Ideas For Fantasy Draft Match Threads (New Ways Of Playing Out Matches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skizzo

@Skizzo sorry I have missed the discussion. Quick summary of the draft?
It will be a sheep draft. Criteria posted at the beginning of each new round. Time frame to be tentatively put at 24 hours to PM your pick each round. Regular sheep draft rules regarding shared picks etc.

As for the "sheep" players. How would people feel about them having players who are still somewhat useful? Or do the managers prefer to have them be low, low standard players? Seems to be a double handicap to have someone else pick your player for you, AND have them be complete toss. I'm fine either way though, since I'm not playing in it :D

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Sorry mate, would love to but I'm way too busy these days. I may even have to ask for a ban if I don't get more disciplined with my caf time.

antohan

Have you thought about using power cards? Some of the random ideas I had in mind when thinking about doing a sheep-style draft:

1) Block card: in any one round, block one player from being picked, not a perma-block, just for that one round for tactical reasons or just being an asshole. Single use card.

2) Player snatch round: around round 5 or 6. Similar to Tevezbola, but instead of going AWOL the player joins your team. Each manager can put a BG on one of their players deemed crucial, the rest are up for grabs. If more than one player tries to snatch the same player, they block each other and he stays with his team (although still vulnerable in R2 and R3, nobody is told who the player in question is). No manager can lose more than one player, if more than one is targeted the one with the earliest bid/PM goes through.

3) At specified times during the draft, have quizzes/puzzles posted, first correct answer gets a reward. E.g. the crystal ball (one off use) which allows you to see what everyone else has picked before making your choice in any one normal round (not the blocked players one, that would be too much). Or the nuclear-strike card, which allows you to pick any player from another team and trade him for the one you wound up with in the same round (only awarded after player-snatch round so blocks defined for it have precedence, i.e. the card may be wasted if you get too greedy). Balu won't like this feature.

4) The spirit-link: all managers get the chance to secretly determine one partnership which CANNOT be formed, any attempt to combine the two players results in a block.

5) Auction-sheep combo: giving managers a budget so that they can enter bids along with their player of choice, if the player gets blocked the manager who placed the highest bid gets him. This doesn't apply in the player-snatch round. The money gets spent whether the player was contested or not, i.e. you can get all your players for free but use your budget on one that is way too important to miss out on. If both managers placed the same bid they both lose the money but don't get the player (just for mind-game effect, it's unlikely to happen, but if it does it would be hilarious).

6) Putting a limit on nationalities (2 or 3 per country) but having a sheep round for "additional player from nation". Same rules apply, if 5 try Brazil they all get blocked, while @Chesterlestreet laughs all the way to the bank with his additional slot for Albanians.

That's what I remember off the top of my head. Watching how some of the drafts went at the time and the epic meltdowns over nothing I opted out of running it, but there's some fun to be had. If anything, to shake things up a bit.

Mani

Thanks for the invite skizzo, but I don't think I would have enough time for this as I would be traveling a lot.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Have you thought about using power cards? Some of the random ideas I had in mind when thinking about doing a sheep-style draft:

1) Block card: in any one round, block one player from being picked, not a perma-block, just for that one round for tactical reasons or just being an asshole. Single use card.

2) Player snatch round: around round 5 or 6. Similar to Tevezbola, but instead of going AWOL the player joins your team. Each manager can put a BG on one of their players deemed crucial, the rest are up for grabs. If more than one player tries to snatch the same player, they block each other and he stays with his team (although still vulnerable in R2 and R3, nobody is told who the player in question is). No manager can lose more than one player, if more than one is targeted the one with the earliest bid/PM goes through.

3) At specified times during the draft, have quizzes/puzzles posted, first correct answer gets a reward. E.g. the crystal ball (one off use) which allows you to see what everyone else has picked before making your choice in any one normal round (not the blocked players one, that would be too much). Or the nuclear-strike card, which allows you to pick any player from another team and trade him for the one you wound up with in the same round (only awarded after player-snatch round so blocks defined for it have precedence, i.e. the card may be wasted if you get too greedy). Balu won't like this feature.

