Historical moments of cheating | With a super-sized portion of salt

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I can only see one scumbag here...

Infuriating that there's enough of these xenophobic morons on this forum that they feel they comfortable enough to be overtly offensive. Imagine the outrage if anyone posted this about any other nationality. The irony is, the English are too generous, and would hold anyone to account for such a comment about any other nationality. Yet they are to apologetic to oppose casual bigotry against themselves, due to a self deprecating and non confrontational nature. Despite this, the anti English bigots continue to be louder and louder.

Hang your head in shame son. Footballs coming home, and it tastes so damn good.
Is that really your response to this bloke doing a 'destroyed with facts and logic' on you?

big rons sovereign

What? Congratulations on the final, but take a look on the perspective here. We lost a final due to bad ref + bad var. To be honest, i dont even recall a 2-0 incident? The Pierre Emil tackle? As a United fan, only similar memory I recall is the Son moment, where a "freekick" in open play is a debatable thing afterwards. Not even sure what relevance this has. We'd probably would have won anyways, and this match likely would've gone to penalties
Swings and roundabouts innit. You can't complain about bad decisions then dismiss out of hand others as they don't suit you're agenda. It was a nailed on free kick in Wales favour. Denmark then went on and scored, making it 2-0 and thus benefitting from bad refereeing plus leaving Wales with an impossible task.
Who's to say that Wales wouldn't have scored had the foul not occured making it 1-1?

There's also no guarantee that the game would've gone to penalties, I dare say England would've scored again anyway, even at 2-1 they continued to push for more.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

This one was way worse (and far more hilarious). Imagine get eliminated by something like this, at least he went down intentional tonight.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mean it was very clear and obvious, contact does not equal penalty and there wasn't contact when Sterling started going down, there was a body brush as he was going down. It was *clearly* not a pen.

England was likely going to win anyway, but it was an absolutely garbage decision made all the worse by it being in extra time of the semi final IMO.
Denmark were out on their feet & England were battering even. Even without that decision I think a goal was coming.

JustAGuest

Im danish but call me biased or just tired of UEFA:

1) UEFA let's a game go on two hours after a heart attack, with the reasoning "we gave them two (insanely terrible) choices (to choose from, while also taking the decision in the heat of the vulnerable moment it was"

2) A Baku official grabs a danish fans Pride flag with a quote what is reported in danish media as "Hey gay-boy, welcome to Baku" - the guy with the flag goes on to give 5-10 interviews afterwards, where no sources quote him as drunk. UEFA's first auto-response is to label him a drunk (stereotypical) danish guy. No media interviewing him has had that view but UEFA

3) 2 minutes spend on a VAR decision spend on Denmark's 4-0 goal against Russia. 30 seconds on a Sterling-dive? About 10 freekicks before the pen was given England's way. It wasn’t just the pen that was shady, the ref gave every slight touch a freekick in a tournament where much has been allowed, this is all of a sudden the line? Ref was maybe coloured by the atmosphere.

The worst part is however that VAR is not transparent. No officials have to explain themselves - at least NFL does this. VAR was supposed to be an opponent to matchfixing, but this is a system where we get 2 quick reviews on a pen from angles that means nothing - a closed box system where we only see 1 review of Benzema's alleged onside against Portugal in an incident that decides the faith of a nation. That's even a situation where you can draw a line, but we only get the ref-favoured half angles. It's such a closed circuit with no transparency, and I'm sure the british will lap this post up, but I really feel UEFA has been a shameful bunch of commercial cnuts this tournaments.
I think that's fair. You guys got really screwed over by UEFA over the Eriksen incident.

I also believe the entire format has been a bit of a joke. Having some teams bounce between Rome and Baku, or Sevilla and St. Petersburg. I really wonder how they thought that this would be a good idea. It all seems a bit corrupt to me.

