g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How will City fare when Pep leaves?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does anyone think he might leave if they do the treble? I know he signed recently to stay on but I doubt he'd have expected they'd actually do it.

Skills

Snitch
Does anyone think he might leave if they do the treble? I know he signed recently to stay on but I doubt he'd have expected they'd actually do it.
Don't think so. He's earning a feckton of money (a lot of it behind the scenes), and I don't think it's a straining job like say the Barcelona one which burnt him out.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think he'll go at the end of next season no matter what happens over the next few weeks and take on an international job for the 2026 world cup

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Will it be similar to us and SAF or is that wishful thinking?
Its wishful thinking. What killed us post Fergie was we decimated the structure that enabled his success. From the board room to recruitment to coaching. City instead have built an off field structure that can harness any apex coaching talent to their full capability. As long as they stick to the same path. They won't wobble much even after him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They were winning leagues before he came.
They were but not at the relentless pace they do now. 12/13 was a very poor defence of the title and they were a fair way off in 14/15 aswell.

They'll drop down from 90 + seasons and be more in 75-80 point range imo.

Oranges038

Even if Pep goes. They'll still be there or thereabouts every year.

Hopefully KDB pisses off soon, he's the one that they'll really struggle without.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
They were but not at the relentless pace they do now. 12/13 was a very poor defence of the title and they were a fair way off in 14/15 aswell.

Mancini and Pellegrini reached 89 and 86 points a decade ago and now they have an even deeper squad in terms of quality and much more experience as a top club as 15 years have passed since take over. They will reach much more than 75-80 points most seasons regardless of the manager (I am assuming the manager will be at least decent to good).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mancini and Pellegrini reached 89 and 86 points a decade ago and now they have an even deeper squad in terms of quality and much more experience as a top club as 15 years have passed since take over. They will reach much more than 75-80 points most seasons regardless of the manager (I am assuming the manager will be at least decent to good).
They got 78 points in 12/13 which is more what I meant. Their first title for decades and there was huge mental drop off despite all of Kompany, Silva, Yaya, Aguero all being at their peaks in those years, should never have given Fergie such an easy last title especially given the average age of the Man. United side that season.

14/15 under Pellegrini was 79 points so Chelsea got into a significant lead early on and Man. City just couldn't get near them.

They're relentless under Pep. People seem to think getting to 90 + points in a league season is easy for some reason. Look at the stick Arsenal are getting and they could still end on 87 points which remains a fantastic points haul, just not good enough to take down a Guardiola Man. City. It's only three fewer points than the Arsenal Invincibles finished on and they'd wrapped up the league by early April so that's the different standards Guardiola achieves, same with some of the points hauls he used to get in Bundesliga.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They'll still be a top team, just be a lot less consistent - Pep's one of the greatest managers of all time, you can't just replicate that.

J2J

They will regress but still do fine, any decent manager will still get them to 80+ points even if they have an average season.

Josh 76

He will want to retain the CL. That’s what these types of people crave.

Shinjch

They won't be anywhere near as good or consistent. But their wealth means they will always be competitive.

Dannn411

They'll be fine because as great as Pep is, that's not the real reason they are at the top of European football. It is what is behind Pep and as long as that money tap remains on they will continue to be near the top of Europe.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pellegrini and Mamcini had one league title each and Mancini won his by the skin of his teeth. Pep is closing in on 5 in 6 years. There is every reason to believe that City will not be anything like as dominant as they are now when Pep leaves.
They were still in their title winning infancy back then though. They might not be as good but they'll be fine without him, unless they hire Moyes.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They will be fine. They are very well managed.

I said it a while ago and it seems to be closer to coming into life with every passing year but I fully expect City to eclipse our total league titles tally and CL wins before we win another major trophy. They will be on 9 league titles and 1 CL win after this season. Probably going to take 16-18 years to get to 20 titles but they may get to 3 CL wins within the next decade quite realistically. Maybe much sooner even.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
They got 78 points in 12/13 which is more what I meant. Their first title for decades and there was huge mental drop off despite all of Kompany, Silva, Yaya, Aguero all being at their peaks in those years, should never have given Fergie such an easy last title especially given the average age of the Man. United side that season.

