I still think this team:

Code:
[CENTER]DDG

Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra

Carrick Anderson
Rooney
Nani        Kagawa
RVP[/CENTER]
Has huge potential to fight for every title and play great football against anyone, will we ever see it though? not sure.

Cina

I think Carrick and Anderson would get mauled by bigger teams. Other than that it's good though.

Adebesi

Yep that team would kick ass and there is some good talent on the bench as well. Mind you, given the fact Anderson is Anderson (and Cleverley is Cleverley) I still think we need to sign another midfielder to play in that position before I will feel comfortable with our first XI.

@Cina: I would play Rooney a little further back than that map implies, chipping in in midfield to provide a bit of extra steel.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Our ability to win a game, no matter how badly we play, is the best in the world.
It is. Performance level we shouldn't be anywhere near the top, we've probably won around 10 points that we shouldn't have so far this season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Y'know what we're a hell of a lot better than most people on this forum think. That's all there is to it basically.

Comfortably through in Europe. Top of the prem having been to Anfield and Stamford Bridge.

People on this forum all through the summer and start of the season were predicting Chelsea to be better than us this season. We constantly shut these people up week in week out.

Sarni

Anderson having an injury season would feel like a hallucination.
Indeed, that's clearly not going to happen for him. At best we can hope for him to be ready to play 25-30 games a season in the league. We have to use him when we can though because he has the most potential of all our midfielders. It's a shame that both him and Cleverley can't stay fit because they could be good. Perhaps not world class in the same mould as Barcelona or Bayern midfielders, we don't have anyone who can be that good, but good enough to dominate most teams.

Sarni

Y'know what we're a hell of a lot better than most people on this forum think. That's all there is to it basically.

Comfortably through in Europe. Top of the prem having been to Anfield and Stamford Bridge.

People on this forum all through the summer and start of the season were predicting Chelsea to be better than us this season. We constantly shut these people up week in week out.
I wouldn't put any meaning to our European games this season. If anything I think it's been a poor campaign so far. We were in a terrible group, possibly the worst anyone's ever been in, and didn't look impressive in any of the games. I know we're through while Chelsea and City aren't but honestly, looking at groups it feels like we've been in a different competition.

As for the league we're gathering points much better than we're looking. We looked terrible at Anfield, absolutely awful, yet won. We played for 30 minutes and it was all Chelsea after that at Stamford, against 9 men it was no contest though. Newcastle was our best performance away from home so far.

MrMojo

I wouldn't put any meaning to our European games this season. If anything I think it's been a poor campaign so far. We were in a terrible group, possibly the worst anyone's ever been in, and didn't look impressive in any of the games. I know we're through while Chelsea and City aren't but honestly, looking at groups it feels like we've been in a different competition.

As for the league we're gathering points much better than we're looking. We looked terrible at Anfield, absolutely awful, yet won. We played for 30 minutes and it was all Chelsea after that at Stamford, against 9 men it was no contest though. Newcastle was our best performance away from home so far.
CL group qualification is like a comfort blanket for some, amazing that so many use it as an indicator of success. Look at the size and quality of our club/players compared to the ther teams. Not qualifying would be like Klitschko getting knocked out by an amateur.

Adebesi

Its just unfair to the team as a whole.

We have fantastic forwards, who are keeping the show on the road. But they need better service - from midfield.

We have some very promising defenders who are well capable of keeping clean sheets, IMO. But they need protection - by the midfield.

Maybe I am simplifying our problems too much in my own head. But I feel like if we sorted out this position, so we had quality and consistency, the same people playing together regularly, everything else would fall into place. We are holding ourselves back.

Twigg, clearly we are a very good team, we all know that. But we could be so much better. And now Cleverley and Anderson are both out of the picture, for a while at least, we may find it hard to keep our noses in front.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
fecking hell City got knocked out by Ajax. Going through the groups playing shite football and resting key players is what we've done for fecking years. Some of you don't half get negative.

Sarni

CL group qualification is like a comfort blanket for some, amazing that so many use it as an indicator of success. Look at the size and quality of our club/players compared to the ther teams. Not qualifying would be like Klitschko getting knocked out by an amateur.
Exactly. We were in a group with Galatasaray who haven't been in CL for a while, Braga who are the third best team in Portugal at best and Cluj who have won about 1 CL game until this season. You can look through Europa League groups and you'd find that most are stronger than this.

I know we were in a crap group last year too and got eliminated but this one is far worse. It'd be like Klitschko getting knocked out by a disabled person.

