Higuain to leave Real Madrid

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Higuain is pretty much an ideal signing for Arsenal I'd say. He'll get them goals.

Ekeke

Can't agree Benzema is clearly better. Even last season Higuain is more effective and scored more goals, and they still share squad rotation role equally. If Benzema is clearly better there would be no contest at all. But Benzema is better all round player I agree, Real may have preferred Benzema all round game rather than Higuain effectiveness and consistency in front of goals.
Scoring more goals doesn't always make you the more effective player. Ronaldo is Real Madrid's big goalscorer and Benzema plays a lot better with him and sets up him and other players a lot more than Higuain. Benzema directly set up 11 goals last season, thats 5th most in la liga - a league well known for its clever, creative players who carve out oppertunities. Each and every one of the four above him (Iniesta, Ozil, Messi, Fabregas in order of 1st to 4th) started at least 4 more matches than he did. So its a particularly impressive feat.

Higuain scored more because he's more selfish.

If Benzema isn't better than why are Madrid keen to sell Higuain?

Duafc

Village Lemon
The benzema/higuain argument is redundant.

Arsenal need a goalscorer to lead the line, if you don't think Higuain is a clever and very good signing, I'm at a loss.

Ekeke

United need a signing to stop their supporters getting jealous of other teams.
We got one, Robin Van Persie. Won us the title.

Think you'll have to go back many a year to find a United fan on here silly enough to want us to sign Higuain. And thats saying something, because we have plenty of poor posters.

He's still a good player but predictably the Arsenal posters want him made out to be the messiah

Duafc

Village Lemon

Think you'll have to go back many a year to find a United fan on here silly enough to want us to sign Higuain. And thats saying something, because we have plenty of poor posters.

He's still a good player but predictably the Arsenal posters want him made out to be the messiah

Really?

alastair

ignorant
Why would United be bothered about you signing a striker who wouldn't start for us? Maybe not even replace Hernandez on the bench

Do you really think Gonzalo Higuain would not displace Hernandez on the bench?

I like Hernandez. I think he's underused at United and would thrive at a slightly lesser club. But come on.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Give what a rest? Are we friends now since you called me "mate" haha? I was debating the "he did have that one sensational season under Schuster (?) but other times he's looked like an uninterested, useless lump not unlike Adebayor" part, which is untrue and unfair.

Is it? It's a somewhat poorly constructed sentence in the sense that it gives a misleading representation of my overall view on Higuaín but calling him an uninterested, useless lump when he's out of form (which isn't as uncommon as Arsenal supporters seem to be suggesting) is completely fair in my view. He's been completely anonymous on many occasions. More than most top strikers, IMO.

I agree that the Arsenal fans are getting carried away here but I don't understand why you now think Higuaín's just a good player that's so obviously worse than Benzema? I do think Benzema suits their team better but Madrid have sold great players year after year, many of them better than the players they've kept in the same position.

I'd take Higuain too.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
:lol:

I'd agree that Benzema is better than Higuain but not by a huge distance at all, I think it's the difference in style that has caused Madrid to opt for one over the other.

Ekeke

Do you really think Gonzalo Higuain would not displace Hernandez on the bench?

I like Hernandez. I think he's underused at United and would thrive at a slightly lesser club. But come on.
If we bought Higuain for £22 million maybe because of the price tag he'd see a bit more play, but Hernandez is a great sub and has proven himself time and again at United especially in that role. Its an obvious one in most cases that we'd go with Hernandez on the bench. Most clubs would.

If RVP didnt exist and for some reason we had Higuain, I'd still hope we'd pick Hernandez to start. His build up play is basic but intelligent, Higuain's is mostly uninvolved. Put the ball into the box and Hernandez will make it his and score big goals in big matches more often than Higuain would.

