g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
£85m plus add ons is an unreasonable price meaning he's not for sale. If they're unwilling to negotiate, move on quickly.
Move on to where though? Do we even have any backup target? CB is definitely a position we badly need to reinforce.

I'd rather us overpay for Maguire than Dunk or Ake if we become desperate...

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Kind of impressive Leicester can turn down the money reportedly being offered.
Why? Premier league money, ambitious billionaire owners who aren't in it to make a profit off the club.

Add to that the fact you've only bid £60m, we paid £17m for him and have to pay Hull 15% of any profit. Any replacement is likely to cost us in excess of £35m and I'm sure Harry would be due a hefty "loyalty" fee. All in all, what's the incentive for an ambitious team to sell him exactly? You have to dangle a carrot or incentivise us if you want the player, and that means paying over the odds.

I keep having to repeat this, but people seem to struggle with the fact we are ambitious and not a club like say Burnley, who will take the profit, bank a large chunk of it and buy some cheap replacement because they are happy to tread water.

Ayoub Dahchour

Keep calm please, McGuire will sign for United for sure, but the real problem is that we've lost Bally for 5 months + rehab, and I don't trust in Lindelof and Jones.

stevoc

Why? Premier league money, ambitious billionaire owners who aren't in it to make a profit off the club.

Add to that the fact you've only bid £60m, we paid £17m for him and have to pay Hull 15% of any profit. Any replacement is likely to cost us in excess of £35m and I'm sure Harry would be due a hefty "loyalty" fee. All in all, what's the incentive for an ambitious team to sell him exactly? You have to dangle a carrot or incentivise us if you want the player, and that means paying over the odds.

I keep having to repeat this, but people seem to struggle with the fact we are ambitious and not a club like say Burnley, who will take the profit, bank a large chunk of it and buy some cheap replacement because they are happy to tread water.
You really don't mate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Too much smoke without fire. This will happen IMO.

SATA

Harry needs to throw up a strop now, throw in a transfer request or anything like that if he badly wants the move himself. It seems like we have offered our max valuation of him and Leicester says it's not enough. Show some character and initiative if he wants to come here. Cos he surely knows we aren't going to come back for him next year again

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Move on to where though? Do we even have any backup target? CB is definitely a position we badly need to reinforce.

I'd rather us overpay for Maguire than Dunk or Ake if we become desperate...
Simon Stone says we have alternatives. What's the point of a scouting team if we don't? I am all for overpaying but £85/90m is ridiculous.

Jimmy_Bond

It's all so fragile though, isn't it?

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.

manc_lass13

Transfer Voyeur

One dodgy season and all the top players want to leave, or one incredible season and all the big clubs come and take all your best players.

Football has seen tons of cases like Leicester, and whilst you should undoubtedly enjoy it, it seems a little daft coming to a Man United forum to give it big guns as, whether you like it or not, we will always be above you in the food chain, and will inevitably always be more successful than you no matter how "ambitious" your owners are.

Don't forget, in this case, your player wants to leave. It just seems to have been sidetracked by the fact Unted are in talks to sign one of Europe's best attackers, whilst Leicester wait to see if they need to bid for Lewis Dunk or not.

If this Leicester team is very successful, it will get broken up. If it is incredibly unsuccessful, it will get broken up. The only hope you have of keeping this incredibly "ambitious" team together is if Shankley reincarnated himself leads you to utter mediocrity, as to prevent interest in your players.

Something to mull over before your next post informing us of how great your are and how you're coming to get all the big boys.
Took the words right out of my mouth! Bravo! :drool:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Exactly. I still don't get why people think Leicester should bend over. Leicester know he is our big target, he is on a decent long contract, he has been absolutely key to the success of the club...

Leicester aren't hanging about to be a side hanging on for Premier League status. Rogers can attract a good calibre of player, Leicester play a good style of football and are backed well. With Arsenal, Chelsea and United looking out of sorts, what better time to show ambition?

Leicester player, Leicester price. Fair fecks to them. It's win win for LCFC.

Adisa

I understand it’s high... but In what way is it unreasonable?
The current record for a much better defender is £70m + 5m in add ons. This would beat that record by fifteen feckin million. Don't get me wrong, Leicester are right to demand whatever they want but they're asking for figures nobody will pay and seems they will not negotiate that guaranteed figure. Even City walked away.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Fragile without doubt, but you can't deny that Leicester hold some cards in this little scenario.

