Herrera confirms his departure

Owen06

Herrera has been a good player for man United, always played with a kind of passion that will be missed,watching that good bye video from him was sad even more sad considering worst players were offered new contracts however,he was also found wanting for most of the time here and had to switch from an offensive midfiielder to a defensive one in order to adapt.

Now in this whole herrera departure drama,one thing our fans need to know is that,Woodward is responsible for a lot of things wrong in the club at the moment but he is not completely wrong letting herrera go or even at fault.
Herrera was offered new contracts last two season when the barcelona rumours were heating up but he rejected,he was also offered earlier this season which he rejected,he reportedly wants kroos level of money which will be ultimate fleecing.
His camp can try to make it sound like it's the clubs fault because to be fair, you can blame Woodward for brexit at the moment and some people will agree, but it was all just Herrera looking for a big pay packet and before people go on about Sanchez and lukaku wages, fans need to understand that just because we made a mistake once, does not mean we have to continue a vicious circle.

Herrera was without a doubt a good player for us but at the end of the day money talks, good luck to him where ever he goes.

Reactions: nimic

MAME DIOUF 32

His personality and desire will be missed as much as his ability. I'm not usually a GRIT and PASHUN kind of guy but our squad is so utterly devoid of any will to win that Herrera leaving feels disastrous.

He's not a player I'd worry too much about losing under other circumstances, but he's in my first XI and in the last couple of years we've given big new contracts to Rojo, Young, Lingard, Jones and Smalling. It's disappointing that we couldn't do something to keep Herrera here.

JG3001

Good perception.

Beside reasons for leaving, the guy had everything but genuine quality. He has a position which can very much be upgraded and improved upon. Not sure why there is so much anguish with regards to him leaving. Nice guy and that but for me personally that's where the buck stops.

I think the anguish stems more from the fact there are several players of far lower quality, on far more money, who should have seen the door before Herrera.

Did like the guy, had his big game moments, but I agree, he did sort of represent the overrated ‘okay’ player that United have become synonymous with.

MAME DIOUF 32

I think the anguish stems more from the fact there are several players of far lower quality, on far more money, who should have seen the door before Herrera.
That's it for me. I'm not disputing that we can probably do better than Herrera but he's so, so far down the list of players to replace.

NAKUPENDA

I would miss him a lot to be honest, but his decision is totally understandable...United's future is really unpredictable, while playing at PSG would be a guarantee for league title and a UCL spot. If PSG would like to pay him more than us, I don't see a point of him saying no.
However, if he demands over 200k a week it's definitely not worth it given his age and ability level, just because we made a huge mistake on Sanchez doesn't mean we need to repeat the mistakes we've made. So I definitely understand why the club wouldn't offer him a contract he wants.

kerryman

He doesn't have to agree anything we offer him and that doesn't change the fact that when he was on the pitch he gave his all.

His PR havent done anything, most of what people like about him are to do with how intense he is on the pitch.

There were 3 players in our whole team who run and press. Lingard, Rashford and Him. Now he is gone, Lingard isnt good enough to start, we only have Rashford....
Rashford isn't good enough to be a starter either, not if we want to get back to the top and compete for titles.
The biggest issue with Herrera leaving is that we now have to spend 40-50m of our transfer budget replacing him when there are so many other positions that need improving first.
We could have hung on to him for another season or two while we strengthened in other areas as he was a very useful player who always gave his all on the pitch.
You can't blame him for wanting similar wages to Luke Shaw or more than Phil Jones, Lingard, Young, Fred or Mata given that he played as much or more times than these guys and better than them too! If you were in his shoes would you be happy to earn less than those guys?
Bottom line is that this is poor management from the club, whoever made the decision. We have so many other positions that need strengthening first and a limited budget that we really should have kept him on. We might save 2-3 million a year on wages with his replacement but will have to spend 40-50 million of our budget to get one. This position was not a priority. Now we won't be able to strengthen in other areas. The club is a shambles at the moment.

RedStarUnited

These idiots would say the same thing if Henderson played for us instead of Liverpool. Not a single Liverpool midfield player is a great player on their own. In squads, not every player can be a great player but everyone needs to do a job.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
These idiots would say the same thing if Henderson played for us instead of Liverpool. Not a single Liverpool midfield player is a great player on their own. In squads, not every player can be a great player but everyone needs to do a job.
The Liverpool midfielders cover ground quicker than either of our defensive minded mids. (Herrera, Matic) Makes a big difference..

