If we finish 4th, should Ole get the job full time? [Poll added]

If we finish in the top 4 should Ole be made permanent manager?

• Total voters

Frank Grimes

We should be in the market for the best young managers in Europe, is Solskjaer one of them?, of course not. Don't want this to sound like I'm anti Solskjaer as he is one of my favourite ever players and he has conducted himself with the class we expect of the guy since he was confirmed interim manager and has lifted the teams spirits magnificently but we can't bring sentiment into this decision.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
We should be in the market for the best young managers in Europe, is Solskjaer one of them?, of course not. Don't want this to sound like I'm anti Solskjaer as he is one of my favourite ever players and he has conducted himself with the class we expect of the guy since he was confirmed interim manager and has lifted the teams spirits magnificently but we can't bring sentiment into this decision.
I don't think it's sentiment. Did you think the same when Zidane took over from Benitez?

How do you know Ole isn't a top manager in the making?

I personally think it's too early to tell at the minute. That's the point. We should wait and assess properly in the summer.

el3mel

He wasn't going to win every game mate. No one will. If he keeps on with the same rate like these last 9 matches he should definitely get the job.

Frank Grimes

I think you're being a bit unfair on Ole there. I don't think it's sentiment. Did you think the same when Zidane took over from Benitez?

How do you know Ole isn't a top manager in the making?

I personally think it's too early to tell at the minute. That's the point. We should wait and assess properly in the summer.
I agree with your last sentence, way too early to tell but some people are definite he is the man who should take us forward already. I feel that's way too hasty.

Frank Grimes

He wasn't going to win every game mate. No one will. If he keeps on with the same rate like these last 9 matches he should definitely get the job.
Time will tell, I'd love him to be a success but lets wait until the end of the season. Put it this way and I know I'm in the minority here, if you gave me a choice between Solskjaer and Pochettino now It would be any easy decision for me.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I agree with your last sentence, way too early to tell but some people are definite he is the man who should take us forward already. I feel that's way too hasty.
I agree. Anything can happen between now and the summer. We have loads of difficult games coming up. The games with PSG will be exciting. All we can hope is that he carries on the way he has started. He couldn't have conducted himself any better imo.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
For all we know it's all down to Phelan. Or Carrick. We just don't know that much about Ole's contribution to all this.

That's why we need to appoint a really good DoF and then let them make the call. Anything else is repeating the mistakes of the past.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
For all we know it's all down to Phelan. Or Carrick. We just don't know that much about Ole's contribution to all this.

That's why we need to appoint a really good DoF and then let them make the call. Anything else is repeating the mistakes of the past.
We need to appoint whoever vetoed Mourinho's targets/backed Pogba & Martial as our DoF. That guy is a legend.

Imagine if we went through with the Martial - Perišić swap. A guy Arsenal are currently trying to get in a loan deal for £4m :lol:

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Time will tell, I'd love him to be a success but lets wait until the end of the season. Put it this way and I know I'm in the minority here, if you gave me a choice between Solskjaer and Pochettino now It would be any easy decision for me.
If it's a straightforward choice between the two and someone doesn't go for Poch, then they are being romantic and choosing the local club hero. Fact is though, we'd have to break the bank for Poch and he still may not come and in that case Solskjaer may not be a bad option.

Will Singh

I”m the OP,I”m not against Ole getting the job...But I think it’s utterly idiotic to jump to the conclusion that there shouldn’t be any debate any more,and we should just give him the job.Thankfully the people who run this club aren’t so brain dead...

As for the managers who we could try to sign,there’s a manager who won 3 Championsleagues in a row available right now....I don’t care what anybody says,no matter how good your team is,only a very very talented coach/manager can guide his team to 3 CL’s in a row...

Plenty of managers have had extraordinary teams over the last 25 years,and nobody ever managed to even win 2 CL’s back to back.Not Mourinho....Not Guardiola....Nobody....Obviously Zidane has to be a big candidate,along with pochettino.We can’t close our eyes to all these great managers and just zero in on Ole.

Like I said,I”m not against him getting the job,but it’s still far too early to jump to conclusions and say that nobody but Ole should be considered for the job...
Zidane walked into a squad super team with Ronaldo in it, I know there was a lot more to do for him but United ain't no RM man for man. Poch was my 1st choice up until we played them and seeing he didn't change tactics with he's CB's kept pushing forward leaving space for us, and there fans confirming that he is stubborn with changing he's tactics regardless of how the game is going. Also ain't won nothing like Ole so there is that.