11clarkie11

Much in this EURO was terrible. How stupid is that a one team had to fly to Rome and the other to Baku?
Comparing actual decisions in 90 minutes of a game to travel times of a team hahaha. Not trying to be condescending but what an idiot. Clutching at straws from an anti-anglo.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Denmark were out on their feet & England were battering even. Even without that decision I think a goal was coming.
Yeah thats the annoying part in a way. A goal felt like it was coming since about the 60th minute and no way would they have held on the whole extra time period. So to get a gift was just unnecessary

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

1) UEFA let's a game go on two hours after a heart attack, with the reasoning "we gave them two (insanely terrible) choices (to choose from, while also taking the decision in the heat of the vulnerable moment it was"

2) A Baku official grabs a danish fans Pride flag with a quote what is reported in danish media as "Hey gay-boy, welcome to Baku" - the guy with the flag goes on to give 5-10 interviews afterwards, where no sources quote him as drunk. UEFA's first auto-response is to label him a drunk (stereotypical) danish guy. No media interviewing him has had that view but UEFA

3) 2 minutes spend on a VAR decision spend on Denmark's 4-0 goal against Russia. 30 seconds on a Sterling-dive? About 10 freekicks before the pen was given England's way. It wasn’t just the pen that was shady, the ref gave every slight touch a freekick in a tournament where much has been allowed, this is all of a sudden the line? Ref was maybe coloured by the atmosphere.

The worst part is however that VAR is not transparent. No officials have to explain themselves - at least NFL does this. VAR was supposed to be an opponent to matchfixing, but this is a system where we get 2 quick reviews on a pen from angles that means nothing - a closed box system where we only see 1 review of Benzema's alleged onside against Portugal in an incident that decides the faith of a nation. That's even a situation where you can draw a line, but we only get the ref-favoured half angles. It's such a closed circuit with no transparency, and I'm sure the british will lap this post up, but I really feel UEFA has been a shameful bunch of commercial cnuts this tournament. No shame.
I can understand your frustration but you had several ref calls go in your favour in the 90 minutes. Including the free kick which you scored from & a clear penalty for England not given.

The penalty was very harsh I agree.

TheReligion

Abusive

The worst part is however that VAR is not transparent. No officials have to explain themselves - at least NFL does this. VAR was supposed to be an opponent to matchfixing, but this is a system where we get 2 quick reviews on a pen from angles that means nothing - a closed box system where we only see 1 review of Benzema's alleged onside against Portugal in an incident that decides the faith of a nation. That's even a situation where you can draw a line, but we only get the ref-favoured half angles. It's such a closed circuit with no transparency, and I'm sure the british will lap this post up, but I really feel UEFA has been a shameful bunch of commercial cnuts this tournament. No shame.
Yeah you guys shouldn't have even had the free kick you scored from. Not only that, the wall you made was illegal and it should have been pulled back.

Ref was awful

TheReligion

Abusive
No, they defended well, and if they deserved feck all then neither do you. Having more possession does not make you more deserved winners if you can't put the ball in the goal. You had some half decent chances, but not like you were carving them open time and again.

The only funny thing is seeing the deluded England mob trying to justify that they won by cheating and thinking the world is aginst you. It was not a soft pen, but a dive. The strawmanning is ridiculous. England are a dull and boring team who deserved feck all in that game as well.
Embarrassing take

Ole'sattheWheel

Balances out the clear pen on Kane that wasn't given previously imo. Plus the freekick Denmark scored from was about as soft as the sterling pen incident :wenger:.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He genuinely had a ribs broken from that kick from Evans. Don't know if you've ever broken a rib but it hurts like feck!

Drogba was a tart but this wasn't an example of it. You need to goto the Jens Lehman one for the best.
ya that was the one decision in the game that went the other way. a pretty blatant red.

Jezpeza

And the back pass in the first few minutes.
Or the persistent fouling and pulling back every time we went to break or one of our players got past his man. Ludicrous that they finished the match with one booking.

Ole'sattheWheel

Or the persistent fouling and pulling back every time we went to break or one of our players got past his man. Ludicrous that they finished the match with one booking.
Poulsen in particular.

Although to be unbiased I will say we were lucky v Germany in this regard. The last-man Rice challenge I think could have been given as a red and also the Phillips studs-up challenge later in the game were both "a yellow and a half" each, so to end with 11 men there was lucky.

Jezpeza

Poulsen in particular.

