Herrera confirms his departure

Bocca9978

More money in an easy league. I shouldn’t blame him but, not really bothered.

PeteManic

I'm a United fan all my life and if United left it this late and another club offered me almost 3 times my wage, I'd do the same.

Imagine turning down £200k+ a week to stay at a club that - in terms of infrastructure - is behind all the other top teams in England never mind in Europe!

arnie_ni

People seem to be glossing over that every manager since he arrived has been hot and cold with him.

Don’t really get it myself. Nothing against Herrera at all myself but he’s hardly much to write home about as a player.
Yet every semblance of good form came with him in the starting 11

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Massive amounts? Doubt it will be more than 200 m out of which majority of the chunk will go to a overprized defender who will take half of our budget. This is how we are badly run.

We already needed 2 midfielders to compete with Herrera staying. Now we need 3.

Likes of Man city and Liverpool will dominate us in next seasons.
You’re talking in made up scenarios and predicting the worst. Just wait and see. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm more sad about our concierge leaving than this. I'm happy the club haven't bowed down to his demands. It's just unfortunate we're getting nothing for him.

Patrick08

Pogba should be, and sometimes is, the rest? No!
Pogba is a overrated player who depends on others to carry his own weight in the team, that weight was carried by Herrera by majority, now he is absolutely useless since than while missing top 4.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Massive amounts? Doubt it will be more than 200 m out of which majority of the chunk will go to a overprized defender who will take half of our budget. This is how we are badly run.

We already needed 2 midfielders to compete with Herrera staying. Now we need 3.

Likes of Man city and Liverpool will dominate us in next seasons.
Did you really expect us to challenge man City and pool in the next few years? Our squad and club is a shambles it's going to take a big rebuild, if we do things right imo 3 years minimum.

Ekeke

Will miss him. Dont know what he wanted in a new contract from United or what we offered but it clearly wasnt very appealing. I hope we can replace his tireless work ethic and willingness to do what the team needs. I suspect we wont for a while

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pogba is a overrated player who depends on others to carry his own weight in the team, that weight was carried by Herrera by majority, now he is absolutely useless since than while missing top 4.
Think with Pogba is he looks the part, but doesn't always deliver.

izec

Will he start for PSG or is he going there to be a backup?
Who knows, the majority will tell you he will be sitting on the bench, but their midfield is low in numbers. Nkunku, Verratti and Paredes on paper. Tuchel played Marquinhos and Alves there, but more because of lack of midfielders i think. It looks like he has decent chances to be starting a lot of games, even if they buy another midfielder. He is versatile and likes to press, which are perfect requirements for Tuchel.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I'm more sad about our concierge leaving than this. I'm happy the club haven't bowed down to his demands. It's just unfortunate we're getting nothing for him.
What were his demands? I don’t have a clue. If they were around £110-£130k a week then we’re fecking idiots for not giving him it because that’s what bloody Jones and Young got. But if it’s upwards of say £175k a week then I’m glad we’re finally growing a back bone.

crossy1686

career ending
What were his demands? I don’t have a clue. If they were around £110-£130k a week then we’re fecking idiots for not giving him it because that’s what bloody Jones and Young got. But if it’s upwards of say £175k a week then I’m glad we’re finally growing a back bone.
Rumours are it was around £200k a week...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I think the rumour was he wanted 200k a week?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:houllier:

He was offered a contract the same as the others. They signed and he didn't but that's our fault?
If the club leave it late then unless the player in question is someone like Young or Jones whom no one would want then they'll be asking for trouble. The player will feel disrespected, other clubs will become interested probably asking more money for him then we do (he'll be a free agent for them) and he might move.

Its time we stop being naive. We should make a clear distinction between dead wood, players who are useful for us and top players.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Who knows, the majority will tell you he will be sitting on the bench, but their midfield is low in numbers. Nkunku, Verratti and Paredes on paper. Tuchel played Marquinhos and Alves there, but more because of lack of midfielders i think. It looks like he has decent chances to be starting a lot of games, even if they buy another midfielder.
He will be a squad player, the fact they got him free helps with their FFP problems.

Sparky Rhiwabon

With all the players we need to get rid of, he’s one of the few players I actually wanted to keep!

Boznich

Gutted, one of the few players who gave 100% every game letting Ander go while giving contracts to Young and Jones..... what the actual F---. This club is fecked.

