ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

kiristao

Yeah, what did he say? Immediately after the loss to India, I thought he came across as pretty sporting and magnanimous.
The "Times Of India" (India's top newspaper), has carried quotes from Afridi that he gave to a local Pakistani channel.
"Indians do not have a big and Clean hearts like Muslim's and Pakistani's. In my opinion, If I have to tell the truth, they (the Indian's) will never have hearts like Muslim's and Pakistani's. I dont think they have the large and clean hearts that Allah has given us. It is a very difficult thing for us to live with them (Indians) or to have long term relationship with them. Nothing will come out of the talks. See how many times in the past 60 years we have had friendship and then how many times things have gone bad."

He then goes on to talk about how the Indian media is very negative and how the Pakistani media is 100 times better. He also talks about how another country (doesnt take names but my guess is he is refering to America) is taking advantage of Pakistan & India and doesnt allow the 2 countries to come together.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I just hope his dumb ass talks don't result in anything bad. Bringing religion into any topic will not end well.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'll get the YouTube clip for you soon Sults but its a bit of a joke that he's claiming he's been quoted out of context. There's a video clip with those exact words. It's been repeated by our channels hundreds of times.
So basically it's Gambhir's fault for stirring up things? I don't get it. Gambhir dedicates it to victims of the Mumbai bombings and the whole thing becomes political....wtf!

amolbhatia50k

So basically it's Gambhir's fault for stirring up things? I don't get it. Gambhir dedicates it to victims of the Mumbai bombings and the whole thing becomes political....wtf!
Not sure what you're on about to be honest.

It became political because the governments of the two nations saw it as the perfect opportunity to exercise some diplomacy.

This has nothing to do with that. This is Afridi behaving like a retard, classless one too.

And gambhir has nothing to do with this.

amolbhatia50k

Comments (note the large hearted comment is in not in response to a question about the India media)

Clarification (courtesy newbie)

amolbhatia50k

I remember obsessing over those damn cheat codes!

They were not easy!

There was this one that I still sort of remember that ended with 'Up, B, Up, B, A, Down'.

Anyone remember?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Comments (note the large hearted comment is in not in response to a question about the India media)
Thanks Amol.

That's the comment I have an issue and was completely unwarranted. I thought with the media in overdrive yesterday it would be a lot worse to be honest. I even heard Indian Muslim scholars lambasting Afridi yesterday.

For our English speaking posters - In response to questions asked about the press he goes on to complain about the media in India making big stories out of trivial matters and goes on to blame the media for the two countries relations. In the rest of the interview he answers questions on who to blame for his teams loss with Afridi answering he's not in a habit of blaming individual players for the loss "when we win it's the team, when we lose it's as a team". However, he goes on to say "senior players should have taken more responsibility".

Nothing about Gautam or religion in that interview.

Sultan

No mention of Gambhir from Afridi in that particular interview.

Basically the press stirring the pot.

amolbhatia50k

Thanks Amol.

That's the comment I have an issue and was completely unwarranted. I thought with the media in overdrive yesterday it would be a lot worse to be honest. I even heard Indian Muslim scholars lambasting Afridi yesterday.

For our English speaking posters - In response to questions asked about the press he goes on to complain about the media in India making big stories out of trivial matters and goes on to blame the media for the two countries relations. In the rest of the interview he answers questions on who to blame for his teams loss with Afridi answering he's not in a habit of blaming individual players for the loss "when we win it's the team, when we lose it's as a team". However, he goes on to say "senior players should have taken more responsibility".

Nothing about Gautam or religion in that interview.
The 'Indians don't have big hearts' comment is absolutely ridiculous from any person forget the captain for Pakistan's national team. And he even used the word 'Muslim' which is really sad because someone in that position should never discriminate on that basis.

I don't see what the press has stirred really. If anything we've played it all down.

Also with respect to his comments or his inference about how they greeted us in 2004 (or whatever it was) and how our media was negative in comparison,

1) This was the world cup not some pointless bilateral series.

2) A lot has changed since 2004. I don't need to expand on that, everyone knows.

So to expect the same reaction from us of love is rather silly. The common man of the two countries to be fair from all accounts seem to have gelled well.

Sultan

The 'Indians don't have big hearts' comment is absolutely ridiculous from any person forget the captain for Pakistan's national team. And he even used the word 'Muslim' which is really sad because someone in that position should never discriminate on that basis.

I don't see what the press has stirred really. If anything we've played it all down.

Also with respect to his comments or his inference about how they greeted us in 2004 (or whatever it was) and how our media was negative in comparison,

1) This was the world cup not some pointless bilateral series.

2) A lot has changed since 2004. I don't need to expand on that, everyone knows.

So to expect the same reaction from us of love is rather silly. The common man of the two countries to be fair from all accounts seem to have gelled well.
I've just watched that interview again Amol and there's no reference to the word Muslim. I think, and it's only an assumption on my part (no idea what's in his mind) he's trying to say pretty much what you just said in your post that the common man has good relations and it's the media which is at fault for focusing on matters beyond cricket.