14/15 under Pellegrini was 79 points so Chelsea got into a significant lead early on and Man. City just couldn't get near them.

They're relentless under Pep. People seem to think getting to 90 + points in a league season is easy for some reason. Look at the stick Arsenal are getting and they could still end on 87 points which remains a fantastic points haul, just not good enough to take down a Guardiola Man. City. It's only three fewer points than the Arsenal Invincibles finished on and they'd wrapped up the league by early April so that's the different standards Guardiola achieves, same with some of the points hauls he used to get in Bundesliga.
Well yes that’s why they‘d drop to 1 league title every 2-3 years without Pep instead of 5 in 7 years. Mancini‘s and Pellegrini‘s title defence were bad, but their title wins were good. Similar to Klopp. He has great league seasons followed by average or even poor ones. His title defence was also bad.

And in 2011/12 with Mancini fighting for their first league title in decades against Fergie’s United was already huge, physically and mentally very demanding. A good title defence (even against an aging and not that good United team) was too much for Mancini and City back then.

Loon

:lol:
They’ll have a different landscape to play in once other richer clubs start flexing muscle, they won’t get it all their own way, plus the next manager will be under pressure to continue what Guardiola has done.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They aren't going to regress badly as they are just too well run to.

What we should all be happy with is if they revert back to 80+ point seasons instead of 90+ point seasons, as that least gives others a more realistic chance of competing a bit more regularly.

b82REZ

They were also a complete meme club in Europe and nowhere near as dominant.

They will definitely decline once Pep leaves. Issue is, he might not leave for a good while.
As were we for large periods under Fergie.

European competitions aren't easy and require a bit of luck. Using that as a yard stick to dismiss them just looks like sour grapes.

I don't think he'll stick around much longer when he wins the CL. It clearly bothers him that his European legacy isn't as strong and I expect, like at Barca, he'll want to win it a couple of times and then take a break.

Their structure should mean Pep's eventual resignation is dealt with far better than we did when Fergie retired. That isn't a guarantee of anything but I can't see them bouncing from unsuitable manager to unsuitable manager.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s never going to leave, there is no better club for him, and he’s obsessed with football so he’s not just going to suddenly retire.
Aye but he's not gonna be alive for another hundred years is he?

Raw

They'll still be up there but they won't be as dominant. They're not going to get a manager who can massively improve players like Pep has done. I mean who the feck out there is gonna do black magic on the level of turning Stones into a top midfielder :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They aren't going to regress badly as they are just too well run to.

What we should all be happy with is if they revert back to 80+ point seasons instead of 90+ point seasons, as that least gives others a more realistic chance of competing a bit more regularly.
They're only well run because of him though, he papers over the cracks. City have the best PR game in the business and it works a treat. We've seen exactly what they're like without him.

ScholesyTheWise

He's not leaving anytime soon; he'll never get a more comfortable template to establish himself as the best of the best, in a historical sense.
[hopefully, they get smashed in the courtroom and he gets fecked]

Plus, they're not run by complete idiots.
Assuming the backroom stuff he brought with him / that City has recruited to complement his work won't necessarily leave with him,
when he does leave, they should be fine, as in, still at the top and not experiencing a catastrophic downfall.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think they will get worse as a result. I believe this is the best City can be.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
They were still in their title winning infancy back then though. They might not be as good but they'll be fine without him, unless they hire Moyes.
I see your point but I don't know. Mansour took over fully in 2008. Takes a while to get going, I get that. First title was in 2012. Second was in 2014. All in all they had 2 titles in about 8 years before Pep took over. Pep will have 5 in 7 years at the club. Basically, the only times he hasn't won are his first season and the Covid year when Liverpool started like gangbusters. I still think the evidence suggests that they won't be anywhere near as dominant once he leaves. They'll get the best guy they can (unlike United did!) but he won't be as good as Pep most likely.

