Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRedDevil

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
---------------Matic

Lindelof, Maguire and Matic are all very slow. That would be concerning against the counter.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Umtiti, injuries be damned, just rotate him.
Rotate him with who? He has a fecked knee. We want to improve our first XI with a defence that can be relied upon week in week out, not rotate centre backs and avoid forming any partnerships :lol:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Why? I don't recall saying I know who they are, did I phrase it that way?

Skriniar is a better player and I find it hard to imagine Inter would turn down 70m-80m for him.
You said there was better out there so I was asking who?
Skriniar has just signed a new contract and also said he doesn't want to leave Inter yet.

My point is also, how do we know Skriniar comes here and adapts to the Premier League?
We've had little success signing players from Italy. Most struggle to adapt to this league.

Darmian, Higuain, Shevchenko, Crespo, Veron, Aqulliani to name a few. So that sort of investment becomes a big risk

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
---------------Matic

Lindelof, Maguire and Matic are all very slow. That would be concerning against the counter.
Quite sure Longstaff would start if he joined us. Lindelof isn't as slow as he appears, and AWB can be very fast to cover.

Crashoutcassius

how have sky sports become so so bad for this stuff. so clearly nothing going on and they are coming up with wierd neck and neck race between ourselves and city

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If we're happy to throw 80m euros at a CB then most CBs would be available for that price.
Yeah, not sure how to even feel about this deal. He is good CB with few weakness, not sure if he is worth the money.

I would love if we move on and sign some other CB, on the other hand I feel we won't sign any if we miss out on Maguire.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Goals 2 and 4 for Palace are classic Mcguire/Jones/Smalling/Bailly. He will fit in well.

Also Evans gives away a penalty for old time sake.

Red_Beans

we need a leader in at CB, not another prospect. Maguire is not my first choice but I think he will compliment Lindelof well. If the club wants him I hope we get it wrapped up soon

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
with Sky saying we are now ahead in the "race" for this guy, it's awful that I'm so desperate for some experience in the team that I think this is OK. Wake up Mitchmouse, Maguire is dross!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You said there was better out there so I was asking who?
Skriniar has just signed a new contract and also said he doesn't want to leave Inter yet.

My point is also, how do we know Skriniar comes here and adapts to the Premier League?
We've had little success signing players from Italy. Most struggle to adapt to this league.

Darmian, Higuain, Shevchenko, Crespo, Veron, Aqulliani to name a few. So that sort of investment becomes a big risk
Nope, I didn't.

I'd say even in the PL Nathan Ake is probably on par with Maguire and Issa Diop is much younger and has way more potential, and both would probably be cheaper.

Ekeke

I don't think he's being signed to be the stupidly quick defender, he's being looked at because he can stick his head on anything in the box, something that we've lacked for years since Vidic.

He's also pretty good at bringing the ball out and playing a decent pass, again, something we've lacked for years.
We already have the CB with the 2nd most headers from the top clubs, behind only VVD.

Maguire isnt even top 3 when compared against the CBs from the top 6 clubs.

If you mean offensively then :

Chris Smalling is more of a goal threat than Maguire and has also scored almost as many goals as Vidic did. Twice Smalling has scored 4 goals in a league season, Maguire has scored 3 a single time and 2 twice before.

Vidic had 1 single season where he scored 5 league goals, 1 season where he scored 4 and 1 season where he scored 3 goals for Manchester United

Smalling 12 goals in 206 games, Vidic 15 goals in 2011 games

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Name some?
All of these players had 85% or more pass accuracy, had played for 75% or more of the season and averaged more passes per game than Maguire. This ignores the Portugese/Neatherlands leagues (only did the top 5) so Dias/De Ligt would feature on this list for example. Now obviously some of these are unattainable as they're at rival clubs and some are on the wrong side of 30 years old. If I reduced the % of Season down from 75 to 60 it opens up more players too.

It's worth pointing out that with the current criteria, not 1 United CB featured on the list.

Clearly it also depends what skillset you would want. Maguire is one of the best headers from Europe from memory so thats clearly some bonus marks for him. If we're looking at purely distribution however then see below:

