Hillsborough: Duckenfield to be charged with manslaughter

Tarrou

You know what, my heart truly goes out to those 96 that bought tickets and got into the ground within the designated time that the ticket stated.

People are afraid to say it, the police were at fault for making the decision to open the gates but you must question all those fans that travelled without a ticket and tried to jib their way into the game.

The crush was inevitable, whether it was outside the ground or in the ground. Take away the fans without tickets trying to jib their way in and you avoid the whole disaster.

Booze would've also been a factor but we dont need to bring that into it.

The Police made the wrong decision in opening the gates, however people never look at the whole story though.
That's a bizarre way of looking at it. There's always a small minority who'll try and sneak in for free, and seeing as it always happens it's up to the people planning the event to take the necessary safety precautions with that in mind. To blame fans who jibbed is just plain wrong.

And why would booze be a factor? Again, people are always going to have a drink before a football game. So what? What absolute horse-shit.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
You know what, my heart truly goes out to those 96 that bought tickets and got into the ground within the designated time that the ticket stated.

People are afraid to say it, the police were at fault for making the decision to open the gates but you must question all those fans that travelled without a ticket and tried to jib their way into the game.

The crush was inevitable, whether it was outside the ground or in the ground. Take away the fans without tickets trying to jib their way in and you avoid the whole disaster.

The Police made the wrong decision in opening the gates, however people never look at the whole story though.
Iam not and never will say there wasnt any ticketless fans . It was like that for most teams back then. What I will say is your statement needs evidence. Solid evidence .

Booze . It was a footie match which means that most people drink . Especially in the semi's.

One question . Where is this rampaging drunken mob that forced down the gates ? It never existed and you.know it.

Many factors contributed to fans being late mate . Traffic congestion on the Pennines being one. Was you aware of this ?

Anyway. Youre speaking shite lad and you fecking know it .

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Disgusting that an inquest cleared the fans of any blame, but there are still people on here trying to find reason to blame them because they do not like Liverpool F.C. Have a look at yourselves.
And that is it a nutshell.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

You need to do yourself a favour and learn something about a subject before speaking and revealing your ignorance.

Kag

The fecking state of that post.

After all this time, and we still need to read wormy shite like that? Some of you lot have done well to even respond with rational critique.

redmeister

You wouldn't have just opened a gate and let a massive unspecified amount of people, that you hadn't even checked all had tickets, go in without the security of single file through turnstiles though surely?
Off the top of my head I can't remember the details, but I seem to remember there were concerns that they'd miss the kick off and that some fans were getting frustrated. I think also the officer who made the decision was unfamiliar with the tunnel at Hillsborough. This details could be wrong, but I do remember when watching it thinking that I might have done the same. That's not defending it, as it was a decision with tragic consequences. I'm just saying what I thought when watching a documentary and reading a website dedicated the disaster.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
The fecking state of that post.

After all this time, and we still need to read wormy shite like that? Some of you lot have done well to even respond with rational critique.
He needs educating.

I've messaged one or two on here over the years and advised them to watch " How they buried the truth " . The last person was a Juventus fan when he posted shite ( he has reasons to be angry ) on the Hillsborough anniversary this year. Fair play to him as he apologised .

People still need educating .

BigTimeCharlie

Absolute bollocks.
Disgusting that an inquest cleared the fans of any blame, but there are still people on here trying to find reason to blame them because they do not like Liverpool F.C. Have a look at yourselves.
You need to read more about it. The whole tragedy has been picked apart and experts have concluded that it wasn't caused by the behaviour of the fans.

Those who've spent years looking at all the evidence have been very clear about why so many people died.
That's a bizarre way of looking at it. There's always a small minority who'll try and sneak in for free, and seeing as it always happens it's up to the people planning the event to take the necessary safety precautions with that in mind. To blame fans who jibbed is just plain wrong.

And why would booze be a factor? Again, people are always going to have a drink before a football game. So what? What absolute horse-shit.
Iam not and never will say there wasnt any ticketless fans . It was like that for most teams back then. What I will say is your statement needs evidence. Solid evidence .

Booze . It was a footie match which means that most people drink . Especially in the semi's.

One question . Where is this rampaging drunken mob that forced down the gates ? It never existed and you.know it.

Many factors contributed to fans being late mate . Traffic congestion on the Pennines being one. Was you aware of this ?

