Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes, and? That's why VVD went for 75m and Coutinho went for 140. AWB will go for 50m-ish, Lukaku went for 80-90m.

No idea what your post has to do with what I said.
That Maguire simply not worth anywhere near to 80m, no matter how inflated the market is. Look Leicester can ask for 120m, and people like you may still think its a good signing for us, because he is the only one available and and he can surely improve our hopeless defence. And since we are a rich club, we might as well just keep overpaying until the club agree to sell, regardless of how good the player actually was, like we always do.

RyRy11

That Maguire simply not worth anywhere near to 80m, no matter how inflated the market is. Look Leicester can ask for 120m, and people like you may still think its a good signing for us, because he is the only one available and and he can surely improve our hopeless defence. And since we are a rich club, we might as well just keep overpaying until the club agree to sell, regardless of how good the player actually was, like we always do.
Clubs will continue to take the piss if we keep over paying.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Clubs will continue to take the piss if we keep over paying.
That's why we should stop all these nonsense. Overpaying world record fee for decent player like Maguire is definitely not the way we should go. It will encourage more and more clubs to ask for unrealistic fee from us in future.

I wouldn't pay a dime over 75m myself, that's a 30% hike on his price/worth.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What nonsense @RedRonaldo? Aside from Lukaku who will probably get sold on for around 65-70m this Summer?

Fred? Is all this negative panic based on Fred? Because tonnes of clubs have lashed out 40-50m on players that have turned out to be very average, not just United.
Lukaku and Fred is bad signing, Sanchez is another one we overpaid by huge amount of salary. You may also count Bailey and Martial, the signings are made before the Neymar inflation, if you double the amount in todays market, Martial will cost over 90m, and Bailey will cost over 60m. Yeh maybe its hindsight, but we are not doing well anyway with United tax in the past. We should strive to learn from clubs like Ajax, Dortmund, who somehow managed to keep buying value in any market. I guess they have proper scouts and management, something we seriously lack of.
Buying Maguire for 80m, in this sense, is a new low for us. (unless he turns out to be the best defender in the world, just like VVD)

Last edited:
Lukaku and Fred is bad signing, Sanchez is another one we overpaid by huge amount of salary. You may also count Bailey and Martial, the signings are made before the Neymar inflation, if you double the amount in todays market, Martial will cost over 90m, and Bailey will cost over 60m. Yeh maybe its hindsight, but we are not doing well anyway with United tax in the past. We should strive to learn from clubs like Ajax, Dortmund, who somehow managed to keep buying value in any market. I guess they have proper scouts and management, something we seriously lack of.
Buying Maguire for 80m, in this sense, is a new low for us. (unless he turns out to be the best defender in the world, just like VVD)
You can’t just theoretically double the price of Martial and Bailly’s transfers to try and make a point!

However there are a few we have overpaid on:

It’s common knowledge that Bailly was available for around £20m before we stepped in. So overpaid for him.

Rojo - no one was paying the package (transfer fee + Nani loan inc wages for him!).

Martial - fair price for his potential, and a significant proportion of his fee was add ons. Not overpaid.

Overpaid for Fellaini due to the release clause debacle.

Fred - I’m sure the decimal point was misplaced and he was meant to cost £5.2m. One of the most shocking transfers we have ever made.

Lukuku - probably not, Chelsea would have paid a similar price. Such a dearth of strikers around, and it was even more acute that summer.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If we buy Maguire, he's going to be over priced, too old, shit, and so on, if City buy him, we're idiots for not buying him.

That is one mental post :lol:

Patrick08

If we buy Maguire, he's going to be over priced, too old, shit, and so on, if City buy him, we're idiots for not buying him.
City dominate the ball, they don't have to defend like we do and neither we have a proper cdm to shield the central defense, thus it makes hell lot of difference.

Stacks

So still no names?

The fact that VVD went for 75m means absolutely jack shit, give us names. If anything Maguire is a bigger name now than VVD was then, VVD was a enormous fee for a Southampton centre half. And seriously man, how much would VVD be worth now? £150m maybe? I think more likely £200m.

And remember we live in times in which Felix is joining Ath. Madrid for €120m after a handfull of games.
His value doubled in 1 year. I don't think many clubs could afford that? Attacking players command more

His value doubled in 1 year. I don't think many clubs could afford that? Attacking players command more
VVD value has also doubled in one year, Jadon Sanchos has erm... I don’t know the word for 10-tiplued.

Back in the day Michael Carrick’s value jumped from 2 million-ish to 20 million-ish in a similar spell.

Attackers do command more, hence why Demeble, Felix & Sancho were/are valued much higher after such short spells.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
At what point are fans going to accept that this is gonna be the norm from now on? It's like it's the first time anyone has heard one of these daft fees.