Passes per Game | Name - Club, Age, Position

90.4 | Aymeric Laporte - Manchester City, 25, D(CL)
86.6 | Niklas Süle - Bayern Munich, 23, D(C)
79.9 | Virgil van Dijk - Liverpool, 27, D(C)
76.9 | Antonio Rüdiger - Chelsea, 26, D(CR)
75.5 | Jonathan Tah - Bayer Leverkusen, 23, D(C)
75.1 | Aissa Mandi - Real Betis, 27, D(CLR)
72.8 | David Luiz - Chelsea, 32, D(C),DMC
72.2 | Marcelo - Lyon, 32, D(C)
71.9 | Kalidou Koulibaly - Napoli, 27, D(C)
71.2 | Toby Alderweireld - Tottenham, 30, D(CR)
71.0 | Nico Elvedi - Borussia M.Gladbach, 22, D(CLR)
68.7 | Marc Bartra - Real Betis, 28, D(CR)
68.6 | Milan Skriniar - Inter, 24, D(C)
68.3 | Gerard Piqué - Barcelona, 32, D(C)
67.9 | Kevin Vogt - Hoffenheim, 27, D(CR),M(C)
66.8 | Christophe Herelle - Nice, 26, D(C)
66.6 | Dante - Nice, 35, D(C)
65.7 | Robin Knoche - Wolfsburg, 27, D(C)
65.3 | Matthias Ginter - Borussia M.Gladbach, 25, D(CR),DMC
64.1 | Niklas Moisander - Werder Bremen, 33, D(C)
63.5 | Jason Denayer - Lyon, 23, D(CR),DMC
63.4 | Joachim Andersen - Sampdoria, 23, D(C)
61.4 | José Fonte - Lille, 35, D(C)
60.3 | Gianmarco Ferrari - Sassuolo, 27, D(C)
60.1 | John Brooks - Wolfsburg, 26, D(C)
60.0 | Mateo Musacchio - AC Milan, 28, D(C)
56.4 | Harry MaguireLeicester, 26, D(C) - (I put him on here but his pass accuracy was actually slightly less than 90%)

Last edited:

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Nope, I didn't.

I'd say even in the PL Nathan Ake is probably on par with Maguire and Issa Diop is much younger and has way more potential, and both would probably be cheaper.
I agree somewhat on Ake. I actually like him as a player and would be happy if we bought him. I don't think he's as good as Magurie right now, but he's doing all the right things.
Diop is an interesting one. He's done will for West Ham this season, but you're basically buying a Smalling clone. If we want to play out from the back, this lad isn't who we want. If we want somebody to win the ball and clear it, then sure.

The issue is, I think people underrate Magurie and I'm not sure why. 70m is definitely excessive, but we'd be getting a good player, whose proved his place for England and in the Premier League.
If we do make a big, we clearly rate him. Leicester seem to be setting the price high, so they also surely rate him.
I think he's better than anything Chelsea and Arsenal have. I also think he'd walk into Tottenham's side.
Liverpool and City, would be more debatable, but I think he'd definitely feature in plenty of games if he played there.

The big issue when buying from another league is, we really don't know what we'll end up getting.
I think the board want to shop within the league a lot more as we've been burned so many times lately, whether it's 'superstarts' (Di Maria, Falcao) or supposed top talents (Martial, Depay) etc

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
All of these players had 85% or more pass accuracy.
Maguire is both a good all round defender and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.
The big question mark for me would be his pace, but I guess it depends how we set up as a team.

Leicester up until Rogers took over always relied on being a counter attack team, so his involvement in build up would be minimum

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I agree somewhat on Ake. I actually like him as a player and would be happy if we bought him. I don't think he's as good as Magurie right now, but he's doing all the right things.
Diop is an interesting one. He's done will for West Ham this season, but you're basically buying a Smalling clone. If we want to play out from the back, this lad isn't who we want. If we want somebody to win the ball and clear it, then sure.

The issue is, I think people underrate Magurie and I'm not sure why. 70m is definitely excessive, but we'd be getting a good player, whose proved his place for England and in the Premier League.
If we do make a big, we clearly rate him. Leicester seem to be setting the price high, so they also surely rate him.
I think he's better than anything Chelsea and Arsenal have. I also think he'd walk into Tottenham's side.
Liverpool and City, would be more debatable, but I think he'd definitely feature in plenty of games if he played there.

The big issue when buying from another league is, we really don't know what we'll end up getting.
I think the board want to shop within the league a lot more as we've been burned so many times lately, whether it's 'superstarts' (Di Maria, Falcao) or supposed top talents (Martial, Depay) etc
Them setting the price high is mainly because he's English, PL proven, and internationally proven, factors which always basically double a player's actual worth when it comes to transfer fees.

It's all well and good buying PL proven players but I don't rate Maguire remotely as high as you do, I'm honestly not even sure he's any better than Smalling defensively, and people seem to be forgetting that Lindelof is already really good with the ball at his feet so that whole spiel doesn't make much sense to me either. Diop might be a "Smalling" right now but the lad clearly has massive potential and I'd much prefer to spend the money on him than Maguire.

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. He'll probably improve our defense a bit (it's hard to get any worse than Jones, Rojo, bailly etc.) but that's about it. He's had plenty of defensive howlers for Leicester and I'm sure we'll see plenty more for us.

StrettyEnder07

If Maguire is the next best thing after Koulibaly then there must be feck all decent center backs in Europe right now.
Not to sure there are to be fair, you take out De Ligt/Koulibaly the only attainable ones are CBs who people have never seen play but have obtained them on FM/Fifa and are sudden experts on them. Lindelof has come good now but if we buy a prospect from another country, who will need 12 months to adjust, are they any better than Tuanzebe?

Maguire for me is ready made, he will come in and be an instant improvement IMO and it would be good having a massive threat from set pieces for once. Plus bring the ball out of the back, he is class at.

