g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Honestly, we are not that far away...

Ludens the Red

Ole for a bad coach sure does seem to get the better of a lot of big coaches....

I don't think we are far off. Of course we have room to improve and there are positions in which we can upgrade but surely no one can deny progress is being made?
I always think this isn’t the best measure to use. For years coaches like Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce would regularly pick up wins over Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger and Benítez and would qualify for Europe with tin pot clubs like Blackburn and Bolton and nobody batted an eyelid. Not sure why Ole should get credit as manager of Manchester United if he does the same only to be in 7th place and getting turned over by the Likes of Bournemouth and Watford.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If you going by comparing their careers this season, you could be right. But if you take their entire career in managent into comparison there isn't single person apart from romantic man utd fans that would say that Ole is a better coach than Poch.
For anybody suggesting that Ole and Poch are on the same level, I'd advise that they be sectioned, for their own safety. :D

I actually don't rate Poch too highly, mainly because he has never won a trophy, but Ole is the worst manager in the EPL (which Poch is not). Even when you focus on sentiment: many club supporters would swap their manager for Poch, but no supporter would be dumb enough to swap their manager for Ole.

If you going by comparing their careers this season, you could be right. But if you take their entire career in managent into comparison there isn't single person apart from romantic man utd fans that would say that Ole is a better coach than Poch.
That's about the only coach in the EPL who Ole is better than. :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
For anybody suggesting that Ole and Poch are on the same level, I'd advise that they be sectioned, for their own safety. :D

I actually don't rate Poch too highly, mainly because he has never won a trophy, but Ole is the worst manager in the EPL (which Poch is not). Even when you focus on sentiment: many club supporters would swap their manager for Poch, but no supporter would be dumb enough to swap their manager for Ole.
Take your own advice my man.

Jacko21

For years coaches like Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce would regularly pick up wins over Fergie
Not in SAF’s case.

Played a team managed by Allardyce 20 times. Only lost twice.

Played a team managed by Hughes 15 times. Only lost twice.

:)

Ludens the Red

Not in SAF’s case.

Played a team managed by Allardyce 20 times. Only lost twice.

Played a team managed by Hughes 15 times. Only lost twice.

:)
Now you’ve been a bit naughty there. Cutting my quote, what about the other managers I mentioned?? Anyway another one is McLaren, he must have beaten Fergie about four times and even turned over Mourinho 3-0.

Jacko21

Now you’ve been a bit naughty there. Cutting my quote, what about the other managers I mentioned?? Anyway another one is McLaren, he must have beaten Fergie about four times and even turned over Mourinho 3-0.
That’s why I said ‘in SAF’s case’ - I wasn’t trying to dispute your point entirely. :)

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I normally won’t be goaded, but I’m genuinely curious. If 15+ clubs would do anything for Poch, how is it he’s not signed? Any side can pay Levy and put him on the pitch at any time. No side is even rumored to be considering him as far as I know. Which is not to say he isn’t a great manager, but the comment I responded to was hyperbolic.

Declaring no one would hire Ole is both an unknown and, based on history, pure nonsense. Moyes found work after doing worse with us. I can’t recall a single manager from a top club, irrespective of results, who never found work again.
Because normally managers from top clubs have a good CV dating back years so clubs can actually see what they've achieved. Looking at Oles CV in this moment in time wouldn't put him the shop window. Ole seems to be the sort of manager who if you throw a bucket load of money at him he might, just might get a tune out of a team but there will come a point where his complete inexperience at managing at the top level will be exposed especially at lower clubs who don't have the financial clout that we do. I really can't see any club in the top flight that would be willing to take that risk.

On Poch. Do you really think he's sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring? His future has been sorted months ago and for me personally if his future is at United then I can only say that thank feck Woodward is finally starting to get his act together.

AshRK

I do understand Ole is not the most popular person as a manager here and to be fair even I don't think he should stay beyond the summer (unless he dramatically takes us to top 4 or win Europa) but how do people come to this conclusion. How do we know he is the worst manager or say other managers bar Klopp, Pep could do any better managing us. Surely if he was that bad like some say we would have been in bottom 10 and he would have been sacked. Ole surely has to learn a lot and is definitely not a better manager than Poch but to say eh is the worst manager managing in PL is just absurd assumption.

matt10000

I always think this isn’t the best measure to use. For years coaches like Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce would regularly pick up wins over Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger and Benítez and would qualify for Europe with tin pot clubs like Blackburn and Bolton and nobody batted an eyelid. Not sure why Ole should get credit as manager of Manchester United if he does the same only to be in 7th place and getting turned over by the Likes of Bournemouth and Watford.
Well Big Sam he did get the England job!.....but he got pi**ed and messed it up

Amerifan

Because normally managers from top clubs have a good CV dating back years so clubs can actually see what they've achieved. Looking at Oles CV in this moment in time wouldn't put him the shop window. Ole seems to be the sort of manager who if you throw a bucket load of money at him he might, just might get a tune out of a team but there will come a point where his complete inexperience at managing at the top level will be exposed especially at lower clubs who don't have the financial clout that we do. I really can't see any club in the top flight that would be willing to take that risk.

