Have we significantly improved since we got rid of LVG?

DSG

I posted the below on the Home record / form thread:

Happen to agree with Andrerson here, I too believe LVG had more of a plan in place than Jose has currently. Problem with many is that they can't differentiate between a manager doing his job vs doing the job they'd prefer them to do. We might not of liked what LVG was doing but he had his team, tactics and I felt towards the end of the season with Rashford up front scoring regularly we looked a lot more complete team.

I still argue to this day, LVG's biggest mistake was his blind faith in Rooney and his captain always playing, it cost him his job I feel. I mean imagine had he played Rashford up front earlier around Dec / Jan and been scoring more and playing more exciting football.

Jose has performed much worse than LVG so far I feel considering the mess LVG inherited from Moyes, don't think Jose inherited as big a problem as LVG. Considering the players he's managed to sign also too his squad is undeniably better than LVG's too.

"Just for the record, LVG vs Jose Mourinho Home Premier League Records:

LVG
Season 1
P19 W14 D2 L3 GF41 GA15 GD26 PTS44

Season 2
P19 W12 D5 L2 GF27 GA9 GD18 PTS41

Total

P38 W26 D7 L5 GF68 GA24 GD44 PTS85

Jose Mourinho

Season 1
P19 W8 D10 L1 GF26 GA12 GD14 PTS34

Current Season
P13 W10 D2 L1 GF29 GA5 GD24 PTS32

Total
P32 W18 D12 L2 GF55 GA17 GD38 PTS66

So even if Jose was to manage to perform a miracle and win his remaining 6 home games this season (he won't), he'd still be a point worse off than LVG.

I also judge it on PL only as the PL is our bread and butter and its our most important competition, I always want to finish as high up in the league as possible personally.

So Jose apologists, wrap your head around those numbers and try justify them."
Hilarious. The ol' saying: you could have one foot in a block of ice, one in fire and a statistician will tell you you are perfectly comfortable.

There are three pretty big components you are missing: away performance, trophies and league position. I guess if I use the full picture, then I'm a Jose apologist?

And a word to the LvG nostalgists out there. You aren't going to convince me. I watched every match. LvGs style of play meant we were toothless in the attacking third AND in the counter attack. At least now we have a solid counter attack.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In a way I agree, but the principles of what LVG wanted and what Pep does with his teams are the same. I think the media made too much out of what LVG said and it took on new life under the fans. Like the he’d rather a player take a touch then shoot. Morphed in to he doesn’t want anyone taking first time shots. Simply he was being pragmatic and pointing out if a player takes a touch sets himself he has a better chance of getting a shot on target. A thing that also gets forgotten is we had a really young and untested frontline still finding their way in the game. At times they had moments of really really good play. I think their lack of experience and the lack of any real quality in midfield led to just this doubtful front 6 that didn’t seem to trust each other hence the very static boring football.

LVG also mentioned time and time again that he wanted a faster tempo.

That sounds very similar to Valencia now except add in Young, Shaw, Martial to the list with him.
He may have wanted a faster tempo but he bought the likes of schneiderlin, schweinsteiger and kept Fellaini around. He talked about tempo but kept faith with Rooney. I found that there was a lot of hypocrisy from lvgs management. Also he got pissed that no one else was getting how smart his philosophy was, yet refused to adapt to the PL demands

Put simply, he ruined my love of football with his dour approach & should have been sacked after that run around Christmas when we were losing to bloody Norwich etc

dirkey

While I appreciate the struggle of sitting through the LVG tenure, we are hardly that much better off. People really are turning a blind eye to the actual results and performances going on this season.

You do realize we've only managed 4 goals in our last 5 matches right? In those 5 matches we amassed a whopping 12 shots on target. How does that constitute improved performance and entertainment? It isn't just in recent weeks either this has been going on consistently throughout the season, we can go back to the Liverpool match at Anfield and I believe we managed 1 shot on target in the dying mins of the game?

As for trophies, lets be honest the league cup is just 1 above the charity shield and we were blessed to win that on the day. Jose apologized to Southampton for robbing them post match. I was happy with the Europa win but again it was a cup win that saved his backside and gave us CL entry via the back door.

As a mate of mine always says of cups, its luck of the draw too. I mean in the last 5 years we've seen Wigan, Hull, Villa, Palace (FA Cup), Swansea, Bradford, Sunderland (League Cup) and Dnipro & Ajax (Europa) make cup finals or win cups. Hardly great sides are they?
We've already outscored Louis' team in the league this season compared to his last season. It's night and day in terms of performance and entertainment. Are we there yet? God no. There's a lot more that needs to come. But I think people have short memories in terms of just how bad things were under Louis.

In those 5 matches, we amassed 12 shots on target. Fair enough. That was about the average for Louis games for his duration from my memory! It was utter tripe. And then he'd have the audacity to claim we were "dominating matches". Because we were holding the ball, passing it around in midfield and having about 1-2 shots more than our opponents in general. At least Jose knows we're not playing well.

dirkey

A bit of a slump during an injury hit period doesn't write off the progress we've made.

A bit of perspective:

We lost away to Tottenham and didn't play well
We lost away to Newcastle and didn't play well.
We drew a tough Champions League away match in Spain against a revitalised Sevilla.

We've won all of our last 10 games aside from the three games mentioned, scored 16 and conceded none. We're in the quarter finals of the FA Cup and have a home advantage to hopefully reach the quarter finals of the Champions League. Oh and still we sit in second.

Are we where we want to be? Of course not, is the football perfect? Hell no. We've come a fecking long way though and I think fans forget just how bad things have got if they think we're not making progress. I'd have sold my own mother if you offered me to be in this position at the same time of the season in Moyes' first year and Van Gaal's second.
Absolutely this. Well put. And some actual perspective. It's amazing how miserable people become around here after a few bad results. It's downright pathetic.

Although, I shouldn't be surprised. Just look at the matchday thread - people calling for Jose to be sacked when we go a goal down to Chelsea.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
A thing that also gets forgotten is we had a really young and untested frontline still finding their way in the game. At times they had moments of really really good play. I think their lack of experience and the lack of any real quality in midfield led to just this doubtful front 6 that didn’t seem to trust each other hence the very static boring football.
This isn't remotely true though. LvG inherited Rooney and van Persie, added Falcao and Di Maria, and chose to bin off Welbeck, Hernandez and Nani. We were left, if anything, with an ageing front-line on the decline, with the support coming from a player who didn't really want to be here and that downed tools at the earliest opportunity.

Even after adding Memphis and Martial, faith in the former was lost very quickly, and the midfield options to support them consisted of Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Blind and Carrick, with Herrera the only really mobile player among the midfielders.

dirkey

I think LVG would have been doing much better. He had a philosophy, a plan - even if the initial execution was torturous.
He would have vastly improved, Shaw, Rash and Martial. Young talented players who could be the mainstay of our team for quite a few years - saving the club money in the process.

