Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
If anything your centrebacks should be rated lower. There is a reason mourinho kept wanting to upgrade central defence every summer. At the end of the day, you are relying on centrebacks who were 4th and 5th choice for you when you were good and neither are really any better now than they were back then.

Smalling reminds me a bit of Skrtel in the sense that he looked good when playing with better players than himself, had six months once upon a time where he was really good, but when the time came to step it up as one of the leaders in the first team, the ability for it just wasn't there.

Smalling has all the physical attributes of a good defender, but he's not tight enough on his man and just a bit sloppy too often. He gets rated higher than he should be because he was really good for six months once, doesn't make the kind of calamity errors someone like Lovren does and is somehow still your best defender.

He's part of the problem for you though, not the solution.
What's your assessment on Jones?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Leicester agree, and the fact that big club's are trying to buy him rather than say West Ham shows that they agree, that's the point and the only thing that is important here.
Whether or not RAB or amolbhatia from the internet agree has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Not really. When Liverpool spent 35 million pounds on Andy Carroll all that time ago which was a humongous amount of money for that time, the mere fact that a big club was willing to pay a smaller club a gigantic fee for a player doesn't negate and disqualify the criticism and mocking that the signing and Liveprool's valuation of the player justifiably received and was proven to clearly be incorrect. Clubs get things wrong, repeatedly, that regular 'internet' folk often get right. That's sort of the point of this place - to hear out and respond to the views of XYZ from the internet.

As I stated earlier up this page:
If you want one of Southampton, Leicester's or Crystal Palace's best players, you're gonna have to spend big, whether that's Maguire, Vardy, AWB or VVD doesn't matter. These clubs are rich now and have no reason to sell any "cheaper".

People need to stop being shocked at these quoted prices and screaming how said player is "never worth that", they are the new norm if United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea want to take a player from a "lesser" Premier League side.
I think everyone realises that smaller clubs are now loaded and will rinse the bigger ones good and proper for taking their star names. However, you're missing the point of the supposed naysayers (for this signing). Most aren't in shock weeping about the prices quoted, they simply don't rate Maguire as highly as the likes of you do.

I suppose next season will tell us how good he is given he'll probably get his move wherever it may be. I'm in two minds about this. I've never seen him to be a top player but given he is good on the ball, I'd naturally take him over the existing situation.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There's no way there's 15 better centre backs than Smalling.
This criminal underrating of our players does get silly.
Far better than Smalling:
Van Dijk
Laporte
Koscielny
Rudiger
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Maguire
Lindelof

We can talk about Stones, Ake, Lovren, Otamendi, Sanchez, Sokratis....
So it is not about underrating. He is solid defender but only that. He is just not good enough for Man Utd

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Far better than Smalling:
Van Dijk
Laporte
Koscielny
Rudiger
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Maguire
Lindelof

We can talk about Stones, Ake, Lovren, Otamendi, Sanchez, Sokratis....
So it is not about underrating. He is solid defender but only that. He is just not good enough for Man Utd
Kocielny no chance.
Lindelof no chance. He might pass a bit better but isn't better than smalling at any aspect of actual defending.

Not even going to warrant your "talk about" list with a response

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Kocielny no chance.
Lindelof no chance. He might pass a bit better but isn't better than smalling at any aspect of actual defending.

Not even going to warrant your "talk about" list with a response
:lol::lol:.Lindelof invented football for Smalling. Yes, it is better that we don't talk about this topic

Not really. When Liverpool spent 35 million pounds on Andy Carroll all that time ago which was a humongous amount of money for that time, the mere fact that a big club was willing to pay a smaller club a gigantic fee for a player doesn't negate and disqualify the criticism and mocking that the signing and Liveprool's valuation of the player justifiably received and was proven to clearly be incorrect. Clubs get things wrong, repeatedly, that regular 'internet' folk often get right. That's sort of the point of this place - to hear out and respond to the views of XYZ from the internet.
Once again. That just kinda proves my point @amolbhatia50k, get used to "silly" fees in the Premier League. Clubs are rich and don't need to sell for anything less than a big deal, the days of buying Berbatov, Yorke or Carrick for 20-30m are long long gone.