Some people think Leicester should just be happy we are giving them a wedge and trot along and be happy with it. Not saying it's where you are coming from like, but you pick up that vibe across the interwebs right now.

Leicester were smart enough to get him on a contract they held some power with....they get to set the parameters of price. Yes, the player wants to leave but you could say the same for Pogba or even Lukaku. We have a price, we aren't budging.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ed must be the only CEO where the price of a player we want actually rises as a result of his negotiating. Every day that passes the price will go up as they know we are desperate and there is no time for any alternatives now, at least not the pace we go.

Adisa

Ed must be the only CEO where the price of a player we want actually rises as a result of his negotiating. Every day that passes the price will go up as they know we are desperate and there is no time for any alternatives now, at least not the pace we go.
The Telegraph article said we have known the price since May and Leicester have refised to negotiate. We are wasting our time.

Mr Smith

Harry needs to throw up a strop now, throw in a transfer request or anything like that if he badly wants the move himself. It seems like we have offered our max valuation of him and Leicester says it's not enough. Show some character and initiative if he wants to come here. Cos he surely knows we aren't going to come back for him next year again
How would this be showing character? If a player did that to us we'd call him a snake.

In my opinion, that fact that he almost certainly won't do what you're suggesting is another reason to want him. Model professional, which we don't have enough of.

Houdini

Go for Umtiti or other CB throw a 100M on Varane, otherwise we end up panick-buying Ake or worse stay with Jones to partner up with Lindelof.

Jimmy_Bond

Fragile without doubt, but you can't deny that Leicester hold some cards in this little scenario.

Some people think Leicester should just be happy we are giving them a wedge and trot along and be happy with it. Not saying it's where you are coming from like, but you pick up that vibe across the interwebs right now.

Leicester were smart enough to get him on a contract they held some power with....they get to set the parameters of price. Yes, the player wants to leave but you could say the same for Pogba or even Lukaku. We have a price, we aren't budging.
Leicester are doing a great job in terms of trying to keep their player, without a doubt, and fair play to them

I guess it comes down to the relationship between the player and board, and what the understanding was when he signed the contract.

If they told him "we want you here for all of these 5 years as we spend loads of money and try to crack the top four," then fair play to them, they're doing exactly what they should.

If it was signed with the understanding of "if you perform well and a big club comes in with a fair offer, we won't stand in your way," then they are being unreasonable. Maguire isn't worth north of £60m in reality, but if they have a sell-on clause asking for £70m is fair enough.

Demanding £90m is incredibly unfair if he's signed a new contract on the understanding of they'd let him leave if a fair offer comes in, as £70m is well above his true value, however some people might try to argue otherwise.

These are details we will never know, but having had a great world cup I can't see why he'd sign a new long term contract with Leicester without foreseeing a get out from that contract if his stock continued to rise, as it clearly has.

SATA

How would this be showing character? If a player did that to us we'd call him a snake.

In my opinion, that fact that he almost certainly won't do what you're suggesting is another reason to want him. Model professional, which we don't have enough of.
A formal transfer request is not akin to going on strike or deliberately missing training or pre-season tours like Laurent Kolscieny. It's just explicitly stating a clear intention to leave, to facilitate things faster

Adisa

A formal transfer request is not akin to going on strike or deliberately missing training or pre-season tours like Laurent Kolscieny. It's just explicitly stating a clear intention to leave, to facilitate things faster
We would still need to meet the price. Why leave himself hanging?
If that's true, we should have identified other targets immediately.
Apparently we have, according to Stone.

tony54

Like many I think Mcquire is over priced.
But a central defender is our biggest need, as well as midfielder, so I think, as ever, that Woodward needs to stop pissing about and get him bought.
What's a 10 million extra over 5 years.
Get your fingers out and get him bought.

George The Best

Think this has all the makings of a deadline day deal, which makes Leicester’s non-negotiation position risky imo. I can see Ed going back in with a slightly improved offer on deadline day. If Harry is to throw a strop that’s the time to do it. Big call for Leicester then. Do they keep an unhappy player or take the offer and scramble for a replacement?

Hammondo

I agree. This is why I’m not too excited about Maguire, would rather us fix the DM this summer, and go for CB next summer. But we have we been seriously linked to any CDM?
Sorry for late reply, I get 5 posts a day xD. We have been linked with no one, but at the same time there is a bit of a lack of really good DM's. City have been looking for a few seasons now. I think our best bet is another up coming DM.

Jcrossley94

Because it would make him the most expensive defender in the world along with one of the most expensive players ever, he isn't that great to begin with, we have other areas to improve so a reasonably priced CB would allow for this
I disagree, but I take your point... so which CB out there do you think we should be in for that would be a more reasonable cost ?

Eric's Seagull

The Telegraph article said we have known the price since May and Leicester have refised to negotiate. We are wasting our time.
Ir this is true I believe we should have moved on long ago. If we have what we deem a fair price we are willing to pay for a player and the club has a set price which maybe e.g £15m, we should move on if they are willing to budge and a believe we should do that with all targets enabling us to get them in sooner and give them more time to get used to Ole's methods and gelling with the team which I believe will make us more successful in the coming season.

NinjaFletch

It's brinkmanship I guess.

Leicester think if they hold firm we'll get desperate and cave. We think that they want the money and Maguire wants the move so will get money off late in the window.

red thru&thru

I'd like Maguire but I'm more than Axel stepping up, which I believe he will. The only problem of not getting Maguire, I just don't think we'd have a consistent back two. Lindelof and All have an okish injury record, however, the rest of our CB's have rubbish records.

Hammondo

Agreed, his value to us might be £40-60m. However, it looks like lack of planning has got us to a position where it seems to be Maguire or nothing. If that is the case, we need to pay the money because:-

1. Going into another season with Smalling, Jones Lindelof does not fill any fan with confidence. Jones cannot stay fit. We have not had a settled back 4 in a while
2. He could form a partnership with lindelof.
3. He plays LCB, currently only Rojo can play there and I defo do not want to see him start.
4. We have a lack of players who can head a ball from corners into our box, Maguire will attack the ball.
5. He knows the PL.

Although he may have glaring weaknesses which have been covered up, the media has hyped him up so much that some people don't realise that he isn't a world beater.

Could he be the difference with us conceding 10 or so goals less?
Sorry for late reply, I get 5 posts a day max.

Playing him with Lindelof is risky, and might not happen even if we get him. Both are slow, both are too similar in strengths and weakness'.

Yes LB cover would be good for us, I agree.

Yea I know he can head, and I know he knows the PL but we need someone whos going to give us what we need in defence. A good version of Baily imo, his physical abilities with more brains.

Adisa

It's brinkmanship I guess.

Leicester think if they hold firm we'll get desperate and cave. We think that they want the money and Maguire wants the move so will get money off late in the window.
Leicester are not going to cave. They don't need the money and he's shown he's not going to down tools. So the only option is us caving to paying £90m. That's an outrageous sum.

romufc

Sorry for late reply, I get 5 posts a day max.

Playing him with Lindelof is risky, and might not happen even if we get him. Both are slow, both are too similar in strengths and weakness'.

Yes LB cover would be good for us, I agree.

Yea I know he can head, and I know he knows the PL but we need someone whos going to give us what we need in defence. A good version of Baily imo, his physical abilities with more brains.
I dont think Linelof is that slow, to be honest Tuanzebe looked good and quick yesterday but opposition has to be taken into consideration.

IMO Lindelof is our best all round defender who stays fit. That's the reason I would have him. But we also have quick full backs to cover.

Hammondo

I dont think Linelof is that slow, to be honest Tuanzebe looked good and quick yesterday but opposition has to be taken into consideration.

IMO Lindelof is our best all round defender who stays fit. That's the reason I would have him. But we also have quick full backs to cover.
Thats true but Maguire + linelof is too slow, Smalling will get played and then it becomes pointless.

Adisa

I'd like Maguire but I'm more than Axel stepping up, which I believe he will. The only problem of not getting Maguire, I just don't think we'd have a consistent back two. Lindelof and All have an okish injury record, however, the rest of our CB's have rubbish records.
I think its more than that. Lindelof, despite improving greatly is still much better at RCB than LCB. The only other natural defender in that position is fecking Rojo. We need a LCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.