On Poch. Do you really think he's sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring? His future has been sorted months ago and for me personally if his future is at United then I can only say that thank feck Woodward is finally starting to get his act together.
The origin of this thread seems have been forgotten. Getting us into the top 10 with this young a squad would likely factor into many team’s thinking. He was successful in Norway. Cardiff was hopeless from the start. I could see clubs come knocking. You couldn’t. That’s cool, we’re just guessing.

Regarding Poch, again, I was responding to hyperbolic nonsense. His future may well be sorted. But if clubs would chew off their own arms or whatever the original poster said Poch would be signed already. Everyone is waiting for summer to avoid paying the fee. That is all.

AshRK

I thought the first 30-40 mins against City this December was one of the best footballs we played against a top team. It wasn't hoofing the ball up or just sitting back and hoping for the best. We literally could have been 3 or 4 nil up. He does seem to know how to get better of managers who let their team play aggressive football. The issue is when teams just sit back but even that with the addition of Fernandes we seem to do reasonably well. SO one wonders maybe had Pogba not gone injured or had we signed Bruno earlier we might have got more points.

Flying high

I thought the first 30-40 mins against City this December was one of the best footballs we played against a top team. It wasn't hoofing the ball up or just sitting back and hoping for the best. We literally could have been 3 or 4 nil up. He does seem to know how to get better of managers who let their team play aggressive football. The issue is when teams just sit back but even that with the addition of Fernandes we seem to do reasonably well. SO one wonders maybe had Pogba not gone injured or had we signed Bruno earlier we might have got more points.
Agreed. And we've had that problem against deep defences for ages, whilst also not being able to play out from the back. We seem to be gradually sorting both problems out.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm assuming that's just our league record, right? I can recall two victories post Fergie against them at home anyway. The 4-2 in the league, and a 1-0 in the league cup in José's first season. Still really poor regardless.
Yes, that’s PL. Since Rooney’s famous overhead kick 9 years ago we’ve beaten them once in the PL at home, that 4-2 you mention under LVG. During that same period they have won 6 times at Old Trafford in the Premier League, 7 times overall. It’s a truly horrendous record when you consider we’re basically 50/50 with that at the Etihad in that period.

AneRu

I agree to a point. We aren't going to catch Liverpool up immediately, anyone who think we're a signing or two away from launching a title challenge is living a fantasy. But we aren't too far away from becoming a very good team who can finish Top 3, that should be the first milestone, once we've got that then we can think about launching a title challenge.

Bringing in a new Manager won't make us title challengers either for what it's worth. We're still rebuilding, 70-75 points in the League should be our objective next year. That doesn't seem too unrealistic to me as we're certainly better defensively this year and Bruno has currently helped our team in the final third (whether he can continue this form is a different question). If Sancho did join us it would be a huge step in the right direction though.
Agree with this, we aren't challenging for the title next year but we should achieve top 3 and build from there. The 2018 summer really decked up our team progression because it is then we should have added a CB and a RW then. Now it's almost too much to do in one go whilst other fissures are opening up in the first team that need to be addressed.
Problem is. we say this literally every year.

Year 1 : it's a title winning squad, only need 1-2 world class player
Year 2 : we had World class teams, only need to wait for phylosophy to mature
Year 3: A manager away
year 4 : we had jose, give him time
Year 5 : A CB/RW and a modern manager away
Year 6: A RW, LB, STRIKER away
Year 7: Title challenge?

Sorry to be pessimistic, but we're not there until it's within our sight. We're currently a good 30+ points behind Liverpool. We to almost double our point tally if we want to be anywhere near challenging for the title. Plus, people are saying Sancho this, Sancho that, as if it's a given he's gonna come here.
I understand your cautious approach but the main issue with the last few years' building work was that the majority of the signings were utter wastes of money. LVG spent around £200m and how many of his signings survived here? Shaw and Rojo?

At least with Ole it seems he is going to have around 75% hit rate with his first four signings not the previous farce where we would be spending money to replace a player we signed the previous season.