4) The spirit-link: all managers get the chance to secretly determine one partnership which CANNOT be formed, any attempt to combine the two players results in a block.

5) Auction-sheep combo: giving managers a budget so that they can enter bids along with their player of choice, if the player gets blocked the manager who placed the highest bid gets him. This doesn't apply in the player-snatch round. The money gets spent whether the player was contested or not, i.e. you can get all your players for free but use your budget on one that is way too important to miss out on. If both managers placed the same bid they both lose the money but don't get the player (just for mind-game effect, it's unlikely to happen, but if it does it would be hilarious).

6) Putting a limit on nationalities (2 or 3 per country) but having a sheep round for "additional player from nation". Same rules apply, if 5 try Brazil they all get blocked, while @Chesterlestreet laughs all the way to the bank with his additional slot for Albanians.

That's what I remember off the top of my head. Watching how some of the drafts went at the time and the epic meltdowns over nothing I opted out of running it, but there's some fun to be had. If anything, to shake things up a bit.
Something like this should definitely be tried out at some point. It needs the right kind of draft master, though - it is bound to end in tears and meltdowns if it's not ruled by an iron fist.

I'd like to see some Tevezbola (or for that matter powercard) features added to the actual matches too - i.e. the possibility of having a man out injured during the match and the like.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Skizzo Thanks for asking, mate - but I'll be busy (or should be busy, at least) in January. Plus I'd like a break from the crazy world of drafting - wouldn't want to go into it half-arsed. I'll follow the thing, though, of course - and wish you the best of luck putting it together.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I like puzzles, I just suck at solving them. I'm all for this feature, especially when I'm not playing ;).

Skizzo

1. Annahnomoss
2. Stobzilla
3. Edgar Allan Pillow
4. Cutch
5. Raees
6. Joga Bonito
7. Harms
8. Sajeev
9. MJJ
10. VivaJanuzaj

I'll be looking over one of the suggestions @antohan posted above. One of them in particular since I'll enjoy the heartbreak it causes. Most of them I'll probably leave alone since:

1. Anto should get to use them himself.
2. I couldn't wrap my little mind around then anyway :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

1) Block Card - Not sure in early stages, but in Semi's and Finals, it will be very effective if used properly.
2) Player Snatch Round - Tevezobola should be made mandatory in all drafts. Straight upgrades with little change in formation/tactics are far less fun imo.
3) Quiz - Not sure as due to time difference (or being busy etc), this would be a very hit/miss thing.
4) Spirit Link - Very subjective. I can pick Maldini-Nesta or Rummenigge-Breitner, but not play them as a pair. Why should that be a block whilst picking players? Needs more refinement, I would think.
5) First thing comes to mind is, Meat good, Jam good, Custard good...how can this be not good? Not saying it won't work or will be boring, but my personal preference is to keep them separate.
6) Agreed. But the definition should be crystal clear!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Skizzo

Since this is the idea thread and all - and since I'm feeling garrulous and bored - I'll add this:

I think the key features to running a top draft are these:

1. Think the whole thing through very thoroughly before starting it. Don't rush it in any way. Make sure you have X managers on board who are ready and willing - put out a "we're getting ready to roll" warning and have people respond to it before starting the draft. Weed out anyone who ain't really committed and replace them with reliable players. Use your authority in that regard - it's your draft, if people don't respond to your polite hellos, feel free to feck them over and replace them with people who do respond.

2. Start the thing with a cracking, bulletproof OP: Again, think the whole thing through, correspond with old and wise souls before launching it, make sure there is nothing ambiguous in the rules - and stick to them.

3. Be present as much as you can. Keep a watchful eye on the proceedings. If there's any doubt along the way, as there will be, get on the ball quickly - settle any doubts and/or arguments quickly and use a mixture of common sense (if you've fecked up in one way or another yourself by being ambiguous) and ice cold authority (if the rules stated in the OP have been violated).

