If Ole is sacked tomorrow...

hungrywing

Yeah most of these hipster managers will know about how crap we are run and rightfully run a mile
It's pretty worrying. Woodward's the gift that keeps taking.

Imagine one of those managers coming in, immediately getting us competing with no new signings; the fanbase over the moon with delight. And then around eighteen months in, Woody's desperate need to be in the limelight and calling some footballing shots rearing its tiny wormy wriggling head.

It'd be weird working under the cloud of that possibility.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
4 Ole threads? :lol:

If he is sacked there is only Poch to consider. None of the German coaches will leave until the end of the season with RBL and BMG doing rather well

hubbuh

1. Moyes - 10 years of mid table at Everton with a defensive style and never really showing much more than mid-table pedigree. Obvious he was going to fail.
  2. Van Gaal - Was able to coach his style where we would play our game against any opponent, unfortunately his style was being obsessed with possession and not taking any risks on the ball. Long past his decline anyway.
  3. Mourinho - First year won 3 trophies, 2nd year finished 2nd behind City with 100 points. Mourinho never lasts more than 2 years, things turned sour. Play style was never his thing, he is always a reactive manager who thrives on being the underdog and battling through. That only lasts so long and is always an issue with the biggest clubs
  4. Ole - Failed at Cardiff. Did well enough with Molde in the Norwegian league. Only reason he was even mentioned was because he was a previous United player. Playing style proven to be nothing but reacting to the opponents to counter attack, or battle and work as hard as possible and be entirely reliant on individual quality to do anything.
It's been 4 appointments, with only Van Gaal who was a manager known for implementing a style of play (and he was a manager who was notorious to be a bit insane, really hard to work with, fell out with every team he worked with, obsessed with possession and 0 risk taking, etc). Why don't we act like a truly big club, and get a manager who wants their team to play a system that acts like the bigger team. We haven't had a manager who plays on the front foot, who imposes themselves on the opponents and tries to make things happen.

The personnel we have in our squad is fine. The issue is we just don't look well coached, at all. So many times we don't know what we're doing. We're 100% reliant on individual quality and mentality. It's a testament to what we have that we finished 3rd last year and are only 2 points off this year, despite being entirely reliant on individual quality and mentality. Because our coaching/system/play style is pretty much non existant.
Good post. More than anything I just want to see United asking the questions and playing proactive football again. Ole has a few guiding principles (emphasis on youth, 'right' personality etc.) which seemed to convince Woodward, but we need a footballing identity. Our style of play is essentially non existent and has been for a long time.

The other alarming thing is the people we have installed in positions of leadership and decision-making throughout the club (Woodward - CEO, all four managers, Maguire as captain) have all been and continue to be incompetent. A really well picked manager would erase lots of those problems but as soon as that person leaves we are once again at mercy of the top brass pulling the strings. We lack any sort of long term vision for how we want the club to progress. I don't understand why Woodward hasn't brought in anyone to oversee things.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is where LvG and Mourinhos troubles with Woodward and particularly Klopp's 'Disneyland' revelation get further highlighted.

One has to assume our manager position is the subject of jokes within the footballing world by now.

Ever worked at a place where your boss was dumber than you? Now imagine that x100.
Now imagine if said person got the backing of 55% of the customer and the board.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
These kind of posts piss me ten times more than the terrible loss. Some can't even respect how angry we're after such a disgraceful night.
You can be angry but we shouldn’t all be saying “Sack the manager!” after every loss it’s getting fecking tedious

hubbuh

You can be angry but we shouldn’t all be saying “Sack the manager!” after every loss it’s getting fecking tedious
It's not always been every loss, though. He's been here for over 2 years. It's an accumulation of bad results, bad performances and bad decisions. Do you think a club like Bayern would be content if they were in our situation? Ole has just broken the record for number of losses in Europe as manager of an English club. Something needs to change.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He has a truly remarkable ability to both pull results out from under the rug when it looks like he's done and also completely feck things up anytime it looks like we may succeed, which leaves him perennially on the cusp of likely not being good enough and showing promise towards becoming good enough.

Sadly it's been two years now and you just can't justify a manager still being like that at this stage. He's given us a better side than we had before he took over and gotten rid of some awful deadwood in the process which he deserves a lot of respect for but he clearly isn't up to it for taking us to the next level and I think as a result, he should go, providing we can get the right replacement.

Gabagoo

Jose? I'm joking, he wouldn't come back to work for that useless "expert banker".

I want a manager who gets his team's peppering the goal and playing direct football. I don't care about possession, passing rates, 'playing through the lines' or any other BS. I want someone that prioritises shots and pace.

hubbuh

He's not their DOF. Marc Overmars is.
Ah yeah, he's the CEO. I can't see them booting out Woodward for Edwin. If he was to accept such a position I'm sure it'd be on the proviso that he gets to restructure things in his vision. Fat chance, sadly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ah yeah, he's the CEO. I can't see them booting out Woodward for Edwin. If he was to accept such a position I'm sure it'd be on the proviso that he gets to restructure things in his vision. Fat chance, sadly.
Maybe we should just bring in Ajax football club.

Tribec

I do like the way Marcelo Gallardo has River Plate playing and they've won the Copa Libertadores twice and finished runners up another time with him. I wouldn't mind him to be honest, but I doubt he'd be even considered, but it's all if's and but's till Ole leaves us.

Mingus

How does the table look since Chelsea signed Werner @Mingus?

How does the table look since Spurs signed Höjbjorg @Mingus?
Before Spurs and Chelsea won their last games (when we'd played the same number of games) we were level on points with Chelsea and two points behind Spurs after no preseason.

What's your point?

Before Liverpool won their last game we were ahead of them in "the league since Bruno" Surely that shows progress?

Ed has accepted that this is a process. Why would he sack someone and start another managerial lottery just because some fans want short term instant success?

Last edited:

frix26

Has to be Poch for me. I’ve always liked the way his teams play. The German options are also interesting.

I’m tired of watching Ole’s United.
Think Poch would be no. 1 choice: knows league, sides play attractive football. Players appear to play for him. Granted, fell away after the CL final defeat but perhaps inevitable. Also, free and available

Nagelsmann would be a left field choice in the style of AVB at Chelsea. Leipzig looked incredible for 30 mins and you feel with a steadier CH and GK and a prolific striker they could go close to winning the CL. If he stays at RB this year, fully expect Europe’s bigger sides to come calling next year - Barca, Real, maybe Inter to name but 3.

croadyman

I personally see them licking their lips at the squad we have
Maybe so but then you realise that there are total clowns running the club so there won't be a proper recruitment policy.

You only have to look at how Woody has already gone back on what he said when Jose got sacked as to why he can't be trusted.