ICE are the 21st century Gestapo

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I've seen a tonne of people on Social Media saying that "this is how Nazi Germany started" and "we need to act now because we know where this can lead to if we don't stop it" over the last week or two.

For me, it's counter productive having that attitude. It pushes the idea that what is currently happening is only bad because it's a precursor to something a lot worse. That is an absolutely terrible stance to take. What is currently happening is absolutely abhorrent and it needs to be stopped immediately and those writing the legislation that is not only allowing it to happen but also encouraging it to happen need to be pulled up in front of the Supreme Court and the United Nations Human Rights Council to answer for their actions.

If this was happening in Syria, Iran or Somalia, there would be an investigation and international outcry. It's disgusting.
I don't disagree but the association with Nazi Germany I think is that people knew what was going on. The people it was happening to and the people who stood by and each time the victims said "It's okay, it's not too bad, we can survive - we can live with this" as first their livelihoods were destroyed, as people were beaten in the streets, as they were forced to work in camps etc. The Observers when they started saying "Well it's a necessary evil, the people will be alright" at each stage and on etc. I think the trouble is that a large number of people in the States will lie to themselves just as badly.

Edit. We know it is bad now, horrific but it can, might, will get a lot worse.

Un4givableB

Law enforcement agencies in America is aggressive, racist and violent but hardly the Gestapo.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
There is literally a tv show of them doing it in the uk. Border patrol uk or some shit it's called. One episode I saw was just them going up to black people at train stations and asking them for papers. It showed them catching several illegal immigrants from Africa.

I was a bit baffled by it as they were just seemingly randomly targeting black people and not like they were following tips.
I had no idea these feckers were out there.

Perhaps if I was black I'd have bumped jnto them by now.

Or maybe I need to watch more trash tv.

Joking aside I'm deeply uncomfortable with the way they engage with people.

Nucks

RT History Department
It's not a very good comparison.

ICE to the Gestapo, is like a dozen to 11 million give or take a million.

Using it to describe ICE cheapens the word. What do you describe the next police states secret police that round up and kill 11 million domestic and foreign civilians?

InfiniteBoredom

It's not a very good comparison.

ICE to the Gestapo, is like a dozen to 11 million give or take a million.

Using it to describe ICE cheapens the word. What do you describe the next police states secret police that round up and kill 11 million domestic and foreign civilians?
Brownshirts then?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah: Seedy Rohm.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Surely this can't continue now that the public is becoming aware of it. The more info that comes out the more unreal it sounds :(

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The US public has been complicit in a lot worse over the years. I don’t have much faith in us at this point.
No better time than the present then.
I'm going to write a letter. Might not do anything but some of these stories are just crazy to me. Shouldn't be happening in modern countries in 2018.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Colleagues at a government-contracted shelter in Arizona had a specific request for Antar Davidson when three Brazilian migrant children arrived: “Tell them they can’t hug.”

Davidson, 32, is of Brazilian descent and speaks Portuguese. He said the siblings — ages 16, 10 and 6 — were distraught after being separated from their parents at the border. The children were “huddled together, tears streaming down their faces,” he said.

Officials had told them their parents were “lost,” which they interpreted to mean dead. Davidson said he told the children he didn’t know where their parents were, but that they had to be strong.

“The 16-year-old, he looks at me and says, ‘How?’” Davidson said. As he watched the youth cry, he thought, “This is not healthy.”

Carolina Red

Staff
Anybody else ever heard the kids song, “Jesus loves the little children”?

“Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red and yellow, black and white
They are precious in his sight
Jesus loves the little children
Of the world.”

The GOP may need to add an asterisk in there or something so it still je-ha’s with their biblical defense strategy. Kids might start getting confused.

Charles Miller

They have the power to oppress the poor and the weak now, and export the cult of the money around the world, destroying the hopes of many millions, but maybe someday their own people will look for hospitality in foreign lands.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The US public has been complicit in a lot worse over the years. I don’t have much faith in us at this point.
What do you reckon is a lot worse than this? Genuinely interested. This is pretty horrifying.

InfiniteBoredom

What do you reckon is a lot worse than this? Genuinely interested. This is pretty horrifying.
Off the top of my head

The forced extraction of Native Americans under Andrew Jackson (Trail of Tears)

The rejection of Jewish refugees before/during WWII

The forced internment camp for Japanese Americans during WWII

That lark called the Jim Crow laws/segregation in the US South.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Off the top of my head

The forced extraction of Native Americans under Andrew Jackson (Trail of Tears)

The rejection of Jewish refugees before/during WWII

The forced internment camp for Japanese Americans during WWII

That lark called the Jim Crow laws/segregation in the US South.
Actually the response (in terms of anger/disapproval) in the US has been surprisingly widespread.
Was there a reaction like this wrt Narau*? Or has it always been hushed over? Because from articles I think that is roughly as bad as what the US is doing.

*Nauru, i can't spell apparently

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Actually the response (in terms of anger/disapproval) in the US has been surprisingly widespread.
Was there a reaction like this wrt Narau*? Or has it always been hushed over? Because from articles I think that is roughly as bad as what the US is doing.

*Nauru, i can't spell apparently
There was a show called 'Go Back To Where You Came From' by SBS here iirc when 'boat people' was a thing still cared about by the Oz public. Ever since, it was out of sight out of mind pretty much.

The government here have been very successful in brainwashing the public about the need for security and danger to the ecosystem regarding refugees and asylum seekers.