Although to be unbiased I will say we were lucky v Germany in this regard. The last-man Rice challenge I think could have been given as a red and also the Phillips studs-up challenge later in the game were both "a yellow and a half" each, so to end with 11 men there was lucky.
I did hold my breath after that phillips challenge. Rice had cover i thought. But tonight from minute one the Danes were at it. Vestergaard played the man not the ball at least 4 times and never even got a booking. Delaney had a horrible hack through the back of someone of the far side as well i forget who I couldnt see how it wasnt a yellow card.

Asger

Comparing actual decisions in 90 minutes of a game to travel times of a team hahaha. Not trying to be condescending but what an idiot. Clutching at straws from an anti-anglo.
Having EURO in so many countries was just stupid. It should have been just in England or UK.

ROFLUTION

Swings and roundabouts innit. You can't complain about bad decisions then dismiss out of hand others as they don't suit you're agenda. It was a nailed on free kick in Wales favour. Denmark then went on and scored, making it 2-0 and thus benefitting from bad refereeing plus leaving Wales with an impossible task.
Who's to say that Wales wouldn't have scored had the foul not occured making it 1-1?

There's also no guarantee that the game would've gone to penalties, I dare say England would've scored again anyway, even at 2-1 they continued to push for more.
Thank god for clearing it all up on my biased mind. I thought an important decision while going 1-1 in a tired extra-time was way more decisive than a 1-0 lead against fecking Wales, but you've proven me all wrong.

Oh no, we might even would've had to play from 1-1 against Wales if we take your scenario? That at least makes for more outcomes than doomed at 2-1 with 10 men, and taking in that we won 4-0, maybe it'd still be okay and not feck us over against a Wales team we outclassed (check the stats)?
I can understand your frustration but you had several ref calls go in your favour in the 90 minutes. Including the free kick which you scored from & a clear penalty for England not given.

The penalty was very harsh I agree.
Several is probably correct on text, but with context

But if this "what about that other stuff that happened" reasoning is what we're going for, then we can drag it all back to qualifiers, heck we could even just call off Sterling's goal for being two balls at the pitch at the same time, because another similar two balls incident happened in extratime where play was stopped. These argument just suit ones own agenda and is like quoting the fittings passage of the bible suiting ones needs.

If you take an honest neutral view on the impact of tonight's decision it's so much bigger than a lead against Wales at 1-0. To step back and try to be neutral, even if you went by the bookies live odds/wisdom of the crowd, the Sterling incident is more unfair.

I get your point that some is given, some is not, but we're dealing with complete carelessness in the var room here and the transparency is really questionable. How can such big events not even be commented by officials? Players have to explain all sorts of shit after a match for medias - radiosilence from VAR and officals in a system that is supposed to correct wrongs - can't even spend 30 secs on what most non english users here sees as a great dive.

Having EURO in so many countries was just stupid. It should have been just in England or UK.
can’t argue with that in retrospect.

unfortunately it was Platini’s vanity project.

hopefully we never see a tournament hosted in this way again.

Ole'sattheWheel

I did hold my breath after that phillips challenge. Rice had cover i thought. But tonight from minute one the Danes were at it. Vestergaard played the man not the ball at least 4 times and never even got a booking. Delaney had a horrible hack through the back of someone of the far side as well i forget who I couldnt see how it wasnt a yellow card.
Yeah we have rode our luck at times this tournament.

Germany: could have had either Rice or Phillips off, Muller missed chance
Ukraine: their best CB gets injured early on and we thrash them
Tonight: Soft pen, shite ref overall
Tournament in general: great scheduling for us with minimal travel and a few jammy goals

But after supporting England for so long now I think we were due a tournament like this after so many heartbreaking exits: Maradona's handball, Gazza's miss, Lampard's ghost goal, Rooney sending off and Ronaldo wink etc etc.

11clarkie11

Has never been an issue when travelling from one side of Russia to the other (2018), nor travelling from the North to South of Brazil (2014). You can pick your arguments all day long but I suppose it is what it is.

Ole'sattheWheel

Im genuine curious about the Kane pen you all are talking about? Gif please?
I'm not sure if I can post links but it's 1:58 in the BBC highlights of the game.