4. Do not allow the "I'm waiting on the manager/my AM" as a proper excuse for arsing about. If someone opts for an assistant manager, this is their business and nobody else's. It should not give anyone any leeway in terms of delaying proceedings - quite to the contrary. Don't tolerate any bollocks from anyone regarding this.

antohan

1) Block Card - Not sure in early stages, but in Semi's and Finals, it will be very effective if used properly.
True, question is whether you can hold your nerve. The bluff/double-bluff mindgames surrounding reinforcement blocks would be awesome.

2) Player Snatch Round - Tevezobola should be made mandatory in all drafts. Straight upgrades with little change in formation/tactics are far less fun imo.
I think you missed the key point: you can take a player of a rival and bring him to your team, how can that possibly not be fun? Whether it affects tactics or not depends on the player in question.

3) Quiz - Not sure as due to time difference (or being busy etc), this would be a very hit/miss thing.
There's always times that we can all coincide. You could have argued the same about the bid increments changing in the last draft yet no one seemed to be particularly affected by it.

4) Spirit Link - Very subjective. I can pick Maldini-Nesta or Rummenigge-Breitner, but not play them as a pair. Why should that be a block whilst picking players? Needs more refinement, I would think.
The point is you can't and indeed, it is subjective and some will use it well and some won't and some will just make up ridiculous links just to stop X having Y. e.g. spirit-link the keeper to Maradona so if you want Maradona you need to get a new keeper (of course, it would have to be a rule that you can cut players off your squad, you know, as IRL), and you only find this out when trying to pick Maradona. A bit like finding out X doesn't get on with Y on FM, only you do straight after splashing 100M on Y. It's the Forrest Gump draft, basically, a box of chocolates and you never know what you are going to get.

5) First thing comes to mind is, Meat good, Jam good, Custard good...how can this be not good? Not saying it won't work or will be boring, but my personal preference is to keep them separate.
Unsurprising since it was destined to be called the Bamboozle draft. Random rules that don't make any sense but keep things interesting. I can see many brains exploding trying to determine the optimal bid, then finding you missed out on X for 3M quid of Monopoly money. Yet sometimes just a single million would do if the other manager hasn't bid... imagine wasting your entire 100M allowance on securing a player only to find an 18M bid would have done the trick...

6) Agreed. But the definition should be crystal clear!
Absolutely, nationality rules are tricky. I think the standard should be what I used in the All-time draft, clear as day and all bases covered.

Skizzo

Good points you've raised. .. and I appreciate the discussions to help narrow down the rules and such. I'll write up an intro post in the next few days, and will hopefully fill the last few manager spots in time to start after the new year.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What I saw was a little different. It saw the defense/midfield/attack rated as units, which kind of eliminated the name power a little bit. I'm ok with this, but I hate getting into a match with say antohan or EAP, because it will be lots of bullshit. They are good at it and enjoy it - fair play to them.. I simply don't.
I had a - very vague - idea at one point which involved, sort of, a combination of the two formats: You draft a team which is then given a certain amount of points (awarded by voters or an "expert panel" or a combination of both) based on the quality of the players and the strength of the team parts (defence, midfield, attack).

You then take your points into the match where they become a handicap of sorts, meaning a default number of virtual "votes" which are added to the actual votes people submit (hopefully based on how well suited your tactics are to the opponent and how well you argue your case in the match thread).

The problem with any idea of this sort, though, is that it stands in danger of becoming too bloody elaborate. If something of the sort could be worked out within reason - where it wouldn't suck the fun out of the thing - I would be all for it.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sorry wrong Joga ffs!

@Joga Bonito
Oh it looks like you've misunderstood me, I was just saying we should discuss about the vote rule before the start of the next draft. I don't have anything, sorry.

Although if I were to suggest something, I'd suggest a South American-Eastern European draft with fairly heavy limitations. When I was discussing with Raees about Dzajic, it just occured (not exactly a revelation but you get my point) to me that, we rate most of these players from certain countries and South America, heavily/solely based on just their performances in the WC or/and European Cup.