So I still think we have a fantastic opituninty to try before we buy which we ain't had before. I know Ole ain't perfect and has a bit to learn but he's a United man and we won't get a opituninty like this any time soon.

jem

Nobody can be 'definite' about any manager - look at Mourinho - as safe a bet as you could imagine, at least for the short term, and see how that worked out? Guardiola and Zidane were no more experienced than Ole when they took over Barca and Real - in fact, I'd argue that Ole is in some ways better equipped, given that he's coached at youth level, previously in the Prem, and twice with a Norwegian team, which, from what I've read, massively overachieved under his stewardship.

glazed

We need to appoint whoever vetoed Mourinho's targets/backed Pogba & Martial as our DoF. That guy is a legend.
I have visions of Ed Woodward in a tracksuit. With EW monogrammed on it...

Ban

He's the manager, I'd say he has a pretty big contribution.

Bola

Not if he keeps playing Mata on the right flank. We won't win any major trophies with such stupid selections

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can you name some of these best young managers and their achievements, please? I'm not very clued up on football outside of the Premiership.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Not if he keeps playing Mata on the right flank. We won't win any major trophies with such stupid selections
Mata was not playing on the wing. Anyway, need to freshen the squad and avoid injuries. Some very important games on the horizon. What point is there having a squad if they're not playing against a team we should be beating at home even with a few changes?

No team can't play with the same team every game.

klsv

Fully expected to have the idiots out in force after our first bad result. Never wanted Poch here but would love to see all the fanboys turning on him after few weeks in charge as our fans is so fickle. Our next 10 matches include facing Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool and PSG twice. We were never going to go into every match with the same XI. Not Ole that we don't have good enough replacements for our first eleven, although a few here were delusional enough to think Pereira can replace any of our midfielders.

IronCroos37

What if he reaches the fa cup final but looses to penaltys, finishes 5th close to 4th by 2points but still 5th and beats PSG but exist quarters to Real/Barca/Juve.

Everything is almost !! hehe

SirAF

Ageist
What if he wins the fa cup, finishes 5th close to 4th but still 5th and beats PSG but exist quarters to Real/Barca/Juve
That shouldn’t rule him out imo. I think Woodward would require top 4 though.

Bola

Mata was not playing on the wing. Anyway, need to freshen the squad and avoid injuries. Some very important games on the horizon. What point is there having a squad if they're not playing against a team we should be beating at home even with a few changes?

No team can't play with the same team every game.
If OGS is serious about youth, now is the time to use them.

I sick of the 'repeating the same thing and expecting a different result' rotation selections. Unless he is playing in a defind AM role with width and pace around him, Mata is barely Prem standard*, while we all know Lukakus sevre limitations as a central striker in our set-up

Surly it has to be worth giving the kids a chance to see if they can step up?

* I'd say he is world class when played there

Beaucoup

What if he reaches the fa cup final but looses to penaltys, finishes 5th close to 4th by 2points but still 5th and beats PSG but exist quarters to Real/Barca/Juve.

I think finishing 5th might work in his favour as we might struggle to recruit the best candidate without CL football

shaky

What if it is down to Phelan or Carrick, and then a new manager comes in and they head for the exit? Repeating the mistakes of the past would be breaking up an effective management/coaching team, like we did when Moyes turned up, or bringing in a "big name", like LVG or Mourinho, and expecting them to simply replicate their peak at Utd. How would keeping Ole on be a repeat of a past mistake? Maybe not giving it to Giggs permanently after Moyes left was a mistake. Couldn't have been much worse.

Judas

Open to offers

Depends how he gets the results for me. If we show improvement, a style and less tactical errors with selection, formation and subs then yeah it puts him in a good position to get the job.

I think finishing 5th might work in his favour as we might struggle to recruit the best candidate without CL football
Myth has been destroyed by us loads of times, you don't need CL to get quality players if you've got plenty of money.

My feeling is you dont bring in Ole if you're desperate for CL football next season.If United were that way inclined they would've moved for someone far more experienced.
So I dont think Ole's time here will be sorely based on what he achieves this season.I think raising the spirits within the the club and fanbase ,while producing watchable football, was the real certainties the board expected from Ole's appointment and to be fair they've hit the nail on the head.

I'm expecting a major re-working/transition next season,with or without Ole and CL football.
A new manager set-up,a DOF brought in,players who've been at the club far,far too long should be getting sold-off or released and overall a consistent direction for the club to finally evolve into.
Hopefully the foundation are being put in,though its not going to be a quick fix.I'm expecting us to be in this transition period for alteast 2 seasons.

Viral United

If OGS is serious about youth, now is the time to use them.

I sick of the 'repeating the same thing and expecting a different result' rotation selections. Unless he is playing in a defind AM role with width and pace around him, Mata is barely Prem standard*, while we all know Lukakus sevre limitations as a central striker in our set-up

Surly it has to be worth giving the kids a chance to see if they can step up?