I think everyone realises that smaller clubs are now loaded and will rinse the bigger ones good and proper for taking their star names. However, you're missing the point of the supposed naysayers (for this signing). Most aren't in shock weeping about the prices quoted, they simply don't rate Maguire as highly as the likes of you do.
I'm not missing the point though, he's an England international, a nailed on starter for the national side, and he plays in the Premier League for Leicester. Of course he's expensive, that's the point.

amolbhatia50k

I'm not missing the point though, he's an England international, a nailed on starter for the national side, and he plays in the Premier League for Leicester. Of course he's expensive, that's the point.
No, that isn't the point. The question is not regarding the amount that Leicester would demand but whether United should be meeting the said valuation, and signing the player.

amolbhatia50k

Once again. That just kinda proves my point @amolbhatia50k, get used to "silly" fees in the Premier League. Clubs are rich and don't need to sell for anything less than a big deal, the days of buying Berbatov, Yorke or Carrick for 20-30m are long long gone.
It doesn't prove the point at all. That clubs often pay silly fees for players they shouldn't have signed doesn't imply that we should continue the trend gleefully.

You can still buy quality players for reasonable fees. Just not from rich PL clubs.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Very good CB. One could see he was something special at his time at Hull City. The english players are always a bit more expensive in the Premier League so I can't say I'm that surprised with the price tag. The club who gets him will have secured a great starting player on the centre of their defence for years to come.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
No, that isn't the point. The question is not regarding the amount that Leicester would demand but whether United should be meeting the said valuation, and signing the player.
Better question seems to be if you believe tabloaid journalism or not...

amolbhatia50k

How highly do Leicester fans rate Maguire? Do they think he could be one of the best CBs in the game? I mean, my view on him is pretty semi formed. I've never been all that impressed but then again how often do I really watch Leicester.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
£80m for this berk, City are happy to have him :lol:

Given Koulibaly and Skriniar are unattainable, we should try our luck at likes of Romagnoli, Milenkovic or Tah.

How highly do Leicester fans rate Maguire? Do they think he could be one of the best CBs in the game? I mean, my view on him is pretty semi formed. I've never been all that impressed but then again how often do I really watch Leicester.
I was a big fan when he was at Hull, one of those player who stuck out like a sore thumb. It's England where I've seen him most though and he's a leader, confident, composed and superb on the ball. The difference in quality between him and his partner is startling, he's better at absolutely every single part of the game, consider then that his partner was bought by Pep Guardiola for 55 million.

Kush

I was a big fan when he was at Hull, one of those player who stuck out like a sore thumb. It's England where I've seen him most though and he's a leader, confident, composed and superb on the ball. The difference in quality between him and his partner is startling, he's better at absolutely every single part of the game, consider then that his partner was bought by Pep Guardiola for 55 million.
I don't find many in this thread who think Maguire is not a good player, if we had bought him from Hull for £17m he'd be a great value. But his price is a sticking point, just like Stones wasn't worth £50m, Maguire isn't worth £80m either. We do not have bottomless pit of money, there are several positions in our squad which need fixing. Can't afford to be blowing a significant sum of that on likes of Maguire.

You talk about difference in quality between Stones and Maguire, but the benchmark should never be another overrated English player. Pit him against Laporte and Laporte absolutely shits on him.

I don't find many in this thread who think Maguire is not a good player, if we had bought him from Hull for £17m he'd be a great value. But his price is a sticking point, just like Stones wasn't worth £50m, Maguire isn't worth £80m either.
Of course he's not, but if he's top of our recruitment list, we're rich as feck (or should be) and that's almost the going rate for an international centre half that is wanted by the top clubs as proved by VVD going from the 17th placed side to Liverpool.

In an ideal world we'd be buying Maguire for 49m and I'm certain most of our fans would be pretty delighted about it, the fact that it'll probably cost us 25m more is what everyone seems to be losing their shit about. Think of it this way though, if we'd have spent that 25m more last Summer, we'd probably be in the CL now and the windfall that goes with that would've wiped out the extra 25m. Bonkers hey?

If our manager places a player at the top of his list, I want us to pay.