Dannn411

I actually want him to stay because unlike you guys who think it will get easier, I think this is the part where it gets trickier. The core of the team is getting on in age and need to be replaced. KDB, Gundo, Mahrez, Kyle Walker are all over 32 and those are rare players that aren't available everywhere. Plus the others are bound to improve. Arsenal look like they are back on track to contend regularly and they will only get better. United are on the way back and are about to be debt free, Chelsea will be miles better and Liverpool have finally recognised that they need to rebuild this summer. Plus there is the little matter of Newcastle who have an even richer state behind them and are about to enter the CL.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They're only well run because of him though, he papers over the cracks. City have the best PR game in the business and it works a treat. We've seen exactly what they're like without him.
They won their first title in 2012. Since then...

2013 - 2nd
2014 - 1st
2015 - 2nd
2016 - 4th

So before him they were still a very good team, with guys like Kompany, Yaya Toure, Aguero, Silva etc. Would be wrong to dismiss that.

Pep has made them more machine like in getting to those 90+ points far more regular. That's the thing where the rest fall down. Will be more competitive if they lose 10 pts from their season totals, and might give the rest of the teams more belief as well. Pep's teams have that aura that Utd had where most teams are actually beat before a ball is kicked.

Manncunian

I think he'll go at the end of next season no matter what happens over the next few weeks and take on an international job for the 2026 world cup
Why would he do this? He’s got everything he could ever want at city.

I don’t see him leaving city before 2030 personally.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Depends who they replace him with, if his coaches leave with him. Then who they replace him with and the standard of that managers coaching staff. There will be some sort of plan in place you would think.

lsd

The Oracle
He will never leave, not in our lifetime anyway

jm99

I think the issue is he's burned through the top 3 leagues relatively quickly in his career. He's a Barcelona legend (I would assume) and won't join real or go back to Barca, Italian teams don't have the kind of resources he wants as a manager, he won't go back to bayern, he won't join another Premier league side, so it leaves psg (where his biggest strengths, domestic competition, doesn't really matter too much) and international sides, which again don't really offer the ability to build a side the way he likes to.

I think he won't leave city for quite a while because there aren't many more options for him unless he's planning an early retirement

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
These FFP charges aren’t going away people. I worry that the league will be massively tainted and we’ll see a decline even greater than Italian football in the mid 2000s. It’s so obvious what City are up to, this relatively small club with probably the two best XIs in the world forming their squad. Pep should leave this year if he wins the treble.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I actually want him to stay because unlike you guys who think it will get easier, I think this is the part where it gets trickier. The core of the team is getting on in age and need to be replaced. KDB, Gundo, Mahrez, Kyle Walker are all over 32 and those are rare players that aren't available everywhere. Plus the others are bound to improve. Arsenal look like they are back on track to contend regularly and they will only get better. United are on the way back and are about to be debt free, Chelsea will be miles better and Liverpool have finally recognised that they need to rebuild this summer. Plus there is the little matter of Newcastle who have an even richer state behind them and are about to enter the CL.
There will defo be some change at City, can add the likes of Bernardo Silva and Laporte that are looking to leave as well. However, with most other clubs i'd expect a spiral in this case. But i just think that they seem to cope because their planning is very good as well. Walker and Mahrez already aren't automatic first choice picks any more. If they sell Laporte, they'll likey move for Gvardiol. They wanted Bellingham to replace Gundogan, if they don't get him they could go for Kovacic or Mac Allister. They have Foden who has barely been starting recently as well.

Marwood

Every big club should do better than we did after losing a top manager but that's because we've managed to be make a complete mess of it.

If we continue to do so City will keep clearing up after Pep because we're the only club that can consistently compete with them.

Liverpool and Arsenal can't sustain it long term. Klopp has already worked miracles to push them as he has.

Marwood

But they were always going to progress as a project. After winning titles before Pep they've spent huge amounts. Unless a complete numpty was in charge they were always going to become more consistent.

Couple that with us providing no challenge it'd be a complete failure for them not to be favourites every season.