It just seemed unfair. You have certain players like Varela, Masopust and F.Albert whom you rate fairly highly for their WC performances, whilst not knowing too much about their club performances. On the other hand, it just seems overly unfair on certain legends, such as Spencer, Pedernera (idol of Di Stefano) and Joya who don't get their fair dues whilst being legitimate legends in South America.

I found the British draft to be really informative and enjoyable. After all, we mainly play these draft games to learn more about players and for the fun drafting process. I wouldn't mind another one in that vein but with limitations to reduce too many GOATs (limited number of players from BRA, ARG & URU in a team etc) and a drafting process with more curveballs without the Skizzo/Anto like evilness :wenger:.

Just throwing an idea out there, that's all.

Mani

I would recommend voting with comment which makes voting valid, any vote without comment to be considered invalid??:wenger:

I just scan voted

Annahnomoss

I would recommend voting with comment which makes voting valid, any vote without comment to be considered invalid??:wenger:

I just scan voted
I think it is the best idea so far. My own idea previously was to try and have shorter matches, to allow a more active discussion and managers wouldn't have to spend 24 hours by the computer. A 90 minute match would make for a great discussion and draft regulars would of course be much more likely to vote than in a 24 hour time limit.

Mani

I think it is the best idea so far. My own idea previously was to try and have shorter matches, to allow a more active discussion and managers wouldn't have to spend 24 hours by the computer. A 90 minute match would make for a great discussion and draft regulars would of course be much more likely to vote than in a 24 hour time limit.
I agree with shorter matches but discussion for 90 min is too short especially with managers playing from different time zone might find it difficult.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I would like a South american and Eastern europe draft too but selection criteria would have to be carefully formulated to ensure we dig into the unheralded greats a little more.. not just stars from Brazil 70 for example.

antohan

I would like a South american and Eastern europe draft too but selection criteria would have to be carefully formulated to ensure we dig into the unheralded greats a little more.. not just stars from Brazil 70 for example.
16 teams x 10 outfield players, 160 outfield players from SAM and Eastern Europe? Good enough to bring forth some characters. The depth on some positions will be non-existent, while many a great forward won't make it. Add a blocking round, 16 GOATs gone, mostly fwds. Presto.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
16 teams x 10 outfield players, 160 outfield players from SAM and Eastern Europe? Good enough to bring forth some characters. The depth on some positions will be non-existent, while many a great forward won't make it. Add a blocking round, 16 GOATs gone, mostly fwds. Presto.
Forwards will be easy and wing backs.. it'll be interesting for sure. I really enjoyed the British draft, hopefully this will be the same.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Eastern European? Yay!
This combined draft looks really promising

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I would think any South American or Eastern European draft (or combination of both) should be fairly straightforward because 16 entrants will quickly spread out the legends between the teams. It wouldn't need to be overly complicated. You'd also get into the problem with lack of TV footage for the earlier greats and there's shedloads of those given South America won 5 out of the 8 World Cups until colour TV illuminated the top boys in 1970. Nevertheless, you'd easily get away with a 16-team SA draft, probably an 8 or 12 team set-up for Eastern Europe. Not sure about combining both as it's not clear what connection there is between the two.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I've no idea why you'd want to combine Eastern Europe and South America, there's really nothing that connects them?

I'd say, @antohan should run a South American draft without being allowed to give any advise to any of the managers. He can decide if he wants to add criteria or make it a sheep draft or a reality draft or whatever.

I thought about running a UEFA Euro draft similar to the World Cup draft we had, because many European players had great tournaments at the Euro but failed to do the same at the World Cup. I'm pretty sure many Eastern European stars are included in that list. If the player pool isn't big enough, we might need to extend it. I'd add the participating teams in the "quarterfinals" from 1960 - 1976 to the player pool as well, even though they weren't really part of the final tournament before the extension to 8 teams in 1980. That should give us enough players to choose from for a 16manager draft.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Oh just to make it clear, I didn't want a combined one. Didn't really make that clear from my post. I just meant I like both regions and would like drafts to cover them. Separating them seems sensible and pretty logical tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.