Hypothetically, if we actually went for major changes to the squad which players would you desperately like to retain?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Greenwood, De Gea, Varane, Sancho, Lindelof, Fred.

Everyone else can go.

Greck

Why so many answers with players like Rashford and some notorious whiners? I can get indifference but desperate to keep them? The whole point is to get rid of egos, no one should be untouchable or might as well be keeping the squad as is. There are players with better talent to ego ratio than the current lot. I never saw united players get so frustrated with others while themselves having bad games like ronaldo and bruno. The biggest egos with motive to whine to the press also include the first teamers.

allen7

Ronaldo
Cavani
Amad
AWB

are the one I won’t retain.

MUFC OK

I think a bloke who’s on £300k a week who fecks off to Dubai every winter and then let’s us know when he’s fit to come back is pretty much going to cause massive issues behind the scenes. No one else seems to get that perk when they’re injured, and no one else is paid that much to do so either. His team mates have every right to be livid with him and whoever’s allowed that to happen.

We can argue all day long about Pogba being quality but we have to agree he’s hardly done it for United. We’d be better with a midfield of McGinn and Neves for example.
I’d love Mcginn at United. Exactly the type of player we need. But I’m not calling for a world class pogba to go when I’m seeing Mctominay stink the place out for 35 games a season.

Jericho

Sancho, Varane, Greenwood, Bruno. That's about it.

But it honestly it's as if something has been rotten with our players since the Moyes/LVG days, and it's just been spreading to each new player that arrives, and it feels like we need to reset with a completely clean slate.

RedIreland

De Gea.... our POTS so far...... !
Heaton....good enough as backup and wont sulk or press for a move having "come home".

Varane.... shaky start but needs games to get up to speed of play and thought/concentration in the P'Ship
Shaw..... has got it n him but needs a friendly hand around the shoulder now and then..
Lindelof..... suddenly he looks almost the best of our bunch of CB's
Dalot.......he has improved - but still a bit to go...
Jones - sentiment maybe... but let's see what he can do - he deserves another go at it!

Van De Beek..... give him a chance with a few full games!
Bruno...... frustration will go away if he's playing with a motivated team.
McTominay - squad player...... tries hard.....eventhough limited skills.

Ronaldo - scores goals with a weak team - think of what he could do with a proper system and play-maker in team
Cavani - to end of season..... he puts in a shift most games but alarmed at his decisions in the Wolves match.
Greenwood... needs urgent managing or he will be lost or gone from Utd.
Sancho - wait and see! ...but beginning to have my doubts....dread that he's too much of a selfish and non-team player.
Rashford - shocking and looks disinterested at the moment but need something to happen soon or the "local" boy will be lost which would be a tragedy for this club.
Amad - potential only
Elanga - potential only

Pogba/Martial/Telles/Maguire/Fred/Matic/Bailly/AWB/Henderson.
Mata- free transfer for services rendered.
Lingard - not going to do it anymore for us - but he will for somebody else!

That's 11 or so players gone - which means 8-9 in plus a few new youngsters to develop with experience.

There's always a huge temptation to add another 4-5 to the above but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater - some of these guys will come good again.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
First team players to be retained:
1. DDG*
2. Greenwood
3. Sancho
4. Bruno
5. McT (as a good squad player)
6. Varane
7. Lindelof
8. Dalot (as a good squad player)
9. Telles (as a good squad player)
10. Bailly (as a good squad player)
11. Jones (:wenger:)

First team players that will want to leave after this season and should be allowed to leave:
1. Ronaldo
2. Cavani
3. DVB

First team players that are not man utd quality and should be sold:
1. Maguire
2. Fred
3. Rashford
4. Shaw
5. Martial
6. AWB
7. Matic
8. Mata

First team player that should be shown the door now:
1. Pogba

First team player that needs to be physically kicked out of carrington asap:
1. Lingard

==================================================================================

Positions that need to be brought in filled:
1. CF
2. CAM
3. DM
4. LB

And the kids need to be given a chance to show their worth.

*On current form it would be hard to tell him his time is up at utd.

Hawks2008

As far as I'm concerned no one in the squad has earned untouchable status. Wouldnt be sad to see the back of any of them.

GodlovesUnited

Depends on how realistic you want to be.

In an unrealistic world:

De gea
Varane
Lindelof
Shaw
McTominay
Fernandes
Greenwood
Sancho
Rashford

Some of these wouldn’t be in the first eleven, but they could contribute when needed to a winning team. Maybe Bailly, AWB, and DVB if they don’t mind being squad players.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
We can't keep holding in greenwood forever with our current trajectory. Soon the reals and barcas will come calling. So maybe only him. DDG and bruno with some stretch. Provided they both buckle up.

stoinz

Leaving out youth players
DGD, Varane, Magguire, Shaw, MCT, Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood and Ronaldo.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Greenwood
Sancho
Varane
DDG
McTominay
Bruno

I would have put Ronnie and Cavani in there as well but because of their age we should probably get younger ones in instead

The rest of them all can feck off.