Not a clearcut pen but anywhere else on the pitch and that is a foul imo. No idea why it's a Denmark FK

Asger

Yeah we have rode our luck at times this tournament.

Germany: could have had either Rice or Phillips off, Muller missed chance
Ukraine: their best CB gets injured early on and we thrash them
Tonight: Soft pen, shite ref overall
Tournament in general: great scheduling for us with minimal travel and a few jammy goals

But after supporting England for so long now I think we were due a tournament like this after so many heartbreaking exits: Maradona's handball, Gazza's miss, Lampard's ghost goal, Rooney sending off and Ronaldo wink etc etc.
I'm proud of you to admit all of this! Wish more fans were like you.

ROFLUTION

I'm not sure if I can post links but it's 1:58 in the BBC highlights of the game.

Not a clearcut pen but anywhere else on the pitch and that is a foul imo. No idea why it's a Denmark FK
Ah that one. To be honest, every dane where I was at saw it as a danish fk - Even after replays. I think it depends on who you're rooting for.

Siezard

Denmark also lost their CB.

It's a fair deal though. Lots of football are mostly decided by penalties anyway. You are stupid not to attack the penalty box.

big rons sovereign

Thank god for clearing it all up on my biased mind. I thought an important decision while going 1-1 in a tired extra-time was way more decisive than a 1-0 lead against fecking Wales, but you've proven me all wrong.

Oh no, we might even would've had to play from 1-1 against Wales if we take your scenario? That at least makes for more outcomes than doomed at 2-1 with 10 men, and taking in that we won 4-0, maybe it'd still be okay and not feck us over against a Wales team we outclassed (check the stats)?

Several is probably correct on text, but with context

But if this "what about that other stuff that happened" reasoning is what we're going for, then we can drag it all back to qualifiers, heck we could even just call off Sterling's goal for being two balls at the pitch at the same time, because another similar two balls incident happened in extratime where play was stopped. These argument just suit ones own agenda and is like quoting the fittings passage of the bible suiting ones needs.

If you take an honest neutral view on the impact of tonight's decision it's so much bigger than a lead against Wales at 1-0. To step back and try to be neutral, even if you went by the bookies live odds/wisdom of the crowd, the Sterling incident is more unfair.

I get your point that some is given, some is not, but we're dealing with complete carelessness in the var room here and the transparency is really questionable. How can such big events not even be commented by officials? Players have to explain all sorts of shit after a match for medias - radiosilence from VAR and officals in a system that is supposed to correct wrongs - can't even spend 30 secs on what most non english users here sees as a great dive.
You realise you've replied to me twice there? Once raging with arrogance and once not so much......
But at the end of the day, it's nothing to do with the CAR incompetence or cheating. Sterling was fouled, it's a penatly and that's the bottom line.

11clarkie11

can’t argue with that in retrospect.

unfortunately it was Platini’s vanity project.

hopefully we never see a tournament hosted in this way again.
Although I’m happy with Englands fortunes with so many home games, I really prefer one country putting on a spectacle and everyone getting involved. Hope Qatar put on a great World Cup next winter.

In theory it's a great idea but in reality it's just feckin dumb. Especially with the whole lurgy thing.
Covid has exacerbated the problems. Clearly. But even on a Covid free world, it’s bloody dumb and bloody expensive for fans of certain countries to be trekking across Europe last minute. Bonkers.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
England was better but it was a dive and if it was done by a player from Continental Europe or South America would be classed as a dive, if it was with Neymar this place would be full of threads.

But there’s nothing wrong with that, just stop with the nonsense players from England don’t dive or cheat, they are equal to the rest of the world.

But I repeat England deserved to win, I just hate this Dutch referee, this guy robbed Portugal not giving a clear goal at Serbia, but that’s probably based on the stupid rule of not having VAR for qualifiers.

All in all it would be nice to cut the controversy from the final and in those cases force the refs to check VAR, don’t think it was a intentional error. Let the best team win, and hopefully UEFA cuts this nonsense of multiple teams organising the tournament, 1 or 2 is more than enough (not saying England is winning by that though).