Historical moments of cheating | With a super-sized portion of salt

Classical Mechanic

:lol: Hurt me deep? I literally couldn’t give a shit. I’d be happy for Maguire, Shaw and Rashford (and Sancho!) to get a medal. I wanted Denmark to win because of the Eriksen narrative rather than any dislike of England. I’m genuinely 50:50 on the final. And only because Italy have been playing such good football.

I’m a long fecking way from the average anti-England Ireland fan. I just think it was a terrible decision, which vindicated a blatant dive. But mainly I’m pissed off that a technology which I hate (and has had an obvious negative impact on football as a spectacle) is such a big topic of discussion all over again. For the wrong reasons.
Fair enough.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In such a high stakes match, he absolutely should have gone to look to be sure. The VAR obviously had no doubt. Unbelievable.
This is where clear and obvious falls down.

For penalties and red cards, there should be a middle ground where VAR can say "we think you should have a look at a couple of angles" but they're still obsessed with not re-refereeing games.

It'd only be for pens and red cards. That's got to be better than a finalist in an international tournament being decided on a decision like that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Shame the game was decided with that dive.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
:lol: Hurt me deep? I literally couldn’t give a shit. I’d be happy for Maguire, Shaw and Rashford (and Sancho!) to get a medal. I wanted Denmark to win because of the Eriksen narrative rather than any dislike of England. I’m genuinely 50:50 on the final. And only because Italy have been playing such good football.

I’m a long fecking way from the average anti-England Ireland fan. I just think it was a terrible decision, which vindicated a blatant dive. But mainly I’m pissed off that a technology which I hate (and has had an obvious negative impact on football as a spectacle) is such a big topic of discussion all over again. For the wrong reasons.
The way VAR has been used in the tournament for penalties has been a joke.

For them to overturn a penalty that has been given, the diving player would need to have a metre of clear space around him in every direction. For them to give a penalty that the ref hasn't blown for, you'd have to hack somebody down with a fire axe.

It's been about as much fecking use as Peter "my mate on the field was right" Walton.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Its right up there.

Suarez
Maradona
Sterling

The way Danes rallied after the trauma of eriksen epitomised the very best of football. All undone by the very worst
Whatever Mr Salty.. Clear and obvious foul when you bodycheck someone and the pair of you trip him up to prevent a goal. Denial of obvious goal scoring opportunity and well deserved penalty taken excellently. Danes got away with so many dirty fouls and really should have conceded a penalty earlier in the game.

They had no appetite to play a game, just a strong desire to park the bus with 10 men stopping shots going reaching the gk. Kasper was excellent today and I really really did not want to face him in penalties tbh.

But yeah, what game did you watch Mr Salty?. Really should be your tagline now because of your salty whiney tears.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
As I said in the other thread it was a dive, but his calf was caught. So I can understand why it wouldn't be overturned.

Pughnichi

Up there with the Henry, Maradona, Suárez deliberate handballs. I've never seen cheating in a match before, a travesty, Denmark deserved this.
rivaldo worth a mention aswell.

Ouch my knee..err I mean face!

Goalfather

I agree. That’s not a dive. He was blatantly encouraged to go in downwards motion due to that step in front of his back leg which totally disrupted his effort to keep running.

I agree that it probably shouldn’t be a penalty but once a whistle is blown on dubious looking scenarios like these, it’s very hard to reverse it.

Both defenders did wrongly influence his ability to get a ball in, even if they didn’t step on him or anything more obvious.
It is a clear penalty to me. How is it not a penalty?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The way VAR has been used in the tournament for penalties has been a joke.

For them to overturn a penalty that has been given, the diving player would need to have a metre of clear space around him in every direction. For them to give a penalty that the ref hasn't blown for, you'd have to hack somebody down with a fire axe.

It's been about as much fecking use as Peter "my mate on the field was right" Walton.
Yup. As I said in another post the use of VAR in this tournament has generally spared us the fecking dreadful interruptions to play we’ve seen all season. But this is evidently at the expense of its primary function. Thus beautifully illustrating how it can never be fit for purpose.

diarm

Why don’t you get off a fan forum of an English scumbag football team. Bitter little human. It’s coming home.
:lol:

Like a redneck 'Murican telling native Indians if they don't like it go home.

It is a clear penalty to me. How is it not a penalty?
Because people think it wasn’t a hard enough tackle, no-one seems to be concentrating of the fact that the moron had absolutely no right to even attempt a tackle there and was miles off the ball.
It’s a foul anywhere else, just as a slight bump in the back is somehow always a foul to a forward or defender shielding a ball.
This was actually a stupid defensive mistake.

Cman

Really hope this is the beginning of the end for VAR. destroys the game. In that fans can’t celebrate the minute the ball hits back of the net as have to wait and see if it stands. Slow the game down terribly and takes the romance out of it. And now when it really matters in a massive moment in the dying stages of a major semi final it get the big decision wrong.
Totally pointless and has no place in the game.
I think England would have scored anyways as they had all the momentum and were building pressure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I honestly think England would have won on pens anyway. Denmark looked physically and mentally knackered, and their best players weren't on the pitch.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Whatever Mr Salty.. Clear and obvious foul when you bodycheck someone and the pair of you trip him up to prevent a goal. Denial of obvious goal scoring opportunity and well deserved penalty taken excellently. Danes got away with so many dirty fouls and really should have conceded a penalty earlier in the game.