Instead Jose wants old overpaid players who cost a lot in salary and have nothing to offer to our future and will be expensive to replace as well. I doubt LVG would be doing that.

LVG would have succeeded I believe if he didn't have to deal with club politics, and our disgusting excuse of a press pack.

In any case, I hardly see any improvement, bar the trophies won last season (LVG also won a trophy as well). Jose has no philosophy and is alienating and mis-managing our young, talented players. So for me, we're in a worse situation.
Ah yes. That old lie, that Jose doesn't play young players. Despite Rashford and Martial being behind only Lukaku in terms of performances this year.

dirkey

Take in to account the things he was missing, someone to take the ball out of midfield, a right winger which would have been DiMarias position, had to put Martial on the left due to the poor form of Depay and the emergence of Rashford. Yet we controlled games, seemed to understand our jobs and were only a few quality additions away from the team LVG wanted.
When people come out with stats like that it to me is so short sighted. If LVG had his same team with the additions we have Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, Lindelof he’d at least have this team playing football in a way that suits its personnel other than what we see now.

I also don’t agree with this notion being peddled by some that we were good first half of the season. We really weren’t even that Swansea game people like to laud we played poorly. Some people clearly just blinded by results.
Ah, i see you bought into the rubbish Louis used spout. Controlled games. We used pass the ball sideways for most of the game. Teams realised they could drop off and let us have the ball as we were completely and utterly toothless. Hence scoring 49 goals in 38 games. We used have about 1-2 shots more than the opposition. That's not controlling a game. Having possession without intent / cutting edge is not controlling a game.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I think people have truly forgotten just how bad we were back in 15/16. There was a period (Oct-Feb) in that season where we recorded this:

17 PL games; 5 wins; 7 draws; 5 losses; 18 GF; 16 GA; Pts 22; GD +2

That's relegation form for nearly half the season and there are people here who think who haven't improved from this?

Our European record during this period read like this:

5 Played: 1 win; 2 draws; 2 losses; 5 GF; 6 GA; Pts 5; GD -1

Domestic record:

3 Played; 2 wins; 1 loss; GF 4; GA 1; GD +3

In total, during this period, we played 25 games, managed 8 fecking wins and scored 27 goals. I didn't cherry pick games, this was 25 consecutive games where we played soul destroying football.

dirkey

Yeah he had to replace pretty much half of a finished team and build a base that he could build upon.
So are you saying that even if he had Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku and so on that team would be no different and again just pass it about between themselves for the sake of it.

Really I think people need to look at the situation as it was, he was actually in a proper rebuild, Jose is/ was not.

The a,punt of excuses that get peddled out for Jose are really grinding, do I think Jose should and could be doing better then yes. Did I see more of a future under LVG yes because it actually looked like he was working towards something. The performances now for me are worse and have shown a regression in our football understanding.
Good God. Are you joking? Look at the crap Louis bought! Of course Jose is in a full rebuild. People just don't realise that, they think that because he's spent a lot of money we should be better than where we are. They don't look at how bad things were before he came in for some reason.

Aging rubbish big name players, big name players with no bottle, and players who had no right being in a United shirt. That's basically who Louis bought. He did get Martial right, I'll give him that.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The big difference for me is that we no longer allow the opposition midfielders to run 40-50 yards unchallenged from their half to the edge of our box.

Under LVG I felt like screaming every time that happened... So this was 20 times per home game

Andersons Dietician

This isn't remotely true though. LvG inherited Rooney and van Persie, added Falcao and Di Maria, and chose to bin off Welbeck, Hernandez and Nani. We were left, if anything, with an ageing front-line on the decline, with the support coming from a player who didn't really want to be here and that downed tools at the earliest opportunity.

Even after adding Memphis and Martial, faith in the former was lost very quickly, and the midfield options to support them consisted of Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Blind and Carrick, with Herrera the only really mobile player among the midfielders.
In the 2nd season tho the one he was ultimately fired in. It was shortsighted of LVG to leave himself short handed and he has even sited the transfer failings. Also DiMaria probably would have been a large part of the plan going in to the 2nd season only for him to refuse to fly out for training.

Giggsyking

a little, and it is due to the better squad we have now compared to the squad we had with LVG.

dirkey

Wow, some people really can't take on board what they are reading and then go off and decide he's just "skewing" stats.

How on earth is taking a like for like comparison skewing stats? I literally just put in black an white LVG's 1st and 2nd seasons home form and then his overall home form vs Jose's 1st and this current season and his overall home form.. That's like for like.

As I also pointed out, but you some too ignorant to read and take on board, Even if Jose was to win his remaining home games this term it'd still be 1 point less than LVG's overall home record, how in the blue hell is that skewing numbers?

It's cold hard facts put down in black n white and then the Jose apologists come up with such insightful replies as laughing gifs? Really? That's the best defence of Jose is it? Well its not like you can use facts like I did as it'd prove my point, wouldn't it? If your going to defend Jose by all means put some thought into it and nothing something as childish as laughing gifs, Its a discussion forum after all isn't it?
OK. So, we're only considering home form? I wonder why. Hmm, could it be for this reason, let's look at away form:

2017/18 14 7 3 4 22 14 24 1.714286
2016/17 19 10 5 4 28 17 35 1.842105
2015/16 19 7 4 8 22 26 25 1.315789
2014/15 19 6 8 5 21 22 26 1.368421

So, Louis, in his 2 seasons away from home had minus goal difference. Negative goal difference. Scored less goals than conceded. Sorry to keep hammering that in, I feel it's worth mentioning. He had 51 points. Jose, with 5 away games remaining has 59.

Yes, I'd say you're completely and utterly skewing your facts.

Louis had 136 points in 76 games. Which is 1.79 points per game.
Jose has 128 points in 66 games. Which is 1.94 points per game.

Jose has 8 points less than Louis, from 10 games less.

Stop skewing your stats to prove your point. United play games away from home as well as at home. Look at things in totality before making claims please.

This is not even going into the better record in other competitions.

dirkey

The whole 'at least LVG had a plan and style of playing football' is all well and good until you realise that plan wasn't working and wasn't ever going to work.
Such a fantastic and well put point.

Infra-red

The football we played in Van Gaal's second season was the worst I have seen from any United side in the last 25 years. It was utterly soul-destroying.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The football we played in Van Gaal's second season was the worst I have seen from any United side in the last 25 years. It was utterly soul-destroying.
There is no room to debate there. Please explain why :) :p

Nikelesh Reddy

Hilarious. The ol' saying: you could have one foot in a block of ice, one in fire and a statistician will tell you you are perfectly comfortable.

There are three pretty big components you are missing: away performance, trophies and league position. I guess if I use the full picture, then I'm a Jose apologist?

And a word to the LvG nostalgists out there. You aren't going to convince me. I watched every match. LvGs style of play meant we were toothless in the attacking third AND in the counter attack. At least now we have a solid counter attack.
It's utterly pointless to compare the points tally of this season with seasons gone by,the dynamic of the league changes every season so a good points tally this season,may be regarded as very poor 2 seasons from now.For example,we ended up with 79 points in the treble winning season of 1999...So if we finish this season with 83 points,would you say that this United team is better than the team of 99?!!

