Ideas For Fantasy Draft Match Threads (New Ways Of Playing Out Matches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I've no idea why you'd want to combine Eastern Europe and South America, there's really nothing that connects them?

I'd say, @antohan should run a South American draft without being allowed to give any advise to any of the managers. He can decide if he wants to add criteria or make it a sheep draft or a reality draft or whatever.

I thought about running a UEFA Euro draft similar to the World Cup draft we had, because many European players had great tournaments at the Euro but failed to do the same at the World Cup. I'm pretty sure many Eastern European stars are included in that list. If the player pool isn't big enough, we might need to extend it. I'd add the participating teams in the "quarterfinals" from 1960 - 1976 to the player pool as well, even though they weren't really part of the final tournament before the extension to 8 teams in 1980. That should give us enough players to choose from for a 16manager draft.
No time mate and, frankly, whatever time I have I would prefer to dedicate to helping people wanting to know more about X, Y or Z. I can contribute a lot more that way than running it. After all, the point of it for most managers would be the learning about new players?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
No time mate and, frankly, whatever time I have I would prefer to dedicate to helping people wanting to know more about X, Y or Z. I can contribute a lot more that way than running it. After all, the point of it for most managers would be the learning about new players?
Yeah in theory. But I could see you being too much involved in too many teams instead and you can already appear to be very dominant, you shouldn't overshadow the whole draft, if you get what I mean. You know I value your opinion and love your stories of course. I'd rather see you stay neutral and give your opinion in the match threads in a less dominant way ;). It would be great if you ran the draft and came up with criteria that forced the managers to look into certain parts of the game in Southamerica though. Maybe as a snakedraft with criteria, we had that before in the reality draft, along with a few hints where to look and how to find some of the gems.

Of course, if you don't have the time, it's not possible. But I think it could be brilliant that way.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah in theory. But I could see you being too much involved in too many teams instead and you can already appear to be very dominant, you shouldn't overshadow the whole draft, if you get what I mean. You know I value your opinion and love your stories of course. I'd rather see you stay neutral and give your opinion in the match threads in a less dominant way ;). It would be great if you ran the draft and came up with criteria that forced the managers to look into certain parts of the game in Southamerica though. Maybe as a snakedraft with criteria, we had that before in the reality draft, along with a few hints where to look and how to find some of the gems.

Of course, if you don't have the time, it's not possible. But I think it could be brilliant that way.
Nah, no time. Point taken re: the dominance thing. Don't think it would have an impact as there would be far too many players I would want to see getting a fair audition. Would probably be a mixture of feeding back to people considering picks via PM (not actively picking) and commenting on gamethread on whatever comes up.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I've no idea why you'd want to combine Eastern Europe and South America, there's really nothing that connects them?

I'd say, @antohan should run a South American draft without being allowed to give any advise to any of the managers. He can decide if he wants to add criteria or make it a sheep draft or a reality draft or whatever.

I thought about running a UEFA Euro draft similar to the World Cup draft we had, because many European players had great tournaments at the Euro but failed to do the same at the World Cup. I'm pretty sure many Eastern European stars are included in that list. If the player pool isn't big enough, we might need to extend it. I'd add the participating teams in the "quarterfinals" from 1960 - 1976 to the player pool as well, even though they weren't really part of the final tournament before the extension to 8 teams in 1980. That should give us enough players to choose from for a 16manager draft.
Yes, reckon there's mileage in that. The World Cup one was a success and both managers and voters were true to the spirit of the draft.

NM

So what's going on here then? When's the next one?

NM

@Edgar Allan Pillow I have an idea for a controversial theme. I can try and run it after yours maybe, or we can talk via PM about incorporating it in yours?

NM

ok.. so after talking with EAP.. I've been thinking of a draft with the following theme.

Here's how it would work: In the first 3 rounds, each person would HAVE to pick a Forward/Winger, midfielder, and a defender.

The catch is the owner requires that the side is built around those players, and the draft voting is done in that manner too - not only who is the best side in the draft, but how well they are using their key players. For example, Xavi/Iniesta and Messi would obviously win (so they would be banned/controlled somehow) or something like that.

3 players may be too much, or this could be wayyyy too complicated, but I was thinking about it..

Additionally, we could do another draft like the Manager draft, but with a player instead. For example, you pick Beckham in Round 1, and pick 11 players he played with in his career.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
For example, you pick Beckham in Round 1, and pick 11 players he played with in his career.
The pool will be a real problem.

On the first one - nice idea

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Agree with harms and prefer the first theme, which I think is a great idea and a bit different.

The latter theme seems too easy in terms of drafting, like the manager draft where there was barely any overlap when picking players.

