How is Rooney still in our first 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utd7

Jose doesn't do sentimentality. If/when Rooney struggles and prevents the team from fulfilling its capabilities, Mourinho will drop him without blinking an eye. This isn't LvG who said my captain "shall always play."
But I hope Rooney does perform well under pressure. That means not only scoring a goal from being at the right place at the right time as it skews the perception that he had a good match. He needs to be well rounded and consistent in all facets of the game.

Beej

Rooney is mostly the total opposite to what Jose wants from his #10. Lets see how long it takes before he is dropped.
I don't agree with that. When we were attacking he was doing a bit of everything, involved in the build up, getting in the box, spraying the ball around. Defensively he was pressing high working with Zlatan to close down the centrebacks and then dropping in a a third midfielder if it wasn't won back. These are all things Mourinho wants in a 10 and Rooney is capable of delivering and did alright against Bournemouth.

My main grievance with him today, apart from being a bit sloppy on the ball a couple of times, was that there were three clear chances that he should of converted but didn't. His lack off pace is a real shame on the counter too. There were a few times when you know five years ago he would have knocked the ball past the fullback and charged on, but he just can't do it anymore.

cfkane

So you'd play Scholes if he came back? Or Sparky? How about Bobby? Rooney's achieved huge things with us, and his record speaks for itself - but he's not that player any more, and picking him because he used to be good is just madness.
No, I wouldn't pick them if they came back unless they earned it, but I also wouldn't deride them either. I would remember the contributions they made to the team in the good years and admit they are past it. What bothers me about many of the anti-Rooney people on the caf is that they act like Rooney never gave anything to MUFC and should just feck off. Without Rooney, it is quite possible that some of the silverware in our trophy room wouldn't be there. So when you talk about how Rooney is past it and should move on, at least have enough class to respect what he has brought the club

spwd

No, I wouldn't pick them if they came back unless they earned it, but I also wouldn't deride them either. I would remember the contributions they made to the team in the good years and admit they are past it. What bothers me about many of the anti-Rooney people on the caf is that they act like Rooney never gave anything to MUFC and should just feck off. Without Rooney, it is quite possible that some of the silverware in our trophy room wouldn't be there. So when you talk about how Rooney is past it and should move on, at least have enough class to respect what he has brought the club

Everyone does respect what he has done in the past, but we don't live in the past, we live in the now and he's nowhere near good enough now and he's keeping better Players in his positionsssss out of the team or they get fecked around in wrong positions due to us shoehorning him in the team, I honestly think Jose is doing this to prove he's shit so he doesn't get ridiculous amounts of flack when he does drop him.

cfkane

Everyone does respect what he has done in the past, but we don't live in the past, we live in the now and he's nowhere near good enough now and he's keeping better Players in his positionsssss out of the team or they get fecked around in wrong positions due to us shoehorning him in the team, I honestly think Jose is doing this to prove he's shit so he doesn't get ridiculous amounts of flack when he does drop him.
It is on the manager to make those decisions. Rooney isn't keeping better players out. Mourinho, LVG an Moyes were. Rooney wants to play. If he is picked, he will play. Criticize the manager, not the player, because every one of us would love to pull on that red shirt and play at OT. Why should any one else be different. I think LVG deserves much criticism for continuing to play an obviously out of form Rooney, but it's too early to make long term judgements under Jose.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It is on the manager to make those decisions. Rooney isn't keeping better players out. Mourinho, LVG an Moyes were. Rooney wants to play. If he is picked, he will play. Criticize the manager, not the player, because every one of us would love to pull on that red shirt and play at OT. Why should any one else be different. I think LVG deserves much criticism for continuing to play an obviously out of form Rooney, but it's too early to make long term judgements under Jose.
Wow. it's always someone else's fault

Moyes - meh, it's moyes
LVG - shit tactics, scratch that 2 years
Mourinho - New beginning, resurrection of rooney, see how rooney scores now bla bla bla. Rooney playing bad - it's the managers fault.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Wow. it's always someone else's fault

Moyes - meh, it's moyes
LVG - shit tactics, scratch that 2 years
Mourinho - New beginning, resurrection of rooney, see how rooney scores now bla bla bla. Rooney playing bad - it's the managers fault.
Read his comment again. He's not saying that it's the managers fault that Rooney plays bad, he says that it's the managers fault that Rooney plays. I don't think any pro footballer would give up their spot in the team if they were in Rooney's position, even if everyone and their mother knows that they aren't as good as they used to be. I'd try to do my best to play better, which is what I presume is the exact thing Rooney is trying to do.