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
In the 2nd season tho the one he was ultimately fired in. It was shortsighted of LVG to leave himself short handed and he has even sited the transfer failings. Also DiMaria probably would have been a large part of the plan going in to the 2nd season only for him to refuse to fly out for training.
I really don't get your point.

van Gaal inherited two very experienced strikers, both probably on the wrong side of their peak, in Rooney and van Persie. He added to that experience by loaning in Falcao. We also had Mata, Januzaj, Young and Valencia available in supporting roles, adding Di Maria to that mix. He also chose to loan out Nani and Hernandez, and sell Welbeck. The only inexperienced player in there is Januzaj, who barely featured after falling out of favour early in the season.

By his second season, it became apparent that the Falcao experiment had failed, Di Maria (who didn't really want to sign for us in the first place) was also let go, with van Persie, Nani and Hernandez joining him at the exit. Januzaj was also sent out on loan. Valencia and Young had already begun their transitions to full-backs by this time, leaving us with Rooney as the only experienced striker, and Mata as the only experienced support option, both of which were heavily relied upon. Memphis was brought in and dropped as soon as he had a dip in form, and Martial was brought in and left to perform miracles to drag us through the season. Stumbling on Rashford in February or whenever it happened was purely accidental, and Lingard was shunted all over the pitch, playing everywhere from wing-back to striker.

van Gaal may have been left a bit light with his attacking options, but that was entirely his own doing. He signed players that were either not good enough, didn't want to be here, or that he didn't trust, and sold players that were at the very least capable of performing as backup options leaving us with little depth. The midfield was incredibly immobile, and the tactics he utilised shackled the defense to staying on one side of the halfway line.

There are no excuses to be made for the static, boring, ineffective, and generally appalling football we played under van Gaal, because literally every aspect of it was entirely his doing. He inherited a squad in need of rejuvenation with an injection of young talent and experienced quality, and instead he stripped it down to its bare bones, attempting to prop it up with a few dependable but uninspiring utility players. On top of this, he adopted a scattergun approach to signing attackers, out of which were lucky that Martial turned out as he did. Had he not settled as quickly (which wouldn't have been at all surprising giving his age), we'd have likely seen him dropped to the fringes of the team, and plying his trade back on the continent by now, with our league and cup performances even more insipid as a result.

Andersons Dietician

I really don't get your point.

van Gaal inherited two very experienced strikers, both probably on the wrong side of their peak, in Rooney and van Persie. He added to that experience by loaning in Falcao. We also had Mata, Januzaj, Young and Valencia available in supporting roles, adding Di Maria to that mix. He also chose to loan out Nani and Hernandez, and sell Welbeck. The only inexperienced player in there is Januzaj, who barely featured after falling out of favour early in the season.

By his second season, it became apparent that the Falcao experiment had failed, Di Maria (who didn't really want to sign for us in the first place) was also let go, with van Persie, Nani and Hernandez joining him at the exit. Januzaj was also sent out on loan. Valencia and Young had already begun their transitions to full-backs by this time, leaving us with Rooney as the only experienced striker, and Mata as the only experienced support option, both of which were heavily relied upon. Memphis was brought in and dropped as soon as he had a dip in form, and Martial was brought in and left to perform miracles to drag us through the season. Stumbling on Rashford in February or whenever it happened was purely accidental, and Lingard was shunted all over the pitch, playing everywhere from wing-back to striker.

van Gaal may have been left a bit light with his attacking options, but that was entirely his own doing. He signed players that were either not good enough, didn't want to be here, or that he didn't trust, and sold players that were at the very least capable of performing as backup options leaving us with little depth. The midfield was incredibly immobile, and the tactics he utilised shackled the defense to staying on one side of the halfway line.

There are no excuses to be made for the static, boring, ineffective, and generally appalling football we played under van Gaal, because literally every aspect of it was entirely his doing. He inherited a squad in need of rejuvenation with an injection of young talent and experienced quality, and instead he stripped it down to its bare bones, attempting to prop it up with a few dependable but uninspiring utility players. On top of this, he adopted a scattergun approach to signing attackers, out of which were lucky that Martial turned out as he did. Had he not settled as quickly (which wouldn't have been at all surprising giving his age), we'd have likely seen him dropped to the fringes of the team, and plying his trade back on the continent by now, with our league and cup performances even more insipid as a result.
My point is and still is that in the 2nd season we were relying on Depay,Martial and Mata as the front 3 with Rooney changing to an attacking mid, then after injuries we relied on Martial, Rashford and Lingard to perform and do things that even after two years with a different coach they still aren’t doing.

There movement wasn’t smart enough up front and when it was our midfielders never pulled the trigger. I’m saying that he left himself in a poor way, that’s his fault but the poor football wasn’t down to his instruction as many like to make out. But referring back to your original point about mentality in that 2nd year he’d left himself with a very inexperienced frontline. Which didn’t have the experience or know how to execute what was required.

Josep Dowling

Things going in LVG’s favour:

1) He got rid of a lot of stagnant players at the club, although I think he sold too many in one go and as a result got really poor selling prices for them.

In hindsight could you really argue with any of them? Welbeck, Kagawa, Chicharito, Evans, W Keane, Rafael. I think these are the main 6 that many complained he sold. Apart from a lack of profit in transfers none of these players have done anything since they left the club.

2) Home form was very good

3) His record against the top 4 was excellent and 2 Premier League wins in a row at Anfield was a highlight

4) Back on track with a trophy

However all the above does not compensate the fact his tenure nearly turned me off watching United. We had months of 1-0 wins with one shot on target despite 60% possession in most games. It was truly awful.

In favour of Mourinho

1) Signing a better calibre of player, not just ‘negotiating’ for them only to look like fools. This may be in part to Ed Woodward being more experienced in transfers

2) The best players in our team are his signing

3) First United manager to win a trophy in his first season

4) Whilst I am not fully enjoying our current style of play there is progress. The table doesn’t lie, we have been second for much of the season now.

I believe Mourinho is the right man for the job. There are still gaps in our squad which I find quite staggering with the money spent but that’s football these days. If we get a RW I think this will make our attack more fluid. LB needs to be sorted if he still doesn’t trust Shaw next season.

As a fan it’s hard to be patient and this is the problem. We are going in the right direction but many (including myself) see a team like City go from sub standard to superhuman in the space of 12 months and question why we can’t do it as well.

If people don’t want Jose who do they really want here? Guardiola and Klopp can never sign because of their clubs. Ancelotti would last at most 2 years before leaving. Pochettino has no experience with a big club and has never lifts a trophy despite the style of football he plays. I don’t think there are any better options at the moment.