You talk about difference in quality between Stones and Maguire, but the benchmark should never be another overrated English player. Pit him against Laporte and Laporte absolutely shits on him.
I personally don't think Laporte shits on him at all, but equally you can't take one release fee player and use his price as a benchmark, in the same way De Ligt also cannot be used as Ajax are very special in that way.

Last edited:

Kush

Of course he's not, but if he's top of our recruitment list, we're rich as feck (or should be) and that's almost the going rate for an international centre half that is wanted by the top clubs as proved by VVD going from the 17th placed side to Liverpool.
We are rich, but we don't have unlimited money. I doubt our spending is gonna be big this summer, so far we've seen little to know that's the case.

I personally don't think Laporte shits on him at all, but equally you can't take one release fee player and use his price as a benchmark, in the same way De Ligt also cannot be used as Ajax are very special in that way.
Laporte was rated extremely highly since he was a teenager, and iirc he actually renewed his contract with a buyout a year before City nabbed him. And yes, the difference in quality between the two is significant. If they are lining up next to each other, it'll be visible to you.

Save for the insane market for CBs in PL, rest of the Europe is still buying top quality CBs for less than a price of Harry Maguire. Likes of Niklas Sule, Skriniar, Pavard, Eder Militao have all changed clubs in past 1-1.5 years and none of them cost more than £40m. We have an abysmal scouting system/transfer department who 1.) can't identify potential top quality CBs 2.) can't identify bargains on some of these players with a relatively low release clause.

RocketRed

Supports
Liverpool
I didn't watch too many Leicester games last season so only really saw him play for England during the World Cup.

He looks pretty solid defensively, a good passer and a threat at set pieces, but the question for me is; Can he perform when he's under pressure to deliver at a 'big club'? Can he take the weight on his shoulders mentally that will inevitably apply?

Judging by his character, I'd say yes, but being a defender in the current Man City team is surely a bit easier than being the 'solution' at a team like Man United currently. That's not to say he can't be your VVD and have a positive effect on those around him but it's a big if

RedRover

Anyone that watches the two would come to the conclusion that neither would be a significant upgrade on what we have . I would rather give Tuanzabe a chance than overpay for Maguire
Madness. You'd rather rely on a young lad who had a decent season in the Championship than an international defender who's been a consistent performer in the PL for the last three seasons? Just so the club can save £20 million?

RedRover

I didn't watch too many Leicester games last season so only really saw him play for England during the World Cup.

He looks pretty solid defensively, a good passer and a threat at set pieces, but the question for me is; Can he perform when he's under pressure to deliver at a 'big club'? Can he take the weight on his shoulders mentally that will inevitably apply?

Judging by his character, I'd say yes, but being a defender in the current Man City team is surely a bit easier than being the 'solution' at a team like Man United currently. That's not to say he can't be your VVD and have a positive effect on those around him but it's a big if
You don't know that about any player until they land. I think a player with significant PL experience is more likely to than a lot of the other options out there. The second point is spot on - much easier job at City playing in that side than here, obviously subject to what we bring in elsewhere.

I personally think he's a great option. The others we've been linked with may prove to be better but for me, coming from abroad makes it more risky.

Anyone that watches the two would come to the conclusion that neither would be a significant upgrade on what we have . I would rather give Tuanzabe a chance than overpay for Maguire
That’s apparently what the board said to Jose last Summer... how’d that work out?

Missed CL money & a big pay off to a manager who lost his shit. Oh, and one of the shittest defensive records we’ve ever had :lol:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
United or City don't want to sign him.

The media are desperate to make a story out of nothing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What's your assessment on Jones?
Good enough squaddie on his day if he were fit for an extended period.

Your problem is you have five defenders who are, or could be, good enough as squaddies in one form or another but none capable of standing out as a starter. The fact that Smalling is the one that's carved that spot out for himself just goes to show that the rest haven't delivered. He should be 3rd choice at best.

You need centrebacks that other top clubs wouldn't mind having as first team regulars.

Fosu-Mens

Whilst I agree, that isn't the point was it? VVD was player in a side sitting 17th in the league and he cost 75m quid, that's simply the price you will have to pay these days to take a top player from another Premier League side.