Anyway. Youre speaking shite lad and you fecking know it .
You need to do yourself a favour and learn something about a subject before speaking and revealing your ignorance.
Forst and foremost it doesn't matter which team was involved at all my views wouldn't change. I have no ignorance around the matter, my cousins were there that day with their dad. Thankfully they got tickets in the opposite end and what I believe is exactly their accounts.

Yes the Sun is scum and shouldn't have published thst fans were rifling through the pockets looking to rob, when they were helping with identification.

Yes the police made the call to open the gates which lead to many innocent fans getting killed, those that got in on time and had a ticket and there was a massive cover up by thr police to shift blame which was wrong and they were found out about it.

If you think that all fans attempting to gain access had tickets thrn that is the ignorance. Its not just Liverpool thst did it in the 80's it still happens to this fay and many many fans turn up without tickets.

Yes they've had an inquest that now blames the police, just when the previous one cleared them so that in itself shows how reliable the inquests are, they cater to what the public want to hear at the time of it taking place.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two.

Speaking out about anything of this nature feels like i am guilty of warcrimes or something, if anybody can't handle the rational regarding these posts then welcome to the world where the media is king.

The 96 that died are the true victims here, ive been to plenty of away games where there is pushing and there are more fans than the capacity of the allocation given how is this possible? Someone isn't doing their job somewhere.

The fact is, the police and ticketless fans trying to jib in caused this, I'm just stating what is common sense and from accounts of people there. You cannot single out and blame any one of the ticketless fans trying to get in, the blame goes to the police for failing to control the fans.

Even in the official inquest you know the reasons why they opened the gates?

Not here to argue, just to provide another view point that nobody wants to talk about. There are plenty of examples.

Bbc debunking everything ive said above and then contradict themselves, when you read the taylor report, even they admit there were "some" fans without tickets and "some" drunk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-35473732

Let me repeat, the 96 are victims and it is a tragedy regardless of which club. The truth lies between both reports.

This wasn't the first match at hillsborough with a capacity crowd.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm still shocked that 96 people died in this disaster. Surreal to think about.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Off the top of my head I can't remember the details, but I seem to remember there were concerns that they'd miss the kick off and that some fans were getting frustrated. I think also the officer who made the decision was unfamiliar with the tunnel at Hillsborough. This details could be wrong, but I do remember when watching it thinking that I might have done the same. That's not defending it, as it was a decision with tragic consequences. I'm just saying what I thought when watching a documentary and reading a website dedicated the disaster.
They closed the tunnel in 1988 when we played Forest. Like Ive said bones were broke that day and people fainted. Was it Duckenfield who ordered the gates to be open ? Think it was . How can the person in charge not know the layout of the ground ? It beggars belief.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The police commanders aren't supposed to be amateurs though. There's a recording of John Motson, pre-match, looking at the terrace and commenting on how odd the loading was - as if everyone was being fed into the middle pens and no one directed to the corners. The people who should have noticed the problem, and who could have dealt with it, ignored it.

Obviously it was not just one man's fault but even if it had been, then the chance for it to be treated as a tragic accident vanished the moment they started lying about it.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
To counter act you BTC .

If it was a common occurance back then ( jibbing in ) and if it wasn't the first time Hillsborough was at capacity then this begs the question.....

Why did it happen ?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Bbc debunking everything ive said above and then contradict themselves, when you read the taylor report, even they admit
It was a football match. There were a lot of fans there, some had been drinking, some didn't have tickets - nothing out of the ordinary for a match, and nothing out of the ordinary for a Cup semifinal.

There was nothing special about the crowd in terms of its conduct, except that it was a bigger crowd than normal for that stadium and the majority of fans were unfamiliar with the layout of the ground.

The police knew all of that before the match, that's why the CPS are bringing charges now. Not because people have forgotten it was a football crowd, but because the police knew in advance that a football crowd was going to be there, and should have been prepared for it.

BigTimeCharlie

To counter act you BTC .

If it was a common occurance back then ( jibbing in ) and if it wasn't the first time Hillsborough was at capacity then this begs the question.....

Why did it happen ?
Or better yet, why was it allowed to happen? No ticket - no entry simple. Authorities/security are to blame.

The liverpool echo posted this account in 2014 from a turnstyle attendant

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/turnstile-operator-tells-hillsborough-inquests-7782185

Could also blame Sheffield Wednesday/FA/whoever is in charge of hiring the turnstyle staff as this guy let anyone through anyway.