Puddser

The stats are thus:

LVG average points per home game, season 1 : 2.3
LVG average points per home game, season 2 : 2.16

Mourinho average points per home game, season 1: 1.79
Mourinho average points per home game, season 2 so far: 2.5

Now you're trying to argue that we haven't improved from LVG, based on Mourinho's home game stats.

Firstly, I'll ignore that you're sweeping LVG's away stats under the carpet, since they're too awful for even you to mention. (13 away league wins over 2 seasons, Jose managed 10 in his first).

Next, now maybe you aren't skewing the numbers, but you are intentionally giving absolutely no weighting to the fact that Mourinho's stats in his second season are markedly improved from his first. Improved actually to the point where he has even surpassed LVG's best home average for a season. Calling people "ignorant" for not blindly accepting the message you're trying to make with your stats is pretty pathetic when you're willfully only telling half the story, and are only using stats from last season to try and obscure the fact that his stats from this season are actually excellent.
Where did I say we haven't improved? The discussion is "significant" improvement? Give me a break with your avg points nonsense, just deal in points full stop. Even if Jose was to win the last 5 home games this season he's still 1 point less than what LVG managed, there its that simple. Why complicate it with averages? Is the Premier league decided on averages? No. So its an invalid point to make.

No I'm not ignoring his away from, as clearly stated, I posted the home form discussion thread. Why on earth would I discuss away form on a thread about home form?

Overall we've improved sure, but not significantly or improvement enough that justifies a €300m investment with the "Special One" who is a premier league proven manager? Not for me at all sorry. I mean Liverpool and Spurs who have far less resources are right behind us having spent less and they look the sum of their part as a team.

Hilarious? Not at all, feel free to read and actually take on board what I posted. It was posted on a home form discussion thread. I simple posted facts about our home form in recent seasons, no more no less.

Overall of course we've scored more but that's the least we should expect considering the investment Jose has made? Still in his infinite wisdom he plays our most creative player Pogba out of position and managed a whopping 13 league goals from Lukaku a €90m investment. How we laughed at Liverpool for signing Salah hey ;)

Reality is most of our problems are of Jose's making but, there are those that refuse to accept that. It's a continuation of square pegs, round holes with redundant wingers at fullback and creative midfielders stuck defending.

We've already outscored Louis' team in the league this season compared to his last season. It's night and day in terms of performance and entertainment. Are we there yet? God no. There's a lot more that needs to come. But I think people have short memories in terms of just how bad things were under Louis.

In those 5 matches, we amassed 12 shots on target. Fair enough. That was about the average for Louis games for his duration from my memory! It was utter tripe. And then he'd have the audacity to claim we were "dominating matches". Because we were holding the ball, passing it around in midfield and having about 1-2 shots more than our opponents in general. At least Jose knows we're not playing well.
OK. So, we're only considering home form? I wonder why. Hmm, could it be for this reason, let's look at away form:

2017/18 14 7 3 4 22 14 24 1.714286
2016/17 19 10 5 4 28 17 35 1.842105
2015/16 19 7 4 8 22 26 25 1.315789
2014/15 19 6 8 5 21 22 26 1.368421

So, Louis, in his 2 seasons away from home had minus goal difference. Negative goal difference. Scored less goals than conceded. Sorry to keep hammering that in, I feel it's worth mentioning. He had 51 points. Jose, with 5 away games remaining has 59.

Yes, I'd say you're completely and utterly skewing your facts.

Louis had 136 points in 76 games. Which is 1.79 points per game.
Jose has 128 points in 66 games. Which is 1.94 points per game.

Jose has 8 points less than Louis, from 10 games less.

Stop skewing your stats to prove your point. United play games away from home as well as at home. Look at things in totality before making claims please.

This is not even going into the better record in other competitions.
Skewing lol from another poster using averages. What have averages got to do with it? I'm simply using point totals. Clutching at straws by bringing out the averages.

Again.... It was a post about our home form....from a thread about... Our home form! Not sure why people have such difficulty understanding this?

Come May and the end of our season, both managers would of had 2 years of PL home matches and to repeat myself yet again here, if we were to win 5 from 5 its still a point worse off than LVG. There's also a possibility that this current Jose tenure could of been outscored at home by the dinosaur and bore that was LVG... Yet fans roared "Attack, attack, attack" and now choice to ignore it when its Jose.

Overall there's improvement but even you've said yourself above were not there yet. If he were to finish outside the top 4, why shouldn't he go? Why should he get a reprieve? I'd suggest its a far greater failure than LVG considering the level of investment, player availability and from a proven manager. Is that not a fair point?

I'll say no more on the matter, simply proved a point its nowhere near as good as some make out. Facts are there, ignore them if you want.

golden_blunder

Staff
My point is and still is that in the 2nd season we were relying on Depay,Martial and Mata as the front 3 with Rooney changing to an attacking mid, then after injuries we relied on Martial, Rashford and Lingard to perform and do things that even after two years with a different coach they still aren’t doing.

There movement wasn’t smart enough up front and when it was our midfielders never pulled the trigger. I’m saying that he left himself in a poor way, that’s his fault but the poor football wasn’t down to his instruction as many like to make out. But referring back to your original point about mentality in that 2nd year he’d left himself with a very inexperienced frontline. Which didn’t have the experience or know how to execute what was required.
Huh? Martial and lingard have been very good this season. Only Rashford has regressed a bit due to lack of playing time.

Who’s instruction was it down to then? As far as I could see and read from insiders he drilled, drilled, drilled movements down to where exactly they should be standing ‘in each moment’. He sat writing notes constantly on his clipboard which he then used to tell the players off when they made the smallest mistake.

There is no mistake about it, the team were following his instructions to produce this anti-football every bit as Moyes team were following his instructions to cross a billion times to the big man up front.

Puddser

Huh? Martial and lingard have been very good this season. Only Rashford has regressed a bit due to lack of playing time.

Who’s instruction was it down to then? As far as I could see and read from insiders he drilled, drilled, drilled movements down to where exactly they should be standing ‘in each moment’. He sat writing notes constantly on his clipboard which he then used to tell the players off when they made the smallest mistake.

There is no mistake about it, the team were following his instructions to produce this anti-football every bit as Moyes team were following his instructions to cross a billion times to the big man up front.
Well if were using that logic Golden.......First bold part: You mean Martial who was in his undoubted best form for the club since his start by scoring 3 and setting up 2 in 4 matches pre Sanchez signing only to be shunted to the RW, A position he has only played a total of 8 times in his young career thus far. In the following 6 games since he's been on the bench 3 times and unused on one of those occasions.

Right back atcha, who's instruction was it down to then?

Also, its incredible how personal feelings block intelligent thought when debating. I'd be confident in thinking you clearly disliked LVG and have a soft spot for Jose.

Last season we finished 4th for Crosses in the Premier League with 848. Only Swansea (864), Palace (872) and Southampton (947) attempted more.

This isn't a once off either as this season we've "improved" our crossing stats and sit 3rd currently with 580 Attempted Crosses and only Southampton (597) and Spurs (631) sit ahead of us.

