Idrissa Gueye is one of the signings of the season

Ban

So let me get this straight. A thread about en Everton midfield player is abused with comparisons of Spurs and United players by an usual suspect who must react every time a Spurs player is mentioned.
Beautiful.

AshfordLad

Schneiderlin is a "better version of Dier"? Dream on.

He can't even get into your first XI ahead of donkey Fellaini.
Is there some sort of forum functionality that alerts you when a spurs player is mentioned.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

They don't have to be in the PL right now, and there probably are players who could do a similar role in a great team if I could be bothered to think.

Many, many great/good teams have had a guy who is praised for 'providing balance', who generally goes around kicking people and doing the work of two of his more talented teammates. They usually don't cost those teams much either, often picked up for a bargain, or discovered after having been knocking around in their set-up for a while, sometimes even in a different position.

For example, the praise an ordinary Coquelin, who was pulled back from loan at fecking Charlton, received when he returned and became a player Arsenal couldn't leave out, simply because he is aggressive and closes down, tells enough. This is often the route these players take into top teams, as opposed to signing for £32m, which your lot spent on Kante a year after he was picked up for £5m in his mid twenties. Staying with Arsenal, Flamini had a similar season - highly praised for doing the dirty work and being one of the best players for a year. Again, he is still only Mathieu Flamini. No footballing great, but when you acknowledge your limitations amongst better players and are willing to work tirelessly, you can rack up many MOTM awards.

I will continue. Last season's Champions League winners had 'no balance' until they brought Casemeiro back from loan in Portugal, as after all, someone needs to kick opponents. His contribution has been praised to the heavens, and he did a good job, but the point is, no transfer records need to be smashed for these players, valuable as they are. They are usually picked up from obscurity but have the right attitude. Top teams will continue to find players who can do this for them, and I'd wager that they will continue to find them for south of £15m too.

United have had Phil fecking Neville winning MOTM awards against Arsenal's for doing similar jobs in midfield. It's one of the easier jobs to fill, should you wish to deploy such a player. It will cost you far less, and is less rare a skill set than the midfielder who invariably lines up alongside him.

Marouane Fellaini has 'excelled' so far this season when all footballing responsibilities have been taken from him, and he's been made to understand his role is to tackle and kick people. None of this ' he should be played off the striker' or 'he's a box to box player'. He suddenly looks very good when just asked to work hard.
Your refusal to grade combative midfielders is quite frankly absurd. It just doesn't make sense. Any type of player can be picked up from obscurity. Two of the most skilful players in the league(Payet and Mahrez) weren't big names before last season and are now considered some of the best players in the league. If you cant see that there's a difference in the quality of defensive work that is done by a Kante to that, that was done by Butt and Neville then there's very little I can say to you.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So let me get this straight. A thread about en Everton midfield player is abused with comparisons of Spurs and United players by an usual suspect who must react every time a Spurs player is mentioned.
Beautiful.
I presume you mean NoPace, who first introduced the comparison between Schneiderlinn and Dier into this thread.

Also, if you've got something interesting to say about Gueye - or Kante or Schneiderlinn or Dier any of the off-shoot, but-related topics that inevitably crop up in threads like this - then I'd guess you'd say it ... instead of wasting space with such totally off-topic, self-righteous and ill-informed crap.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is there some sort of forum functionality that alerts you when a spurs player is mentioned.
There is some hidden feature for sure. I see that with spurs fans and pep fanboys.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, the donkey that played due a bad managerial decision by the (now sacked) Belgium national manager.

Thinking that Dembele is far better than Fellaini doesn't make me one of the worst posters ... it makes me a poster who knows their onions.
And I rest my case.

The funny thing is you don't even get the point.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There is some hidden feature for sure. I see that with spurs fans and pep fanboys.
We get alerts to our phone and we have a secret vibrating alarm that is always attached to our inner thigh primed to make us walk funny as soon as Spurs or a Spurs player is mentioned on redcafe. I walk funny quite a lot these days.

