Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrettyEnder07

Would be more than happy with that, Premier League experience, commanding, dominating, leader, threat from set plays as well, 70m pretty much the going rate now for anyone decent.

DDG
AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

Very happy with that, if the rumours about Bruno/Longstaff are true could be a decent window, his tactics next season will be interesting.

Djemba-Djemba

Alderweireld for a third of the price, givfe him a 3 yr contract and starting planing to move him on after 2 when the inevitable decline starts. Also gives time for Tuanzebe to develop and us to look for another promising talent if needed. Thats just off the top of my head. It's not like we're nearing deadline day with only Lindelof.
I think with Matic and Sanchez we won't be buying anymore 29/30 year olds for a long time. They've poisoned the well.

And no we're not nearing deadline day but why should that matter?

It's not a good thing to leave everything last minute, we're trying to do business early. That's a good thing.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
What I'd say is, who would you rather have if not Maguire?

We've tried Rojo, Bailly, Blind.. All of which we want sold
If we had our way last year, we'd have wanted Lindelof gone also.

How many people wanted Yerry Mina last season?
People will say, but what about Ruben Dias..... Well what happened to Mangala?
Then we have the likes of Jonathan Tah being thrown into the mix? Great on FM, I can hold my hands up to that also, but how good is he really? I've heard a lot of mixed things about him
Ramognoli, Milenkovic etc. Whose to say these will come in and adjust to the league also

It's easy to throw names about. It's also easy to load up FM and Fifa, take a look and be like yup, this is the guy!
(I'll often look at FM to give me an idea of what a player is expected to be like, but I won't want to buy him just over some numbers)

The problem with a lot of the above names is how good are they actually...right now. Are they yet another defender to be thrown under the bus when they don't adapt to the league well?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Penny for Jose's thoughts if we do sign him having seen him vetoed by the board last summer. Clowns

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think he's pretty medicore, he's very good in the air and is fairly decent with the ball at his feet but he's also found wanting as an actual defender at times and he's pretty slow. I actually despair at our scouting if we honestly think throwing 70m at him is our best option. He's an improvement on Jones/Rojo/Smalling but not by much.

Hopefully he proves me wrong if Leicester (which they should) agree to the bid.

VanGaalEra

How much was it Woody wouldn't pay for him last season because he thought he was no better than our other CB's?

UpWithRivers

I've come around to thinking he will be the best option. Koulibaly was number 1 but they want ridiculous money and he doesn't want to come. Then there are the shit load of prospects that we don't know if they will make it and if they do when. Also you have to add tempermant and prem league experience. We don't need any more disruptive influences and we need leadership.
Alderweild seems a good option but does he want to come and what are his wages demands?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think he's pretty medicore, he's very good in the air and is fairly decent with the ball at his feet but he's also found wanting as an actual defender at times and he's pretty slow. I actually despair at our scouting if we honestly think throwing 70m at him is our best option. He's an improvement on Jones/Rojo/Smalling but not by much.

Yeah I'd agree with this. I think anyone expecting some sort of improvement like Liverpool got when they signing VVD is in for massive disappointment. He's a slight improvement at best on what we have.

onemanarmy

I'm not even sure he's an improvement on Smalling.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I would prefer Koulibaly. But if he's not attainable, then Maguire is the next best thing. He would improve us drastically, and between him and AWB, our back 5 will be looking real solid on paper.

Can7onA

I don't think he's being signed to be the stupidly quick defender, he's being looked at because he can stick his head on anything in the box, something that we've lacked for years since Vidic.

He's also pretty good at bringing the ball out and playing a decent pass, again, something we've lacked for years.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I would prefer Koulibaly. But if he's not attainable, then Maguire is the next best thing. He would improve us drastically, and between him and AWB, our back 5 will be looking real solid on paper.
If Maguire is the next best thing after Koulibaly then there must be feck all decent center backs in Europe right now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm not even sure he's an improvement on Smalling.
He's a much better passer than Smalling, same heading ability but slower and perhaps not as good defensively. But in the modern game, passing is more important right now and although I think Smallings passing ability is over blown at times, its certainly not one of his strengths.

For the record, he's not even a great passer, he's decent but not one of the best in Europe which is what you'd expect by forking out 70m (thats like 80m euros). If you look at stats alone there are many better passers in Europe.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
So "AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw"? Uff! Remembering guys like Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, and Evra. For me, ManUtd was like a strong engine. But yes, i remember the good times of the club. De Ligt and Koulibaly are way better than Maguire. ManUtd can´t get them? I would even prefer Tah (23, Leverkusen) over Maguire.

Celoti23-81

I don't think he's being signed to be the stupidly quick defender, he's being looked at because he can stick his head on anything in the box, something that we've lacked for years since Vidic.

He's also pretty good at bringing the ball out and playing a decent pass, again, something we've lacked for years.
Yeah, since we sold Blind!

ice-bionic red

Near on £180m on that defence, and are any of them really top class?
This is what I think also. But I’ve got to stop thinking like this. I’m always comparing centre backs we are linked with to Rio & Vidic which is unfair. He’s not worth £70m but in this market he is worth £70m! But is he better than what we already have? The answer is yes. He would become a leader for us and our best centre back.

I’d be happy going into the season with wan-bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof & Shaw.

Now hopefully sort the midfield out too

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I agree.

It's a weird one; I just don't think he's a very good defender... It's like people are seeing it as a given, concluding from the fact that he's got a slabhead and he's massive. His best traits are as you say: aerial ability and decent ball playing abilities. His marking, one-on-one dealings etc. hardly stand out.

CM

He's better than what we have and is comfortable playing in the left channel but I just don't think he's worth the level of investment it would take to bring him here. He's more or less hit his ceiling as a footballer, he's never going to be exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.