How far off is this squad from a title challenge?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I reckon we'd be leading the pack if we had Grealish :drool:

But the next flurry of games will be telling in any case - we have a lot of quality, I hope Cavani stays fit and who knows? Ole can still surprise us all I guess

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We are one big sigining away from it (after everytime we had a decent game), and we are half a squad+manager away (after every loss).

Gabagoo

No your stats are largely meaningless anyway.
There is definitely an element of "let's add up some numbers and graph them" to those stats, I agree. de Gea being midway down one list of GKs stats over this small set of games does not mean we have an issue.

And to say that we need a GK over a right winger is one of the stupidest takes I could possibly think of. We have two very good GKs and no one that does a competent job at RW.

city-puma

We played really well against mc. As always, when playing against a high-pressing team, the first 20-25 mins, we were still shaky but I saw the improvements already. I feel we are starting to truly understand what’s needed to play that period. The next real test about it is against Leeds. If we get three points from it, we will form a unstoppable winning run.

hungrywing

True, he's riding Bruno hard, but with a good RW and DM and CB like people are clamoring for, it's only going to get better. And there's a very good chance that had Pogba not played against Spurs and L'Arse, we'd be around four points better off on top of this.

We're on pace to be around fifteen points better than last year's sixty-six. (which is what a lot of people said would be an acceptable improvement upon last season)

The main concern was always that Pool and City might keep up their 95+ point ways.

If Diallo hits the ground running, we could get to the mid/high 80s. From there all bets are off this season.

lysglimt

Scout
If an injury-free VVD was playing for us, I would consider us favourites. That is how close we are. But I am convinced - if a team pick up 85 points this season, they will win the league.

meamth

We are one or two players on form away from being a title challenger.

Defending can be better,
Forwards should grab their form by now, and see how far can we go.

That's the only things lacking for me.
I see great players in our squad for the firsf time since the last 7 years.

This team will grow stronger.

DeGea

We are close, but need a couple more signings at least. A better CB, and cover for Bruno.

Bojan11

If Woodward next month can get us another Bruno type signing in defence then we got a chance to challenge.

redNATION

Title 21, I can feel it coursing through my veins! A CB and right winger in Jan, and it’s ours I feel, I just have that feeling I used to get under Fergie when we went on a run and you knew we would go on to win it :drool: :cool:

Rajma

You feckers don’t jinx it with these bumps, we still have another half of football.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
2 points

Seriously though - Ed should be begging to invest money in January, this is his chance to actually come out with any positivity of his stay.

dal

If we had Grealish and Phillips this year I think we would win the title.

I still think we can win the title but Martial
And Greenwood have to seriously improve and their is plenty of time for them to do so.

Nick.

We are far off and you guys are getting really carried away lately

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm finding it very hard to judge in this erratic season.

I'm confident Liverpool are much better than us and that will show in the long run. Beyond that though it's a bit of a mess.

I do know that we're insanely dependent on Bruno though, so we're only ever that one injury away from disaster.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Still a way off, today's game is an anomoly.
To be fair, if we win today we will be joint on points with Everton in 3rd with a game in hand. Win the game in hand and we will only be 2 points off Liverpool in 1st. That doesn't suggest we are too far off, never mind 'still a way off'.

Zen86

We’re not far off at all. I don’t think we’ll win the league this season, but I think we’re a couple of key signings away from a serious challenge.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s still far too erratic for a title challenge. Titles are won on consistency and we can’t even manage that over the course of 90 minutes.

I will admit that games like today make for a great watch though. There will inevitably be too many days when it costs points, however.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
There is something with starting slow and being very sleepy during first 30 minutes. I don't know if it is a mentality or a coaching issue.
Some player's mentality are questionable. Pogba and Martial need to show more consistency and concentration on the field. This weak mindset affects the whole team and brings the whole vibe down.
More rotation is definitely needed. I hope that 2nd half of the season gives Ole some belief to play more his 2nd choice players and giving key players more rest. It helps to keep the injuries away as well.

These things need to be fixed. Otherwise a top4 challenge would be our new title challenge.

And some signings, of course.

AneRu

I think a CB, DM and RW will do. Ironically these are the positions I felt we needed to strengthen in the summer.

We need to be very careful with the DM we select though because I think we a Carrick type more than we need a Ndidi one. I would have Fred and McTominay competing for the terrier ball hunter, the Fletcher to Carrick, and sign a playmaking DM.

The CB needs to be someone with pace and anticipation because of who he will be paired with.

I think with these two roles covered we have enough creativity and goals to challenge but a striker and RW would do nicely but with spending constraints I'd go for the CB and DM first and take my chances with a combination of Greenwood, Diallo, Pellistri and Mata rotating for the RW and continue with Cavani and Martial for the 9.

Green_Red

Still a way off, today's game is an anomoly.
Nah it's the manner of the comebacks on the road that make we think we finally have a squad with the right mentality to challenge. They don't give up and continue to believe they can score goals. We're not that far away, but always more work to be done. Let's see where we are at the start of March. That's when we will really know for sure how close this team is to a title challenge.

mu4c_20le

If only we beat Arsenal like everyone else, and then win our game in hand, we'd be first. Crazy season.

The Serb

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Very knee jerk reactions in here. We were fantastic today but ultimately I don’t believe we can keep up anywhere the consistency required to challenge Liverpool over the course of the season. Still around 4/5 signings away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Read a smug piece in the paper the other day about how Jose has made Tottenham "genuine title contenders" in a year less than Solskjaer has been here.
Roll on...TWO DAYS and we're above them with a game in hand.

Got to love it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Like it or not, we are currently challenging for the title. Not sure i fancy Leicester away next, but regardless we are in the mix

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Put it this way, if we win our remaining games we’ll be Champions.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We'll be the most likely challengers to Liverpool at this rate.

Real danger of the scouse pulling away over the Xmas period. Their games are very kind.

Bobski

Second is doable, mainly because none of the other teams are all that, Utd for all the flaws have great talent and more than decent depth.