Television How I Met Your Mother

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Seasons 2-4 were excellent. Five is where it turned a bit, but even that had some of the best episodes.

My favourites are Slap Bet, then into season five: The Playbook - Barney's best episode - Perfect Week - his second best. Season six, despite taking a massive dip had probably the best episode with Bad News. Certainly one of, if not my favourite episode. Segel did really well in it. The final scene he didn't know what the line would be, he knew where his cue was, but not what he'd say. Totally improvised and done in one take.

I'm going to watch it now actually.
:eek:

No. Way. And he managed to make it just as unfunny as the rest of the show? That's what you call talent. Come on Liam, take a step back and see it for the humourless, talentless, brainless comedy that it is.

Liam147

On Probation
:eek:

No. Way. And he managed to make it just as unfunny as the rest of the show? That's what you call talent. Come on Liam, take a step back and see it for the humourless, talentless, brainless comedy that it is.
Please, tell me more about your opinions on HIMYM.

Have you even seen the episode?

"Segel said the original script had Lily saying she was pregnant, but on the scene's actual shooting day, the producers revealed that the scene will turn out differently. He and Hannigan worked out a plan wherein Segel would only know that his cue to react would be on Hannigan finishing her line with the word "it". The scene was done in only one take."

Brwned

Please, tell me more about your opinions on HIMYM.

Have you even seen the episode?

"Segel said the original script had Lily saying she was pregnant, but on the scene's actual shooting day, the producers revealed that the scene will turn out differently. He and Hannigan worked out a plan wherein Segel would only know that his cue to react would be on Hannigan finishing her line with the word "it". The scene was done in only one take."
Yes, it took me until about season 6 and a bit of growing up to realise it's a crap show. I'm just trying to speed up the process with you. Seriously, that quote you've just given...that's not impressive. If you want to watch genuinely funny family-fun type sitcom then watch Arrested Development. If you want quality improv watch Curb. HIMYM has neither and the writing has never been good at any point, there was no dip in quality, it's just people are tired of the cheap humour and formulaic nature of it all. Can't believe some of you still watch it even though you know it's crap.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've half watched the last bunch while the missus watches it. That scene in the last one where they discover the crazy chick is a cop and launch into The Departed impressions was yet another ridiculous example of their 'in jokes' that come from nowhere and we're supposed to just accept as realistic.

Obviously discovering someone you know is a police officer happens so often that you have a go-to gag for the situation.

Liam147

On Probation
Yes, it took me until about season 6 and a bit of growing up to realise it's a crap show. I'm just trying to speed up the process with you. Seriously, that quote you've just given...that's not impressive. If you want to watch genuinely funny family-fun type sitcom then watch Arrested Development. If you want quality improv watch Curb. HIMYM has neither and the writing has never been good at any point, there was no dip in quality, it's just people are tired of the cheap humour and formulaic nature of it all. Can't believe some of you still watch it even though you know it's crap.
You've told me to watch AD before, and I do. I think it's the funniest comedy I've ever watched. HIMYM is more along the lines of the easily watchable TBBT, Friends and Scrubs. Barring TBBT which is got shitter I love the others.

Brwned

You'll soon realise they're all painfully plain. I love Friends but only as a memory...as a comedy it's just so uninspired.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Problem with shows like these is that there's nothing intelligent about the comedy they offer. It's cheap and fun and while there's nothing wrong with it, the novelty that any and all characters that they have bring to the table wears off after a couple of seasons or so. Was the case with Friends, is the case with HIMYM. While some characters on these shows are eternally annoying i.e. Ted or Ross or the mother of them all, Alan on two and a half men.

Minkaro

Ted's pretty much a dick. There's an episode where he has this epiphany that his friends stop him from being a pretentious tosser.

Really? They're not doing a very good job of it then, are they?

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
I think the reason they are successful is that they are so bland and unchallenging? Like Corrie.
Probably. I liked HIMYM for Barney and Robin for the first couple of seasons but as soon as the novelty wore off, they started to seem repetitive and the others who were already annoying became unbearable after that which is when I stopped watching. Same was the case with Friends for me. Watched the first 3 seasons and a bit, I think.