Rooney was our worst player yesterday imo, but still a step up from the dross he showed on average last season.
I hope we start playing a proper 4-3-3 when Pogba comes in with Rooney on the bench though.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
I didn't watch, but it seems he didn't play well despite the goal.

Would you still want him in the first eleven if he keeps up with a decent goal return despite playing like that?

Seven Seas Sardines

That's what I'm thinking and hoping. I'm choosing to stay positive about the December starting lineup.

Ibra
Martial Mkhitaryan Marcus​

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
In the 13–14 season, he played against us without any strikers almost as if to say to Rooney (when he still wanted him) "this could be you in our squad, filling the missing striker spot" so I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Jose doesn't do sentimentality. If/when Rooney struggles and prevents the team from fulfilling its capabilities, Mourinho will drop him without blinking an eye. This isn't LvG who said my captain "shall always play."
But I hope Rooney does perform well under pressure. That means not only scoring a goal from being at the right place at the right time as it skews the perception that he had a good match. He needs to be well rounded and consistent in all facets of the game.
If that's the case Rooney will be dropped for the next game but we all know he won't be.

Kaos

If that's the case Rooney will be dropped for the next game but we all know he won't be.
He's not going to drop him after scoring, even if he was generally shit.

It'll take a run of games where he's singlehandedly killing our attacks and failing to score for Jose to finally strike. It'll come.

Witchking

It'll take a run of games where he's singlehandedly killing our attacks and failing to score for Jose to finally strike. It'll come.
Jose said that, when he was out of Chelsea, he watched a lot of matches and saw a lot of United as well. If he saw the matches last season where Rooney was killing off all the attacks and still keeps starting Rooney then there's no hope that he will ever be dropped.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't agree with that. When we were attacking he was doing a bit of everything, involved in the build up, getting in the box, spraying the ball around. Defensively he was pressing high working with Zlatan to close down the centrebacks and then dropping in a a third midfielder if it wasn't won back. These are all things Mourinho wants in a 10 and Rooney is capable of delivering and did alright against Bournemouth.

My main grievance with him today, apart from being a bit sloppy on the ball a couple of times, was that there were three clear chances that he should of converted but didn't. His lack off pace is a real shame on the counter too. There were a few times when you know five years ago he would have knocked the ball past the fullback and charged on, but he just can't do it anymore.
Get a youtube and point me his involvement other than back pass. He's all over the park, and when he receives the ball he just give it backwards without attracting defender, or anything of use.

Basically the team would do just the same if they dont pass to him.

And that doesn't even count the many times he lost possession.

And if you think that's not too bad, imagine a full firing pogba instead of him

itso 7

I think Jose is too results oriented to wait for that, if Rooney performs like that (shit all round performance masked by a goal) in a defeat to a club like City, which is bound to hurt Mourinho, he will be dropped. Right now he is winning the squad over so his ruthlessness won't come to the fore but he will snap if Rooney is dreadful in a game that really matters to him.

fellaini's barber

We have a better team than last season, if Rooney grabbing a few goals while playing shit is all it takes for him to keep getting picked then he won't be benched anytime soon. Anybody, I mean anybody will score goals if played as much as Rooney does

rocks13

Let's hope so. I really hope we lose our next 5 games really badly to get Rooney out of the team.

djdhrubs

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, but Danny Murphy on MOTD yesterday said he thought Rooney was superb. What exactly is it that large sections of the media/ pundits see that we don't?

dave2528

Let's hope so. I really hope we lose our next 5 games really badly to get Rooney out of the team.
:lol: I know right? I'm hoping we never win again while he's still able to walk.

Just imagine if he hadn't scored and we hadn't won that match comfortably. This place would be like Rome on fire.