The big question is whilst we have seemingly sorted the recruitment fiasco is our manager actually good enough for the level we aspire to be competing at?

Hughie77

Summer window, build for Strikers, and wingers, I think we only go for a defender if a special one comes available! We seem to be ok in that part for now. If we get Grealish, Sancho, and a top Striker, it will be a great window, Sancho is the one who could be the most difficult to get. I'd guess there's a few going as well.

James Ward

We are about 6 signings from been a top club again. RB, CB, CM, DM, AMR, CF. We have some decent squad options below.

Lets not fool ourselves and think one or two signings will fix the issues.

The Below should be squad Players:
AWB - Not good enough at attacking. Pep or Klopp would never have signing him.
VL - Not good enough to be starting.
Scott - Decent but far from world class.
Matic - Squad Player
Martial - Too inconsistent and terrible attitude.
James - Young and playing out of posistion.
Greenwood - Exciting player but not good enough to be starting at this moment except for cup games and coming on a sub.

Players who should leave:
Andreas
JLINGZ
Mata
Sanchez
Rojo
Jones
Smalling.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Personally I think we should keep pogba and im assuming we will get 3 signings.

I think we should get a defender, a midfielder and a striker.

lysglimt

Scout
Absurd. 15+ teams in the PL would chop their hands off to get Pochettino as their coach, none other than United would hire Solskjær. Another team tried and failed badly. Ask the fans as well, would for example a Spurs-fan take Solskjær over Pochettino even after sacking the latter? Highly doubt it.
No they wouldn't. Not City, Not Leicester, Not Wolves, Not Liverpool, Not Sheffield United, Not Everton and apparently not United. Not sure Burnley would either.

Greck

No they wouldn't. Not City, Not Leicester, Not Wolves, Not Liverpool, Not Sheffield United, Not Everton and apparently not United. Not sure Burnley would either.
I think halfway through typing that post you realised he was right and decided to throw in Sheffield and Burnley just cos

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We are Pochettino or Nagelsman away from becoming the best club in England and Europe again. It is strange that we are struggling the way we are with the amount we have spent.

Even if we keep Ole and continue to outspend our rivals, that should at least get us into top four positions and a few fa, Europa league and/or carabao cup. So things are not that bleak as long as Woodward and the glazers continue to support our manager. However, if we want to get to the next level, we will need a top manager like Nagelsman or Pochettino

bondsname

We can buy all the best players in the world and we probably still won't be able to win the premier league next season. We need cohesion, spirit, belief, and a positive atmosphere. It takes time to build a winning team.

I do think we are on the right path but its going to take a few years to get back to the top.

Ollie Derbyshire

We are about 6 signings from been a top club again. RB, CB, CM, DM, AMR, CF. We have some decent squad options below.

Lets not fool ourselves and think one or two signings will fix the issues.

The Below should be squad Players:
AWB - Not good enough at attacking. Pep or Klopp would never have signing him.
VL - Not good enough to be starting.
Scott - Decent but far from world class.
Matic - Squad Player
Martial - Too inconsistent and terrible attitude.
James - Young and playing out of posistion.
Greenwood - Exciting player but not good enough to be starting at this moment except for cup games and coming on a sub.

Players who should leave:
Andreas
JLINGZ
Mata
Sanchez
Rojo
Jones
Smalling.
I don’t think he’s (AWB) half as bad going forward as some would have you believe, he’s put plenty of good crosses in the box, just no ones ever there to go for them.

Scott Mc is getting better and better, don’t think he could do anymore since coming into the team.

Martial can look lazy at times but still a quality player, don’t forget, half his games have been with Lingard, Pererria or Mata feeding him chances.

Wouldn’t mind Smalling staying if we got rid of Jones and Rojo.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don’t think he’s (AWB) half as bad going forward as some would have you believe, he’s put plenty of good crosses in the box, just no ones ever there to go for them.

Scott Mc is getting better and better, don’t think he could do anymore since coming into the team.

Martial can look lazy at times but still a quality player, don’t forget, half his games have been with Lingard, Pererria or Mata feeding him chances.

Wouldn’t mind Smalling staying if we got rid of Jones and Rojo.
Agree with you, it would help if he had a RW to link up with too. Seen some good inter-play between him and Bruno though who roams there from time to time.