I honestly dont think anyone does him any favours comparing him to Hernandez, because Hernandez is more natural and gifted at the part Higuain is also best at. Goal poaching. Hernandez's reactions, predictions and game reading are pretty incredible. Same with his fantastic leap and surprisingly brilliant heading. He's just better at it. Where he's a bit limited compared to some other strikers is in build up play, but he makes pretty good choices even if its not flashy. Just move the ball on and get in the box. Higuain will make that correct choice less often - at the same time hes more likely to suddenly complete a good turn away from a player and run the ball towards goal and fire it in. Hernandez is going to do that solo play less often but it really doesnt matter if he just passes the ball towards the flank then gets in the box to head it home.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Scoring more goals doesn't always make you the more effective player. Ronaldo is Real Madrid's big goalscorer and Benzema plays a lot better with him and sets up him and other players a lot more than Higuain. Benzema directly set up 11 goals last season, thats 5th most in la liga - a league well known for its clever, creative players who carve out oppertunities. Each and every one of the four above him (Iniesta, Ozil, Messi, Fabregas in order of 1st to 4th) started at least 4 more matches than he did. So its a particularly impressive feat.

Higuain scored more because he's more selfish.

If Benzema isn't better than why are Madrid keen to sell Higuain?
Oh come on he is a striker and he has scored more goals only because he's selfish? That doesn't make any sense at all, when his main role in the team is to put the final ball into the net. Again Benzema might have a better all round game last season, but you still can't just totally ignore Higuain achievement over past 5 seasons. He has always been among one of the top goal scorer in the league. There's too much exaggeration in your comparison.

Ekeke

Oh come on he is a striker and he has scored more goals only because he's selfish? That doesn't make any sense at all, when his main role in the team is to put the final ball into the net. Again Benzema might have a better all round game last season, but you still can't just totally ignore Higuain achievement over past 5 seasons. He has always been among one of the top goal scorer in the league. There's too much exaggeration in your comparison.
I said he's more selfish than Benzema who created 11 goals for team mates in 19 starts. Thats probably more about Benzema than it is about Higuain. There are plenty of more selfish strikers who were still better than Benzema is, like Eto'o. Being selfish is one the main reasons he scored so many goals for Barcelona and in that team, it worked. But Higuain isnt Eto'o. And Benzema set up a lot of goals for teammates even though he scored less than Higuain. Its better for the team. Its better for most teams.

Higuain wasn't one of the top goalscorers last season, starting 19 matches is the obvious reason but it obviously clouds your point when you make it like that

Castia

He'd be a great signing for Arsenal, he's 10 times better than anybody they have upfront at the moment. Interesting to see who else they go for this summer....3-4 signings of Higuain's caliber and they could actually challenge for silverware next season. I still think they need a top class keeper and 1 or 2 quality defenders though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I said he's more selfish than Benzema who created 11 goals for team mates in 19 starts. Thats probably more about Benzema than it is about Higuain. There are plenty of more selfish strikers who were still better than Benzema is, like Eto'o. Being selfish is one the main reasons he scored so many goals for Barcelona and in that team, it worked. But Higuain isnt Eto'o. And Benzema set up a lot of goals for teammates even though he scored less than Higuain. Its better for the team. Its better for most teams.

Higuain wasn't one of the top goalscorers last season, starting 19 matches is the obvious reason but it obviously clouds your point when you make it like that
You've lost it. I didn't say he did well last season. Rooney didn't play well last season too, that doesn't make Welbeck clearly better than him obviously. I am talking about past 5 long seasons, Higuain has a very impressive record, you can't deny that can you?

And now you are saying assist is more important that goals that's why Benzema is a better player? At best I'd say its equal.

Now's lets look at Higuain last season stats (one of his worst season) at Real: 16 goals, 5 assist in the league in 28 games, compare with Benzema 11 goals, 11 assist in 30 games. This doesn't show Benzema is clearly better at all in terms of end products (Benzema made/scored 22 goals in 30 games, Higuain made/scored 21 goal in 28 games). Again I agreed Benzma may have better all round games last season, but that's about it.

Ekeke

You've lost it. I didn't say he did well last season. Rooney didn't play well last season too, that doesn't make Welbeck clearly better than him obviously. I am talking about past 5 long seasons, Higuain has a very impressive record, you can't deny that can you?

And now you are saying assist is more important that goals that's why Benzema is a better player? At best I'd say its equal.