As for "had all the abilities to perform at the highest level and in all systems", well that's just not something anyone could be certain of until Liverpool bought him, hence why Liverpool had a free run at him. Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve would all love VVD now, back then, not one of them was interested.
We disagree on Maguire. He is good in the air and can handle the ball. Given that OGS is most likely going to play similar to how Klopp played during his first full season with Liverpool, with high press, fast paced and not a big focus on possession.... This style does not align with Maguires strengths. If we played similarly to how LVG played, with a low block possessionbased football, then Maguire would be a superb option, just not with how OGS intends to play.

Regarding VVD: Physical and technical abilties are fairly easy to evaluate and will not change much over a 12 month period or by changing clubs. How he performs in a different system and environment is what one cannot know for sure, and where the risk attached to transfers comes from.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
See, I think the total opposite. If you are intent on buying a British/English player, then you absolutely should look at the nearest comparable player who is British/English. Comparing him to Laporte or Koulibaly is useful sure, but it fails to meet one of your prime requirements, so is ultimately flawed.

We disagree on Maguire. He is good in the air and can handle the ball. Given that OGS is most likely going to play similar to how Klopp played during his first full season with Liverpool, with high press, fast paced and not a big focus on possession.... This style does not align with Maguires strengths.
“If” OGS wants him then you can be certain he disagrees with you.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Read today we're in for him at £80m. I swear if we pay that I'll personally punch Pep in the balls first place I see him.
£80m for Harry Maguire, whats the world coming too.

Kush

See, I think the total opposite. If you are intent on buying a British/English player, then you absolutely should look at the nearest comparable player who is British/English. Comparing him to Laporte or Koulibaly is useful sure, but it fails to meet one of your prime requirements, so is ultimately flawed.
I'm sorry but this reasoning is totally dumb. We intend to buy a top class CB, therefore Maguire regardless of his quality will be compared to genuine top class CBs and not shitty English ones.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
I'm sorry but this reasoning is totally dumb. We intend to buy a top class CB, therefore Maguire regardless of his quality will be compared to genuine top class CBs and not shitty English ones.
Thought Ole mentioned he wants British players? Who else meets the criteria I mentioned (British/English) and a good CB ?

What is the point in comparing to non British players, if thats a key differentiator? As a said, comparing him to top CB is fine, but they are off the table as they are not British, no?

(Maybe you plan on getting Michael Keane back? :))

Kush

Thought Ole mentioned he wants British players? Who else meets the criteria I mentioned (British/English) and a good CB ?

What is the point in comparing to non British players, if thats a key differentiator? As a said, comparing him to top CB is fine, but they are off the table as they are not British, no?
Ole never said he solely wants British players. Maguire appears to be a target because 1.) We can't sign likes of De Ligt and Koulibaly 2.) He seems attainable given he's at a lesser club

Given your premise in itself is flawed, your entire argument falls flat. Maguires' price suggests he's a top class CB therefore his attributes are going to evaluated as such, even if it is to your ire :)

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Wow, that much money for an ok player. No wonder we are struggling to sign players, other club wanna take us to the cleaners.
We can thank that to Woody being cocky when he first took over as chairman, bragging about United having money, commercial deals and whatnot.

Leicester_Loyal

Supports
Leicester
If we receive any offer of 75m+ then we should accept. He is a very good player, good on the ball, but does make defensive mistakes. Hopefully we'll reinvest the transfee fee into Tielemans and another CB.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We can thank that to Woody being cocky when he first took over as chairman, bragging about United having money, commercial deals and whatnot.
Was probably true then.but it isn't now.

However we would still prefer our money position to almost every other club

Roboc7

Leicester have made up an asking price they think no one will pay, he would also prefer to go to City so this transfer simply isn’t realistic. Hopefully we’ve moved on.

Actually like Maguire but once he’s under scrutiny at United I think he would be shown up and the big fee would be a burden. Leicester would probably go and buy a replacement for half the price and be no worse off.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Why’s the price the same for City then?

Stop chatting absolute nonsense, Leicester want a big fee for their best player.
It's just my opinion, ever since we've got Woody in charge I have a feeling we're overpaying players, but I could be very well wrong.

Was probably true then.but it isn't now.

However we would still prefer our money position to almost every other club
We're rich, but Glazer rich, not Manchester United rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.