Sarni

fecking hell City got knocked out by Ajax. Going through the groups playing shite football and resting key players is what we've done for fecking years. Some of you don't half get negative.
It's being realistic, us being through in Europe isn't an indication of success. We were in a poor group and HAD to go through. We've not been tested in Europe yet and looking at our last 15 European games (including horror show against Athletic) I wouldn't be too confident.

Ajax are still much better than anyone we've played in Europe this season. They also happened to have Real Madrid and Dortmund in their group, which you didn't notice.

MrMojo

Exactly. We were in a group with Galatasaray who haven't been in CL for a while, Braga who are the third best team in Portugal at best and Cluj who have won about 1 CL game until this season. You can look through Europa League groups and you'd find that most are stronger than this.

I know we were in a crap group last year too and got eliminated but this one is far worse. It'd be like Klitschko getting knocked out by a disabled person.
I think getting knocked out last year tricks some into believing qualifying this year is indicator of quality. Truth is we could have qualified from this group if me or you were managing and I'm not joking. In fact, the team wouldn't need a manager at all, just turning up would do the trick.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's being realistic, us being through in Europe isn't an indication of success. We were in a poor group and HAD to go through. We've not been tested in Europe yet and looking at our last 15 European games (including horror show against Athletic) I wouldn't be too confident.

Ajax are still much better than anyone we've played in Europe this season. They also happened to have Real Madrid and Dortmund in their group, which you didn't notice.
And they finished below Ajax.

Yes we've had an easy group. We qualified easily from it.

Barce had more scares than us FFS.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I still think this team:

Code:
[CENTER]DDG

Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra

Carrick Anderson
Rooney
Nani        Kagawa
RVP[/CENTER]
Has huge potential to fight for every title and play great football against anyone, will we ever see it though? not sure.
That does look top class. I hope we see that formation at some point - it's definitely the way to get all our best technical players into the line up.

Chabon

So, we've won 13 out of 16 league games this season, which is clearly mental, and we also won the four CL games we cared about. So that's a record of 17 wins in 20 first team matches this season, 13 of which were away from home.

I'm starting to think we might actually be amazing.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
So, we've won 13 out of 16 league games this season, which is clearly mental, and we also won the four CL games we cared about. So that's a record of 17 wins in 20 first team matches this season, 13 of which were away from home.

Apart from the inconvenient fact that we've been largely shite.

The White Pele

There's still more to come yet. The defence will get tighter and we can expect more from the wingers. Really excited about this team.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Um, you can't just discount 2 matches in your analysis because you judged us not to care, not really anyway.

Other way of looking it is we've lost 5 matches before Christmas, conceded first in something like half (!) of our matches and have never really put in a convincing 90 minute display.

Chabon

Yes, I can? We didn't play the first team in either match, nor in the league cup matches, so what possible use are they for judging the quality of the first team?

Apart from the inconvenient fact that we've been largely shite.
Shite at looking competent whilst winning football matches. But the fact is we do win them, constantly, regardless of opponent, which is rather the point of football.

Plechazunga

Shite at looking competent whilst winning football matches. But the fact is we do win them, constantly, regardless of opponent, which is rather the point of football.
Fair enough. When I started the thread I meant 'good' to mean actually playing well. But i suppose you could make an argument that we are good in the sense of successful.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
That isn't sustainable though.

There has been far too many close calls this season. Only looking at the results is way too narrow minded, performances indicate where we are as a team and this season has been pretty unconvincing in parts.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
You know I can't remember even one game this season bar perhaps Newcastle where we've been amazing for a majority of the 90 mins. We played brilliantly in phases against Chelsea and City but that's about it.

I think we've become masters of winning by doing the bare minimum.

kietotheworld

Looking purely at results from 17 fixtures is a crap way to ascertain the quality of the side. the sample size is far too small, it doesn't take into account factors like luck and quality of opponent, and most importantly quality and results don't directly correlate. While it's true that the better your side is, the more likely you are to win matches, it doesn't follow that winning a lot of matches must mean your side is brilliant, certainly not over such a short period of time.

Plechazunga

I'm still hopeful that we'll gel after Christmas. We've looked poor mainly because none of our three wingers (or Welbeck who's been playing wide) have been in form; Anderson, Cleverley and Kagawa have been injured; Vidic and Smalling have been injured; and Fergie's put out some daft sides.

Now that our defence and midfield are nearly back, I reckon we'll improve. Valencia and Young getting a bit of confidence back would help.

