I bloody love the World Cup

RedDevilRoshi

F*** the prem, this has given us more excitement and drama over the past month. Plus good luck finding a club game better than this final. I’m gutted this has finished.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, there is nothing that can be compared to the World Cup. Not even close, an absolute pinnacle of football/sport.

I will still be happy seeing United back, mind you.

AshRK

F*** the prem, this has given us more excitement and drama over the past month. Plus good luck finding a club game better than this final. I’m gutted this has finished.
People overrate club games.. Last some CL finals have been crap

el3mel

Sucks that now I'll return to Premier League and watch United shit the bed every week. Can we have another international tournament this season ?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Great tournament and one of the best finals - far too much negativity before it started but football won in the end

Spoony

The People's President
Qatari emir has won the lottery(he he). Quality tournament and a brilliant final starring Messi and Mbappe.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Kinda fell out of love with international football, but this WC was incredible.
Outside of the World Cup, International football is a nuisance. If they could end friendlies and the nations league then it would go back to having actual meaning.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
World Cups are generally the best thing about football. Even the shit ones.

Only shame is that the corrupt scumbags behind the organisation of the tournament are probably delighted too. In terms of pure football though, this was great.

VP

Nothing beats football as a sport and nothing beats the world cup as a cultural event.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
World Cups are generally the best thing about football. Even the shit ones.

Only shame is that the corrupt scumbags behind the organisation of the tournament are probably delighted too. In terms of pure football though, this was great.
Unfortunately, there are such men leading every football organization

Spoony

The People's President
Neither are all CLs. A shitty WC still gives you more memories IMHO.

Fair point. But in terms of WCs this one bucks the trend of unmemorable WCs. Also a tournament held over a few weeks will always seem more memorable than a competition held over a season. Well, I think so anyway. But it's been a fantastic WC. I loved watching thousands of fans from North Africa, West Africa, Middle East and other parts of Asia enjoy the tournament. Something that probably wouldn't have been possible in Europe and the Americas.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fair point. But in terms of WCs this one bucks the trend of unmemorable WCs. Also a tournament held over a few weeks will always seem more memorable than a competition held over a season. Well, I think so anyway. But it's been a fantastic WC. I loved watching thousands of fans from North Africa, West Africa, Middle East and other parts of Asia enjoy the tournament. Something that probably wouldn't have been possible in Europe and the Americas.
Good point. I am not looking forward to club football so early after the WC tbh

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Great tournament and one of the best finals - far too much negativity before it started but football won in the end
Which is part of the problem. The fact that it was such a great World Cup that culminated in a memorable final where so many neutrals got what they wanted (the GOAT winning it at last) will long overshadow all the slave labour and human rights abuses that went into it.

BorisManUtd

Great tournament, shame that Brazil couldn't reach semis and play vs Argentina, other than that, I've enjoyed it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which is part of the problem. The fact that it was such a great World Cup that culminated in a memorable final where so many neutrals got what they wanted (the GOAT winning it at last) will long overshadow all the slave labour and human rights abuses that went into it.
I don't see this as a problem - this is the football forum, Im here to celebrate great football

Plenty of other threads to discuss the rest if you so wish

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
All the negativity remains no less justified. It was a stupid location to host a World Cup. Hence the first time ever a World.Cup has had to be held in July.

And that’s without even getting into how the infrastructure needed to host the tournament was built.

But yeah, it was a great spectacle. Although I don’t think the possibility of it not being a great spectacle was ever a reason for any of the negativity?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
All the negativity remains no less justified. It was a stupid location to host a World Cup. Hence the first time ever a World.Cup has had to be held in July.

And that’s without even getting into how the infrastructure needed to host the tournament was built.

But yeah, it was a great spectacle. Although I don’t think the possibility of it not being a great spectacle was ever a reason for any of the negativity?
You obviously didn't read these forums when the WC started - all sorts of nonsense from facilities not being ready to fake fans to no atmosphere, all proven to be bollocks

Plus a very premature thread suggesting it was the worst WC ever and people were still agreeing with that notion even yesterday

Castia

I'm going to miss it

I hated the thought of a winter world cup and the fact I wont see United for a month but it's been excellent.

Zetrio2002

Very entertaining world cup.

First, we see Qatar trying to rule goals out for offside only for Ecuador to beat them. Then Ecuador miss out by losing to Senegal and Senegal to England to France and then to Argentina.

There was also the hair of God moment, just give the world cup to Argentina and then by the law of attraction, the title was really given to Argentina.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The last 3 World Cups have been very good and entertaining overall I thought.

I thought that 2014 was excellent in the group stages with things deteriorating during the knockout stages (notably that horrendous Argentina-Netherlands semi-final), but overall it was a good World Cup and a significant improvement from 2010.

I thought 2018 was excellent. I know some people take points away from it due to the lack of 'heavyweight clashes', but I thought the overall quality was very good and there was still plenty of drama and excitement.

And this last World Cup really took off from the final round of group matches, and culminating in such a thrilling final.

ariveded

Brilliant WC, and will miss it. It's great to watch/talk about this sport with the gf, family. The people who matters the most being there for the occasion.

The WC, there is more context, more connections and more fun.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The last 3 World Cups have been very good and entertaining overall I thought.

I thought that 2014 was excellent in the group stages with things deteriorating during the knockout stages (notably that horrendous Argentina-Netherlands semi-final), but overall it was a good World Cup and a significant improvement from 2010.

I thought 2018 was excellent. I know some people take points away from it due to the lack of 'heavyweight clashes', but I thought the overall quality was very good and there was still plenty of drama and excitement.

And this last World Cup really took off from the final round of group matches, and culminating in such a thrilling final.
I think we're in for a downer in the next world cup, the advertising teams and travel distance should bring down the quality a bit.

2014 goes down a bit in my estimation for how terrible the ko rounds were but this one and 2018 have been brilliant.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
My favourite since ‘98