you mentioned. Something I'm not happy about 6 years down the line is us lining us with fecking Smalling and Jones because our new CB turns out to either not be ready, or not good enough. We've been doing that shit for 6 years man, 6 fecking pain staking years.
Like Lukaku was more of a guarantee but managed more league goals for WBA than he has in either season with us. I think the price really increases the risk, the huge wages and how we intend to play. Maguire in Mourinho’s system made a lot of sense but depends on how Ole will play.

Those are just names, there are plenty all throughout Europe but like I said I’m not saying whose better or worse just there are alternatives. And again my point is the club probably aren’t prepared to pay the price no matter whether you think it’s a good idea or not and that’s what matters so why is he even a target.

We’ve spent huge fees on Pogba, Lukaku, Mata (at the time) and huge outlay on Sanchez and look at what we’ve got for it.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I like Maguire, a clear upgrade, but 80-90 mil? Would Alderweireld be a better option for his release clause of 25mil? Still an upgrade and with the amount of positions we need to splash cash on might be better going for the cheaper option?

Un4givableB

City again has real football knowledge at their club, paying anything over £50m (55m - 60m for us, desperation tax)for Maguire is just plain stupid. As for Premier League experience l would sooner have Alderweireld anyday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maguire might not be as glamorous as other signings, and he'd obviously be massively overpriced, but he's certainly stepped it up a level every time he's moved on.
If he did that here, and added an actual goal threat at corners, for seemingly the first time in years - even when we had a team of tall players, as well as ball playing, then it might work.

But I couldn't see him working with Lindelöf, and we've only just seemed to decide he's first choice!

Infra-red

I like Maguire, a clear upgrade, but 80-90 mil? Would Alderweireld be a better option for his release clause of 25mil? Still an upgrade and with the amount of positions we need to splash cash on might be better going for the cheaper option?
Agreed. Making Maguire the most expensive defender in the history of football, seems pretty absurd, especially when you consider the fact that he's totally unsuited to the style of football Ole professes he wants to play (high pressing).

There are better options.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Rather sign Alderweireld for £25m and give him big wages for 3 years. Then Tuanzebe could be ready to step in. Spending £80m on Maguire would be lunacy.

Agreed. Making Maguire the most expensive defender in the history of football, seems pretty absurd
Well it is, of course, but Felix is going for €120, the football World is fecking absurd.

Maguire, even if made the most expensive defender ever, will be that for a few months, before another side blows it out of the water. That's just the transfer market now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rather sign Alderweireld for £25m and give him big wages for 3 years. Then Tuanzebe could be ready to step in. Spending £80m on Maguire would be lunacy.
You'd potentially get another 4 years of Maguire than Aldy though.
And we've very recently been burnt by players touching 30 dropping level totally, so i'd be very wary of a player moving just for the colossal pay hike.

IrishRedDevil

His lack of pace concerns me, particularly if Matic stays in the team also. That would be two slow players in the heart of the team.

ForestRGoinUp

We couldn’t put him out there with Lindelof surely. Tactics to counter us would be quite simple. Imagine Matic standing in front of those 2. Would have to be the slowest central defense maybe since the 90s.

So more Smalling I suppose.

Kearnkoff69

His lack of pace concerns me, particularly if Matic stays in the team also. That would be two slow players in the heart of the team.
Lack of pace is definitely a red flag, especially if we plan on playing him next to Lindelöf. I can imagine how we could cover for his slowness if we threw a Kante-type defensive mid out there in front of him, though (not saying that we plan on doing that, just thinking about ways it could work if we do indeed end up ponying up for him).

::sonny::

I go back to my original point we’re pursuing a player we aren’t prepared to pay a world record fee for which is what he will cost so that should be the end of it.
Vvd was on another level, already at Southampton was a top class.

I thought he was an injury prone player but it seems that he is not

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Maguire might not be as glamorous as other signings, and he'd obviously be massively overpriced, but he's certainly stepped it up a level every time he's moved on.
If he did that here, and added an actual goal threat at corners, for seemingly the first time in years - even when we had a team of tall players, as well as ball playing, then it might work.