Fletchageddon

For me Poch should really be at Barcelona, it makes no sense that he didn't go there or doesn't end up at Madrid. He's massively overhyped here. I think that is reflected in the fact that Barca, Juve and Real are all struggling and there's no mention of him going to any of those clubs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For me Poch should really be at Barcelona, it makes no sense that he didn't go there or doesn't end up at Madrid. He's massively overhyped here. I think that is reflected in the fact that Barca, Juve and Real are all struggling and there's no mention of him going to any of those clubs.

rollingstoned1

It's amazing that we fail to win every time Chelsea drop points, and yet somehow we've closed a gap that was at least 8 points at one stage (I think it was as much as 10??) and is now down to 3. Not sure how we did that.
that can only mean that chelsea have been almost as crap as us this season yet you almost don't hear a squeak in the media about it, i don't think lampard's job is under any threat either as i have mostly only read praise for him online.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I don't we're too off completing the build.

Pogba to remain would be a massive boost once they both return to full fitness which changes the dynamics of the team to a whole new level. An addition of a right-winger, and possibly replace Lindelof and we'd be amongst the best teams in the Premiership and Europe.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I really don't see it as I think you've been regressing and closer to become like Arsenal but I guess a lot can change in football from one season to other. So who knows everything should be possible for a club with a lot of resources.

Zen86

Leicester is a once in a bluemoon thing.

You can't really point at them look, leicester did it, so can we.
Leicester are a simple demonstration that things can just click all of a sudden, we don’t have to finish 3rd and 2nd before we can win it. And besides, nobody is saying we’re going to win the league next season anyway, you just don’t like anything that resembles positivity.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Leicester are a simple demonstration that things can just click all of a sudden, we don’t have to finish 3rd and 2nd before we can win it. And besides, nobody is saying we’re going to win the league next season anyway, you just don’t like anything that resembles positivity.
collectively agreeing on some internet prediction that is yet to come true isn't positivity.

But hey, if it makes you feel any better.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It is difficult to really judge our current squad without competent coaching stuff in place.
In theory I agree that if Pogba stayed and Sancho came in we would have a good first 11 and a bit of depth but it is still a long way.

Sultan

If all players fully fit then I'd go with the option below. It provides balance at the back with McT/Fred and Matic shielding the defence and enough goal threat to be a match for any team in the Premiership. Top 3 would be within grasp. Against lesser opposition, we can introduce a more attacking team with possibly Mata or James on the right by sacrificing one of Fred/Matic/Mctominay.

De Gea
Lindelof Maguire
AWB McTominay/Fred Matic Shaw
Bruno Pogba
Rashford
Martial

OrcaFat

It is difficult to really judge our current squad without competent coaching stuff in place.
In theory I agree that if Pogba stayed and Sancho came in we would have a good first 11 and a bit of depth but it is still a long way.
That is a bit of a cop out. Mostly it’s obvious which players are substandard - e.g. Who’s better Lingard or Bruno? Might just as well say it’s difficult to judge our coaching staff without competent players in the squad.

Also do you really think Pogba will stay? Has to be 10-1 he leaves at this point. If him and his agent can’t dispel the rumours he surely is in the Lukaku bracket and we’ll even cut our losses on him just to get him out of the place.

We do need a RW. I need to see more of Sancho (must check YouTube). But there’s a few more areas where we need depth. CF DM and CB. Having said that, when we get Rashford back the attack starts to look pretty strong with Bruno pulling the strings.

Reactions: Sultan

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We’ll know how far away we are when we get Poch in the summer. It’s hard to tell under Ole when our one & only tactic is hope the opposition make a mistake. We’ve got some good players, we’ve got some bad players, let’s see how we do business in the summer & reevaluate when we have a real coach in charge.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I really want Pogba off, but also really have high hopes seeing Bruno and Pogba in the same midfield

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
We’ll know how far away we are when we get Poch in the summer. It’s hard to tell under Ole when our one & only tactic is hope the opposition make a mistake. We’ve got some good players, we’ve got some bad players, let’s see how we do business in the summer & reevaluate when we have a real coach in charge.
Well that's clearly wrong, no?

Sultan

I don't think you've been watching United close of late if you think United's tactics are dependent on the opposition making errors. I've been watching some fantastic football from the team. Your possible lack of assessment for Ole might be an issue when watching games.

Last edited:

Greck

I don't think you've been watching United closely lately if you think United tactics are dependent on the opposition making errors. I've been watching some fantastic football from the team. Your possible lack of assessment for Ole might be an issue when watching games.
We have better spells in patches but I wouldn't exactly call it fantastic football on the whole though all of this is admittedly subjective. When it comes to progress, since Bruno joined it feels like our high points are now higher but our low points are still just as low and frequent giving the illusion of improvement. I still expect an uninspired performance every other game and the lads haven't disappointed, unfortunately