How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Haven't seen Rooney actually sprint with a bit pace for awhile. He made a nice little run into the box, was free, and scored a nice header. Good for him, it was a good team goal and a match winner.
Where was that energy when he was here?

Mr Smith

Pleased for him that he scored. Don't know why so many people are continuing to take pleasure in anything he does wrong. Its over, he's gone, we don't need to moan about him anymore.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Did he actually play well then?
Koeman said he was different class on the ball and was particularly appreciative of his decision-making. Great goal and opened up their defence a good few times. Got a lot of touches on the ball too - 75 touches in 90 mins for Rooney vs. 25 touches in 60 mins for his two attacking partners, Sandro and Klaassen.

You make it sound like he did nothing. Even at his lowest point he was still scoring goals no-one else could.

RooneyLegend

So many chants of Rooney! Rooney! Rooney! so much negativity surrounding him on this forum i thought he perhaps had really forgotten how to play football but that's not the case at all. He still can play and to a very high level too. Sure he sometimes takes a poor touch, makes a poor pass or loses the ball easily but one thing that's never been in doubt with him is that when it comes to the final third, he knows how to create chances and score goals. There were moments of quality in that game that haven't been seen in years in an Everton shirt. He wont be scoring many though cause he seems to prefer to be on the ball than attempting to run beyond a defence but he'll create quite a fair bit.

Green_Red

He looks fit, good reactions, touch is there and looks up for it. Reckon this was the perfect move for him. I hope he has a good season.

He was decent last night, but Everton look to be perfect level for him now too. Don't think he's got it in him to be challenging for the title.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Looks leaner and healthier than he has done in ages. Not surprising when so many United fans were not propely valuing or supporting him.

Think he'll do very well this season and sneak Everton into top 6

Wayne's World

Good to see him doing well. We were right to let him go and he was right to move.

I'd like to see him do well since he's a legend here, like it or not.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Looks leaner and healthier than he has done in ages. Not surprising when so many United fans were not propely valuing or supporting him.

Think he'll do very well this season and sneak Everton into top 6
I'm not sure our comments are really the reason he wasn't looking after himself.

DOTA

Not specifically Redcafe but he would have known that many United fans had gone off him. Surely?
I imagine so. I rather doubt he took it so hard it destroyed his fitness, mind.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I imagine so. I rather doubt he took it so hard it destroyed his fitness, mind.
So why lack the motivation? And why suddenly recapture it?

I'm assuming he would have carried on with his previous fitness trajectory had he stayed with us.

DOTA

So why lack the motivation? And why suddenly recapture it?

I'm assuming he would have carried on with his previous fitness trajectory had he stayed with us.
Leaving a club he was failing to reach the standards at. Joining the one he grew up supporting. Start of a new season. Out of the England team in a World Cup year.

If he is more motivated, I find any of those more believable than he didn't look after himself because some United fans didn't like him.

TsuWave

shit player but great header in all fairness, will be back to his scintillating sunday league form sooner than later

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Maybe he's laying off the hair cream and got his mojo back (I'm not entirely joking)

LLMU

Good to him scored and hope he will have a good season ahead. He is probably playing for his place in the World Cup next year. He would not those chance if he is still in Utd.

rtr

Delighted for him. New start is exactly what he needed and I reckon he will bag at least 15 this season.
Many won't agree, but yeah, I can see him scoring about 17 this season. Only if he is a regular starter, though

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
The modern fan is so fickle...Played for United them blue Scousers give him hell and destroyed him at every opportunity. I'm watching the sky highlights game here and thousands are punching the air shouting, 'Rooney, Rooney'...Blah blah he's one of our own......Bunch of tits

KanieKaned

Many won't agree, but yeah, I can see him scoring about 17 this season. Only if he is a regular starter, though
I can't see him starting anything but every game where he is genuinely fit. He still has it in him to influence games by way of goals and assists. The footballing brain is there so its just a case of getting in and around whats happening and on the end of chances. Sure look at today? When was his last headed goal for united? The lads well capable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd be appalled if he smashed it at Everton as it would in some inexplicable way obviously hinder our chances at success. We should remain pure and condemn this at every opportunity.

PieCrust

I was watching that game live and asked myself the same question. When he turned on the jets I almost thought it was another player at first. The desire to get into position was something I haven't seen for 3 years from him.

In the end I hope he can have enough infulence for them to finish above Liverpool.

Oaencha

I don't like the guy as a personality but wish him well at Everton. However, if he (he won't) smashes it at Everton he should be ashamed of himself for his final few years with us. He was picking up close to £300k a week and was taking very poor care of himself. It would be insulting to think he just couldn't give a damn.