He can't be all bad if Pep is willing to pay 65M+ for him.

Tiber

One thing that bemuses me about this thread is the attitudes from some (well, many) of the anti-Maguire posters.

The argument doesn't appear to be that as he isn't quite VVD, this should be reflected in the transfer fee. No, the arguement is often that he is complete dogshit and doesn't deserve to be on a football pitch.

Very weird.

dogwithabone

Whether he’s the very best we can attain I’m not so sure but he’s undoubtedly a step up in class to what we currently have.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think the bigger problem overlooked is not just the quality of defenders we have at the club, but a lack of top quality defensive midfielder. United last had an off-form Matic shielding the defence. Our other midfielders are attack minded. I don't have stats but I would think our defence might have been better with Matic, Herrera and Pogba playing together, at least it appeared to be the case. I could be wrong.

Stats anyone?

StrettyEnder07

Why? I don't recall saying I know who they are, did I phrase it that way?

Skriniar is a better player and I find it hard to imagine Inter would turn down 70m-80m for him.
Skriniar signed a new deal this summer and has already said he does not want to join us and that he wants to stay at Inter, with Inter saying the same, none starter.

StrettyEnder07

So "AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw"? Uff! Remembering guys like Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, and Evra. For me, ManUtd was like a strong engine. But yes, i remember the good times of the club. De Ligt and Koulibaly are way better than Maguire. ManUtd can´t get them? I would even prefer Tah (23, Leverkusen) over Maguire.
De Ligt is going to Juve and has turned us down and Koulibaly has turned us down as well, Tah over Maguire, not for me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He can't be all bad if Pep is willing to pay 65M+ for him.
City wanted Sanchez and wanted Fred... it's not the best indicator.

Maguire is both a good all round defender and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.
The big question mark for me would be his pace, but I guess it depends how we set up as a team.

Leicester up until Rogers took over always relied on being a counter attack team, so his involvement in build up would be minimum
As I say, for 80m euros, you'd want the player in question to be high up on the list (at least I would). He isn't, he didn't even technically make the list as his pass completion was less than 90%. He's certainly better than our current options and I don't think many of us would complain about the deal if he was valued at a more realistic price. But he won't fix us and turn us into Liverpool, he's not that caliber of player imo and my memory might be making his performance against Croatia worse than it was. But I remember the English defense shitting itself when the pressure was on, that is a big alarm bell. I should probably watch those highlights again.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think the bigger problem overlooked is not just the quality of defenders we have at the club, but a lack of top quality defensive midfielder.
I think that this is absolutely correct.
Just having Kante in there would have improved the defence hugely and would have seen much more coming from Pogba.

StrettyEnder07

City wanted Sanchez and wanted Fred... it's not the best indicator.

As I say, for 80m euros, you'd want the player in question to be high up on the list (at least I would). He isn't, he didn't even technically make the list as his pass completion was less than 90%. He's certainly better than our current options and I don't think many of us would complain about the deal if he was valued at a more realistic price. But he won't fix us and turn us into Liverpool, he's not that caliber of player imo and my memory might be making his performance against Croatia worse than it was. But I remember the English defense shitting itself when the pressure was on, that is a big alarm bell. I should probably watch those highlights again.
Also wanted Sane, turned Sterling into a world beater, bought Laporte, turned Stones into a very good CB, wanted Bernado Silva, Jesus, Ederson so he is not to bad an indicator.

Fred only had one season, will judge him after this one and Sanchez to be fair anyone who said they seen his dramatic downfall happening is a straight up liar.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Just not a fan and £70m seems like a stretch for me.

Just go with Tuanzebe for now for me. We’re in a rebuild, we’re not challenging next season so just see how he goes.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
BBC have confirmed the 70M bid. Says Maguire is keen to move and Leicester know this but want more than 70M.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just not a fan and £70m seems like a stretch for me.

Just go with Tuanzebe for now for me. We’re in a rebuild, we’re not challenging next season so just see how he goes.
I'd happily clear out Rojo, Jones, Darmian and add maguire.

Crashoutcassius

how have sky sports become so so bad for this stuff. so clearly nothing going on and they are coming up with wierd neck and neck race between ourselves and city
oh i look kinda stupid now

If that number is true then this will surely get done. leicester can't honestly say to maguire that they can't let him go he is worth way more... at a push maybe it moves to 75m VVD level

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Again though, he played in a very counter attack team.
Half of his passed could easily have been 30yrd attempts that failed, as thats what was expected of him.
It's easy for Laporte to rack up the amount of passes and and the accuracy when most of them went to Ederson, Stones, whoever in front of him etc, especially when half the time, the pass he made came right back to him.

As for the Croatia game, I actually don't really remember it, but two of the back three are City players.
As for Magurie turning us into Liverpool. I agree, I don't think he would, but I also think they've done well / got lucky in the market and it's just clicked for them, but I also remember all the stick VVD got on here, months after his transfer with people not rating him at all

$inner_88

This is going to happen isn't it?

Hopefully we can throw a player in to avoid paying any more cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.