* I'd say he is world class when played there
You completely forgot that Andreas Pereira also played today.

Bola

You completely forgot that Andreas Pereira also played today.
I didn't make it clear in that post, I was referring to the 'new' youngsters like Chong, Gomes and Greenwood

We've had a little taste, but I think they could offer something different as a rotation option.

Glad OGS gave Perreira another chance by the way. Sounds like he didn't take it

Viral United

I didn't make it clear in that post, I was referring to the 'new' youngsters like Chong, Gomes and Greenwood

We've had a little taste, but I think they could offer something different as a rotation option.

Glad OGS gave Perreira another chance by the way. Sounds like he didn't take it
I think it could be either Chong/ Gomes or Perreira to play today, I guess Ole made right decision to play Perreira.
Chong and Gomes is not ready yet, you have to introduce them slowly give them 15 mins here and there, throwing them on starting line up at this stage is not right.

Judas

Open to offers
Chong and Gomes aren't ready. We've seen what can happen when you throw in players who aren't at the required level, they get eaten up just like Pereira did, and has done in basically all his PL appearances.

Honestly if people at the club thought they were ready, you'd see them in the match day squads more often. It's not their time yet. Maybe if the top 4 becomes impossible or we have a ton of injuries they'll get their chance.

Beaucoup

Depends how he gets the results for me. If we show improvement, a style and less tactical errors with selection, formation and subs then yeah it puts him in a good position to get the job.

Myth has been destroyed by us loads of times, you don't need CL to get quality players if you've got plenty of money.
I’m talking about a manager

glazed

What if it is down to Phelan or Carrick, and then a new manager comes in and they head for the exit? Repeating the mistakes of the past would be breaking up an effective management/coaching team, like we did when Moyes turned up, or bringing in a "big name", like LVG or Mourinho, and expecting them to simply replicate their peak at Utd. How would keeping Ole on be a repeat of a past mistake? Maybe not giving it to Giggs permanently after Moyes left was a mistake. Couldn't have been much worse.
Maybe. I would get in a good DoF to analyse the dynamic and then let them decide. I have no clue how to build a long term successful football club. Nor do most of us. I would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Red00012

Big games coming up, 1st points dropped since he took over, let’s see how we respond.
I think it’s his to lose at the moment.

Vfc_brato

Supports
FK Velež
He should have pulled off a CB or RB,LB and go all in last 10-15mins, he is still not ready for the big show cause there will be so many games like this next season, he should have experimented now but im more mad cause Phelan didnt told anything to make him think about other options. ED is happy cause Poch is his man and there is no more doubt about it.

JK-27

Everyone was wondering if Ole could do enough to get the job at Utd and steal it from Poch. No one has ever really thought about whether Poch could completely derail Utd's interest in him over the remainder of the season. While Utd have progressed under Ole, Spurs have regressed - beaten by us, dumped out of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, falling back in the league as we climb it. It looks like Poch now needs to stake a claim for the Utd job more than Ole does. Another trophie-less season from Poch would not make me think he deserves the Utd job.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Everyone was wondering if Ole could do enough to get the job at Utd and steal it from Poch. No one has ever really thought about whether Poch could completely derail Utd's interest in him over the remainder of the season. While Utd have progressed under Ole, Spurs have regressed - beaten by us, dumped out of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, falling back in the league as we climb it. It looks like Poch now needs to stake a claim for the Utd job more than Ole does. Another trophie-less season from Poch would not make me think he deserves the Utd job.
And? Managers have bad months and good months. Guardiola just lost too. Klopp will have a shit month aswell. Using the past month as some sort of decline for poch is very knee jerky. Ole aside poch is a top top manager. I dont care if hes won trophies or not. The guy knows how to build attacking teams simple as that.

Not saying ole doesnt but with Ole time with tell.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That’s nonsense.
Poch has won just two cops del Reyes in his football career. Player and manager! He is not a winner, he’s had one of the best elevens in the league the last few years world class striker, World Cup winning gk and won the total sum of naff all.
Ole has won the champions league as a player so knows the feeling, took over a club and won the league, he’s a winner.
Poch thinks trophies are over rated, no surprise if he’s never one any.

Yea he’s played good football, so has Eddie Howe and numerous other managers.

Preferring ole to Poch is not as simple as being Romantic

If it's a straightforward choice between the two and someone doesn't go for Poch, then they are being romantic and choosing the local club hero. Fact is though, we'd have to break the bank for Poch and he still may not come and in that case Solskjaer may not be a bad option.

Rake

Top 4 + good CL run = Why not? If we hire DoF, i don't see why Ole shouldn't get 1 year contract. It is highly unlikely that a DoF will be able to sort out many of the issues during one summer window anyway.