VVD wasn't the best defender in the World when Liverpool signed him, he was a Southampton centre half playing for a side sitting 17th in the Premier League, and he cost 75 fecking million. Felix is a kid, and he's going for 120m. John Stones can't defend and cost 55m. Coutinho went for over €142m. Lukaku was wanted by both Chelsea AND United at an "insane" price. Higuain joined Juve for 90 million. Chelsea paid £60m for a Real Madrid substitute.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread @ZolaWasMagic, people compare it to the VVD price, but they forget that VVD was playing for a shitter side than Maguire and cost that much. Just because VVD is now considered one of, if not the best in the World right now, he wasn't then. And his price now? Add a cool £100,000,000 on to that price minimum if you want Liverpool to sell.

If you want one of Southampton, Leicester's or Crystal Palace's best players, you're gonna have to spend big, whether that's Maguire, Vardy, AWB or VVD doesn't matter. These clubs are rich now and have no reason to sell any "cheaper".
VVD at soton IMO was better than Maguire now. But why the feck is no one paying 25m for alderweireld over 80m for maguire. baffling

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You can’t just theoretically double the price of Martial and Bailly’s transfers to try and make a point!

However there are a few we have overpaid on:

It’s common knowledge that Bailly was available for around £20m before we stepped in. So overpaid for him.

Rojo - no one was paying the package (transfer fee + Nani loan inc wages for him!).

Martial - fair price for his potential, and a significant proportion of his fee was add ons. Not overpaid.

Overpaid for Fellaini due to the release clause debacle.

Fred - I’m sure the decimal point was misplaced and he was meant to cost £5.2m. One of the most shocking transfers we have ever made.

Lukuku - probably not, Chelsea would have paid a similar price. Such a dearth of strikers around, and it was even more acute that summer.
Well its different market back then, every big signing back then would look like a bargain in todays market, something along that line. But anyway, I felt Lukaku not worth 80m, hindsight maybe, but I never rate him that highly. Martial was actually the most expensive teenager in the world back then. With the same amount (up to 57m with add ons) we could probably sign someone who scored 20-30 goals a season (Augero cost less few more years back). its a pity he didn't fulfil his potential here.

Last edited:

Stacks

VVD value has also doubled in one year, Jadon Sanchos has erm... I don’t know the word for 10-tiplued.

Back in the day Michael Carrick’s value jumped from 2 million-ish to 20 million-ish in a similar spell.

Attackers do command more, hence why Demeble, Felix & Sancho were/are valued much higher after such short spells.
Big difference is their original value. VVD was already the world's most expensive defender which signifies him as one of the best. These other players were bargains or low key players

Big difference is their original value. VVD was already the world's most expensive defender which signifies him as one of the best. These other players were bargains or low key players
Hmmm... if AWB signs for around 50m, does that signify him as one of the best? Same goes for Maguire?

The fee Leicester paid Hull for Maguire was an incredible bargain, just as the fee Spurs paid West Ham for Carrick.

I’m a little confused as to this reasoning.

Stacks

Hmmm... if AWB signs for around 50m, does that signify him as one of the best? Same goes for Maguire?

The fee Leicester paid Hull for Maguire was an incredible bargain, just as the fee Spurs paid West Ham for Carrick.

I’m a little confused as to this reasoning.
Pretty straight forward really. He was already bought for a world record fee so for that to double in one season is not gonna happen. Van Dike wasn't a bargain cost as it was the highest for a VB

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we receive any offer of 75m+ then we should accept. He is a very good player, good on the ball, but does make defensive mistakes. Hopefully we'll reinvest the transfee fee into Tielemans and another CB.
50m plus Bailly, take it?

bsCallout

I'd say get Dias in, he's a RCB, young, good on the ball. Played for Benfica like Lindelof and wouldn't be as hard to do as Maguire who is over priced. Then get Fernandes in for the Portuguese factor.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Ole never said he solely wants British players. Maguire appears to be a target because 1.) We can't sign likes of De Ligt and Koulibaly 2.) He seems attainable given he's at a lesser club

Given your premise in itself is flawed, your entire argument falls flat. Maguires' price suggests he's a top class CB therefore his attributes are going to evaluated as such, even if it is to your ire :)
Fair play :), I had thought Ole was focusing on primarily British players, but you know better than me!

Maguire is not currently a world class CB, it is open to debate if he has the potential to be one, but I would not be surprised if he progressed to be one.
Also, he is not quite as slow as some make out. A little slow on the turn, but not once he is pointing in the right direction! :lol:

Regarding my ire, you have little chance, as I would of course rather he remained with us! :)

Nick.

There are other good defenders on the market, just move on. £75m for Maguire is just getting silly now.

ZLATAN9

So if we actually get Maguire and AWB and spend 120m on these 2 our defence would look like

AWB--Maguire--Lindelof--Shaw

How would this defence compare to the rest of the Top 6? Is it still good enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.