So, now you know the above... Is it just a happy coincidence all these crosses happen or is there no mistake about it, Jose too is anti football? Clearly we are following Jose's instruction to cross it to Big Rom up front? No?

PS: For the record Moyes led United attempted exactly 1000 crosses in his forgettable season here. Auld Jose had a bloody good bash at breaking that though last season didn't he? ;)

Last edited:

dirkey

Skewing lol from another poster using averages. What have averages got to do with it? I'm simply using point totals. Clutching at straws by bringing out the averages.

Again.... It was a post about our home form....from a thread about... Our home form! Not sure why people have such difficulty understanding this?

Come May and the end of our season, both managers would of had 2 years of PL home matches and to repeat myself yet again here, if we were to win 5 from 5 its still a point worse off than LVG. There's also a possibility that this current Jose tenure could of been outscored at home by the dinosaur and bore that was LVG... Yet fans roared "Attack, attack, attack" and now choice to ignore it when its Jose.

Overall there's improvement but even you've said yourself above were not there yet. If he were to finish outside the top 4, why shouldn't he go? Why should he get a reprieve? I'd suggest its a far greater failure than LVG considering the level of investment, player availability and from a proven manager. Is that not a fair point?

I'll say no more on the matter, simply proved a point its nowhere near as good as some make out. Facts are there, ignore them if you want.
You're only using certain facts though. You're only using home form. Sure, you posted it on a home thread, but then you posted it here, which is about improvement. So basically, you're choosing 1 piece of data as the facts. You're not talking about the overall picture when you talk about home form, that's why I, and others, mention that you're skewing / cherry picking.

Jose is already close to beating out Louis' points total over the course of 2 seasons, and as I said above, that's not even taking into account an already better trophy haul too. And a better record in the Champions League.

If he were to finish outside the top 4 - that's a different argument. This is about whether or not we've improved. We've improved in basically every single regard, apart from home record, as you point out. The football is better to most people's eye, we create more chances, we score more goals, we've got better players etc.

Yes, we're not there yet. But again, that's not the point of this thread, which is whether or not we have significantly improved. And we have.

Level of investment and player quality is an interesting point. For me, I'd look at what Jose has done as a massive positive in this regard, I certainly wouldn't be using it as evidence we're failing more than LVG due to the level of players. I'd say that Jose has invested in players who have a right to regularly wear the red shirt. He's attracted top level, world class talent. He has a good eye for talent.

Louis was given huge funds, and he failed spectacularly to bring in good players. So yep, another way we've improved significantly since LVG, thanks for pointing that out ;)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We have improved since Mou came. However the key word here is 'significantly'. That's open to debate

I think Mou's game is far more effective then LVG's one and he's way better in terms of buying players. However, I can't help feeling that his game is getting old and that certain issues which were quite evident in LVG's obsolete football like cracking up opposition defences or fitting players into an effective system are starting to show up. Mou is not the special one anymore.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Of course it was down to LvG's tactics and instructions, as clearly evidenced by the differences in how pretty much every single player in his squad performed prior to his arrival/their signing, how they performed during their time under him, and how they've performed since he's gone/they left.

I'm finding it incredibly odd that you're singling out Martial and Rashford as players failing to perform to standard, when they were pretty much the two standout performers from that season. As for your analysis of our changing line-up, it doesn't even resemble reality. Martial played in 31 league games, Mata all 38, and Rooney 29. Even Memphis managed 29 league appearances (although his were split 16/13 between starts and subs, while the others were majority starts). Any changes to the attacking line-up certainly weren't forced through injury. Mata was a constant feature, Rooney and Martial near constant features, and Rashford very much earned his way into the side by performing to a very high standard. Lingard's the only one left there, and he was used very consistently as a utility player by van Gaal, featuring all over the pitch, never regularly slotting into the front-line.

Rashford managed 8 goals in 18 starts, and Martial was our top scorer. What exactly were they failing to do? The fact that van Gaal repeatedly defended his philosophy and claimed to have dominated games in which United managed fewer than 3 shots on goal just adds further proof that he very much wanted us to play the way were playing.

The poor football was absolutely van Gaal's fault, and without young players like Martial and Rashford surprising us as they did, it would have looked a whole lot worse. For you to be throwing them under the bus in a weird attempt at defending van Gaal is baffling.

Andersons Dietician

Of course it was down to LvG's tactics and instructions, as clearly evidenced by the differences in how pretty much every single player in his squad performed prior to his arrival/their signing, how they performed during their time under him, and how they've performed since he's gone/they left.

I'm finding it incredibly odd that you're singling out Martial and Rashford as players failing to perform to standard, when they were pretty much the two standout performers from that season. As for your analysis of our changing line-up, it doesn't even resemble reality. Martial played in 31 league games, Mata all 38, and Rooney 29. Even Memphis managed 29 league appearances (although his were split 16/13 between starts and subs, while the others were majority starts). Any changes to the attacking line-up certainly weren't forced through injury. Mata was a constant feature, Rooney and Martial near constant features, and Rashford very much earned his way into the side by performing to a very high standard. Lingard's the only one left there, and he was used very consistently as a utility player by van Gaal, featuring all over the pitch, never regularly slotting into the front-line.

Rashford managed 8 goals in 18 starts, and Martial was our top scorer. What exactly were they failing to do? The fact that van Gaal repeatedly defended his philosophy and claimed to have dominated games in which United managed fewer than 3 shots on goal just adds further proof that he very much wanted us to play the way were playing.

The poor football was absolutely van Gaal's fault, and without young players like Martial and Rashford surprising us as they did, it would have looked a whole lot worse. For you to be throwing them under the bus in a weird attempt at defending van Gaal is baffling.
They didn’t play as a unit, they didn’t create the options and runs required, they also didn’t press as a unit. For me they all performed well but there is a difference between an individual performance and a unit doing the things to unsettle teams. Which they were to green to do or even really be expected to do.

LVG’s football is a lot more complicated than what say Jose has us do, there is far more intelligence involved in it. Those guys just simply weren’t ready. LVG’s system was dependent on the team doing their jobs. Also most modern managers have their players hold positions, stay in zones for example Pep,Poch,Sarri,Bielsa,Cruyff,LVG and many many more.

golden_blunder

Staff

If I could like your post I would

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We definitely have. The one thing that's really missing for me is a consistent starting 11 and formation. Mourinho's taken too long with that and it's cost us.

golden_blunder

Staff
Well if were using that logic Golden.......First bold part: You mean Martial who was in his undoubted best form for the club since his start by scoring 3 and setting up 2 in 4 matches pre Sanchez signing only to be shunted to the RW, A position he has only played a total of 8 times in his young career thus far. In the following 6 games since he's been on the bench 3 times and unused on one of those occasions.

Right back atcha, who's instruction was it down to then?

Also, its incredible how personal feelings block intelligent thought when debating. I'd be confident in thinking you clearly disliked LVG and have a soft spot for Jose.

