g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Looks like we're overpaying for everyone by about 40%. It's not as if we're fighting against other teams and getting ready made world class players at that price either. We really are the biggest mugs in football. What do we pay our scouts for?
So you'd only bid 30m or so for Wan Bissaka?
I take it you just want us to have a Tottenham transfer window of least year and sign nobody?

Ibrahimorich

Why don't we just sign Alderwiereld for 1/3 of the price? Then actually do some scouting and sign the "next" Maguire for £20m instead? There must be better CBs available for less money,

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
we're not getting Koulibaly. Napoli don't want to sell and he doesn't want to come here. all this 'may as well just pay the little extra' BS is just that... BS.
Exactly. It's like buying players is like grocery shopping, you want that product? Pay bit more and buy next one which is better brand.

stepic

Spot on.

It's been the same with the dreamers who want Griezemann, De Ligt and Rabiot. Not a chance we would get any of them. Maguire is a realistic obtainable player who would greatly improve us!
too much FM is the only way i can make sense of it. some strange assumption that every player is attainable if you just spend enough. the real world doesn't work like that.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Looks like we're trying to re-create the Keystone Kops for the new decade
Maguire and Smalling with the laugh tracks on

AJ10

He'll improve us no doubt but anything more than that is just highest level of stupidity from united.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This will probably happen - I think he’ll be a good addition

Plays on the left
Strong in the air
Good on the ball
Leadership

I think he covers all of the above
Nice to see someone who is positive to this signing!

There are so many people that are negative to Harry Maguire in this thread its astounding. I feel the only reason the negativity is all over the place is because he's not playing for Barcelona or is named De Ligt.

Harry Maguire is an absolutely massive guy at 194cm and clocking in at around 100kg. He's a big big footballer.

He's dominant in the air. That already adresses something that we sorely lack in our defense. He's a scoring threat, and is a player that likes to control the game and plays the ball from the back. And that last point is exactly what OGS wants the club to do. Play from the back. Build the attack from behind and control the game.

Shaw - Maguire - Lindelöf - Wan-Bissaka instantly makes our defense the best in the league along with Liverpool. Lindelöf had a rough start at the club but man he stepped up to the plate last half of the season.

Listen, I would prefer Koulibaly over Maguire, but the difference is not that big. And Maguire fits well with the club identiy that Ole is trying to build. Young and hungry players you can build a foundation on.

But if any of the factual statements doesn't sound right, consider that Pep Guardiola is also reportedly trying to sign Maguire to replace Vicent Kompany.

There's a damn fine player there, and I'll call this transfer window a huge success if he arrives.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Why don't we just sign Alderwiereld for 1/3 of the price? Then actually do some scouting and sign the "next" Maguire for £20m instead? There must be better CBs available for less money,
We tried that with Rojo, Bailly, Blind and to an extent Lindelof as you'd have wanted him sold at the start of the season.

StrettyEnder07

I love how people are kicking off that we are not after Koulibaly, have we not bid for him twice and be told 1. By Napoli he will cost well over 100m and 2. He has said he is not interested in a move to us.

It is actually nice that we are not chasing players who have no interest in coming to us, remember a few years ago when we blew our whole summer chasing unrealistic targets, and yet people are going mad we are not doing the same this summer with Koulibaly, Skriniar etc.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well those on the CAF who saw the decline coming need a medal and a job at United cos can't remember speaking to one United fan who wasn't buzzing we had beaten City to his signature (to be fair we could be signing Messi and half the people on the CAF would find faults with it, people just love to moan and put everything down, happens).
That's mainly because some of the posters on here are genuine football nerds. Not only people who know a lot about football but who also spend time assessing and looking at stats in detail. For what its worth, I really wanted us to sign Sanchez when he moved to Arsenal, that was the point when we should have pushed big for him (along with Vidal).

Fred was abysmal for a lot of last year, as Lindelof was the season before, as the likes of Pires was in his first year at Arsenal, sometimes players take time to adjust. He was a lot better towards the back end and had some half decent performances (PSG away, Arsenal away) where he looked the player we thought we were getting.
Getting offtopic but I agree, players always need at least 1 and a half years to bed in. But Fred is someone I just simply do not rate. I just don't see it. But feel free to continue in the relevant thread.

PoTMS

So you'd only bid 30m or so for Wan Bissaka?
I take it you just want us to have a Tottenham transfer window of least year and sign nobody?
£35m. And yes, I would have felt that's more than fair for someone whose had one good season and there are still question marks over his game going forward.

You do realise we have a set budget and can sign players outside of the PL? I don't buy the whole foreign player needs time to adapt bullshit. It only seems to be our players that need time to adapt whereas players for other teams hit the ground running.

Besides, the extra £15-20m here and there adds up and could mean we don't get all the players we necessarily and desperately need.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What you need to understand is that we don't need the money and that to go out and buy a ready made replacement from this league, we'll end up having to pay £40 / £50m for someone like Dunk or the Burnley chap whose name I won't even attempt to spell. What's the point?