Minimalist

Yet every semblance of good form came with him in the starting 11
We’ve been underperforming every season since 2013. Forgive me for not finding it impressive.

He’s been just as hit or miss as our form. There’s been tons of matches where he was genuinely dreadful but that’s being glossed over now.

Patrick08

You’re talking in made up scenarios and predicting the worst. Just wait and see. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Look around us, every epl team will have ucl football if arsenal wins Europa league while one of them may be winning a domestic treble and one of them the champions league. The worst is already here, while I am predicting mediocrity for more years to come while more sensible clubs will dominate us as they are not run by clowns like us.

crossy1686

career ending
If the club leave it late then unless the player in question is someone like Young or Jones whom no one would want then they'll be asking for trouble. The player will feel disrespected, other clubs will become interested probably asking more money for him then we do (he'll be a free agent for them) and he might move.

Its time we stop being naive. We should make a clear distinction between dead wood, players who are useful for us and top players.
The club didn't leave it late. He was offered a contract at the same time as the others but they signed and he didn't because he wanted £200k a week and we refused to meet his demands.

Stop pretending he's been hard done by, he wasn't offered a 0 hour contract, he was offered a very lucrative deal and if he doesn't want to accept it and he thinks he do better elsewhere then good for him. But let's stop pretending Herrera is a victim here shall we?

His contract situation has absolutely nothing to do with anyone but him.

Patrick08

Did you really expect us to challenge man City and pool in the next few years? Our squad and club is a shambles it's going to take a big rebuild, if we do things right imo 3 years minimum.
Letting Herrera go you now you are already making your job much harder than it was. How about that sense of bad business.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Shame. If I was listing our players in order of who should leave, he'd be somewhere near the end.

It's less that he is a particularly brilliant footballer (he's not), more that he's at least a player whose character, work rate and professionalism I have no reason to question. He would have been good to have during the coming transition period.

Also, this means we now have another player we need to replace at a time when there are about a dozen player we want to replace. Every good player we lose impacts on our chances of improving elsewhere.

Oh well, good luck to the guy.

JMack1234

I wish him all the best.

Always gave 100% and it felt like he understood what it was to be a United player and he'll need replacing ASAP.

I don't wish him any luck at Plastic S G but I do wish all the best personally because he seems like a good bloke.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Good player, but I really never understood the level of hype and adoration he got on here. Maybe it was because he was basically our first "proper" midfield signing in about 5 years. Maybe it is just because he was energetic. Honestly though, he was never anything more than an average/good player I think, and I dont feel like he should be that hard to replace. And now it seems he is moving for the money - I imagine the reaction and response would be far worse a less liked player did the same thing.

I wish him all the best for the future.

Dinghy

He'd never have gotten that PSG-contract if Ole hadn't put him in the team from day one and played him every week. Herrera took the chance and then decided to feck off for the money after his manager had deemed him as an important player for the future here.

Won't be missed.

izec

Shame. If I was listing our players in order of who should leave, he'd be somewhere near the end.

It's less that he is a particularly brilliant footballer (he's not), more that he's at least a player whose character, work rate and professionalism I have no reason to question. He would have been good to have durong the coming transition period.

Also, this means we now have another player we need to replace at a time when there are about a dozen player we want to replace. Every good player we lose impacts on our chances of improving elsewhere.

Oh well, good luck to the guy.
I have no faith in the club replacing him with a similar or better player. And as you said, with so many upgrades/replacements needed, you just know someone will not be replaced. It is the worst moment in time to lose him.

Patrick08

Good player, but I really never understood the level of hype and adoration he got on here. Maybe it was because he was basically our first "proper" midfield signing in about 5 years. Maybe it is just because he was energetic. Honestly though, he was never anything more than an average/good player I think, and I dont feel like he should be that hard to replace. And now it seems he is moving for the money - I imagine the reaction and response would be far worse a less liked player did the same thing.

I wish him all the best for the future.
He was never really that good a player as the poor managers we hired didn't know how to use him in the first place .

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Sad he's going, and sad the sticking point was money.

But if he can go earn some easy money and bag guaranteed success, then you can't blame him.

We're a mess, and I expect many of this squad want out. It's just a shame Ander is one of the last ones you'd say good riddance to, and we'll be stuck with the ones we probably don't want.