Now's lets look at Higuain last season stats (one of his worst season) at Real: 16 goals, 5 assist in the league in 28 games, compare with Benzema 11 goals, 11 assist in 30 games. This doesn't show Benzema is clearly better at all in terms of end products (Benzema made/scored 22 goals in 30 games, Higuain made/scored 21 goal in 28 games). Again I agreed Benzma may have better all round games last season, but that's about it.

You never had it. If you say 5 seasons then its 5 seasons or bust. If its 4 seasons then you're wrong. Its 4 seasons.

His record was good, like Benzema he had shared game time and despite that Higuain scored a very nice amount of goals. But what? Benzema has the better all round game, always did have. It isnt a one season thing and it isnt a maybe. This refutes your suggestion that Higuain is more effective.

LoveInTheAsylum

What's Ekeke written that's so objectionable that you cannot lower yourself to argue against & form a constructive post?

It wasn't all that long ago I think when Wenger wouldn't go for a player of Higuaín's pretty ordinary technical & game reading abilities (despite his obvious talent), at times to the detriment of the team. It would be sad seeing Wenger now continuously betray those principles if it wasn't for the genius of the last few transfer windows, setting expectations so low that these days you can see just about anyone as an Arsenal player & it not taking much to be an improvement on the last business they did.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
What's Ekeke written that's so objectionable that you cannot lower yourself to argue against & form a constructive post?

It wasn't all that long ago I think when Wenger wouldn't go for a player of Higuaín's pretty ordinary technical & game reading abilities (despite his obvious talent), at times to the detriment of the team. It would be sad seeing Wenger now continuously betray those principles if it wasn't for the genius of the last few transfer windows, setting expectations so low that these days you can see just about anyone as an Arsenal player & it not taking much to be an improvement on the last business they did.

He's been an anti-Arsenal muppet for years. Give it another couple posts and he will start talking about "winning mentality".

-Benzema clearly better than Higuain
-Soldado better than Higuain
-United fans would be silly to want Higuain

LoveInTheAsylum

He's been an anti-Arsenal muppet for years. Give it another couple posts and he will start talking about "winning mentality".

I'm interested in seeing people make a case for Higuaín over Benzema. The debate above isn't pointless and I agree with what Ekeke put forward - I much prefer Benzema because he makes the game easier for those around him.

I don't watch enough of La Liga & Soldado to have a worthwhile opinion, but it looks like it could be another interesting comparison. No doubt Soldado had the better season just gone & his recent goalscoring record, like Higuaín's, is very good. Soldado's record in Europe actually seems to match his league exploits, though.

The toss can be argued all day over words like silly, but there wouldn't be many strikers I'd want over the current options at United. I think the point is that to be a nailed on starter at an elite club (like United & Madrid), you either have to have a freakish goalscoring record, or have a lot more to your game than goals. I think there are valid enough questions over Higuaín's record (the amount he scores against top teams) for there to be some debate as to whether he should lead the line for a top club, something his move would demand.

The Neviller

Higuain really is being ridiculously underrated in here, and I can only think that it's because he might be going to Arsenal. If he makes the move I think quite a few people will look a bit silly when he scores a substantial amount of goals for them.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Tends to happen when Ekeke is the leading poster.
What you said.

I like his insight on Spanish players and the League, but when it comes to anything Arsenal he's a bit of a dipshite. I still remember the Cazorla thread :lol:.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Couple more signings like this and Arsenal could be dark horses for the title.

Ekeke

He's been an anti-Arsenal muppets for years. Give it another couple posts and he will start talking about "winning mentality".

True. Of course its anti-Arsenal to point out they wont be signing Mata and the rest.

I remember the Cazorla thread too. Wait, if Higuain is the Messiah, was Cazorla a false prophet? Or do you now have two messiahs?

Duafc

Village Lemon
True. Of course its anti-Arsenal to point out they wont be signing Mata and the rest.

I remember the Cazorla thread too. Wait, if Higuain is the Messiah, was Cazorla a false prophet? Or do you now have two messiahs?

You're mental... of course they won't be signing Mata, he plays for Chelsea and is under contract until summer 2016.