Positives: Jonny Evans and Rafael have been largely terrific, Evra is looking back to, if not his best, something not a million miles from it, RVP is sensational, and above all we're in poll position despite it all.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Looking purely at results from 17 fixtures is a crap way to ascertain the quality of the side. the sample size is far too small, it doesn't take into account factors like luck and quality of opponent, and most importantly quality and results don't directly correlate. While it's true that the better your side is, the more likely you are to win matches, it doesn't follow that winning a lot of matches must mean your side is brilliant, certainly not over such a short period of time.
Definitely, I mean against Southampton, Reading, Villa and Fulham we got the three points but there was plenty wrong with the performances.

kietotheworld

Definitely, I mean against Southampton, Reading, Villa and Fulham we got the three points but there was plenty wrong with the performances.
Exactly, and against City we could easily have been screwed out of 3 points by the linesman's wrong call on Young's "goal", or if the ball had hit Nasri 1cm differently, results simply aren't that good a barometer of a team's quality, they hinge on such tiny margins at times.

There's a tendency in football for people to envisage that everything's part of a plan or narrative, that the best team always wins, people are never really prepared to attribute things to luck. When United score in the last minute it's because of Ferguson's never say die attitude he instils in the players or when a team plays badly and wins, it's always the stuff of Champions/Survivors etc., never just that the goal happened to come in a particular minute or the team got lucky. I suppose it's more interesting for the media to write about but using it to evaluate the quality of a team and treating it as reliable is asinine.

Chabon

13 out of 16 isn't just good, you know, it's bloody brilliant. It's over 30 wins a season if we keep it up.

That isn't sustainable though.
Why not? We were like this in the first half of 1999-2000, at least in terms of the crap defending, and in the second half of that season we just went and started hammering everyone. The goals aren't going to dry up, and if Vidic comes back and restores some order we will be a terrifying prospect.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
There's a tendency in football for people to envisage that everything's part of a plan or narrative, that the best team always wins, people are never really prepared to attribute things to luck. When United score in the last minute it's because of Ferguson's never say die attitude he instils in the players or when a team plays badly and wins, it's always the stuff of Champions/Survivors etc., never just that the goal happened to come in a particular minute or the team got lucky. I suppose it's more interesting for the media to write about but using it to evaluate the quality of a team and treating it as reliable is asinine.
Like the grand national innit. I confidently predict this year it will be won by a fairytale winner.

Plechazunga

Exactly, and against City we could easily have been screwed out of 3 points by the linesman's wrong call on Young's "goal", or if the ball had hit Nasri 1cm differently, results simply aren't that good a barometer of a team's quality, they hinge on such tiny margins at times.

There was a thread on here a while back where some cretin maintained that luck in football didn't exist.

A few years ago someone did a statistical analysis that suggested what seems intuitively obvious, that luck plays a big part in low-scoring games like football. They reckoned the best team wins a league competition about 85% of the time, if I remember right. Cup competitions obviously much less.

kietotheworld

13 out of 16 isn't just good, you know, it's bloody brilliant. It's over 30 wins a season if we keep it up.
OK, fine, it's amazing, it's incredible, but you're going to need to come up with a better argument that "Look at our results!" to convince people that that the team will be able to keep it up. There are grounds for optimism, but simply looking at the numbers and assuming they're going to continue isn't really a meaningful point.

Also, if you are going to insist on extrapolating trends purely from the numbers, it'd be a lot more useful to use points as your basis rather than wins, points are a lot more important. As an aside, it'd do no harm to your point, a pure numerical extrapolation has us finishing over 14 points clear at the top of the table.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Why not? We were like this in the first half of 1999-2000, at least in terms of the crap defending, and in the second half of that season we just went and started hammering everyone. The goals aren't going to dry up, and if Vidic comes back and restores some order we will be a terrifying prospect.
Well you are kind of insinuating there that the bad performances are going to stop, in which case you're changing the discussion.

I'm saying it isn't sustainable to play poorly and win all the time. In general you get what you deserve and if you play shit then you can't expect to win the match, you might do, but you can't expect to and repeatedly doing so isn't going to last.

Take the Southampton or Aston Villa game, we didn't play near our best and it took a 3 goal turn a round against Villa and goals in the 87th and 90th minute against Southampton. That isn't sustainable, we managed to get through it on those occasions but there was an element of fortune involved and if you put yourself in that position sometimes it won't work out.

VoetbalWizard

hope we don't mirror 99/2000. smash teams up and down the country en route to the league and get foolishly picked apart by Madrid in Europe.

kietotheworld

There was a thread on here a while back where some cretin maintained that luck in football didn't exist.

A few years ago someone did a statistical analysis that suggested what seems intuitively obvious, that luck plays a big part in low-scoring games like football. They reckoned the best team wins a league competition about 85% of the time, if I remember right. Cup competitions obviously much less.
Sounds about right, but I'd be interested to know the methodology behind that sort of study. One of the annoying things about the "Best team always wins the League" rhetoric is that it's so difficult to disprove, given that there's no better way of fairly evaluating a team's quality.