Herrera confirms his departure

Ban

So from what I understand, he was offered a contract last year and rejected it. He has been in bed with PSG most of the season and probably agreed to join them ages ago. He now rejected another contract offered by United.

His PR team have played a blinder with this one if he is still being held in any sort of positive light.
He was offered a contract last year? Source of that information?

Ban

As if those people don't realize how mediocre our club is to the point where we cannot act all high and mighty when a player like Herrera leaves us, this is a blow.
This. I'm amazed at some of the posts.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It has to be a concern when you look at some of the players we've renewed this season, and this guy is walking away. Not quite on the Ramsey level, but not far off

SamVimes

It has to be a concern when you look at some of the players we've renewed this season, and this guy is walking away. Not quite on the Ramsey level, but not far off
Not even close to Ramsey. If he was that invested in the Club and money was no issue he would have stayed. It was, he hasn't, let's all move on.

fallengt

As if those people don't realize how mediocre our club is to the point where we cannot act all high and mighty when a player like Herrera leaves us, this is a blow.
Those people don't even realize our struggle in last 7 years is no coincident. But to fix problem you must first acknowledge there's one.
With that attitude we are exactly where we are supposed to be.

Rajma

Don’t blame he chose the money at his age as he realised he would never be an automatic starter around here anyway because of his lack of ability. When played gave his all though, can’t fault his effort for sure.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’ve said before that Herrera isn’t all that and I also don’t want to criticise the club just for the sake of it. However, I feel that this is astonishingly bad management to let one of the few players with any heart leave on a free transfer, whilst we’re signing up Ashley Young and Chris Smalling on free transfers. There’s something fundamentally wrong at this club unfortunately. This is absolutely disgusting.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not in wages, but in fee. Good luck in getting a young and talented midfielder in for under 40-50m. Also with that fee, he wont demand 50k wages, but more like 150k. And then said player also needs to klick, looking at Fred is the best example. Mid 20's midfielder bought for 50m, CL experience and Brazil international who is on 150k a week wages and has disappointed so far and had a worse season than Herrera, by far.
Pellegrini, Barella, Doucoure, Tielemans , Gueye - that's 5 players from my limited knowledge who will cost less than 40m.

izec

Pellegrini, Barella, Doucoure, Tielemans , Gueye - that's 5 players from my limited knowledge who will cost less than 40m.
Except for Pellegrini with his low buyout clause, no chance. He is also more of an AM, than box to box CM. Pretty confident all of the rest would cost 40m at least.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Glad to see he’s not in the match day squad.

I only want to see youngsters and players that will 100% still be with us next season in the match day 18.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Except for Pellegrini with his low buyout clause, no chance. He is also more of an AM, than box to box CM. Pretty confident all of the rest would cost 40m at least.
Not really an AM but that's for a different discussion.
Gueye is in his last year of contract and PSG were rumoured to be offering 30m in Jan. There are reports Monaco is looking for 40m for Tielemans.

Point is simple - if your scouts are good, Herrera can be easily replaced as he is an average player with 100% commitment.

izec

Not really an AM but that's for a different discussion.
Gueye is in his last year of contract and PSG were rumoured to be offering 30m in Jan. There are reports Monaco is looking for 40m for Tielemans.

Point is simple - if your scouts are good, Herrera can be easily replaced as he is an average player with 100% commitment.
The offer got rejected from Everton.

Replacing Herrera is not just buying a midfielder. You need to buy one who can tackle, press and play some passes with some tactical nous. The only player really replacing Herrera from your list would be Barella and Doucoure. Pellegrini is more offensive as is Tielemans, and Gueye more defensive. It is not that easy, and i am confident the first two would cost closer to 50m than 40 or 30m. Besides that point of the fee, the wages they would ask would also be close to 150k. Then add to that we need another or maybe 2 midfielders and all the other positions to fill, and you can see why Herrera leaving is a bad move for us, at least short term. Too many changes and a player leaving without the need. It will cost also more to replace him for now when we have so many to invest in 2 years. Whichever way you look at it, it is a bad choice.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He doesn't have to agree anything we offer him and that doesn't change the fact that when he was on the pitch he gave his all.

His PR havent done anything, most of what people like about him are to do with how intense he is on the pitch.

There were 3 players in our whole team who run and press. Lingard, Rashford and Him. Now he is gone, Lingard isnt good enough to start, we only have Rashford....
He was a decent energetic midfielder. He doesnt have to agree anything we offer him, you are right - but the lengths people are going to defend him and make out like this is some major catastrophe is entirely disproportionate to both his ability and any level of loyalty that he has shown.

You can't be sure of that.
As with previous - it seems people are going to great lengths to defend Herrera given he is one of the Caf's favourites. Other players have done much more for the club and yet the same fans are only too eager to jump down their throats given any sort of excuse.

Anyway, I dont think there is any much point in debating this. I wish him all the best at PSG, no major loss though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He isn't committed as he gets more money at other club than what United offer. The buck where United offering player with insane wages when we're lingering on 5-6th places has to stop now.

We can't change the past, but we can change the future.

Abizzz

This wouldn't be so depressing if I had any confidence that the club will sign someone better / equally good but younger. It'll probably take 4 very good windows now for me to regain that confidence :(.

Ban

@Walrus, it's not about defending him, it's about letting a valuable player go which will prove to be a mistake, especially if we don't add quality cms to our team. Suddenly he's being portrayed like he was some kind of shit player.