We've played 1 match, won that and, the player scored. It might be a bit premature to bring out the torches and pitchforks.

jojose

Lol we have even resorted to speculating that he's an alcoholic, such is his control?

I doubt he'd get away with that, as even if we shafted ourself with ridiculous contract terms, an athlete turning out drunk must surely constitute a breach.

If ever he's been drunk on he pitch though, it would have been at Villa Park last year, which is up there with the worst performances I've ever seen in top level football I think.
The drunk thing was brought up by myself. Originally it was tongue in cheek. But like I say, he has history turning up for training pissed up.

You mention that his Villa park performance was up there with the worst you have ever seen and being there myself I would have to agree.

So how can a player who many on here rate as one of the worlds best at his peak, drop to producing one of "the worst performances I've ever seen in top level football"??? At the age of 30??? or even 29 at the time. Granted players who rely on physical attributes decline quickly. However, I have never seen a top level footballer go from Europe's elite to consistently putting in one of "the worst performances I've ever seen in top level football" without something else effecting him.

rocks13

:lol:

Just imagine if he hadn't scored and we hadn't won that match comfortably. This place would be like Rome on fire.
Just imagine if he keeps scoring every match and the team keeps winning. This place will go into meltdown.

3KDré

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, but Danny Murphy on MOTD yesterday said he thought Rooney was superb. What exactly is it that large sections of the media/ pundits see that we don't?
I don't think they actually watch the bloody game. I just can't see how they fail to see it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The drunk thing was brought up by myself. Originally it was tongue in cheek. But like I say, he has history turning up for training pissed up.

You mention that his Villa park performance was up there with the worst you have ever seen and being there myself I would have to agree.

So how can a player who many on here rate as one of the worlds best at his peak, drop to producing one of "the worst performances I've ever seen in top level football"??? At the age of 30??? or even 29 at the time. Granted players who rely on physical attributes decline quickly. However, I have never seen a top level footballer go from Europe's elite to consistently putting in one of "the worst performances I've ever seen in top level football" without something else effecting him.
I think motivation may be a factor too. Same environment for 13 years, with little to no competition can't be too healthy. Add in the fact that you have already won everything, and are paid extremely handsome for it. I think the fire will probably go as things get repetitive. Rooney can never be as good as he was at 24 again, but I have a feeling a different environment and challenge could bring about an improvement. His status must be a hindrance too. He will know that he has been picked again and again after some of his worst performances. Not saying that he doesn't try anymore, but surely there's a bit of a mental block.

RedStarUnited

Just imagine if he keeps scoring every match and the team keeps winning. This place will go into meltdown.
Id still want him sold end of the season. In 2013 people thought we had a great team cos of the title win when in reality RVP was the game changer.

Rooney does not press well. If I had the time, I could sit down and show you atleast 10 examples of him not pressing well. He does this stance like he is about to press as if trying to read the pass but thats all he does. And then when the ball is passed he gestures for another player to go and chase it.

Old man Ibra presses better than him for god sake.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What a weird conclusion. I am pretty sure everyone would be happy with that.

Ole90+3

Mourinho will realise that there are better options in the squad than Rooney in both midfield and up front and he will eventually be dropped, I'm pretty certain of it.

Mourinho isn't going to sacrifice points to keep a player happy, even if that player is a big presence and hold influence in the dressing room. He'll be sold if he disrupts the camp.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There is a simple reason why he is so unpopular amongst United fans. He's the only player in world of football who plays because of his status rather than contribution on the field. He's holding us back big time.

SirScholes

He'll still be hated and everyone will still say he played shit even tho he really didn't, getting very boring now

SirScholes

There is a simple reason why he is so unpopular amongst United fans. He's the only player in world of football who plays because of his status rather than contribution on the field. He's holding us back big time.
Do you truly believe that 4 managers one being Jose are doing that?

itso 7

Do you truly believe that 4 managers one being Jose are doing that?
Tbf his form was good and acceptable up until his new contract though the decline was in itd initial stages. So Fergie in.particular didn't have much cause to drop him because his output was good. We all know that Moyes and Van Gaal were idiots..

Status
Not open for further replies.