ICC T20 World Cup 2021

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seems like Windies are going to be about 20 runs short.

ha_rooney

That catch at the end surely bounced first!!

zing

Zingle balls
CSA have a noted racist as the coach of their team, but kick a guy out for not doing a performative gesture.

QDK is here to play cricket -- I am against racism but I don't think he should be forced to do something he doesn't want to do. There is a difference between being a racist and choosing not to be a part of a movement.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
De kock has not covered himself in glory here. Whatever the current context in SA politics after end of Apartheid, BLM is as relevant for them much more than a lot of other countries.
This won't be a popular opinion but I'm pinning the blame on CSA. Why are they saying in the middle of the tournament that all players have to take a knee? Racism was as much relevant a week ago as it is today. Sort this stuff out before the start of the tournament. Also, what is even the point in forcing all players to take a knee? The gesture loses its meaning if you're being forced to do it.

Chances are he's just fed up by CSA's constant amateurishness and if that’s the case I don’t blame him at all. He is a cricket player first and foremost and has during his career seen one good South African cricketer after another being forced out of the SA setup. They move abroad to play domestic cricket and then end up representing different countries. You don’t fix inequality issues by having a quota system on your national team, in fact that will only add fuel to the fire when it becomes obvious that quota players aren't as good as those that are excluded. National teams should feature the best possible players and that's not the case for SA. If quotas are needed they need to be put in place at grassroots and school level where you can develop a diverse set of players from different backgrounds, not at the elite level where you're expected to pick your best players and expected to win things.

Also, BLM the movement has a dodgy history. There are lots of examples of them promoting racial segregation for example. I can fully understand why people don't want to support BLM the movement. There's a reason why the likes of Premier League very quickly went from taking the knee for BLM to taking the knee for 'no room for racism/injustice'. It's easier to get behind the latter because it isn't a political movement with hidden agendas.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
CSA have a noted racist as the coach of their team, but kick a guy out for not doing a performative gesture.

QDK is here to play cricket -- I am against racism but I don't think he should be forced to do something he doesn't want to do. There is a difference between being a racist and choosing not to be a part of a movement.
Give over it's not complicated is it. Your team mates - and your black team mates find the gesture important. Just do it and get on with playing the Cricket.

QDK is now the one making the performative gesture.

ha_rooney

Another game where the team chasing us going to win (unless SA choke). Seems like 160 has to be the par score but teams struggling to make fast starts batting first.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Another game where the team chasing us going to win (unless SA choke). Seems like 160 has to be the par score but teams struggling to make fast starts batting first.
Yeah, I'm feeling better about this now after the Afghanistan win but batting first does seem tricky.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Give over it's not complicated is it. Your team mates - and your black team mates find the gesture important. Just do it and get on with playing the Cricket.

QDK is now the one making the performative gesture.
Pretty much, what he has shown is that he'd rather not play for his national side than take part in an anti-racism gesture.

Dudu

Oh my. QDK..

So is he not going to take any further part in the WC at all now? (Or even just SA cricket period?)

Dudu

Looking at the scorecard, what the actual feck is 16(35) Simmons.

He should be fined for that. FFS :mad:

Damn. WI on the brink of exit now..

ha_rooney

Pakistan bowling first again. Same tactics with Shaheen key to get early wickets.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I don't rathe this NZ batting line up at all. Really needs Guptill to go big up top.

Dudu

Poor Lockie. This is a catastrophic blow for NZ.

ha_rooney

Looks like they’ve identified Hasan as the one to smash runs off.

ha_rooney

Pakistan holding their catches so far!! Excellent.

Dudu

This pitch doesn't look quite as good to bat on compared to yesterday, or the SL-BD game.

Good start by Pak.

zing

Zingle balls
Pak bowling looks the best one at the World Cup.

ha_rooney

Big wicket of Kane! Just as they were starting to accelerate.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This is why I still really fancy England for this tournament despite our bowling.

We are one of the few batting line ups (potentially only?) that will just continue hitting through the 20 overs.

I've seen India, West India, South Africa and NZ all look tentative looking to 'sensibly' get around 160.

Might not win you many batting first in these conditions. Just a very early observation though, plenty of times for teams to change it up.

ha_rooney

They’re actually holding on to the catches :drool:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Assuming Pakistan chase this fairly comfortably...

NZ v India next Sunday is basically a QF despite beingthe second group game :lol: **

**With the caveat that Afghanistan are capable of beating one of the 'big teams' on their day.

ha_rooney

Very good from the bowlers again. Got wickets at the right time to hold them to a gettable score.

Kiwis will need early wickets. If 2 of the top 3 fall quickly then it could be a tricky chase.

Dudu

So good from Pak's bowlers. Used to seeing Rauf as all pace and not much control. But he seems to be improving. What a spell.

NZ got the batting order all wrong too. Don't know why Neesham was promoted to play spin (??) and Seifert came in way too late.

JohnnyKills

What movement?? It's a 10-second gesture that's about equality. What issue can anyone have?

ha_rooney

Lovely slower ball to get Babar.

zing

Zingle balls
What movement?? It's a 10-second gesture that's about equality. What issue can anyone have?
I have an issue with Indian cricketers kneeling for it because there are hundreds of millions in India who have a bad life, and often worse, than the people the moment stands for. The Indian cricketers have never spoken for anything in public when it comes to a social cause.

Why single this out? Why don’t we quantify everything wrong in the world and kneel for ten seconds each for ten minutes straight?

I have no idea what Quinton de kock’s reasons are but the world isn’t centred around the politics of a few countries. It’s his right to kneel or not to. Unless he’s actively done something discriminatory, I don’t see how forcing a sports man to salute something he doesn’t care for and use that as grounds for exclusion.

Once someone stops doing it, there’s a woke mob ready to bully and pounce from their moral high ground. Social issues are complex and messy, there isn’t a central authority who get to pick and choose what we support.

ha_rooney

What a catch!!! Pakistan making this more difficult than it should be.

ha_rooney

Ugh that’s a big wicket, man in form gone.

Dudu

Huge wicket. Properly game on then now!

Pakistan's middle order exposed with some work left to do.

JohnnyKills

I have an issue with Indian cricketers kneeling for it because there are hundreds of millions in India who have a bad life, and often worse, than the people the moment stands for. The Indian cricketers have never spoken for anything in public when it comes to a social cause.

Why single this out? Why don’t we quantify everything wrong in the world and kneel for ten seconds each for ten minutes straight?

I have no idea what Quinton de kock’s reasons are but the world isn’t centred around the politics of a few countries. It’s his right to kneel or not to. Unless he’s actively done something discriminatory, I don’t see how forcing a sports man to salute something he doesn’t care for and use that as grounds for exclusion.

Once someone stops doing it, there’s a woke mob ready to bully and pounce from their moral high ground. Social issues are complex and messy, there isn’t a central authority who get to pick and choose what we support.
Completely understand what you're saying, you're a good poster and I know you'll have written this with the best intentions.

I just think it's a strange hill to die on. It's a 10-second gesture that involves no effort. Whatever you feel about BLM, the message is the right one.

Just don't see someone can justify making the effort to not support it, really.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Pak making hard work of this! Either they smash their way to victory or they collapse and lose all their wickets for a 100...you never can tell which Pak are going to turn up