Last season we finished 4th for Crosses in the Premier League with 848. Only Swansea (864), Palace (872) and Southampton (947) attempted more.

This isn't a once off either as this season we've "improved" our crossing stats and sit 3rd currently with 580 Attempted Crosses and only Southampton (597) and Spurs (631) sit ahead of us.

So, now you know the above... Is it just a happy coincidence all these crosses happen or is there no mistake about it, Jose too is anti football? Clearly we are following Jose's instruction to cross it to Big Rom up front? No?

PS: For the record Moyes led United attempted exactly 1000 crosses in his forgettable season here. Auld Jose had a bloody good bash at breaking that though last season didn't he? ;)
You’re a newbie so you probably weren’t around but actually I was an advocate of Lvg coming in, even had it on my location. However 2 seasons in, I couldn’t take it anymore. He basically turned me off from watching united and I won’t forgive that

I’m not a fan of Jose’s style either but I recognize that he has experienced winning the Pl several times so prepared to give him more time (discounting the fact that we have clearly progressed). The 3rd season will be all important - make or break I reckon

Also go back to the point about martial and what I was responding to

buckooo1978

we clearly have.....

Van Gaal's second season was worse than Moyes for me - there were plenty of games we had 1/2 shots on target

certainly the most boring side I've seen in my lifetime

Mourinho has had his moments this season with his negative reactive approach but we are still creating plenty of chances in most games (February was not a great month though)

interestingly when Mourinho's team has been boring or unproductive - e.g. the first 30 mins v Chelsea - we've been slow in the build up, have lacked width and allowed teams to get back in numbers - all characteristics of Van Gaal's side

Puddser

You're only using certain facts though. You're only using home form. Sure, you posted it on a home thread, but then you posted it here, which is about improvement. So basically, you're choosing 1 piece of data as the facts. You're not talking about the overall picture when you talk about home form, that's why I, and others, mention that you're skewing / cherry picking.

Jose is already close to beating out Louis' points total over the course of 2 seasons, and as I said above, that's not even taking into account an already better trophy haul too. And a better record in the Champions League.

If he were to finish outside the top 4 - that's a different argument. This is about whether or not we've improved. We've improved in basically every single regard, apart from home record, as you point out. The football is better to most people's eye, we create more chances, we score more goals, we've got better players etc.

Yes, we're not there yet. But again, that's not the point of this thread, which is whether or not we have significantly improved. And we have.

Level of investment and player quality is an interesting point. For me, I'd look at what Jose has done as a massive positive in this regard, I certainly wouldn't be using it as evidence we're failing more than LVG due to the level of players. I'd say that Jose has invested in players who have a right to regularly wear the red shirt. He's attracted top level, world class talent. He has a good eye for talent.

Louis was given huge funds, and he failed spectacularly to bring in good players. So yep, another way we've improved significantly since LVG, thanks for pointing that out ;)
Yep its about home form, which is part of weather we've improved or not.

Jose mathematically can't beat LVG's home record. If we win our remaining 5 matches its still 1 point less. He's 11 goals off equaling what LVG managed with a far better squad, which required a bigger investment and is considered by the majority the special one.

Jose to his credit has invested in some talented individuals alright, agree there. But is he getting the best of the sum of the parts he has? That's a definite no for me anyway. Look at what Poch is doing at Spurs, the list of talented young players he finds and improves far outweighs what Jose has done at United. If you do a list of players improved for both I bet Poch wins hands down.

We've two average wingers at FB still, persisting with Smalling and Jones as a CB duo. Playing Pogba our most creative outlet as a defensive MF. Ousted an in form Martial from LW to RW and ignores Lukaku's abilities of playing on the shoulder of the last defender and instead opts for hoof ball and forcing him into a target man.

I've a friend who also makes the point that its about closing the gap to the champions. LVG's 2nd season, his worst of the two he finished 15 points behind Champions Leicester. Last season Jose finished 24 points off Champions Chelsea. As it stands here n the now he's 13 points off City, be interesting to see how this season ends.

Can you honestly read that an say its a significant improvement?

I'm not trying to be negative / pessimist but realistic. If Jose was showing some kind of a definitive plan it'd make things easier to bear.

We have improved since Mou came. However the key word here is 'significantly'. That's open to debate

I think Mou's game is far more effective then LVG's one and he's way better in terms of buying players. However, I can't help feeling that his game is getting old and that certain issues which were quite evident in LVG's obsolete football like cracking up opposition defences or fitting players into an effective system are starting to show up. Mou is not the special one anymore.
This! Nice to see another poster feel the same.

As I've just proven he's playing the same "anti-football" Moyes did, let that sink it... Moyes! And posters wonder why I used the term "Jose apologists". Summed up perfectly there. If Moyes, LVG or any other had us hoofing balls in the box they are slaughtered, once its Jose excuses are drummed up to defend him. Its anything and anyone but Jose it seems.

You’re a newbie so you probably weren’t around but actually I was an advocate of Lvg coming in, even had it on my location. However 2 seasons in, I couldn’t take it anymore. He basically turned me off from watching united and I won’t forgive that

I’m not a fan of Jose’s style either but I recognize that he has experienced winning the Pl several times so prepared to give him more time (discounting the fact that we have clearly progressed). The 3rd season will be all important - make or break I reckon

Also go back to the point about martial and what I was responding to
I recall at the time of LVG signing many were excited alright, that's true. I just felt he got an awful time from supporters myself. It's marginally better now and in some instances worse than LVG yet its currently ignored cause its Jose.

I'm just of the opinion if top 4 is missed I think he should go and we should be hiring a talented young manager who fits the club philosophy of attacking football and working with young players. Poch, Tuchel and Enrique are 3 perfect candidates.

Teja

We've improved defensively and that has translated into a couple of minor trophies but our attacking play is still a bit listless. We can keep talking about more transfers claiming a new CM + better fullbacks will solve our offensive problems but I think we can and should be playing a much better brand of football with the players we have.

The fact of the matter is that our play is rarely incisive, we do all the simple things like playing it out of defense, spreading it to flanks and putting chances to bed but we don't regularly cut teams apart either with quick counters / good attacking play. It's all a bit ponderous and teams easily put 10 men behind the ball before our attacking players do anything creative with it. Lingard is the only one that seems to move while the rest just stand around waiting for the ball to come to them.

Contrary to what people think, I think we're very close to everything clicking. What I've also noticed is that when there isn't a lot of pressure (say we're up 2 and the other team's not doing anything special), the players play a lot more freely. I think the obsession with having to win every single game we play gets into players' heads and makes them unwilling to take risks when attacking. I don't think we should become Arsenal and encourage good football over winning but there's a balance to be struck here and I think that will come once we're able to put together a couple of winning runs and build confidence.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They didn’t play as a unit, they didn’t create the options and runs required, they also didn’t press as a unit. For me they all performed well but there is a difference between an individual performance and a unit doing the things to unsettle teams. Which they were to green to do or even really be expected to do.