EDIT: In fact, I think Robin might be the only character on HIMYM who wasn't such a pussy. Certainly had more balls than Ted and the big dude. It was the case then, don't know if it's still the same.

Brwned

I think there's a familiarity to it as well. I grew up watching Friends with my family so something marketed as "Friends with ...." naturally appealed to me as a 14/15 year old. Likewise so many women will have their mums watching Corrie and the rest so it just becomes part of their daily routine, you don't question why you watch it even though deep down you know it's bland.

Liam147

On Probation
Turned into a half decent episode. Still worse than it was, but decent for the new standard. The mother almost certainly won't be met until the end of S9. I might just let them pile up for a bit now, and watch them all when this season ends.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yep I must admit I more or less enjoyed that one, it was ok. There was the usual meh crap, but there were also some very funny parts. Barney's mini monologue about threesomes had me in stitches. :lol:

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Turned into a half decent episode. Still worse than it was, but decent for the new standard. The mother almost certainly won't be met until the end of S9. I might just let them pile up for a bit now, and watch them all when this season ends.
you mean 8?
cause last I heard this was the last season of the show.

I hated it! I even skipped through most of it. Lily was actually quite fit back in the early seasons. Now she's just a fat member of Band Camp.
Lily was a hawt mama in season 2, got increasingly harder to "like" that way since.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Jesus Christ, are you grumpy old gits actually telling someone what they should think is funny or not? I adore Arrested Development, but I still enjoy HIMYM. How some of you are able to be so arrogant at times is beyond belief. (Aimed at most of the posts at the very beginning of this thread).

The Neviller

It's a pretty bland show in truth, which doesn't in the slightest deter me from watching it. I don't rush to download episodes, or watch it religiously. I've no idea even what series i've watched, but as something to flick on when I come home from work, E4 has this, Scrubs and Big Bang, and they're all just easy watching for an hour or two.

None of them a patch on Arrested Development, but still watchable.

The Neviller

You want to get a life Liam, and stop religiously watching absolute shite.

Nah, if you like it then watch away, never listen to what anyone says. It might not be as intelligent as some other shows, or as funny, but if you like it then so what?

You sad bastard.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Quite good episode. Robin not screaming and Lily+Marshall not being annoying feckwits helps a lot. Seemed more like one of the older episodes in many ways - particularly with all the things Barney had installed in the apartment.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Why are people lumping Scrubs in with laugh-box shite like HIMYM, TBBT and Two and a Half Twats?

Its far better than those three in every single way. Better humor, better characters, actually has some episodes with real ethical dilemmas instead of inane superficial crap issues every week, and no fecking laugter machines.

Cina

Yeah, Scrubs was a very good show back in the day.

Like many American sitcoms though, it went very downfill after 4-5 seasons, once Heather Graham came into it.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Scrubs interns (or whatever it was called) remains one of the worst comedies I have seen however. Ruined what was a great ending to the series.

The Neviller

Why are people lumping Scrubs in with laugh-box shite like HIMYM, TBBT and Two and a Half Twats?

Its far better than those three in every single way. Better humor, better characters, actually has some episodes with real ethical dilemmas instead of inane superficial crap issues every week, and no fecking laugter machines.
Yeah, it was far superior, but then took a bit of a nose dive. I wasn't really grouping them in together in terms of quality, just that in the UK they're all on at around home from work time on the same channel.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
I agree Scrubs took a dive, but theres hardly any comedy that doesnt after around 4-5 seasons. Its so hard to keep the shows fresh and stop the characters from either becoming stale or ridiculously exaggerated. Seinfeld is of course an exception. The only recent one I can think of thats held the same standard through many seasons is Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Difference between those aforementioned shows is that Scrubs started out as an excellent show and then dove into mediocrity but still with a few gems. Shows like HIMYM and TBBT started out good and dove into utter crap after ~4 seasons.

Two and a Half Men got stale after 1 season. They really have the same 3 storylines and jokes every episode: Charlie gambles, drinks and gets laid, the fat kid is rude, Alan is pathetic and whiny.