Gaming Hogwarts Legacy (PS5/PC/Switch/Xbox)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've only read IGN which gave it a 9. I will say their review doesn't read like a 9 at all - multiple issues on PS5 - but I'm still kinda hyped.
Yeah, this is why reviews aren't reliable. I seem to recall Cyberpunk got very positive reviews from Journalists too and we all know what a mess that was on release and for the next few months. Journalist reviews became redundant a decade a go.

If gamer reaction is positive then you get excited and I don't mean the Harry Potter nerds that will give it a 10/10 no matter what but actual gamers.

Shark

@NotShark
Oh crap, sorry!

As an aside, I've only read IGN which gave it a 9. I will say their review doesn't read like a 9 at all - multiple issues on PS5 - but I'm still kinda hyped.
As in performance issues?

hobbers

Gaming journalist reviews are only worth whatever the developers pay for them.

But hopefully it's as well received tomorrow when people start getting their hands on it.

Drawfull

Yeah, this is why reviews aren't reliable. I seem to recall Cyberpunk got very positive reviews from Journalists too and we all know what a mess that was on release and for the next few months. Journalist reviews became redundant a decade a go.

If gamer reaction is positive then you get excited and I don't mean the Harry Potter nerds that will give it a 10/10 no matter what but actual gamers.
To be fair they were only given PC code for Cyberpunk (in and of itself is a bit shit, and maybe the journos should have mentioned it) if I remember correctly and were not allowed to use their own footage in their reviews at the behest of CDPR. Which is a long-windowed way of me saying, yes, I agree.

Shark

@NotShark
Yes, and multiple bugs - nothing game breaking to use their words - but missing characters in quests, frame rate issues, pop in issues. The usual. And no Quidditch - 'because it's been cancelled for a year due to some halfblood getting injured the previous term' :lol: :lol:
Ah shite, any word on how other platforms compare such as SX/PC? I expected no Quidditch tbh, I think they'd almost need an entire team dedicated to making that work from a technical standpoint. Not as easy as some folk think it'd be to include even as DLC.

Norris

Those who get the deluxe edition can start playing it tomorrow. Guess we will know where the game base will stand soon enough.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
And no Quidditch - 'because it's been cancelled for a year due to some halfblood getting injured the previous term' :lol: :lol:
Fecking half-bloods ruining the fun for the rest of us.

It's hilarious that they cancelled quidditch over an injury considering the nature of that sport :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
ACG loved it. Must admit I though this would be fairly bland and crap.

Still think I'll wait a few months for them to release a few patches, though.

Drawfull

Ah shite, any word on how other platforms compare such as SX/PC? I expected no Quidditch tbh, I think they'd almost need an entire team dedicated to making that work from a technical standpoint. Not as easy as some folk think it'd be to include even as DLC.
I haven't read any more as I don't want spoilers. I was tempted to double-dip for Series S as apparently you can change the region on the console and be playing it 'now'? But I'm going to wait til tomorrow.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Gaming journalist reviews are only worth whatever the developers pay for them.

But hopefully it's as well received tomorrow when people start getting their hands on it.
I wrote for IGN for 4 years and never once got any payment in exchange for a higher score. I wish someone had told me this is how it worked, would've been rich.

Commenters were extremely sure Sony was paying me after I said the Ps3 would be better than the Xbox 360, but I never saw a fecking dime :(

Suv666

Poor me still gaming on a PS4. Will be waiting a fecking month

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Oh crap, sorry!

As an aside, I've only read IGN which gave it a 9. I will say their review doesn't read like a 9 at all - multiple issues on PS5 - but I'm still kinda hyped.
Yeah. Basically the review says shit story, you'll fall out of the map sometimes, characters disappear, no enemy variation... But still a 9? Questionable. But i am looking forward to it and at least it's 9 and not a 6!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Having seen a snippet of gameplay and trailers recently I expected this to be good - It just looked well made. Potter fans will be going nuts I’m sure.

bosnian_red

I've just watched half of the ACG review. It looks really, really good even with the bugs (he mentions similar).
Yup just watched it. Looks great TBF and the issues seem like they should be fixed as they're more performance related. Very nice.

He also mentions that after spending 50+ hours on it he didn't get any open world fatigue which is great. That's what killed the recent open world games for me.

SuperiorXI

I wrote for IGN for 4 years and never once got any payment in exchange for a higher score. I wish someone had told me this is how it worked, would've been rich.

Commenters were extremely sure Sony was paying me after I said the Ps3 would be better than the Xbox 360, but I never saw a fecking dime :(
That's what they all say

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

You were 100% doing it wrong then!

Not even any studio tours and liquid lunches?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
To be fair they were only given PC code for Cyberpunk (in and of itself is a bit shit, and maybe the journos should have mentioned it) if I remember correctly and were not allowed to use their own footage in their reviews at the behest of CDPR. Which is a long-windowed way of me saying, yes, I agree.
To be fair also, the PC version was a mess too. Still is in many ways.

Siorac

Journalists did say that they were only given PC codes, they didn't keep it a secret or anything. It was all CDPR's shit, trying to keep a cover on how utterly terrible the game was on old-gen consoles.

Drawfull

This sounds a lot like FFXII in my head having read a bit more. Don't ask me why! Will not discuss

But the fact it sounds completely open from the start, "At least to start with, many of them are much higher level than you, making them almost impossible to defeat until much later", I love this kinda thing. Bring it.

Siorac

Skill up lost all credibility when he didn't like tlou2.
Is this how it works now? If someone doesn't like the things you like, they aren't credible?

Bear in mind I have no idea who Skill Up is (never seen a video from him) and I didn't play TLOU2 because I didn't like the first game.

Drawfull

Journalists did say that they were only given PC codes, they didn't keep it a secret or anything. It was all CDPR's shit, trying to keep a cover on how utterly terrible the game was on old-gen consoles.
Ah, not the reviews I read at the time but fair enough if they were open with that. OT, but as someone who only just completed TLOU2 last week (despite buying the special edition PS4 Pro version, which is gorgeous by the way), the fact that half the game was walled off from reviews and not mentioned reminded me.

pacifictheme

Is this how it works now? If someone doesn't like the things you like, they aren't credible?

Bear in mind I have no idea who Skill Up is (never seen a video from him) and I didn't play TLOU2 because I didn't like the first game.
He just had incredibly bad opinions about a pretty much universally liked and well received game, that was generally only disliked by a specific section of gamers.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Get him boys.

Ainu

He just had incredibly bad opinions about a pretty much universally liked and well received game, that was generally only disliked by a specific section of gamers.
What does "bad opinions" even mean? His personal opinion or judgement is not really important to his value as a reviewer. What is important, is the fact that his reviews usually give you more than enough information to help you decide whether or not a game is for you.

pacifictheme

What does "bad opinions" even mean? His personal opinion or judgement is not really important to his value as a reviewer. What is important, is the fact that his reviews usually give you more than enough information to help you decide whether or not a game is for you.
Well the game got a 93 on metacritic, and is one of the best reviewing games ever (maybe slightly overeged but 93 is a very impressive score). The user score is 5.8 thanks to review bombing from incels. For him to not recommend it is extremely strange.

Anyway this isn't the skill up thread so might as well leave it here.

bosnian_red

TBF i loved the first but couldn't get into the 2nd for some reason