LVG’s football is a lot more complicated than what say Jose has us do, there is far more intelligence involved in it. Those guys just simply weren’t ready. LVG’s system was dependent on the team doing their jobs. Also most modern managers have their players hold positions, stay in zones for example Pep,Poch,Sarri,Bielsa,Cruyff,LVG and many many more.
Your argument has contained factually incorrect points, which you're now ignoring, and there's another I didn't even address. A minute ago, a front three of Mata, Martial and Memphis, with Rooney playing in midfield, was replaced by Rashford, Martial and Lingard, with Rooney still in midfield, because of injuries. The reality of the situation is that Mata was quite literally an ever-present feature of our attacking lineup, Martial was very much there on merit because of his fantastic start, and Rooney actually played a lot of the season up front, which is precisely how he managed to score 15 goals and end up as our second top scorer. Rashford may have been granted his debut in the Europa League because of a couple of injuries keeping players out of that game, but his prolonged inclusion in the side after the fact was not at all down to injury, but in fact because he was very much there on merit.

Your stance on this is completely bizarre, and reflects very little of what actually happened. We played boring, shit on a stick football under van Gaal because van Gaal was very happy with us playing boring, shit on a stick football. He was risk averse, and the style of football he adopted with us very much reflected that. In his mind, a 0-0 draw with us creating, but missing, just three chances on goal while limiting the opposition to only a couple of half chances is a very good performance, because in his mind, better finishing makes that a 3-0 win. He didn't like having too many players forward, and he didn't like the shape of the team to be distorted, as can happen during attacking play. Again, he spent two years harping on about how his brand of football was fantastic, even after we barely managed to create a scoring opportunity against shite teams. All was well because we'd had 60% possession and they'd only managed one shot on target themselves.

If van Gaal's system was so complex that his players couldn't understand it well enough to play effectively, then at some point in his two year tenure he should have changed it to something they could understand well enough to play effectively. First of all he had an inexperienced frontline, which was untrue because he actually inherited a very experienced frontline, to which he added further experience, despite stripping the squad down a bit too much. Next it wasn't that he an inexperienced frontline, but that the experienced frontline he had was disrupted by injury, forcing him to play three young players that didn't understand the system. Now, after having it pointed out to you that two of those three young players were in fact two of the best performers from that season, and that his experienced frontline actually featured quite heavily, it's that his system was just beyond the comprehension of the mere mortals who happened to play for United under van Gaal.

The fact that you've now listed Cruyff, a man who hadn't managed in almost 20 years by the time van Gaal got the United job, and Bielsa, a man whose career highlights stretch little further than domestic success in Argentina 20 years ago, and LvG, another whose career peaked in the 90s, as examples of modern managers is astonishing. Comparing the crap that van Gaal served up as United manager to Guardiola and Pochettino based purely on one, quite broad area of tactics (asking players to stay in position) is an insult to both of those managers.

I don't know what dirt van Gaal has on you, but man, is this the hill you really want to die on?

Jaybomb

Van Gaal was okay during his first season.

It was when he binned RVP, Hernandez, Falcao and Nani... all to rely on a finished Wayne Rooney as his sole striker. That’s when things became a problem. We weren’t scoring enough goals... simple as that. And that was all down to Rooney that season. LVG put his trust in him and it came back to bite him. Ultimately his league position is what got him sacked and I can’t help but think if we had all those players he sold, we would have probably finished in the top four. It was only when Rashford came onto the scene that things picked up.

All of LVG’s second seasons have been mismatches for the club in my opinion. It’s like the clubs philosophy went out the door. There’s a reason Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger only lasted a year. Darmian is barely hanging on aswell.

Jia_Ming

We have improved but not significantly.

The squad is obviously stronger. Under Jose we have been able to sign some world class players and now we have 3 imo to the 1 we had when LVG was here. We have also been able to get rid of some dead weight since Jose has was hired. There's more balance to the squad too in terms of age, position and experience. I also like the fact that Jose has focused more on recruiting 'specialist' players as he likes to call them rather than 'versatile' ones, LVG bought too many players who just do the bare minimum and excel at nothing.

Results have been better under Jose. It's a fact but that's not to say we setting the world on fire.

The football hasn't improved for me. Both managers stifle attacking or flair players and I'd like to see us play a more expansive football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

a front three of Mata, Martial and Memphis, with Rooney playing in midfield, was replaced by Rashford, Martial and Lingard, with Rooney still in midfield, because of injuries.
don’t get what you’re actually saying here because all you’ve done is kinda repeated what I said.

We played boring, shit on a stick football under van Gaal because van Gaal was very happy with us playing boring, shit on a stick football.
That seems like just a preconceived opinion you’ve made yourself which your entitled to but really if you think that i have this invisibility cloak i’d Like to sell you.
I honestly don’t know what you’ve been reading because you seem to have fabricated issues and said things I’ve not even mentioned. I honestly think you’ve just misread something or gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Also those comparisons with those managers are the system and intelligence in the way they play football, which I guess is something you’re struggiling to understand what I meant. Because they play a complex version of football and the more modern version you see stems from guys like Cruyff and Bielsa. It’s there blueprint and improved upon by guys like Klopp, Poch and Pep. The things they did, do with their teams is used by these guys yet people call them dinosaurs.

You clearly don’t like LVG and have either misinterpreted or just gotten confused with a lot of what I’ve said.
Anyway that’s fine you didn’t appreciate what LVG was trying to do or how it was a more intelligent version of football that would take time to implement.

dirkey

Yep its about home form, which is part of weather we've improved or not.

Jose mathematically can't beat LVG's home record. If we win our remaining 5 matches its still 1 point less. He's 11 goals off equaling what LVG managed with a far better squad, which required a bigger investment and is considered by the majority the special one.

Jose to his credit has invested in some talented individuals alright, agree there. But is he getting the best of the sum of the parts he has? That's a definite no for me anyway. Look at what Poch is doing at Spurs, the list of talented young players he finds and improves far outweighs what Jose has done at United. If you do a list of players improved for both I bet Poch wins hands down.

We've two average wingers at FB still, persisting with Smalling and Jones as a CB duo. Playing Pogba our most creative outlet as a defensive MF. Ousted an in form Martial from LW to RW and ignores Lukaku's abilities of playing on the shoulder of the last defender and instead opts for hoof ball and forcing him into a target man.

I've a friend who also makes the point that its about closing the gap to the champions. LVG's 2nd season, his worst of the two he finished 15 points behind Champions Leicester. Last season Jose finished 24 points off Champions Chelsea. As it stands here n the now he's 13 points off City, be interesting to see how this season ends.

Can you honestly read that an say its a significant improvement?

I'm not trying to be negative / pessimist but realistic. If Jose was showing some kind of a definitive plan it'd make things easier to bear.
Nope, he's probably not getting the best out of the players. That's not the point of this thread though, is it? It's whether or not we've improved significantly, and I think there's quantifiable evidence, when you look at things as a whole and don't just cherry pick certain stats, like home games, disregarding all away games, and all games in other competitions.

