How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

Acole9

Outstanding
It was a very good header. I have no axe to grind with him, I wish him well at Everton but obviously not against us.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only saw the highlights. Good header and great movement to get on the end of the cross. A couple of decent passes too but he's always been capable of those. I'd need to see him play a whole game to see if he really has improved from last season, when the anti-Rooney sentiment was so so intense that even when he put in a decent performance he still got slated.

Amokachi

Everton Fan
He did well second half. His body might be aging but his footballing brain is still there.

He wasn't a class above everyone as Idrissa Gueye was comfortably MOTM.

togg

Only saw the highlights. Good header and great movement to get on the end of the cross. A couple of decent passes too but he's always been capable of those. I'd need to see him play a whole game to see if he really has improved from last season, when the anti-Rooney sentiment was so so intense that even when he put in a decent performance he still got slated.
Yes it's interesting that during last season (as well as the two before but last season was pretty intense) the anti-rooney clan, which seriously felt like the good majority, were vociferous in their often condemnation of him and yet on this thread it's appears to be mostly 'good for him' 'pleased for Rooney', 'happy if he does well'. I for one am perfectly content to see him score on his debut at his boyhood club, I've always been a dedicated fan of his right up to pretty late on last season, but if he has a consistently very good season then I would want to know what the bloody hell happened while he was still here!

Pogue Mahone

Yes it's interesting that during last season (as well as the two before but last season was pretty intense) the anti-rooney clan, which seriously felt like the good majority, were vociferous in their often condemnation of him and yet on this thread it's appears to be mostly 'good for him' 'pleased for Rooney', 'happy if he does well'. I for one am perfectly content to see him score on his debut at his boyhood club, I've always been a dedicated fan of his right up to pretty late on last season, but if he has a consistently very good season then I would want to know what the bloody hell happened while he was still here!
Yeah, same here. I had convinced myself he had another good season or two left him but that confidence deserted me over the course of last season. I would definitely piss me off if he has a fantastic season at Everton now. Always bugs me when we let players go and they up their game at a different club.

Moonred

The part of his game that was least impacted is probably his finishing.

With a bit of confidence in a new team, he could have a decent ish season. Wish he had turned it around at United but in the end it was the correct decision for both.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, same here. I had convinced myself he had another good season or two left him but that confidence deserted me over the course of last season. I would definitely piss me off if he has a fantastic season at Everton now. Always bugs me when we let players go and they up their game at a different club.
Out of interest do you blame the club for failing to motivate that player, the player for failing to motivate themselves or do you think it's maybe unavoidably organic when the player isn't fan of the club? (That's not a slight on him wearing toffee pyjamas, I'm just thinking that maybe it was easier for Scholes, Giggs and co to motivate themselves to play for this club.)

Dobbs

Also known as "the supporters who correctly identified he was no longer good enough for United."

Maybe the posters who incorrectly maintained he was good enough almost to the end(which seems to include yourself) should lay off the "anti Rooney clan" type stuff.

Now he's left United of course we can all relax about it and wish him well. I don't find that interesting really, it's just common sense.

Rory 7

I'm pleased for Wayne, hope it goes well for him. I've always loved him as a player. Really wish he could have stayed here and gotten back to his best. All that said, Stoke are really rubbish, I think they could fight the drop this year.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Don't mind Rooney at all and be great if he score against our rivals so they drop points. Expect him to drop of as the season progresses.

Pogue Mahone

Out of interest do you blame the club for failing to motivate that player, the player for failing to motivate themselves or do you think it's maybe unavoidably organic when the player isn't fan of the club? (That's not a slight on him wearing toffee pyjamas, I'm just thinking that maybe it was easier for Scholes, Giggs and co to motivate themselves to play for this club.)
I guess it's different every time. Either way it sticks in the craw that things could/should have turned out differently.

Dobbs

I guess it's different every time. Either way it sticks in the craw that things could/should have turned out differently.
I don't think we're anywhere near concluding that he was simply underperforming for United. It's just a decent 45 min performance on par with bits and pieces we saw last season.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I was watching that game live and asked myself the same question. When he turned on the jets I almost thought it was another player at first. The desire to get into position was something I haven't seen for 3 years from him.

In the end I hope he can have enough infulence for them to finish above Liverpool.
Embarrassing from him though if he wasn't arsed that much when he was here laterally though. I agree though, that would complete his career nicely. Securing an Everton finish above Liverpool.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
It'll be better than how I feel if Matic magically turns it on for you. At least Everton aren't challenging for the title, you feckers.

f_to_z

If he plays constant first team i am sure he will get 20+ golas this season. He just needs more football to grow his confidence again and to get back his finishing. It was strange but i was really happy when he scored the goal for Everton.