They had no appetite to play a game, just a strong desire to park the bus with 10 men stopping shots going reaching the gk. Kasper was excellent today and I really really did not want to face him in penalties tbh.

But yeah, what game did you watch Mr Salty?. Really should be your tagline now because of your salty whiney tears.

SER19

Is OP a WUM?
No but if i was seeing a tribe of wound up English fans biting on such a 'historic' night would make me a successful one.

'once in a lifetime im so overwhelmed with joy I can't wait to tell my grandkids... About how i went online arguing about raheem sterling cheating'

Sterling is a cheat, this isn't news. He's just done it at this level now

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because people think it wasn’t a hard enough tackle, no-one seems to be concentrating of the fact that the moron had absolutely no right to even attempt a tackle there and was miles off the ball.
It’s a foul anywhere else, just as a slight bump in the back is somehow always a foul to a forward or defender shielding a ball. This was actually a stupid defensive mistake.
The defender pulled out of the challenge though. Sterling anticipated a foul and got airborne. The very slight contact had nothing to do with him falling over. He was on his way down when he brushed his leg against the defenders leg.

I’m leaning towards it maybe not being blatant cheating but it definitely wasn’t a penalty. Reminds me of Ollie Watkin’s red card against us. He dived over what he thought would be a clattering but the defender (goalkeeper in that instance) pulled out at the last moment and made him look silly. A booking was very harsh but a penalty would have been an awful decision.

The “cheating” her is VAR not doing its job. Hence Denmark can feel cheated. By VAR, rather than Sterling.

redMundo

Like a redneck 'Murican telling native Indians if they don't like it go home.
Rather that than be someone who visits someone’s homeland to enjoy the beauty it provides then calls all of the natives scumbags based on the actions of one individual. Don’t be bitter that your team have not achieved what mine have, look to us for lessons and be in awe of out triple lioned greatness.
i looooove all the bitterness and undeserved hatred, it fuels my soul xxxxx

DickDastardly

It’s a foul anywhere else, just as a slight bump in the back is somehow always a foul to a forward or defender shielding a ball.
This was actually a stupid defensive mistake.
Wait what?

They will teach FIFA and UEFA refs on how NOT to feck up on a big stage with this example of bad refereeing for the next 60 years.

Ralaks

It is shocking they even pretend to use VAR at this tournament. Can remember like 1-2 decisions where they had the balls to challenge referees. It is kind of like the extreme reverse to the PL where they challenge everything.

Surely somewhere in between would be the correct. Cant remember anything outside the Dutch red against Czech where they actually used the monitors

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Ultimately it's up to the officials to stamp out diving and they (including VAR) haven't done a good job at this tournament. Players are always going to take the piss, it's a given.

It is shocking they even pretend to use VAR at this tournament. Can remember like 1-2 decisions where they had the balls to challenge referees. It is kind of like the extreme reverse to the PL where they challenge everything.

Surely somewhere in between would be the correct. Cant remember anything outside the Dutch red against Czech where they actually used the monitors
The ideal scenario is it being used only in goal-defining situations or red cards. In theory its use would be minimal but crucial. Sadly that's not been the case (well, not sadly for England).

padr81

Supports
Man City
Cheating is cheating. Tarnished the tournament which has been so good
Didn't Italy literally shithouse the entire last 15 minutes of their quarter final, what about Immobile during the goal... Nonsense that it tarnished the tournament, you'd swear it was the only dive in the competition..

SER19

Didn't Italy literally shithouse the entire last 15 minutes of their quarter final, what about Immobile during the goal... Nonsense that it tarnished the tournament, you'd swear it was the only dive in the competition..
Its a decisive extra time penalty that has sent Denmark home. Tarnished

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I honestly think England would have won on pens anyway. Denmark looked physically and mentally knackered, and their best players weren't on the pitch.
England would've won in ET anyway in my opinion. And rightfully so. But it was an insane call by the ref and rightfully told so by posters here and if Sterling would've won it this way for City the opinions would be very different from now on the caf.

But I don't mind my two favorite countries when we are not in it anymore are in the final.

The defender pulled out of the challenge though.
But still connected knee to knee, more importantly absolutely nowhere near the ball when he knocked his knee.
People can argue all they like about soft, but it was a moronic piece of defending and I’d personally be more pissed at my player (Rafael v Leicester was it?) then complaining that it was a massive injustice.

Shite idiotic defending it was, and got punished.

I’ve seen absolutely tonnes of pens given for such, we all have.

JustAGuest

Really hope this is the beginning of the end for VAR. destroys the game. In that fans can’t celebrate the minute the ball hits back of the net as have to wait and see if it stands. Slow the game down terribly and takes the romance out of it. And now when it really matters in a massive moment in the dying stages of a major semi final it get the big decision wrong.
Totally pointless and has no place in the game.
I think England would have scored anyways as they had all the momentum and were building pressure.
I had hoped VAR would eliminate diving, but clearly it's not working. Add to that some of the waiting times and ridiculous offside calls we have seen in the Premier League I can see why people would want it gone.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’ve not seen a single person highlight how the energy from an attempted block could have impacted sterling’s body position and caused a tumble.