Ban

I presume you mean NoPace, who first introduced the comparison between Schneiderlinn and Dier into this thread.

Also, if you've got something interesting to say about Gueye - or Kante or Schneiderlinn or Dier any of the off-shoot, but-related topics that inevitably crop up in threads like this - then I'd guess you'd say it ... instead of wasting space with such totally off-topic, self-righteous and ill-informed crap.
You talking about off-topic? Really? :lol:
As I said Spurs players defender to the rescue in every possible thread.
Do you spend your days searching for a name of Spurs players among all the threads?

NoPace

Not true. Dier has been tremendous under Poch, which is why he's one of the first names on the England team sheet these days.

And it would be a big surprise if Wanyama displaces Dier - unlikely to happen.
Dier has been good, but what the hell is your point? Schneiderlin got into the French team after improving under Poch.

You can't just rate every Spurs player. It's hacky. Poch is such a good manager that he makes good but limited players who are athletic, like Walker and Dier, look better than they are.

But in terms of genuine feck off quality, I think it's Alderweild, Dele Alli (who looks like Lampard to me with his incredible late runs and through balls), Lloris , Vertonghen, Dembele and once fall comes or he gets the rest he presumably needs, Kane. Eriksen is a nice player but 10s are easy to come by (as Mata has found).

The rest are just solid Europa league players doing well under one of the best managers in the world.

Not a single wide player of any note, still. It's good in that it illustrates an obvious way to keep improving for Spurs, by finding a proper star winger (or 2).

NoPace

Yes. He's 'tireless', and 'wins the ball a lot'. Like Idrissa Gueye. Like Flamini once upon a time. Like Coquelin was. Like Caseimero does. Like Phil fecking Neville did for a period.

He's no Pirlo. For me, he's not even Darren Fletcher in terms of ability on the ball and attacking contribution in his prime.
Kante might be limited but he's at another level to most top players at what he's best at. Like Van Nistelrooy in the box or Beckham with crossing.

Not just top 1% but top 1% of the top 1%.

Welbeckham

Kante is a fantastic footballer, lightyears above Schneiderlin and Dier (superior stamina, intelligence and especially technique). I haven't seen much of Gueye, but I definitely will. Us signing a player from last season's Villa would have been interesting just for the reaction it would have gotten here.

ATXRedDevil

We never really make these type of signings, but i was wondering in the summer if he was worth taking a punt on instead of splashing 30m on Kante.

Didn't really watch too many games of Villa, but in the ones i did he looked good, plus his defensive stats was only below Kante in the league.

I could see him next to Pogba in front of a pivot. Would give us the right balance in midfield.

Something like:

Pogba - Gueye
-----Weigl-----
I haven't seen this guy play yet, but based on the assessments in this thread as to his strengths and style of play, that sounds like the ideal balance/personnel grouping to get the best out Pogba

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I wanted Gueye at Arsenal, for a couple of seasons before he joined Villa. He has the workrate and defensive ability to protect the defense while being able to drbble the ball up the pitch with pace and picking decent, while not devastating, passes. I thought he'd prove to be one of the bargains last year and he was still good in a poor Villa outfit.

As for rival fans comparing different defensive midfielders, well let's be honest, the only defensive midfielder you've watched intensively is your own, so you have a soft spot for him because he's saved you time and again. You're not objectively watching each player under a microscope, you're just picking your man.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Your refusal to grade combative midfielders is quite frankly absurd. It just doesn't make sense. Any type of player can be picked up from obscurity. Two of the most skilful players in the league(Payet and Mahrez) weren't big names before last season and are now considered some of the best players in the league. If you cant see that there's a difference in the quality of defensive work that is done by a Kante to that, that was done by Butt and Neville then there's very little I can say to you.
I have no refusal to rate the job they do, my refusal is to overrate the qualitiea required to do it. Of course, as flavour of the month, Kante will obviously seen as 'better' than all those who have done the job before him.