Geekie

I think getting Rooney was a great move for Everton considering how many people now suddenly watch their matches because of him. It's premature to say he will smash it there but at least in the last game he seemed class (unfortunately other Everton new signings were a bit underwhelming imo.)

Ashley R1+O

You make it sound like he did nothing. Even at his lowest point he was still scoring goals no-one else could.
His goal reminded me of that first goal in the league against Bournemouth. A trademark ghosted run in from the SS position and a bit of a slippery fanger in from Valencia that fell kindly for Martial to scuff into Rooney. As opposed to that quality ball from Calvert-Lewin. Strikingly similar goal, I think if he plays SS and can get a substantial amount of wide play then he should get a few of those square passes where he has rolled his man and gotten free per game, I thought Evertons delivery from wide areas was light-years better in that game than anything we've seen from us in the last few years.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Didn't watch the game but I think this shows the difference in expectations from Everton and United. That or he really did have a stormer as the Everton fans claim. And if he did it's not going to be regular occurrence.

Fair play to him either way. The celebrations showed it meant a lot to him. Hope he does well as much as i doubt it.

Charlie Foley

Well done Wayne.

Won't be visiting this thread much. From the looks of it it will just be pro or anti Rooney people saying "I told you so" depending on each game throughout the season. Then one person saying "I thought he'd be X but he was Y".

Abizzz

Glad it started out so well for him. His time at united should have ended earlier, but I still like the guy a lot. Felt good seeing him score and celebrate in the fashion he did and I hope he does so many more times for them.

Z_Wolf

Is all this hype because he scored a header or did he have a good game overall? Can someone shed a light?

I want Wayne to do well but it's far fetched me thinks.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Is all this hype because he scored a header or did he have a good game overall? Can someone shed a light?

I want Wayne to do well but it's far fetched me thinks.
From the Everton forum :

By pushing DCL upfront, it made Stoke panic, and they stuck an extra man on him. Rooney, as a result, was able to push a little deeper, and control the game. I was skeptical about the Rooney return, and he didn't impress me much in pre-season, nor in either of the Europa League games, but today he was phenomenal in the second half.

As for the goal, well take absolutely no credit away from him. What a brilliant finish. That much power, and to get it away from the keeper, you can't teach that, it's just sheer.

Welcome back Wayne.
he had a decent game, and you can clearly see his footballing brain is a class above what we are used to.....we will do well if his body holds out for enough games for us to take advantage of it. (ive maintained all along that I think he will contribute to a decent level while with us)
Physically he isn't what he was. He doesn't have the pace. But his brain, wow, a cut above any one to play in the blue shirt for a long long time
A class above anyone else on the pitch today. Always looking to make something happen. Rarely wasteful. Pinpoint passing for the most part. Never stopped running.

Great goal.

Welcome home, Wayne.
I've got to say lads this is exactly what I hoped Wayne would do for us at his current age. He seemed to be involved in everything and for me was a standout player today. If we can get this sort of performance or better out of him each week then it's simply up to the the rest of the squad to get to that level.

He also looked decent for the 90 which surprised me.

Well done Wayne, good performance today for the blues..

Never imagined I'd be posting that haha...
His vision is something we have been lacking. Now we just need to get him a top finisher.
And so on. I'd take it with a pinch of salt though. They're understandably a bit excited.

entropy

I love how any discussion about Rooney only goes from one extreme to another. He's only played 'one' freaking game. Both parties need to chill the feck out.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Well done Wayne.

Won't be visiting this thread much. From the looks of it it will just be pro or anti Rooney people saying "I told you so" depending on each game throughout the season. Then one person saying "I thought he'd be X but he was Y".
Was going to post but this more or less says all I wanted to say. Cheers.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The so what is two-fold:
  1. He's already on his way to proving how horribly wrong some people were in saying he wouldn't even get on the pitch for Everton because he's declined so badly
  2. There's a chance he'll be one of their main players in a successful bid to finish above their rivals Liverpool, which would naturally be a great deal for Everton and prove most people wrong on that front
I hope he does well but my so what means I don't particularly care. He wasn't at the races for us so it was time to go.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd be appalled if he smashed it at Everton as it would in some inexplicable way obviously hinder our chances at success. We should remain pure and condemn this at every opportunity.
You're not very good at this. Barring a completely unexpected title challenge from Everton the goals they score are likely to help us, if anything, as they can take points off genuine title rivals without threatening our own place in the league.

It's the same with Hernandez. Different story with Welbeck and Morata. Only weirdos would be pleased if they score a shit-load of goals.

Last edited: