Has political correctness actually gone mad?

NotThatSoph

Musk is a twat, but the original guy had a point.
What point? Him saying that he doesn't identify as cis is like saying he doesn't identify as hetero even if he's exclusively attracted to women. Like, fine, but it's weird.

The "imagine if the roles were reversed" is even weirder, because you don't have to imagine. Just look at the comments to basically any random tweet by a trans person.

decorativeed

What point? Him saying that he doesn't identify as cis is like saying he doesn't identify as hetero even if he's exclusively attracted to women. Like, fine, but it's weird.

The "imagine if the roles were reversed" is even weirder, because you don't have to imagine. Just look at the comments to basically any random tweet by a trans person.
I don't really like the word and don't want to pigeonhole myself by applying terms like that to myself. I don't like that this gives me something in common with Rowling and the other TERFs, but in contrast with their rigidity, if other people want to use that to describe themselves (or even me), then I don't care.

This guy seems to want to be allowed to self define, but I'll bet he has a very different stance on someone who wishes to be referred to by pronouns that differ from his definitions of them, however.

NotThatSoph

I don't really like the word and don't want to pigeonhole myself by applying terms like that to myself. I don't like that this gives me something in common with Rowling and the other TERFs, but in contrast with their rigidity, if other people want to use that to describe themselves (or even me), then I don't care.

This guy seems to want to be allowed to self define, but I'll bet he has a very different stance on someone who wishes to be referred to by pronouns that differ from his definitions of them, however.
The equivalent to this guy, or Musk, would not in fact be a trans person wanting to be referred to as the gender they identify as. It would either be a trans man insisting that he's not trans, just a man, or a trans woman insisting that she's not trans, just a woman. And that calling trans people trans is a slur.

You can find those people as well if you look enough, I suppose, but the reception they would get is way worse.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

So you're telling me the bloke is actually non-binary? Fair enough I suppose.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The context is pretty obvious, surely?

You shouldn't use any of these prefixes as an attempt to insult or belittle someone. And if that's happening, the individual at the sharp end of these insults is well within their rights to object.

The weird bit is Musk/Twitter intervening.

Anustart89

J.K Rowling is in for a shock when she hears about cis fats and trans fats, considering that she believes that cis is ideological language.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Surely cis is just a way of clarifying what we mean, usually in a conversation specifically about trans rights/issues. It isn't something you would need in most everyday contexts, but it also isn't insulting is it? No more insulting than trans or hetero or ????

Last edited:

Jotun

Surely cis is just a way of clarifying what we mean, usually in a conversation specifically about trans rights/issues. It isn't something you would need in most everyday contexts, but it also isn't insulting is it? No more insulting than trans of hetero or ????
I don't know, it seems to me a lot of the time it is used in derogatory context. But that is my impression. Imagine calling someone Homo. I can certainly understand if someone would get offended by being labeled if they believe their behaviour is normal/standard. Particularly because cis is a new term (first used in 1994) and most people will not have heard it or learned until fairly recently. Also most of the time it's used in LGBTQ+ discussions, where most conservative people are not a part of. It's a term used to describe conservatives by their political adversaries most of the time. It's no wonder they are resisting it and refusing to accept it.

If you can understand that black people take offense to terms like negro or coloured (neither word is offensive on it's own, but is considered due to historical and political context), I guess you could understand people being offended by cis word.

I believe, right now it's a race in time whether the term will be eventually accepted (because I assume younger generations will own it), or it will be considered offensive due to desire to be politically correct (paradoxally, it seems to me that most offended by this term are opponents of political correctness).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't know, it seems to me a lot of the time it is used in derogatory context. But that is my impression. Imagine calling someone Homo. I can certainly understand if someone would get offended by being labeled if they believe their behaviour is normal/standard. Particularly because cis is a new term (first used in 1994) and most people will not have heard it or learned until fairly recently. Also most of the time it's used in LGBTQ+ discussions, where most conservative people are not a part of. It's a term used to describe conservatives by their political adversaries most of the time. It's no wonder they are resisting it and refusing to accept it.

If you can understand that black people take offense to terms like negro or coloured (neither word is offensive on it's own, but is considered due to historical and political context), I guess you could understand people being offended by cis word.