Every day that passes increases my anger towards Ed Woodward.
For the full set, he should get Mata (a player who is not MUFC quality) to sign a new contract

:mad:
Woody didn't decide that Smalling, Jones and Young would get new contracts, at Manchester United the manager decides that. You know that, and I know that so vent your anger at Solksjaer for those 3 and at Mourinho for Herrera.

Vent your Woody (among others) anger towards the shit show of our last Summer transfer window.

crossy1686

career ending
Woody didn't decide that Smalling, Jones and Young would get new contracts, at Manchester United the manager decides that.

You know that, and I know that so vent your anger at Solksjaer for those 3 and at Mourinho for Herrera.
You do know they signed contracts when Solskjær was interim? And he said transfers and contracts were nothing to do with him?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
@Walrus, it's not about defending him, it's about letting a valuable player go which will prove to be a mistake, especially if we don't add quality cms to our team. Suddenly he's being portrayed like he was some kind of shit player.
I dont think anyone is portraying him as shit, and I dont think anyone is suggesting that there arent half a dozen (at least) other players who shouldve been shown the door before allowing Herrera to leave. I always liked Herrera as a player but the painful truth is he never quite lived up to expectation. He was in some ways the best of a bad bunch, so far as our midfield was/is concerned.

I simply think that the reaction on here is entirely disproportionate to the facts - he has run his contract down and is leaving for PSG for the money. He is entitled to do that, as is any other player. But posting a farewell video and people saying that he has been so poorly treated, it is all the clubs fault, poor Herrera isnt to blame....its all just a bit like amateur dramatics to me right now.

You do know they signed contracts when Solskjær was interim? And he said transfers and contracts were nothing to do with him?
Then blame it on the daftness of the football decision makers at the club then, I'm certain OGS had a say along with the advisory board and the rest of the management team.

What is certain is that Ed fecking Woodward doesn't decide which players United keep and which leave, you're an absolute fool if you believe that for one second.

crossy1686

career ending
Then blame it on the daftness of the football decision makers at the club then, I'm certain OGS had a say along with the advisory board and the rest of the management team.

What is certain is that Ed fecking Woodward doesn't decide which players United keep and which leave, you're an absolute fool if you believe that for one second.
I think Solskjaer has only been there a week before Jones signed a new contract.

I mean it could just be that all these guys were offered contracts at the start of the season and everyone hated Mourinho and refused to sign if he was staying. The second he got fired they all signed, except Herrera.

They must have had these on the table for a while. Negotiations don’t just happen in a week or two.

Ban

Keep telling yourself that. He certainly does have a big say.

rio's upper lip

Herrera leaving, Pogba likely leaving, and Matic on his last legs. Will be a completely new midfield next season.

I think Solskjaer has only been there a week before Jones signed a new contract.

I mean it could just be that all these guys were offered contracts at the start of the season and everyone hated Mourinho and refused to sign if he was staying. The second he got fired they all signed, except Herrera.

They must have had these on the table for a while. Negotiations don’t just happen in a week or two.
Then blame Mourinho for agreeing them then, or his management team, or anyone football related at the club. Woodward is CEO, he's not making these kinds of decisions.
He'll be heavily involved in the negotiation side of course, but he isn't the one deciding whether or not Herrera gets an offer and not Young.

Gwhizz

Shame we're going to lose a very good utility player because in the right environment he can still offer a lot at 30 years of age. The footballing ability certainly wasn't top notch but hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. His loss also makes it very unlikely that Matic will be shown the door and quite frankly Ander has done more to earn his keep whereas Matic offers nothing. Hopefully we'll make some smart moves in the market to soften the blow because by Christmas we'll be crying out for a bit of combat and hard work in the middle of the park

Reactions: Invictus

Ban

Keep telling yourself that nonsense in order to give you a face to blame for all of our issues.

Absolutely no chance is Woodward, a finance man, identifying players to sign, sell, extend, release. Are you out of your fecking mind?
Who is then? When he's giving briefs to media about who will we sign or why we didn't sign someone, he does that for fun?

Who is then? When he's giving briefs to media about who will we sign or why we didn't sign someone, he does that for fun?
The briefs? he does that for publicity I'd say, the scouting team and management team decide on the players though.

At United we've got an absolute tonne of people employed for footballing matters, a management team, a scouting team, and a football advisory board including Gill, SAF & Charlton.

One person not employed to make footballing decisions is Woodward. He'll decide budgets for buying players and wages but not who stays, who leaves. As I say, if you think that you are absolutely out of your mind.

Ban

The briefs? he does that for publicity I'd say, the scouting team and management team decide on the players though.

At United we've got an absolute tonne of people employed for footballing matters, a management team, a scouting team, and a football advisory board including Gill, SAF & Charlton.

One person not employed to make footballing decisions is Woodward. He'll decide budgets for buying players and wages but not who stays, who leaves. As I say, if you think that you are absolutely out of your mind.
Oh good. I have no idea why people are so angry with him then.

Oh good. I have no idea why people are so angry with him then.
Shit transfer window last Summer? Unable to get much needed transfers over the line? Penny pinching last Summer? Not sorted a DoF yet which many people desperately want after the past few years of failure and swapping managers? Overpaying for Fred?

Plenty to be frustrated with him and the club about, but pretending a finance man is making football decisions is beyond ludicrous.