Anyway, issues such as these take away from the teams performance which should be the main focus at this time.

amolbhatia50k

I've just watched that interview again Amol and there's no reference to the word Muslim. I think, and it's only an assumption on my part (no idea what's in his mind) he's trying to say pretty much what you just said in your post that the common man has good relations and it's the media which is at fault for focusing on matters beyond cricket.

Anyway, issues such as these take away from the teams performance which should be the main focus at this time.
My bad, I thought I had heard him say that at some point.

But I disagree with the blame being put on the media. Modern media as it has become in countries that have developed or are developing are of a certain nature and you have to take it for what it is. They will criticize, analyze and blow out of proportion every little thing to get a headline. It's the nature of the business of it now.

That doesn't excuse statements like that one bit. His statement wasn't directed at anyone in particular but rather was about Indians and Pakistanis and is a very poor one.

Anyways on to better and more significant things that insignificant Afridi,

kiristao

I too didnt hear the 'muslim' part in the interview but he clearly states that the Indian's (or atleast the Indian Cricket team players) dont have a good heart like him (or Pakistani's) in general.
I have no issues with him saying stuff about the media. Media is always like that, anywhere in the world.
Infact, the lady taking Afridi's interview is also trying to stir up stuff with comments about how Pakistani players were very calm and friendly and the Indian team was aggresive, which was surely not the case.

Sultan

The "Times Of India" (India's top newspaper), has carried quotes from Afridi that he gave to a local Pakistani channel.
"Indians do not have a big and Clean hearts like Muslim's and Pakistani's. In my opinion, If I have to tell the truth, they (the Indian's) will never have hearts like Muslim's and Pakistani's. I dont think they have the large and clean hearts that Allah has given us. It is a very difficult thing for us to live with them (Indians) or to have long term relationship with them. Nothing will come out of the talks. See how many times in the past 60 years we have had friendship and then how many times things have gone bad."

He then goes on to talk about how the Indian media is very negative and how the Pakistani media is 100 times better. He also talks about how another country (doesnt take names but my guess is he is refering to America) is taking advantage of Pakistan & India and doesnt allow the 2 countries to come together.
Absolutely absurd and false quoting from the Times Of India. Just imagine with the fragility of our relations with Pakistan and our communal issues the press should know better and act more responsibly.

That doesn't excuse statements like that one bit. His statement wasn't directed at anyone in particular but rather was about Indians and Pakistanis and is a very poor one.
Absolutely agreed.

Edit: Having watched the second interview posted by Amol the newspaper has it spot on!

Sultan

This second interview is very retarded from Afridi and deserves every condemnation directed his way.

T.O.I were on the money.

RDCR07

Sangakkara has decided to step down as captain of Sri Lanka in ODI's and he has also given up his T20 captaincy.

haroon

Afridi's current approach to dealing with the media - open mouth and insert foot. Really needs to stay quiet and concentrate on the upcoming WI tour and let India savour their victory, whats happened has happened, just move on.

VP

What an immense victory that was..don't think this team can become an all time great one but the level of intensity in everything during the knockout stages was brilliant. There was almost an United-like inevitability about it.

PSmith, does Sachin in your eyes become the best batsman ever now having won the WC? Even though he made only 18 in the final.. sound logic that.
Yes he does. Whatever people say, greatness in sport is equally about winning the biggest trophies alongside amazing performances, it's the reason why Sachin wouldn't swap 30 centureis for the WC trophy. A match winning performance in the final would've been poetic but his innings in the semi and quarter were crucial.

Saying that, I guess I'm the only one who finds the 'we did this for Sachin' theme in the celebrations a bit cringeworthy. It was almost as if he has a life threatening disease when he's not even retired yet.

zing

Zingle balls
So the difference between Sachin being the greatest ever and not being the greatest ever is Gautham Gambhir's and Dhoni's innings? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I agree with zing, that is just idiotic. Lara would remembered as one of the best batsmen as well, even without a WC. Likes of Viv Richards would have been legends irrespective of WC wins.

RDCR07

Any idea who is going to replace the Gary Kirsten?

Justin Langer? Stephen Fleming? Duncan Fletcher?

Red-Indian

This is incredibly irresponsible of Afridi. The media are going to run with it and this could seriously set things back on the political relation thaw thats slowly beginning if there's serious public reaction

Neutral

BTV
This is why athletes have minders, and PR people...you can't stop the idiots from putting their foot in their mouths.

I can't be bothered looking this up, but the quotes have been verified? I'm not doubting them, seeing as how they supposedly came from a tv channel, just wondering.

Shahid Afridi, how to lose a ton of good will in a matter of hours. Idiot.

Sultan

This is why athletes have minders, and PR people...you can't stop the idiots from putting their foot in their mouths.

I can't be bothered looking this up, but the quotes have been verified? I'm not doubting them, seeing as how they supposedly came from a tv channel, just wondering.