Greck

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. A true United player is one that actually wants to be at United. He left for flipping PSG not Barcelona or Madrid. I don't know why people are more sympathetic to his trying to maximize his earnings over the club's attempts to control the wage structure. I sympathise with both Herrera and the club's positions

cyril C

As I have said PSG are the ones who threw a spanner in the works, probably revenge for us knocking them out. Can't blame him for probably very politely asking if we would match it, we haven't so he has taken the better offer. I really can't blame him and he is a bright lad and can probably see where this club is going and it isn't up.
Receiving clubs have a different matrix. No need of transfer fee so comfortably divide 16m over 4 years equivalent to 80K a week. Even if they promise 200K that would be 120+80K a week.

We should have never allowed players to go down to his last 1 year, but then players power seem to have picked up recently as they know they get dig a gold mine on their last contract, even if they are not Messi or CR. Arsenal-Ramsey went down the similar path, that's why DDG must sign or leave this summer, no more hesitation. Just get it over with - unless fans think DDG worth 500K/week.

Canagel

The Liverpool midfielders cover ground quicker than either of our defensive minded mids. (Herrera, Matic) Makes a big difference..
Not only this they can make dangerous crosses and get in the box too.

WPMUFC

He will be sorely missed. Have a look at the whole thread. The only player we've had post-saf that gave it everything and was the master shit stirrer.

Name Changed

weso26
Easier farmers league and a guaranteed title every season.
Guaranteed CL football every year with a good shout of reaching the latter stages.
More money.
Better city for his family.
Away from the circus and turmoil orchestrated by the grand muppet overlord Woodward.

Made the right choice, top lad and a top player.
Obviously he made the right choice but I shouldn't come down to that. He should have been given a contract beforehand especially considering some of the donkeys we have given contracts to.

wolvored

Tbf he was an average player who demanded and lost, a massive contract. Good luck you will be a loss

Canagel

He will be sorely missed. Have a look at the whole thread. The only player we've had post-saf that gave it everything and was the master shit stirrer.
He should have gone to play for Simeone instead.

clarkydaz

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. A true United player is one that actually wants to be at United. He left for flipping PSG not Barcelona or Madrid. I don't know why people are more sympathetic to his trying to maximize his earnings over the club's attempts to control the wage structure. I sympathise with both Herrera and the club's positions
The board gave Shaw a payrise to £190k a week for looking like a professional footballer again. They tried to strongarm fellaini for him to then bend them over in return, and now Herrera has walked away for nothing. We are a shambles, the club deserves all humiliation coming its way

berbasloth4

i dont really see the fuss with herrera going tbh.. he had a massive heart but on the ball he offered very little. if we are rebuilding rebuild with youth mctominays there, fred has been improving use them.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He was sometimes quite good. Goodbye Ander.

Verminator

He made a mercenary decision. Now he's playing the victim. I'm glad to see the back of someone like him.
There are better midfielders than him at other clubs, on less money than he was offered.
It hurts that we don't get a fee for him, but he wanted superstar wages.
If he was as good as Kante or Fernandinho, or scoring and assisting double figures, then fair enough. A water-carrier, the wrong side of 30?
He's done well getting his PSG contract. Good luck and goodbye.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s not even in the squad tomorrow...

Patrick08

He's going to psg. If he was so poor and average why would such teams be on the hunt paying more than what woodward was giving him? He will shine in that team in psg where his strengths are more properly utilized than the poor managers we had utilized him. Very poor stand by ogden trying to downplay his importance. This is the very same attitude that made him leave as the management didn't value him. Which is pathetic and gives an indication about who is absolutely clueless about football. We not only lost a very functional player but also around 30 m of transfer fee which is a shame because this club has to wait a complete season to spend 30 m more than sanctioned budget.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's going to psg. If he was so poor and average why would such teams be on the hunt paying more than what woodward was giving him? He will shine in that team in psg where his strengths are more properly utilized than the poor managers we had utilized him. Very poor stand by ogden trying to downplay his importance. This is the very same attitude that made him leave as the management didn't value him. Which is pathetic and gives an indication about who is absolutely clueless about football. We not only lost a very functional player but also around 30 m of transfer fee which is a shame because this club has to wait a complete season to spend 30 m more than sanctioned budget.
How would Herrera be a starter for PSG? Who is he replacing?

Loublaze

ATLien
What have PSG done besides walk their domestic league and fail miserably in the champions league? They are foolish to offer an average 30 year old a long term contract on stupid money. If they want to win that elusive CL they should be signing better players. Good luck to them both.

Eleven-Eighteen

He should have gone to play for Simeone instead.
:lol::lol: Classic Herrera

Have such a mixed feeling about this whole thing. On one hand he wasn't wrong to ask for a raise and a nice new contract, but on the other hand (if reports are correct) his agents' demands from United were a bit ludicrous. 200k+ a week and a five year contract - that ain't ever happening.