People loke Nicky Butt were deemed good enough to do the job for one of the best clubs in the world for years, and would have been deemed good enough to do it for Leicester City if he were in his prime now. He wasn't an automatic regular because it was recognised that his skillset, while useful, was still not as valuable as that of Keane and Scholes. The same assessment would be made of Kanté if compared with Keane and Scholes.

Kanté is very good at what he does, but the elements have been kind to him establishing the profile he has done. He's not a fecking midfield genius. He's a tackler and a runner, and there have been many before and will be many after. Most of them would be considered to have made it pro for more their hard work than natural ability.

It is not discrimination against defensive midfielders. Kanté is no Rijkaard. Kanté is no Busquets. Only circumstances really separate Kanté and Gueye in my view, there is very little between them in terms of ability, and probably many more like them, some playing at big clubs, some playing at smaller ones.

The skillset required to be a useful midfielder in the Kanté mould are largely physical. Stamina, speed, strength, size - if you have these you only need to be able to play a bit in order to have a chance. Dier was put there as a centre half, but was seen to probably have enough footballing ability to do that role, as his physical attributes were probably largely what counts. Rio Ferdinand was also tried there because he can 'play a bit'. Neither Dier or Rio would have been tried 10 yards further forward though. Nor would Kanté. Busquets, Rijkaard, Pirlo, Redondo, Alonso - they could probably play number 10 if needed.

Kanté does a job that is very valuable in the team. I don't belittle his role at all. Still, his job is one that teams could more likely find a left back or centre half to cover in a time of need than that of Fabregas who plays alongside him. Hence why the Fabregas role tends to cost big clubs more money to fill,and the candidates are much rarer. I honestly reckon United could have signed Fabinho, predominantly a right back, who would have excelled if used at DM here. He's good there. Largely because he's big and strong and can play a bit. Not the rarest skill set. Fosu Mensah is also seen as a CB and DM, largely for being physically excellent and technically above average.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
People loke Nicky Butt were deemed good enough to do the job for one of the best clubs in the world for years, and would have been deemed good enough to do it for Leicester City if he were in his prime now. He wasn't an automatic regular because it was recognised that his skillset, while useful, was still not as valuable as that of Keane and Scholes. The same assessment would be made of Kanté if compared with Keane and Scholes.

Kanté is very good at what he does, but the elements have been kind to him establishing the profile he has done. He's not a fecking midfield genius. He's a tackler and a runner, and there have been many before and will be many after. Most of them would be considered to have made it pro for more their hard work than natural ability.
I'm not sure if you guys are aware but there's debates on redcafe from the time arguing that Butt and Keane should start with Scholes benched. Butt was a very good DM. Kante has an immense engine but so does Gueye and statistically they nigh on mirror each other in terms of tackles/interceptions, both can drive the ball up the field with their pace/dribbles, Gueye has a better passing accuracy.

Actually Kante is kind of comparable engine wise to a prime Keane, not as good a passer though.

RooneyLegend

I'm not sure if you guys are aware but there's debates on redcafe from the time arguing that Butt and Keane should start with Scholes benched. Butt was a very good DM. Kante has an immense engine but so does Gueye and statistically they nigh on mirror each other in terms of tackles/interceptions, both can drive the ball up the field with their pace/dribbles, Gueye has a better passing accuracy.

Actually Kante is kind of comparable engine wise to a prime Keane, not as good a passer though.
That's cause Scholes in his prime was a defensive liability and while we coped easily in the league as we could overrun most teams in Europe it was a different matter altogether as we often played against 3 men midfields with Keane trying to cover everything. It had nothing to do with how good Butt was.

RooneyLegend

I have no refusal to rate the job they do, my refusal is to overrate the qualitiea required to do it. Of course, as flavour of the month, Kante will obviously seen as 'better' than all those who have done the job before him.