Shahid Afridi, how to lose a ton of good will in a matter of hours. Idiot.
Aye! Being good at cricket does not make them diplomats. Keep your mouths shut you idiots.

The quotes are 100% verified.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
So the difference between Sachin being the greatest ever and not being the greatest ever is Gautham Gambhir's and Dhoni's innings? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
As ridiculous as your pointless discussion?

Give it a rest :D

amolbhatia50k

Yes he does. Whatever people say, greatness in sport is equally about winning the biggest trophies alongside amazing performances, it's the reason why Sachin wouldn't swap 30 centureis for the WC trophy. A match winning performance in the final would've been poetic but his innings in the semi and quarter were crucial.
Not sure I agree with logic but I'm glad you came around to seeing sense eventually :D

Saying that, I guess I'm the only one who finds the 'we did this for Sachin' theme in the celebrations a bit cringeworthy. It was almost as if he has a life threatening disease when he's not even retired yet.
It is a little cringeworthy but more because it sounds as if he was just a passenger on the team and they've gifted it to his doorstep one morning. He was the teams highest run scorer and was a huge reason for us getting into the final in the first place.

I do see the logic, because it's a measure of his inspiration and influence. But yeah, it's not been put in the right words. I liked one tweet I read - Everyones talking about winning the world cup for Sachin. In truth he's winning the world cup for us. And it's so apt because for all this talk, he's been a major reason why he is now a world cup winner.

amolbhatia50k

Man, my children and grandchildren are in for some torture.

I'm going to tell them tales of the great Sachin Tendulkar as often as I feel like and they better obediently listen!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Everyone dedicating it to Sachin seems a bit cringeworthy but then you have to take it into account-

That Kohli was who is 22 probably grew up with Sachin as favourite cricket just everyone his age, Dhoni was 17/18 when Sharjah Sachin sandstorm happened and has confessed to only watch Sachin bat instead of Indian cricket team. Same with likes of Raina, Chawla, Ashwin etc. They may play with Sachin now but some time ago they were just like us, in awe of the great man. As his fans, it is normal for them to dedicate it to him.

amolbhatia50k

Everyone dedicating it to Sachin seems a bit cringeworthy but then you have to take it into account-

That Kohli was who is 22 probably grew up with Sachin as favourite cricket just everyone his age, Dhoni was 17/18 when Sharjah Sachin sandstorm happened and has confessed to only watch Sachin bat instead of Indian cricket team. Same with likes of Raina, Chawla, Ashwin etc. They may play with Sachin now but some time ago they were just like us, in awe of the great man. As his fans, it is normal for them to dedicate it to him.
They were doing their normal shitty interviews of 'people who used to be friends with guy who is now famous' and one of Dhonis friends from when he started playing cricket at a very low level said that he had a bat with MRF on it because Sachin did so and was his idol and hero.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Afridi's cousin brother was also gunned down in kashmir when he was infiltrating with other terrorists.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Afridi's cousin killed in J&K: BSF

The Border Security Force on Friday said a Harkat-ul-Ansar terrorist killed recently in south Kashmir [ Images ] was a cousin of Pakistani cricketer Shahid Afridi [ Images ].

"Saquib, killed in Anantnag on Sunday following a tip-off, turned out to be a relative of Shahid Afridi," BSF Inspector General Vijay Raman said.

He based his claim on certain document found on the slain terrorist and the version of people who knew him.

Saquib hailed from Peshawar, Pakistan, and had been active in Anantnag for about two years, Raman said.

The IG said Saquib used to flaunt his relation with Afridi among the people in Anantnag.

"It is an open secret in Anantnag," he said.

"Initially we did not know whom we were tracking. It was only later when his identity was established by documents that we realised who he was."

rotherham_red

The Border Security Force on Friday said a Harkat-ul-Ansar terrorist killed recently in south Kashmir [ Images ] was a cousin of Pakistani cricketer Shahid Afridi [ Images ].

"Saquib, killed in Anantnag on Sunday following a tip-off, turned out to be a relative of Shahid Afridi," BSF Inspector General Vijay Raman said.

He based his claim on certain document found on the slain terrorist and the version of people who knew him.

Saquib hailed from Peshawar, Pakistan, and had been active in Anantnag for about two years, Raman said.

The IG said Saquib used to flaunt his relation with Afridi among the people in Anantnag.

"Initially we did not know whom we were tracking. It was only later when his identity was established by documents that we realised who he was."

So? What does this have to do with Cricket? Did he ever pick up a piece of willow? Ever field at Silly Mid-On? If not, then I kindly request you to shut the feck up...

Sultan

Was he carrying his passport?

Sultan

So? What does this have to do with Cricket? Did he ever pick up a piece of willow? Ever field at Silly Mid-On? If not, then I kindly request you to shut the feck up...
Vidared as an Indian Muslim has to somehow prove what a massive patriot he is by constantly having a go at Pakistan. He's been banned from the CE forum more times than I care to remember.