Television Homeland | Season 5 spoilers

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
All fully caught up now, this show is seriously good. Brody's daughter I find to be annoying but she's neccessary I suppose.

The interrogation bit was exceptionally well done. Not quite sure what to make of Quinn yet.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
She is a very good actress, but it her parts are easily the worst thing about the show.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It seems like a distraction. Almost as if they were worried that the main storyline wasn't enough to sustain the series on its own. And they might be right. You can't have everything at the intensity of the interrogation without something to create the highs and lows of plot pacing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Anybody liking the Quinn character?
I think he's been a good addition so far.

jem

Only shitty part of last episode was the scenes involving Brodys daughter. The whole interrogation was fecking brilliant.

This show has gone from strength to strength, I'm certain they'll be a few more twists and turns (they've already renewed it for s03) and I can imagine they'll get a 4th and 5th.
That's my only worry. Very few shows sustain the quality past 3 or 4 seasons (The Wire should've stopped after 4, The Sopranos after 5, Dexter after 4, Sons of Anarchy after 2, etc.) In fact, The Shield and Breaking Bad, are the only two I can think of that sustained their level until the end (or until now, in BB's case.) Homeland is top-notch, but given it's narrow range (it basically boils down to Carrie vs. Brody,) you have to wonder how far they can go with it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You would hope that it won't got past 3 or 4 seasons. Or possibly just this one.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I just hope they finish the Brody story this season, if it goes beyond that it's too much. It's Showtime so they'll probably continue the show with a new plot next season anyway.
yeah, so do I, else it will linger too long like Lost did. If Brody is ended and his plotline is a part of a plausible bigger conspiracy, will be abit like an extended 24.

The worst thing that can happen is for Brody to become a fully paid up member of the CIA. Such a shift in his ideology would be totally implausible.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Meh in one fell swoop they may have just killed the show.

Zen86

Not necessarily, they couldn't play cat and mouse for another series at the end of the day. I like the unpredictability of the show and trust the writers to carry on the high standards without the old cliches.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The show just got a bit 24 hour for me.Found it really weird what happened with those commando guys :wenger:
Yeah, and I love it! Loving the enormity and high intensity of each episode. Its good that Homeland take inspiration form the several first class politico thriller series that have preceded it.

Have no idea how that thing happened but the reporter chick already knew so she could have easily initiated the 'commando' attack. Too easy to think Brody and she agreed to it in the 'silence' during their chat

Im beginning to think that both Brady, Nazeer and Carrie are small pawns in a much bigger conspiracy plot. Im thing Saul and his boss at the CIA are playing a much bigger game. The pace things are happening right now means that will reveal itself relatively soon.

Unlike others above, I also like the sub plot developing between Brody's daughter and the son of the VP.

And of course now we have the third plot which is the chap who was shagging Brody's wife doing his own investigation and Brody's wife telling him that Brody works for the CIA.

At some point (probably in the series finale) all three plots will intertwine with to devastating effect.

Homeland is off to a cracking start, season 2 is gripping, they have a great set of script writer for this series, and the latitude of having a '24' / 'west wing' lierate audience who know how the series play out.

If they play the plots out without too much implausibility, Homeland could be the replacement that feeds the huge hangover I have from the end of Jack Bauer!

Even better, Spartacus is back soon too!

US drama got its mojo back :drool:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not necessarily, they couldn't play cat and mouse for another series at the end of the day. I like the unpredictability of the show and trust the writers to carry on the high standards without the old cliches.
me too. Some of the writing, acted out brilliantly by the actors concerned has been as good as this genre gets.

Brody totally made that shit happen.
I don't think he did, he's a pawn is a much bigger play going on right now.

By season 4, we will have forgotten all about him!

LARulz

Do the writers have an end in sight? As in are they planning on ending the show after 4 seasons or something? The show is going incredibly fast and some of the stuff thats happened already would be season ending cliff hangers for a lot of other shows.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I was a bit disappointed by the strange raid on the tailor's shop at the end. Seemed a bit ridiculous to me

Bear Attack

They are definitely going down the right path by suggesting that Brody is merely a small part of a larger conspiracy.

I predicted that this show was going to run out of gas by the second episode of the first season. I largely trust these writers now. However, I really wish HBO or AMC took them as opposed to Showtime.

Cina

Another great episode. The quality of the writing and characters in this is just so much better than the likes Dexter and The Walking Dead. You really feel for the characters and like them. I mean I even like Quinn, who has been in it for three episodes, and was gutted when he was "killed".

Though I'm pretty sure he's not dead, of course.
Also, fans of The Wire, was that Carver in the tailor shop with him or just a lookalike?

Every time I think I'm starting to get an idea of where they're going with the season, they continue to throw in more curve-balls that blow my theories out of the water, still it does very much look like

this thing is way beyond Brody and the reporter, and I get the feeling his arc will be (mostly) concluded at the end of this season, which will probably culminate in a big explosion or assassination, and next season will revolve around actually getting Nazir, or the higher ups.
I thought that because the end scene panned round to Brody's face it was basically saying he knew about it and made it happen?
You never know with this show, but that seems implausible as the CIA had 24h surveillance on him, maybe he uttered some code words or something with the reporter, or a hand gesture during their meet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He reminded me of Carver as well but I don't think it was him.

Cina

Yeah it wasn't, just checked IMDb. He's in Teen Wolf now :lol:

jem

Same thing for me.When I mentioned that it got too 24h, this is was exactly what I meant.
I think it has the same showrunners as 24, no? 24 sprang to mind for me, when they pulled that device out of the wall after the raid - my first thought was: nuclear bomb!

Anyway, if played right (and given that it doesn't need to fill out a 24 episode season with a somewhat ridiculous timing scheme, there is a good chance it will be,) the 24-flavour might not be a bad thing.

Cracking show.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Claire Danes, awesome yet again.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Whatever way she chooses to spell it, I dont really care.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I thought they were trying to show the reporter instantly knew something was up, and told Brody there might be something there because she knew the CIA were listening in or that he would tell them after. Once he did and they went in for re-inforcements, at that point I figured the reporter and her people had got wind of this and sent the team in. In my mind until the insane shoot-out, she was doing all that to see if Brody had been turned, given the increased presence would indicate Brody had let on what she told him earlier. The fact there was actually something in the shop and they wen't through 7 CIA to get it, kind of goes against this theory though, unless she didn't care either way and wanted to know what side Brody was on.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
A weak episode for me. They are still moving the plot very fast so no complains on that front but I agree with someone who said this was a bit too 24 like. Still the season has been good till now, I just hope next 2-3 episodes won't be fillers.

JohnLocke

It was a bit OTT, but I suppose it really depends what's in the box.

I thought it was a good episode in a great season so far.

Leg-End

The latest episode.

I was like "Hey, its Carver!"

10 minutes later he takes a round of bullets to the chest.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Ha, I thought that was Carver too. Paused it so many times trying to get a decent enough shot of his face but there wasn't a single scene whereby it was clear. I'm guessing he's got too high a profile now to be in something for 20 seconds before being killed.

This program is quality. I don't know what direction it's going in with Brody's daughter, but everything else is pretty gripping. There haven't really been any pointless storyline arcs so far so I'm guessing that's going to become more relevant soon. On a side note, I had to laugh at how fecked up Jessica's reaction was to finding out Brody was a Muslim in that first episode of the season.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Brody definitely signalled the reporter.

That moment of silence between him and your one they probably had a full scale conversation via eye twitch