We're going to end up with more points. We're going to end up with more goals. We're going to end up with more trophies (we already have those, even if we win nothing this year) and, while it remains to be seen, we still have a better than evens chance of ending both seasons with Champions League football. We're also accumulating better players.

You say that he has no plan, and yet, I see clear evidence that each year, the gap in our team with regard to players who fit in with what Jose wants is getting smaller. Was that happening with Louis? Nope, he was firing darts in the transfer market and they weren't panning out. As another poster succinctly put it, his plan, whatever it was, wasn't working, and was never going to work. He claimed domination in games where we had 2 shots. Ridiculous tripe.

Regarding what your friend's point is, that's ludicrous. So, it's a fair barometer to point to a very average champion in Leicester in an absolutely terrible year for the Premiership and say that we should be as close to City now, one of the best sides ever seen, who are breaking all kinds of records, as to that Leicester side? Ludicrous. And especially with regard to this thread, this is about improvement of United as a team / squad. That has nothing to do with comparisons with other sides.

If Jose had been in his 2nd year managing United that year, we'd have won that league, I'm 100% sure of that.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
don’t get what you’re actually saying here because all you’ve done is kinda repeated what I said.
I was quite literally paraphrasing what you had written, before following it up with the rest of the paragraph that you, for some reason, have completely ignored. What's hilarious is that I literally called you out for ignoring points in the sentence before that one, but you've still managed to ignore the points made.

Here it is again for you, with the bits you missed in bold:

Your argument has contained factually incorrect points, which you're now ignoring, and there's another I didn't even address. A minute ago, a front three of Mata, Martial and Memphis, with Rooney playing in midfield, was replaced by Rashford, Martial and Lingard, with Rooney still in midfield, because of injuries. The reality of the situation is that Mata was quite literally an ever-present feature of our attacking lineup, Martial was very much there on merit because of his fantastic start, and Rooney actually played a lot of the season up front, which is precisely how he managed to score 15 goals and end up as our second top scorer. Rashford may have been granted his debut in the Europa League because of a couple of injuries keeping players out of that game, but his prolonged inclusion in the side after the fact was not at all down to injury, but in fact because he was very much there on merit.

That seems like just a preconceived opinion you’ve made yourself which your entitled to but really if you think that i have this invisibility cloak i’d Like to sell you.
I honestly don’t know what you’ve been reading because you seem to have fabricated issues and said things I’ve not even mentioned. I honestly think you’ve just misread something or gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Also those comparisons with those managers are the system and intelligence in the way they play football, which I guess is something you’re struggiling to understand what I meant. Because they play a complex version of football and the more modern version you see stems from guys like Cruyff and Bielsa. It’s there blueprint and improved upon by guys like Klopp, Poch and Pep. The things they did, do with their teams is used by these guys yet people call them dinosaurs.

You clearly don’t like LVG and have either misinterpreted or just gotten confused with a lot of what I’ve said.
Anyway that’s fine you didn’t appreciate what LVG was trying to do or how it was a more intelligent version of football that would take time to implement.
It's not a preconceived notion that we played boring, shit on a stick football under van Gaal. It's the opinion of almost every United that watched them under van Gaal, as well as the opinion of pretty much every opposition fan that watched United under van Gaal. It's the opinion of so many, that it may well be considered objective fact that Manchester United played boring, shit on a stick football under van Gaal.

The first post I responded to from you was this:

A thing that also gets forgotten is we had a really young and untested frontline still finding their way in the game. At times they had moments of really really good play. I think their lack of experience and the lack of any real quality in midfield led to just this doubtful front 6 that didn’t seem to trust each other hence the very static boring football.
To which I pointed out that he actually inherited a very experienced frontline, and in fact, added experience to it. I also noted that any issues with personnel fall directly at van Gaal's feet because he made the decision to offload so many players in the time he was here.

You then responded to that with this:

To which I reasserted that any personnel issues, including Di Maria, were purely van Gaal's fault, with added detail and explanations why.

You then posted this:

This suggested that we had an inexperienced frontline due to injuries to the experienced Mata and Rooney (which in itself is not true as evidenced by the number of games played by both Mata and Rooney), and that said inexperienced frontline failed to perform adequately (which again was untrue, as evidenced by Martial being our top scorer and Rashford bursting onto the scene being just one goal shy of averaging a goal every two appearances, over the 18 he made).

I also pointed out to you that almost all of the players that struggled under van Gaal at United, have gone on to be noticeably better when not playing under van Gaal, and were noticeably better before playing under van Gaal at United, and that van Gaal himself made repeated assertions that the team were doing exactly what he wanted them to do, and that he was very happy with the way we were playing.

You then shifted focus away from this, and onto tactics, by posting this:

You start off by trying to discount the objectively impressive debut seasons from Martial and Rashford by claiming they didn't perform well as a unit in the way van Gaal wanted, despite them being the two standout performers from the season, both from attacking positions as part of the attacking unit. It doesn't make any sense.

You then follow that up by making a weird claim that van Gaal's system was somehow more complex than what Mourinho has our players do, because he, err...wants the players to stay in position, something you've gone on to reassert here.

I understand that Cruyff's style was considered somewhat revolutionary at the time, twenty odd years ago, but football's changed a lot since then, so I found it odd that you were including him in list of managers you were describing as "modern" alongside van Gaal and Bielsa. And no, there's nothing I don't understand, I'm just struggling to work out why you think a manager wanting his players to stay in position is somehow revolutionary in 2018. Why do you think every single manager in the game adopts a formation, rather than just chucking 11 lads on a pitch and telling them to do what they want?

This is why I pointed out that your point about "holding position" was incredibly broad, and also incredibly daft in the face of comparing 2015/16 Louis van Gaal with modern day Pep Guardiola. There are, of course, varying degrees in which managers expect their players to hold their positions, and in general, the trend is that managers adopting a more fluid approach manage teams that play more attractive football, whether they work on specific attacking plays and movements or not.

You've literally reached the point in your defense of van Gaal where you're claiming that you are the only one smart enough to understand how good he was and how it was not him, but literally everyone else that failed to make his system lead to attractive football.

And no, I don't like van Gaal particularly. Not after watching two years of the shite he served up following the year of shite we'd already endured under Moyes. However, I was very optimistic when he took charge, and even in the closing stages of his first season I was hopeful that we'd be comfortable title challengers in his second. The reality was that he was not only failing to take us forwards, but was actively taking us backwards, and as much as I loved the FA Cup win, it was never going to paper over that glaringly obvious crack.

How you watched two years of van Gaal managing United and have concluded that he just needed more time to implement his apparently infinitely complex system so it could blossom into a foolproof system of dominating matches in entertaining and high-scoring fashion I don't know. What I do know is that you've repeatedly shown an inability or unwillingness to actually engage with fact, so in the words of the immortal Duncan Bannatyne, I'm oot.