Nobody is saying he's the messiah, but you.

Cazorla had a pretty brilliant first season and always looked lively and a very good player.. 12 goals and 16 assists... Compare that to Kagawa's 6 and 6 and you see maybe just how good he was for arsenal? They both play a similarish role and were both in their first seasons, warranted Cazorla played a lot more games.

You're coming off like a total spaz.

Devil may care

Falcao has gone to Monaco, Lewandowski looks like he'll see out his Dortmund contract and go to Bayern, and Cavani costs £54M. So that's the best 3 strikers on the market gone.

Arsenal need more goal threat and while Higuain has flaws he is a goal scorer who has top level experience, is still young and available at a decent price. I think he's one of the best realistic buys Arsenal could make in the striker department.

Ekeke

You're mental... of course they won't be signing Mata, he plays for Chelsea and is under contract until summer 2016.

Nobody is saying he's the messiah, but you.

Cazorla had a pretty brilliant first season and always looked lively and a very good player.. 12 goals and 16 assists... Compare that to Kagawa's 6 and 6 and you see maybe just how good he was for arsenal? They both play a similarish role and were both in their first seasons, warranted Cazorla played a lot more games.

You're coming off like a total spaz.
Well insult me more and maybe I'll get the message.

Pete is typically making out he's a better player than he is. And if you actually read the thread you'd see I'm not the only one who thinks so. You'd also see me saying he's a good player a tier below some of the best strikers in the world and that he's still the same player Madrid were keen to see leave years ago, but he just kept scoring and they couldnt go through with it and bring in someone to replace him. Thats how I remember it anyway, pretty sure Perez and some of the other bodies werent keen on him but while you're scoring lots of goals its hard to turf you out. And to his credit he's kept doing that till now

He's also actually won a significant league title in his career. So he can talk your players through what it actually takes to do it.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Well insult me more and maybe I'll get the message.

Pete is typically making out he's a better player than he is. And if you actually read the thread you'd see I'm not the only one who thinks so. You'd also see me saying he's a good player a tier below some of the best strikers in the world and that he's still the same player Madrid were keen to see leave years ago, but he just kept scoring and they couldnt go through with it and bring in someone to replace him. Thats how I remember it anyway, pretty sure Perez and some of the other bodies werent keen on him but while you're scoring lots of goals its hard to turf you out. And to his credit he's kept doing that till now

He's also actually won a significant league title in his career. So he can talk your players through what it actually takes to do it.

I'm a united fan. You seem very spiteful towards arsenal.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Nah, he's not. He's a good signing for your lot, he'll do well and score goals, but he isn't a better striker than Hernandez.

Tough one, I'd rather have Hernandez, but at this moment in time I'd say Higuain is the better player... he's performed consistently well for Real Madrid, very strong scoring record over 5 years. It trumps Hernandez to date, for me. His goal to games ratio is better for club and country, although that never tells the whole story. He established himself earlier in world football.

That being said, higuain needs a move to revitalise his career and get away from whats been a pretty grim time at madrid considering his talent and goals. Hernandez in comparison is on the up and up and you get the feeling that although they are both 25 Chich is still getting better and better.

Duafc

Village Lemon

Some of his best goals, he looks more comparable to RVP, than Hernandez based on that compilation. I think his technique and ability are being sorely underrated here.

The Neviller

Tough one, I'd rather have Hernandez, but at this moment in time I'd say Higuain is the better player... he's performed consistently well for Real Madrid, very strong scoring record over 5 years. It trumps Hernandez to date, for me. His goal to games ratio is better for club and country, although that never tells the whole story. He established himself earlier in world football.

That being said, higuain needs a move to revitalise his career and get away from whats been a pretty grim time at madrid considering his talent and goals. Hernandez in comparison is on the up and up and you get the feeling that although they are both 25 Chich is still getting better and better.
Higuain doesn't have a better goal to game ratio at all. Over the length of their career they both have a record of a goal every 2.2 games, or thereabouts. Almost identical. In fact Hernandez has a slightly better record, by a minimal margin (he scores a goal every 2.19 games, Higuain every 2.24).