NM

FFS I've never run a draft and am on the east coast in the US. Would definitely need somebody to help me run it/keep it straight. Plus I want to play too! @Edgar Allan Pillow run your draft, and by then I'll have finalized this one.

NM

The pool will be a real problem.

On the first one - nice idea
Yeah I love the Beckham theme. Count me in.
Agree with harms and prefer the first theme, which I think is a great idea and a bit different.

The latter theme seems too easy in terms of drafting, like the manager draft where there was barely any overlap when picking players.
ok I'll try to come up with a balanced idea. Let's have EAP run his first if he wants to

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
ok.. so after talking with EAP.. I've been thinking of a draft with the following theme.

Here's how it would work: In the first 3 rounds, each person would HAVE to pick a Forward/Winger, midfielder, and a defender.

The catch is the owner requires that the side is built around those players, and the draft voting is done in that manner too - not only who is the best side in the draft, but how well they are using their key players. For example, Xavi/Iniesta and Messi would obviously win (so they would be banned/controlled somehow) or something like that.

3 players may be too much, or this could be wayyyy too complicated, but I was thinking about it..

Additionally, we could do another draft like the Manager draft, but with a player instead. For example, you pick Beckham in Round 1, and pick 11 players he played with in his career.
My only issue with that is voters already take into account fit and balance. It's essentially why Kps didn't win the draft, because he didn't have the right framework to get the best out of his star men Platini and Garrincha, whereas Cutch was delightfully balanced. It's also why someone like Xavi for instance rarely gets the credit he deserves unless he's with his Barcelona colleagues. So while I agree with the theory and principle, I'm not sure it's going to work out particularly different from any normal draft.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Mine was supposed to be a time filler with what you all wanted going by previous comments. I've decided to keep it simple...

The Current Players Draft

1. Pool:
1.1 - All players born on or after 01-Jan-1980.​

2. Blocks:
2.1 - Each manager can nominate 1 players to add to block pool based.​

3. Team Composition: -
3.1 - Teams must have 2 youth players (born post 1/1/1990) in playing 11 for all rounds.
3.2 - Not more than 2 players from same country.
4. Team Limit:
4.1 - Restricted to 12 players overall. Reinforcements will be pick one/drop one basis. You may choose to 'pass' on reinforcement round. Dropped players will be available for picking by managers down the snake.​

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Wasn't the point of a modern draft to avoid the whole 'how to compare players from different eras'-dilemma? Similar with the ideas of Southamerican or Eastern European drafts. The point was to bring the lesser known players into the light, not just pick the obvious ones again because every team needs only 2 of them? Throwing those three themes together and add a few alltime picks on top achieves the exact opposite.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
No, not now. I don't mind your draft idea by the way, I won't play. Just thought it's worth pointing out what was the original intension behind those ideas. But if enough managers want to play it, just go for it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure I like all of these ideas lumped together Ed, South America and Eastern Europe deserve proper attention and I'd like to be able to pick unknown greats from these regions. Stick to a modern one only for now and remove the South American/Eastern stuff.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
12 blocked players could make it very lack luster. I would just ban Messi and Ronaldo.. that's it.

MDFC Manager

This time I want to play in a supporting role. I can research and give my thoughts but mainly, I want to see how one of the experienced lads do their stuff from up close.

VivaJanuzaj

I personally prefer the idea of a current-ish draft, maybe even another nationality draft(1 player from each nation which is always fun) from 70s born forward?

Skizzo

Hello @Edgar Allan Pillow I would be interested in participating in one of your well crafted, and fun sounding drafts. Any previous hard feelings between us was surely a product of @Balu and his schemes. I often would try and talk him out of his ploys against you, but he hit me with a stick and told me to go back to bed so he could post up the threads.

So with all that in mind, I would like to be included in your draft and treated fairly, with no malice or shenanigans :)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Not sure I like all of these ideas lumped together Ed, South America and Eastern Europe deserve proper attention and I'd like to be able to pick unknown greats from these regions. Stick to a modern one only for now and remove the South American/Eastern stuff.
Yeah that seems fair to focus on the present day. Looking ahead you could get a 8-team Eastern European draft with no restrictions and a 16-team South American one no problems.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are certain characters who regularly feature in drafts, Thiago Silva, Robben, Ribery, Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta etc. Thought they could be avoided herewith. The pool is certainly big enough for 12 blocks surely?
The pool is big enough, certainly. I would question the necessity of blocking a dozen players, though. It's true enough that the above names feature regularly, but barring Messi and Ronaldo none of them are likely to win votes just by being there. If you ban those two, you've done much to combat predictability and scan voter...er...friendliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.