So one could definitely say he had a foot out the door, was looking for a big payout to stay.

But on the other hand, we gave some seriously mediocre players a new contract despite their age and performances. So why not give Herrera what he asked for

It's all just very confusing really

They did sign Choupo-Moting :wenger:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
:lol::lol: Classic Herrera

Have such a mixed feeling about this whole thing. On one hand he wasn't wrong to ask for a raise and a nice new contract, but on the other hand (if reports are correct) his agents' demands from United were a bit ludicrous. 200k+ a week and a five year contract - that ain't ever happening.

So one could definitely say he had a foot out the door, was looking for a big payout to stay.

But on the other hand, we gave some seriously mediocre players a new contract despite their age and performances. So why not give Herrera what he asked for

It's all just very confusing really
It's not ludicrous when a perma crock and washed up player like Sanchez earns crazy wages. This was always gonna happen when important players are to negotiate extensions. Jose has left a poisoned gift with Sanchez, we will regret this long term unless we break his contract and boot him out of the club.

Rafaeldagold

What’s happening with us..keeping players we shouldn’t, getting rid of players we shouldn’t- Herrera is a good player & passionate about United yet he’s going. We have a manager with no success or experience & now he is in charge of a massive rebuilding job..

Sad to see Ander go

Anders Agnalt

A 30 year old player should never get more than 1 year contract unless your name is Ronaldo or Messi!

Hope we have made a deal for another player since we let Herrera go.

We need to rebuild, not continue on the road we have been on for the last 6 years.

Got my hopes up for new signings and lot of progression up until christmas. OGS always use 6 months when he rebuild a team, let us rebuild

Xaviboy

The club is run by clowns. Should of been offered a new contract before Jones, Smalling, Young.

When Herrera didn't play we lost edge in midfield. Always put in a good shift and always kept us ticking in midfield with quick passes.

We really need to upgrade this midfield. Think we need 2 players that will go straight in to starting 11 with Pogba, that's if he stays. Matic, Fred, McTominey and Perrera for back up. Our midfield is not good at all at moment.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The club is run by clowns. Should of been offered a new contract before Jones, Smalling, Young.

When Herrera didn't play we lost edge in midfield. Always put in a good shift and always kept us ticking in midfield with quick passes.

We really need to upgrade this midfield. Think we need 2 players that will go straight in to starting 11 with Pogba, that's if he stays. Matic, Fred, McTominey and Perrera for back up. Our midfield is not good at all at moment.
He was offered a contract before those payers.

We will upgrade the midfield.

Chairman Steve

He undoubtedly has the personality to be a Utd player

BUT

His playing ability doesn’t match that.

I’m somewhat disappointed as I’d have had him stay another season or two but at the end of the day, we could do better when replacing him... not to mention he’s at an age now where this is his last chance for a major contract. If PSG are silly money like huge signing on fee or bigger wages than Utd, then fine he’s got to look after himself and his family at the end of the day.

Does the release of that video mean he’s not playing today then? Otherwise he doesn’t need a video when OT can potentially give him a better send off? Or are the club nervous of negative fan reactions today after the season we’ve had?

He undoubtedly has the personality to be a Utd player

BUT

His playing ability doesn’t match that.

I’m somewhat disappointed as I’d have had him stay another season or two but at the end of the day, we could do better when replacing him... not to mention he’s at an age now where this is his last chance for a major contract. If PSG are silly money like huge signing on fee or bigger wages than Utd, then fine he’s got to look after himself and his family at the end of the day.

Does the release of that video mean he’s not playing today then? Otherwise he doesn’t need a video when OT can potentially give him a better send off? Or are the club nervous of negative fan reactions today after the season we’ve had?
Not in the squad. It's a shame, I would have liked to see him play for us one last time.

crossy1686

career ending
i dont really see the fuss with herrera going tbh.. he had a massive heart but on the ball he offered very little. if we are rebuilding rebuild with youth mctominays there, fred has been improving use them.
Yeah me neither, but then again we've still got fans who talk about Sweinstiger like he was a club legend. Don't get it at all.

Keefy18

That's a nice theory an all but the lad has refused to extend his stay with us for 2 years now pretty much. Sanchez wasn't at the club and Pogba only arrived at the time and he was refusing to stay.

Someone posted an interview he gave in Spain where he admitted in April last year he was unlikely to stay at United.

If money is his motivation that's his personal choice but a large section of our supporter base is creating narratives that quite clearly don't exist to justify his actions in leaving.