Nikelesh Reddy

Apart from the youth that haven't been given chances (Mejbri, Laird, Garner, etc.) I'd say Mason and Bruno. I think I'd not be desperate to retain anyone else. Happy with quite a few more, but not desperate for them to stay and then a host of players I think don't work for various reasons.
The players that I would like to retain-David de gea,Varane,Shaw,Mctominay,Sancho,Rashford,Greenwood and Cristiano(still want to see him stay for the duration of his contract).Apart from these,nobody else…

caid

None of them really. Desperate is a strong term. Theres a few on the verge of it i guess.
De Gea - good pro, good keeper, not ideal for most modern systems but so many bigger fish to fry you'd make do
Varane - hes clearly a good player. Rot hasn't set in yet.
Sancho - as above

McTominay and Lindelof i'd rate as decent squad players and come off as more professional than most, rest i dont particularly care for. Plenty of talented attacking players but too many questions in one way or another.
Think Shaw and Maguire are hit and miss and wouldn't be particularly confident of being reliant on either. They're in the ballpark of make do.
Fred is too erratic
Ronaldo too old, too limited to be desperate to keep. Rashford and Greenwood aren't showing the attitude or mentality to be top tier players.
Bruno i'd want to keep. Theres issues but not related to attitude or workrate which is something you can build on.

Ogaranya

De Gea, Bruno, Varane, Greenwood, Sancho.

The rest should make good use of the door.

BlackBen

I wouldn’t desperately try to retain any of these players but the few I’d like to keep are :
  • Greenwood
  • Sancho
  • Varane
  • De Gea
  • Amad and all the recent academy graduates .
The rest can feck off.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Greenwood
Sancho
Varane
DDG
McTominay
Bruno

I would have put Ronnie and Cavani in there as well but because of their age we should probably get younger ones in instead

The rest of them all can feck off.
McTom? Why?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We can't keep holding in greenwood forever with our current trajectory. Soon the reals and barcas will come calling. So maybe only him. DDG and bruno with some stretch. Provided they both buckle up.
We have a history of handing them huge contracts to tie them down. He will be on Sancho wages soon.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
DDG
Varane
Shaw
Sancho
Greenwood
Diallo
Elanga
Hannibal
Bruno
Cavani

I'd particularly like these players to leave

Grant, Heaton, McShane, Mata and Matic (too old)
AWB (he is shit)
Maguire (he is shit. he is not a leader and thin skinned)
Rashford (he should be working with Feeding Britain not at a football club)
Pogba
Lingard

MartinRed

De Gea
Ronaldo
Greenwood
Bruno
I would give Sancho a few more chances.Probably Shaw too.

Mcking

Henderson
Telles
Varane
Maguire
Fred
Sancho
Rashford
Greenwood

I would like these to stay, but the only ones I'd be desperate to keep per se are Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood.

owlo

Greenwood. Perhaps lindelof and sancho. Wouldn’t be sad to keep varane.

CM

Sancho, Fernandes and Greenwood are the main ones I'd like to stay. Varane and Shaw probably in the category just below that.

Not all of the others are useless though, a proper manager could get a tune out of most of these. Our team dynamic is fundamentally broken and we need someone with the bottle to make the big decisions first, so far Rangnick has been quite disappointing in that regard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford
Greenwood
Bruno
Varane
Shaw
Sancho

Maybe Fred too.

Oranges038

Greenwood
Bruno
Henderson (for now)

Varane and Sancho, only because they are new and haven't been shit for too long so there is hope for them

The rest could piss off and wouldn't be missed.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
bruno
de gea
varane
Greenwood
sancho

Dalot
Lindalof
telles (the last 3 stay because I think they are solid enough back up options)

the rest can feck off ASAP, special mentions to Pogba, rashford, McGuire sooner those wasters go the better.

Ibi Dreams

I cant understand so many people would keep shaw. Hes had 1.5 good seasons in 7. He never looks fully fit and always has a mistake in him.

Hed be one of the first out the door for me.
He has at least shown that he has the quality and ability to play for us, though he does have bad runs of form too. He's one of the best left backs around when playing well, worth giving the benefit of the doubt imo

Von Mistelroum

Desperately? Probably Bruno, Varane and Sancho as I think all of them would fit into the playing style of a top team really well. De Gea is a top keeper too but possibly not ideal for certain teams.

unclefredo

*shrugs*

Greenwood? I fear a little for him though

He's spent his formative years in the worst possible dressing room for a kid.
I'm a bit the same if I'm honest. I think he's one of the most talented youth products we've produced but there's something off about his attitude.

Nordmore

He has at least shown that he has the quality and ability to play for us, though he does have bad runs of form too. He's one of the best left backs around when playing well, worth giving the benefit of the doubt imo
Yeah Shaw has been quite underated by our fans imo. If you watch lot of football you'd know it's not easy nor cheap to find a decent LB these days. Shaw is a pretty solid defender and actually quite good on the ball with his good first touch and passing. And pretty fast and a decent dribbler too. He can deliver a good ball but imo he'd need to be more consistent with his crossing.

Ixion

DDG, Varane, Bruno, Greenwood, Lindelof. Those are the players I think there can be no real complaints over.

Fred, Dalot, Telles, Donny, Baily, Sancho, Cavani would be a sub group of players I'd be happy to keep as squad players but not necessarily starters every week.

Anyone else is fair game and can go.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I don't think some people are getting the idea here. The current crop of players are toxic. They are the whiney self entitled bunch that have shown they are not worthy or nor good enough.

Outside of the youth and fringe players that have never got a chance they can all go.