I believe, right now it's a race in time whether the term will be eventually accepted (because I assume younger generations will own it), or it will be considered offensive due to desire to be politically correct (paradoxally, it seems to me that most offended by this term are opponents of political correctness).
But we refer to people as gay (or whatever the appropriate term) and not homo unless the intent is to insult. As far as I'm aware cis doesn't have negative connotations and I've only ever seen it used to clarify conversations about trans issues. I've never heard it used in everyday conversations where the norm is to use the pronoun of everyone's gender identity (he/she) unless someone requests you to use they.

Jotun

But we refer to people as gay (or whatever the appropriate term) and not homo unless the intent is to insult. As far as I'm aware cis doesn't have negative connotations and I've only ever seen it used to clarify conversations about trans issues. I've never heard it used in everyday conversations where the norm is to use the pronoun of everyone's gender identity (he/she) unless someone requests you to use they.
My personal impression is that the term is often used in inflammatory context (but I guess it's because most often I read it in this thread from an inflammatory tweet). Even if the term is not intended to be insulting, the whole context can lead to people resisting the word.

Isn't there a term in english "Offense isn't given, but taken". Neither terms coloured nor negro were considered offensive at the time, actually they were the polite versions ( at least I believe so, I'm neither american nor old enough to personally verify, but I get this impression from period movies, which is a flawed source in itself). I don't believe someone would use those words to offend, yet they are still considered highly offensive. Remember Cavani and Negrito incident?

If people take offense at the term, isn't it politacally correct not to label them as such?

So basically a new, ugly sounding word, used to describe people that consider themselves normal and healthy, mostly used by their political opponents and people that the first group considers suffering from mental illness or medical condition. As the word is often used by minority people that are often abused by the first group it's no wonder their usage (particularly the most public/viral one) of the word will be in inflammatory context.

I think also the issue is, the group that doesn't like the term, considers them healthy and normal and want to be referred as that. They consider trans people as having mental illness or at least medical condition. I believe they take offense at the term as it implies an equivalence with trans people, meaning by accepting the term it means their gender is also a condition.

I guess if you would go around and talk to your average Joe and call him cis, he'd first not know the term and after explainig he would say: "I ain't any of that cis BS. I'm normal!"

Now, what they actually mean is that they are standard, but there is a whole philosophical and linguistic discussion between what is normal and what is standard behaviour/state/condition.

I'm not at all surprised that the term is controversial. It's possible it will become normal with time as it gets adopted with younger generations. It's also possible it will remain controversial and dependant on political affiliations, but it's possible that it will be considered an insult.

English is not my first language, but I hope I'm managing to explain my self.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
My personal impression is that the term is often used in inflammatory context (but I guess it's because most often I read it in this thread from an inflammatory tweet). Even if the term is not intended to be insulting, the whole context can lead to people resisting the word.

Isn't there a term in english "Offense isn't given, but taken". Neither terms coloured nor negro were considered offensive at the time, actually they were the polite versions ( at least I believe so, I'm neither american nor old enough to personally verify, but I get this impression from period movies, which is a flawed source in itself). I don't believe someone would use those words to offend, yet they are still considered highly offensive. Remember Cavani and Negrito incident?

If people take offense at the term, isn't it politacally correct not to label them as such?

So basically a new, ugly sounding word, used to describe people that consider themselves normal and healthy, mostly used by their political opponents and people that the first group considers suffering from mental illness or medical condition. As the word is often used by minority people that are often abused by the first group it's no wonder their usage (particularly the most public/viral one) of the word will be in inflammatory context.

I think also the issue is, the group that doesn't like the term, considers them healthy and normal and want to be referred as that. They consider trans people as having mental illness or at least medical condition. I believe they take offense at the term as it implies an equivalence with trans people, meaning by accepting the term it means their gender is also a condition.

I guess if you would go around and talk to your average Joe and call him cis, he'd first not know the term and after explainig he would say: "I ain't any of that cis BS. I'm normal!"

Now, what they actually mean is that they are standard, but there is a whole philosophical and linguistic discussion between what is normal and what is standard behaviour/state/condition.

I'm not at all surprised that the term is controversial. It's possible it will become normal with time as it gets adopted with younger generations. It's also possible it will remain controversial and dependant on political affiliations, but it's possible that it will be considered an insult.