Apparently we have £100m + to spend without having to sell to improve the team as the board see it as a great time to make a push, with yourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal all being in a bit of a mess or a transition. Bringing in Tielemans and a top class winger could see us have enough to push for the top 6, or with a slice of luck something even higher. Not saying that's what we'll achieve, but this season is viewed as THE season to do it.
It's probably less about the money and more about having an asset on your books who becomes demotivated. No team leader in any profession is going to develop a positive working culture if employees feel held back and blocked from progressing. Players will also be reticent to sign with you if you develop a reputation for not having self-awareness and realising that players may want to take a step further to clubs that aspire to play in the CL annually. A motivated Maguire might be worth a certain amount, but a demotivated Maguire will be worth far less. it's all about understanding the mentality of your staff. If Maguire is happy to stay, turning down a sale could easily be the right decision. If he wants to move on, not selling him may well prove to be a mistake.

StrettyEnder07

I think if Alderwiereld had any interest in leaving Spurs this year there would be clubs queuing up for him.

Havak

Pokemon master
Always been my opinion that we are paying perhaps close to double what he is worth even in this inflated transfer market (+ the ol' English player and Man Utd 'need' tax). When you can get Koulibaly for an amount that isn't an excessive sum more or Alderweireld for a third of the price, I think this deal is just a 'worst of both worlds' kind of transfer. You're going in the middle ground to get a player who is worse than both someone only slightly more expensive when we're talking these figures and someone considerably less expensive. Age is the only factor if Maguire is expected to be our CB for 5+ years, but I think Koulibaly is at an age where he can exceed that and Toby would be more of a gap fill until we can develop a new CB but he's PL proven and better than Maguire ever will be IMO.

Of course, I'll support Harry if he joins us, but I expect he will be 'one of those players' that never lives up to this price tag and it'll be constantly brought up. I don't think he is going to be the one to transform our defence into one of the most solid around like van Djik did at Liverpool, which is what I'd want for that kind of money.

Infestissumam

why would Alderweireld leave Spurs right now? They reached the CL final, are again in the CL this year and are strengthening. People need to be realistic.

Stacks

Nice to see someone who is positive to this signing!

There are so many people that are negative to Harry Maguire in this thread its astounding. I feel the only reason the negativity is all over the place is because he's not playing for Barcelona or is named De Ligt.

Harry Maguire is an absolutely massive guy at 194cm and clocking in at around 100kg. He's a big big footballer.

He's dominant in the air. That already adresses something that we sorely lack in our defense. He's a scoring threat, and is a player that likes to control the game and plays the ball from the back. And that last point is exactly what OGS wants the club to do. Play from the back. Build the attack from behind and control the game.

Shaw - Maguire - Lindelöf - Wan-Bissaka instantly makes our defense the best in the league along with Liverpool. Lindelöf had a rough start at the club but man he stepped up to the plate last half of the season.

Listen, I would prefer Koulibaly over Maguire, but the difference is not that big. And Maguire fits well with the club identiy that Ole is trying to build. Young and hungry players you can build a foundation on.

But if any of the factual statements doesn't sound right, consider that Pep Guardiola is also reportedly trying to sign Maguire to replace Vicent Kompany.

There's a damn fine player there, and I'll call this transfer window a huge success if he arrives.
Best in the league.....ok....3 of those defenders formed defences that conceded tonnes last year

Mr. Meeseeks

they've said all along they want more than what VVD went for, so this was expected.

£80m would be a fair compromise. i could see it going to about £85m.
VVD was younger and better than Maguire when he moved. £85m for Harry fecking Maguire would be the biggest fleecing in recent memory. He is not that good. For that money people are expecting VVD level talent and when he repeatedly gets beaten for pace in our high press system he will get eaten alive.

If he wanted a move he wouldnt have signed a contract extension last September. It is time to walk away from the table in my opinion.

JustAGuest

What you need to understand is that we don't need the money and that to go out and buy a ready made replacement from this league, we'll end up having to pay £40 / £50m for someone like Dunk or the Burnley chap whose name I won't even attempt to spell. What's the point?

Apparently we have £100m + to spend without having to sell to improve the team as the board see it as a great time to make a push, with yourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal all being in a bit of a mess or a transition. Bringing in Tielemans and a top class winger could see us have enough to push for the top 6, or with a slice of luck something even higher. Not saying that's what we'll achieve, but this season is viewed as THE season to do it.
Can you see Maguire justifying a fee in the £80m region? I assume you have seen him play more than most people in this thread.

BlueHaze

Also it's hilarious how these same clowns denied Mourinho Maguire last summer when we could have gotten him for £70m because they would only be willing to spend that amount on "someone like Varane" Then one year later they proceed to bid for him when his price has risen.

Feck me...

Status
Not open for further replies.