It is not discrimination against defensive midfielders. Kanté is no Rijkaard. Kanté is no Busquets. Only circumstances really separate Kanté and Gueye in my view, there is very little between them in terms of ability, and probably many more like them, some playing at big clubs, some playing at smaller ones.

The skillset required to be a useful midfielder in the Kanté mould are largely physical. Stamina, speed, strength, size - if you have these you only need to be able to play a bit in order to have a chance. Dier was put there as a centre half, but was seen to probably have enough footballing ability to do that role, as his physical attributes were probably largely what counts. Rio Ferdinand was also tried there because he can 'play a bit'. Neither Dier or Rio would have been tried 10 yards further forward though. Nor would Kanté. Busquets, Rijkaard, Pirlo, Redondo, Alonso - they could probably play number 10 if needed.

Kanté does a job that is very valuable in the team. I don't belittle his role at all. Still, his job is one that teams could more likely find a left back or centre half to cover in a time of need than that of Fabregas who plays alongside him. Hence why the Fabregas role tends to cost big clubs more money to fill,and the candidates are much rarer. I honestly reckon United could have signed Fabinho, predominantly a right back, who would have excelled if used at DM here. He's good there. Largely because he's big and strong and can play a bit. Not the rarest skill set. Fosu Mensah is also seen as a CB and DM, largely for being physically excellent and technically above average.
I'm not saying you refuse to rate his qualities, I'm saying you have a refusal to grade him against other players with similar qualities and just presume that any of half a gazzilion mids could do his job, to the level he does it which is frankly absurd. I don't see the reason to compare him to most of the players you have cause most of them cant do what he can do. Football is a sport of roles, when it comes to his role if used correctly and not asked to sit, he can be an important cog in a title winning side.

Take Busquets for example, he's a hell of a holding mid. But there are lots of holding mids out there who can do a lot of what he can do, difference is not many can do it to the level he can hence hes so valuable to barca. Sidenote: Pirlo almost didn't have the career he had cause he wasn't impressive at all as a no10. All you're saying is that hes not all that great with what he can do with the ball and that's true, however it was also true for edgar davids who was a monster of a midfielder during his time. Would he be better if he could pass like other great mids? obviously.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Think the praise has gone over the top a little....he is having a very good start but so is Gareth Barry and nobody even mentions him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yes, the donkey that played due a bad managerial decision by the (now sacked) Belgium national manager.

Thinking that Dembele is far better than Fellaini doesn't make me one of the worst posters ... it makes me a poster who kno
ws their onions.
You know jack shit most of the time due to your inane Spurs bias. Inspite of Dembele'sz superior talent he is no where near Fellaini's level in a Belgium shirt. The only thing you are right about is Dier is a better 6 than Schneiderlin.

Last edited:

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Did his lack of reaction save Rojo there?
Maybe, but I like him even more as a footballer now. Brilliant to see that mentality of always focusing on doing your job and winning the ball, rather than trying to provoke a reaction from the ref through play-acting. Poor from Oliver to not show the red though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he's been really good on Pogba today. Not allowing him to dribble through at all. Quite handy on the ball too, so I would definitely be open to replacing Schneiderlin with him. Looked very impressive all season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Thought he's been really good on Pogba today. Not allowing him to dribble through at all. Quite handy on the ball too, so I would definitely be open to replacing Schneiderlin with him. Looked very impressive all season.
Swapsies.

How good is he on the ball? Schniederlin can run around and close players down very well when given that role. Has struggled when having to move the ball quickly and dictate a game.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Chill guys - Morgan has had better games for Southampton.

Skills

Snitch
Nah. Carrick can replace Schneiderlin as the player who never has to play.

We get some real first team quality in place of Carrick for next season.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
The way he's dominated Pogba today Koeman would prob tell us they want more money than we paid for Pogba.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah. Carrick can replace Schneiderlin as the player who never has to play.

We get some real first team quality in place of Carrick for next season.
Yeah true. Gueye probably not good enough and not exactly the type needed behind pogba and herrera. Still a decent player though