Ash_G

I wouldn't have a problem with him doing well although I think it would be disappointing if he suddenly shows a marked improvement as that would suggest he might not have been trying his best for us in the last few seasons. You'd expect some improvement as he's maybe found some renewed passion though which will likely give him a boost, he's clearly always been a fan of Everton and so that's understandable.

Will have to see how he does over an extended period but it's a good start for him. I think playing at Everton where teams will be slightly more willing to attack them will be good for him as more open games where there's more space suit him. I don't think he get 20 goals personally, just can't see him recovering that much form from recent seasons but I can see him having a decent season and showing that whilst he's not a top player he's also not fallen so far that he can make an impact in the PL as some suggested last year.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think the poll in this thread proved that the critics were just a particularly loud and active minority.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Another thread with people claiming, we're not allowed to see our players do well for others. It's starting to get silly and very narrowminded.
Of course joining a new (old) club Spurs you on to contribute and prove yourself. He'd already proved everything he needed to here and it was the right time to move on.
Hope he has a great season and make Everton a contender for the EL spots.

Peanut Butter

I hope Waz does well but he won't improve as much as some Everton fans think.

His legs have gone.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fair enough...which is why I said 'felt', although I would say in the matchday thread it was rather different!!
I wasn't arguing against you - I think most of us felt that way! There were definitely a lot fewer vocal Rooney supporters than critics. Evidently most supporters couldn't be arsed getting into circular arguments fuelled by agendas and it presented a skewed picture.

Seveneric

The idea that the reason Rooney (an athlete whose body is part of his job) could apparently not be bothered to take care of his body, is partly due to United fans not showing him love or appreciating him enough, really is one of the most fanboyish things I've read on here :lol:

Ainu

I'm delighted for him, even if this one performance doesn't necessarily mean it'll be all rainbows and sunshine for the rest of the season. He scored a match winner on his league debut back where it all began, it must've felt like a dream for him. Despite all the transfer stuff and his last few seasons, I still have a lot of time for Rooney.

Danny Roberts

He was Everton's best player by all accounts (though not saying much). Scored the winner and won the ball to start the move. Obviously one game doesn't prove anything but got to help his confidence and personally I think that was what he'd most lost. That and the first yard of acceleration. He'll never be the same player he was but he can definitely be good enough to help improve Everton, both on and off the pitch.

Reactions: Varun

keener

Bit odd? he's a legend at my club.. and I hope he can reinvent himself. I'd take a tie with Lukaku.. but for individual glory, he can have it. I want us to win the league.

Oooh_aaah_cantona

It is normal for people to put in more effort on the first day (or year) of work. He had a good game, but I don't think he would do the same if he was still in Man Utd.

Green_Red

Looks leaner and healthier than he has done in ages. Not surprising when so many United fans were not propely valuing or supporting him.

Think he'll do very well this season and sneak Everton into top 6
That would be an incredible finish for them. Who do you think will lose out to them? Liverpool?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You're not very good at this. Barring a completely unexpected title challenge from Everton the goals they score are likely to help us, if anything, as they can take points off genuine title rivals without threatening our own place in the league.

It's the same with Hernandez. Different story with Welbeck and Morata. Only weirdos would be pleased if they score a shit-load of goals.
Not really. Everton scoring goals can also hurt given just like our rivals they also be playing us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'll be happy for/fine with Rooney if he does well at Everton. He had a terrific career with us, and while I strongly criticised him in recent years because, well, he was rubbish and given far too much importance, I don't see any reason why I'd want him to fail.

ReallyUSA

He's in shape at the beginning of the season? That's all you need to know about how much he was mailing it in at OT.

Nucks

RT History Department
I hope Waz does well but he won't improve as much as some Everton fans think.

His legs have gone.
What if, he got on TRT and other goodies finally, and suddenly he feels like he's 25 again.

I personally have absolutely nothing against professionals prolonging their careers via hormone replacement. I'm almost certain that's part of the formula that has prolonged the careers of famous athletes in a variety of sports.

Complacency is a hell of a thing, and so is the realization that you're not what you once were. Suddenly he might be taking his off season seriously, and he might be getting on a TRT program.

Mal donaghy

Couldn't give a rats arse about what he performs like for Everton, as long as Manchester United are ok , he can keep wearing his Everton pyjamas, and the world keeps spinning.