Blackburn away 2006, my last ewood park game, there were too many fans for the away end there. Turns out many jibbed in, happened then not so much anymore with the terror alerts going on.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
It happend because the bizzies fecked up.

It really is that simple mate .

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Or better yet, why was it allowed to happen? No ticket - no entry simple. Authorities/security are to blame.

The liverpool echo posted this account in 2014 from a turnstyle attendant

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/turnstile-operator-tells-hillsborough-inquests-7782185

Could also blame Sheffield Wednesday/FA/whoever is in charge of hiring the turnstyle staff as this guy let anyone through anyway.

Blackburn away 2006, my last ewood park game, there were too many fans for the away end there. Turns out many jibbed in, happened then not so much anymore with the terror alerts going on.
Mate, you don't get police officers up on manslaughter charges for 95 (why is it only 95 by the way?) people if they aren't at fault.

I did my own research over a few months before the huge investigation took place and i found the same verdict as the panel did. I suggest that you watch many of the same things that I did. If you look hard enough you can even find the Match of the Day that aired that night complete with aerial pictures of both the outside area and the leppings lane end. It is instantly clear that the pen on the far left hand side as you look at it is almost completely empty.

Also, you mentioned that it wasn't the first big semi-final at Hillsborough, You obviously forgot the 1981 semi final where there was very nearly a fatal crush at the same end of the ground, That was 8 years before and very nearly ended the same way.....only this was midway through the game, so either the tickletless hordes that you proclaim caused this were really really late or you are talking shite.

I will also point out that although this wasn't the first semi at hillsborough it WAS Duckenfields first and he made a catastrophic clusterfeck out of it and caused the deaths of 96 innocent people.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Mate, you don't get police officers up on manslaughter charges for 95 (why is it only 95 by the way?) people if they aren't at fault.

I did my own research over a few months before the huge investigation took place and i found the same verdict as the panel did. I suggest that you watch many of the same things that I did. If you look hard enough you can even find the Match of the Day that aired that night complete with aerial pictures of both the outside area and the leppings lane end. It is instantly clear that the pen on the far left hand side as you look at it is almost completely empty.

Also, you mentioned that it wasn't the first big semi-final at Hillsborough, You obviously forgot the 1981 semi final where there was very nearly a fatal crush at the same end of the ground, That was 8 years before and very nearly ended the same way.....only this was midway through the game, so either the tickletless hordes that you proclaim caused this were really really late or you are talking shite.

I will also point out that although this wasn't the first semi at hillsborough it WAS Duckenfields first and he made a catastrophic clusterfeck out of it and caused the deaths of 96 innocent people.
Tony Bland was the 96th . He died four years after as was on a machine. The law states something about with it being over a year or something.

If you take it into account suicides or people just not being able to continue in life then the toll is more than 96. With people being blamed for so long you can not even begin to imagine how this effected them. Our kid couldn't even speak about it for years. He tried to take his life on a few occasions too.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
If ticketless Liverpool fans were a contributory factor in the tragedy, why didn't it happen the previous year. Same teams, same venue, same competition. Only difference being of course is that there was an experienced officer in charge in 1988 & an inexperienced one in charge the following year. & I've mentioned this a few times on here. There were still tickets on sale on the day before. I know this because I bought 3 for the Leppings Lane on the Friday afternoon prior to the match.

Kag

He needs educating.

I've messaged one or two on here over the years and advised them to watch " How they buried the truth " . The last person was a Juventus fan when he posted shite ( he has reasons to be angry ) on the Hillsborough anniversary this year. Fair play to him as he apologised .

People still need educating .
I understand that, but I find it genuinely astounding that after all of the reports, inquests and new information presented publicly over recent years (and well done to your brother and everybody else who has fought for the truth) that there are people still recklessly arguing that ticketless fans (or those who were pissed) contributed to those deaths. They did not.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Tony Bland was the 96th . He died four years after as was on a machine. The law states something about with it being over a year or something.

If you take it into account suicides or people just not being able to continue in life then the toll is more than 96. With people being blamed for so long you can not even begin to imagine how this effected them. Our kid couldn't even speak about it for years. He tried to take his life on a few occasions too.
That's awful man. it was clear once i took the time to look into it that it was nobodies fault except those in charge that day. The fact it has taken 28 years to finally bring charges is nothing short of disgusting.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It really was a butterfly effect.

SYP officers being wankers contributing to the lead officer usually in charge of stadium security on match days not being there and Duckenfield being put in his place with no experience and certainly no care for the event or the fans that travelled there.

Travelled to Sheffield from Merseyside countless times over the past four years or so, it's an awful trip there and once into Sheffield it's a bloody awful place to navigate too. Assuming it's been like that for a while then big matches must be a nightmare for everyone involved. No wonder so many people turned up on the late-side of getting to the ground. It was a clusterfeck from then on.

Went to Hillsborough for a Wednesday game a few years back and walked around the ground with my mate, Leppings Lane is a terrible entry for thousands of football fans and that's before you get to what was on the other side of the turnstiles.

Sadly the chain of events happened the way they did and poor, innocent people lost their lives in a truly despicable and horrifying manner.

Everything that's happened since has been a microcosm of the awful conditions in which they passed away.

I can see @BigTimeCharlie's rationale for trying to 'contribute' with the ticketless fans argument and doubtless there were some and doubtless there were drunk fans too but the police at the time knew this and would've accounted for it all in previous years.

1989 with a new person in charge completely underqualified and inexperienced in the role was a disaster waiting to happen. No you shouldn't be counting on thousands of ticketless fans turning up but also I don't believe there were thousands either. The size of the crowd going into the Leppings Lane end wouldn't have been much different from previous years if at all.

Simply put ticketless, drunk fans is an excuse parroted by the police and media to cover up their feck up and it doesn't hold water.

In any case hopefully Duckenfield and the others rot for what they did. Just a shame a lot of the people involved in the disgrace that came after it will be long dead. There's no doubt this went all the way up the chain of command to Maggie at some point, there's no way they could've gotten away with it for so long otherwise.

RIP the 96. Glad for the families and friends that they're finally seeing what they've hoped for for so long.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Much love and respect to the people of Liverpool.

I'm avoiding addressing BTC's posts, and the politics of this entire saga, for fear of boiling over.

Frank Grimes

It's crazy to think that police even used drunk and ticketless fans as an excuse. It was there job to make provisions for such factors that were obviously going to occur in a crowd of thousands of football fans(from any club). They failed to set up a ticket check before the turnstiles as they had previous years. Duckenfield also failed by moving the kickoff back by half an hour so the people caught up outside could be filtered through in time for the game.

Mainly though I feel Hillsborough stadium was dangerous. The way of access through the turnstiles at Leppings Lane was an accident waiting to happen, close calls in previous years went unheeded and unfortunately this and the grave mistake of opening the gate with no police blocking the tunnel contributed to an awful tragedy.

I hope the families get the Justice they and their loved ones deserve.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I was at Hillsborough, but not in the Leppings Lane End.

Thanks to all who have posted their sincere and well received comments, a shame someone has spoilt it a little and it's become a bit of a debate.
But to everyone else a big thank you from LFC and the families concerned.

JFT96

Last edited:

Glad they're finally going to string someone up for it.

It was a mess from the start, police, fans, the lot. Regardless of who was to blame there are no excuses for the cover up that took place afterwards.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I understand that, but I find it genuinely astounding that after all of the reports, inquests and new information presented publicly over recent years (and well done to your brother and everybody else who has fought for the truth) that there are people still recklessly arguing that ticketless fans (or those who were pissed) contributed to those deaths. They did not.
It's a human condition to stick to their guns or their initial opinion no matter how many facts they are present with. Not everyone does this but some people do.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Delighted for every family that fought for this. JFT 96 indeed!!

Still astounds me that how the feck that a coverup like this happened in a place like UK which is one of the most advanced countries in the world.

Also @Cassady your brother is a hero, mate.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
The cover up of it all is still the thing that I find the most disgusting. People make mistakes and had they held there hands up at the time and admitted they had made a monumental feck up then that would be one thing. But everything that happened after was just awful.
Hmm I'm torn on this. I haven't seen enough of the detail to make any kind of judgement, but have seen documentaries etc that highlight all the errors.

The problem is why were these errors made. Could another person have reasonably chosen similar courses of action purely on a bad judgement call.

The cover up side of things I think has some merit, i.e its not exactly great for the public to view the police as grossly incompetent. That being said there is a balance, but again it's always a judgement call. The police I would expect regularly cover up mistakes along the way. The nature of what they do will put them on the boundaries of questioning all the time, e.g the Mark Duggan incident.

In most people's jobs errors don't put them in prison. So I do think rationale needs to be considered in context.

Surgeons make mistakes and might be sued, but you won't see many go to prison.

Life isn't an exact science. I'm sure many of those who made mistakes have been stuck living with them their whole lives.

And the not getting justice early enough has done what exactly? Helped a few people who screwed up have a career helping the public.

Don't get me wrong there will always be deplorables and maybe I don't know enough of the detail to comment, but just as a general principle I sometimes think the need for blood for blood isn't healthy.

Tarrou

And the not getting justice early enough has done what exactly? Helped a few people who screwed up have a career helping the public.
And left the people who lost friends and family fighting for justice for decades, unable to move on with their lives or properly grieve for their loved ones because they were essentially blamed for their own deaths.

This isn't about "the need for blood for blood" as you put it. It's about people not taking responsibility for their mistakes and instead blaming others for it.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
And left the people who lost friends and family fighting for justice for decades, unable to move on with their lives or properly grieve for their loved ones because they were essentially blamed for their own deaths.
I just think put yourselves in their shoes. A combination of probably not realising the errors made, so assuming public to blame or at least detracting from errors. Then maybe realising the errors, but keeping the shield of police to stop them appearing as grossly inept.

I think it's really easy to jump on the blame wagon, especially when in pain and feeling some how blamed yourself. But sometimes the best thing to do is say look its been a terrible day with a lot of errors. Let's work together to make sure this doesn't happen again.

It just feels sad to have all this time fighting for 'justice' which doesn't bring anyone back or change anything. It just calls for blood from those who are trying to move on from their errors and in many cases probably going on to do good work for the public.

Everyone knows what it is to cover up, or lie like, maybe a white lie, maybe something bigger. And some will know what it is to cover a lie with a lie or even just to get straight up defensive. In an incident like this I think the question that needs to be asked is did anyone take any specific malicious action knowing people would get hurt and doing it anyway? Or did they have regularly, specific and quality training that would have covered their error and thus that error was more than a reasonable person could be expected to make.

If not, should anyone really be called to 'justice' any more than a disciplinary at work would give?

Tarrou

Let's not get into a debate about it, I don't think it's the right time or place. Just wanted to say that not getting justice early had a negative effect on the people involved.

I've enormous respect for the people of Liverpool for fighting this all the way, and finally getting the justice they deserved. I think it will provide a lot of hope and inspiration for people who've been wronged by society in some way and face an uphill struggle to get themselves heard.

Akshay

Staff
The cover up side of things I think has some merit, i.e its not exactly great for the public to view the police as grossly incompetent. That being said there is a balance, but again it's always a judgement call. The police I would expect regularly cover up mistakes along the way. The nature of what they do will put them on the boundaries of questioning all the time, e.g the Mark Duggan incident.

In most people's jobs errors don't put them in prison. So I do think rationale needs to be considered in context.

Surgeons make mistakes and might be sued, but you won't see many go to prison.

Life isn't an exact science. I'm sure many of those who made mistakes have been stuck living with them their whole lives.

If the police are grossly incompetent, then the public has a right to know and see them that way. That's the only way improvement will occur, not by covering it up and blaming the innocent. We can't know the full reach of consequences covering up Hillsborough had, to think of only the impact upon the police officers is a very narrow minded perspective.

ZAGREB RED

What is most incomprehensible about this whole sad episode is the length of time it has taken for any real conclusion to be in sight. 28 years is a ridiculous amount of time to ask the people who lost friends and family members in this tragedy to wait for any action against those who were responsible and/or instigated a cover-up.
The fact that has dragged on for such a length of time screams "cover up" in itself.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I was at Hillsborough, but not in the Leppings Lane End.

Thanks to all who have posted their sincere and well received comments, a shame someone has spoilt it a little and it's become a bit of a debate.
But to everyone else a big thank you from LFC and the families concerned.

JFT96
I really hope the victory and truth coming out can help you all start to come to terms with it, (not sure if come to terms with it is the right term, but I'm struggling for the right words) the whole football community regardless of club alligence is so proud of you all. Much love and respect chap.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I really hope the victory and truth coming out can help you all start to come to terms with it, (not sure if come to terms with it is the right term, but I'm struggling for the right words) the whole football community regardless of club alligence is so proud of you all. Much love and respect chap.
Thanks mate.