But I couldn't see him working with Lindelöf, and we've only just seemed to decide he's first choice!
This is why we shouldn't even be thinking about this. He's not good enough for the money quoted. It's unfortunate that our 50+ scouts can't seem to unearth the young talent in the world.

Irwin99

Playing Maguire and Smalling would improve our general defence but if we're really intent on having players that can play out from the back then it's the same problem as Smalling/Blind and Smalling/Lindelof in that the oppo know which one of those players isn't as comfortable on the ball. I'd much prefer to see Maguire and Lindelof and see how it develops. A first choice defence of

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

has actually a decent level of technique in terms of passing ability and touch. Might not be world class but it's a pretty young defence with some room for gradual improvement.

George The Best

I like Maguire, but there’s absolutely no indication he wants to play for us. If anything the press mutterings suggest he’d prefer City if anything. At least AWB made it known he would like to be here, if the deal goes through. We need players to play for the shirt again, not just for an inflated pay cheque.

Patrick08

Agreed. Making Maguire the most expensive defender in the history of football, seems pretty absurd, especially when you consider the fact that he's totally unsuited to the style of football Ole professes he wants to play (high pressing).

There are better options.
Surely. Maguire lindelof does not look solid paring.

AFC NimbleThumb

We’re after the wrong Leicester player here.

I like Maguire but we won’t spend endlessly & I’d much rather scout better & find the ‘next’ Maguire; see if Toby A is still open to coming as a stop gap.

We need to be discussing Maddison with them.

IrishRedDevil

We couldn’t put him out there with Lindelof surely. Tactics to counter us would be quite simple. Imagine Matic standing in front of those 2. Would have to be the slowest central defense maybe since the 90s.

So more Smalling I suppose.
Lack of pace is definitely a red flag, especially if we plan on playing him next to Lindelöf. I can imagine how we could cover for his slowness if we threw a Kante-type defensive mid out there in front of him, though (not saying that we plan on doing that, just thinking about ways it could work if we do indeed end up ponying up for him).
You both make a good point about Lindelof which I overlooked. Maguire and Lindelof with Matic in front would be very concerning on the counter.

Allas8

All the noise around Maguire this summer seem like nothing. Don't think we ever was interested in him, or contacted Leicester over him. Last quote, £65m. When pre-season starts, Tuanzebe will be our new CB, and I bet the club has not given up on Bailly either.

The few times I watched Leicester last season, Maguire did not play very well, Evans played better, so probably for the better that we stay away. All the Diop rumors seems made up too.

Gandalf

All the noise around Maguire this summer seem like nothing. Don't think we ever was interested in him, or contacted Leicester over him. Last quote, £65m. When pre-season starts, Tuanzebe will be our new CB, and I bet the club has not given up on Bailly either.

The few times I watched Leicester last season, Maguire did not play very well, Evans played better, so probably for the better that we stay away. All the Diop rumors seems made up too.
With you on Tuanzebe but I don't think Bailly will be here when the season starts. Solskjaer did not seem impressed with him and with his contract running down I think he is the most likely CB to depart to balance the books.

Bestietom

Forget Maguire
Milenkovic 6'4"
commanding in the air and on the ground and still only 22.
45 million

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seems he is heading to shitty. That's one hell of a dodged bullet

Moriarty

With you on Tuanzebe but I don't think Bailly will be here when the season starts. Solskjaer did not seem impressed with him and with his contract running down I think he is the most likely CB to depart to balance the books.
Bailly needs to be shown the door. He's a bloody liability.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Does he have a buyout clause, or are you just pulling figures from the proverbial?
That would be surprising release clauses are rare out of Spain and Buy out clause are pretty none existant.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems he is heading to shitty. That's one hell of a dodged bullet
I'm not annoyed and i'm not pleased either.

I think he's a good player and would have certainly improved us, but there's plenty of players out there as good as him IMO.

We need to look for the "next maguire" like when he was at Hull. That was the obvious time to sign him before Leicester.

Status
Not open for further replies.