English is not my first language, but I hope I'm managing to explain my self.
What you seem to be saying here is that a group that doesn't want to respect other peoples preferred pronouns are very earnest in believing others should respect their preferred adjectives.

cafecillos

Also, aren't the people who take offence at being labelled as cis supposed to be on the opposite side of the culture war to the snowflakes? My understanding was they just love freedom of speech, and they have super thick skin, so they can dish it out, but can also take it.

stevoc

Surely cis is just a way of clarifying what we mean, usually in a conversation specifically about trans rights/issues. It isn't something you would need in most everyday contexts, but it also isn't insulting is it? No more insulting than trans of hetero or ????
You wouldn't think so but a lot on Twitter are pretty sensitive.

It's not something I would ever use to refer to myself but I wouldn't find it insulting or offensive either if anyone else ever used it to refer to me.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I hate Piers, but doesn't one of famous singers(or is it someone from fashion indistry?) actually identifies as a cat?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That South Park episode with Randy playing wheel of fortune was quite far ahead of its time.

hobbers

I prefer calling them squatters and tramps but there you go.

Or better yet, the dwelling-divergent.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This seems mad to me

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ses-restaurant-worker-jonathan-ross-interview

Emily Blunt has apologised for referring to a restaurant worker as “enormous” on a chatshow that aired 11 years ago.

In a resurfaced clip from an episode of The Jonathan Ross Show first broadcast on ITV in September 2012, the star of the summer blockbuster Oppenheimer said a waitress who served her at a Chili’s restaurant in Louisiana was “enormous”.

Emily Blunt apologises for describing restaurant worker as ‘enormous’

Oppenheimer star says she is ‘appalled’ by her remarks in 2012 interview with Jonathan Ross

An edited clip of the exchange appeared on TikTok and X this week, with several online commentators accusing Blunt of being “fatphobic”.

Blunt addressed the controversy in a statement to People magazine, in which she said her “jaw was on the floor” watching the clip. “I was appalled that I would say something so insensitive, hurtful, and unrelated to whatever story I was trying to tell on a talkshow.”

It happened more than a decade ago. Are we gonna force Fergie to apologise for calling R9 fat that one time?

hobbers

Who could have predicted calling an anonymous or even imaginary person fat in 2012 would lead to grovelling to avoid being cancelled in 2023.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This seems mad to me

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ses-restaurant-worker-jonathan-ross-interview

Emily Blunt has apologised for referring to a restaurant worker as “enormous” on a chatshow that aired 11 years ago.

In a resurfaced clip from an episode of The Jonathan Ross Show first broadcast on ITV in September 2012, the star of the summer blockbuster Oppenheimer said a waitress who served her at a Chili’s restaurant in Louisiana was “enormous”.

Oppenheimer star says she is ‘appalled’ by her remarks in 2012 interview with Jonathan Ross

An edited clip of the exchange appeared on TikTok and X this week, with several online commentators accusing Blunt of being “fatphobic”.

Blunt addressed the controversy in a statement to People magazine, in which she said her “jaw was on the floor” watching the clip. “I was appalled that I would say something so insensitive, hurtful, and unrelated to whatever story I was trying to tell on a talkshow.”

It happened more than a decade ago. Are we gonna force Fergie to apologise for calling R9 fat that one time?
Fergie did apologise shortly after

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This seems mad to me

I'm surprised you're surprised at this. It's been established for ages now that the internet has no statute of limitations. Anything you ever say anywhere that can be uploaded online and used against you is fair game for online trolls.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm surprised you're surprised at this. It's been established for ages now that the internet has no statute of limitations. Anything you ever say anywhere that can be uploaded online and used against you is fair game for online trolls.
Is it a big deal though? Not referring to this specifically, because it seems a fairly harmless comment, but I think it's fair to ask public figures about past remarks, even 10 year old ones. If they say "yeah it was insensitive, sorry" then we move on. If they double down, we get to know they still hold questionable views and we can adjust how we spend our money based on that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm surprised nobody has tried to cancel Mike Myers for the fat bastard character

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is it a big deal though? Not referring to this specifically, because it seems a fairly harmless comment, but I think it's fair to ask public figures about past remarks, even 10 year old ones. If they say "yeah it was insensitive, sorry" then we move on. If they double down, we get to know they still hold questionable views and we can adjust how we spend our money based on that.
It's not a big deal, no. Although I do think it's pathetic that anyone would spend any time trawling through decades old content looking for their "gotcha" moment. Get a life.